Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Zlodo posted:

and now for something more relevant to the thread than "c++ is obsolete" fantasies:

why

I really like that they didn't bother to make it automatically pad the line numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the architecture confluent wants you to adopt is more-or-less put all your binlogs in the cloud. then all you have to do is recover and tada fully functional whatever. no its not insane, we promise! only the latest version of each row is retained

interesting as something that could possibly work given unlimited money

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Finster Dexter posted:

Oh geez that sucks. Good luck with that. Sounds like a huge mess :(

could be worse tbh, both were super experienced but were managers so weren't that hands on any more. Still, you need people around who can go "oh yeah I remember why that system exists" for some 15 year old crap.

that person is now me lmao

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

could be worse tbh, both were super experienced but were managers so weren't that hands on any more. Still, you need people around who can go "oh yeah I remember why that system exists" for some 15 year old crap.

that person is now me lmao

congrats on you're job security

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

prisoner of waffles posted:

congrats on you're job security

this is unironically true, though part of me just can't be bothered and is jealous of the payoff they got.

a lot of stuff currently in use by our department was last touched by me and I'm terrible. even worse a lot of stuff I have touched is informed by this thread.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

gonadic io posted:

i'm going to work on the principle that despite it being agreed on in a meeting, nobody is going to do poo poo and i can just ignore it

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

the architecture confluent wants you to adopt is more-or-less put all your binlogs in the cloud. then all you have to do is recover and tada fully functional whatever. no its not insane, we promise! only the latest version of each row is retained

interesting as something that could possibly work given unlimited money

our entire DE team spent a year implementing this for our insanely small and traditional data flow. it never launched and all the DEs quit when they found out they would have to do boring database stuff. our case study is still on confluent's page saying we run it in production.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
It sounds like you could replace kafka with a blockchain and then you're well on your way to being a gazillionaire because blockchain!

Also, what is a DE?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Data Enthusiast

mystes
May 31, 2006

motedek posted:

our entire DE team spent a year implementing this for our insanely small and traditional data flow. it never launched and all the DEs quit when they found out they would have to do boring database stuff. our case study is still on confluent's page saying we run it in production.
Your Data Engineers quit when they realized they would have to deign to use a traditional database as opposed to awesome BIG DATA technologies?

Does having SQL on your resume ruin your data engineer career for life?

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

mystes posted:

Your Data Engineers quit when they realized they would have to deign to use a traditional database as opposed to awesome BIG DATA technologies?

i think it was just that the SQL had users and required maintenance and the kafka was just prototyping connectors in scala or something with no need to deliver anything. the first guy to quit was the only one who was doing the SQL, and it caused a chain reaction

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mystes posted:

true story, our infrastructure is so weird that I frequently have to use Apache Hive to import hdfs paths full of protobufs as a single column table of json, query them with jsonpath expressions inside sql statements, and convert the results to strings to print to the console to get an idea of wtf is happening with our data.

Apache Hive is literally sql implemented on top of map reduce and they try to pitch it as the enterprise data store of the future. it's nuts.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 3, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

unironically glad my job doesn’t involve databases in any way

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Samsung being terrible again, a basic clock HTML app on an ultra-wide stretch TV at thousands of dollars crashes after a few days:

You need to regularly reboot like a Cisco switch with a memory leak. Interestingly this software does have a watchdog so I added that, however Samsung's Tizen software doesn't support a watchdog, so :lol:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

true story, our infrastructure is so weird that I frequently have to use Apache Hive to import hdfs paths full of protobufs as a single column table of json, query them with jsonpath expressions inside sql statements, and convert the results to strings to print to the console to get an idea of wtf is happening with our data.

Apache Hive is literally sql implemented on top of map reduce and they try to pitch it as the enterprise data store of the future. it's nuts.

partition the protobufs by type and then make regular tables???

from where i sit the enterprise data store of the future is csv in s3. with embedded newlines

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

partition the protobufs by type and then make regular tables???

from where i sit the enterprise data store of the future is csv in s3. with embedded newlines

too much work, this is temp tables for one off queries usually, like my boss is like "why is the foo collection flarping instead of farting? can you take a look " and then I just slam out a query to find a few foo protobufs to check their flarp and fart related fields. fortunately were not crazy enough to use hive as a data store the way apache wants you to. it's just a handy way to inspect stuff on hdfs without having to eyeball millions of records.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and who says there are no computer scientists at apple?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

and who says there are no computer scientists at apple?

please, I'm a fart scientist clearly. (jk I have a poetry degree)

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

born to script
type safety is a gently caress
eval em all 2018
i am js man
410, 757,864,530 ignored warnings

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
they shoulda msg_sent a poet

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Snoop into LG's office via screen reflections,

LG apparently testing my app against unreleased TVs. This week it looks like they bumped the Chrome engine running in it so that the CSS height: 100%; broke, works fine in last weeks version. Thanks terrible programmers.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
nice shirt

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i'm jonseing for a terrible programmer side project. i got my arduino "point physical needle towards nearest coffee shop" proof of concepted, my discord bot is feature complete, and I deffo don't want to do anything with a gui.

i could do something with the 0.3 futures alpha but i'm pretty ambivalent about that

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

MrMoo posted:

Snoop into LG's office via screen reflections,

LG apparently testing my app against unreleased TVs. This week it looks like they bumped the Chrome engine running in it so that the CSS height: 100%; broke, works fine in last weeks version. Thanks terrible programmers.

Are you the one that works on stock exchange stuff? Just curious if you worked on this at all: https://jpmorganchase.github.io/perspective/

Written in C++ and compiled for web assembly. Looks pretty hot

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

code:

void sendErrorMessageVersion3(const char* foo, ...) {
  boolean isMessage = TRUE;

if (staticVariable == TRUE) {
    // do thing 
  } else {
    // nothing happens here 
    // it's legitimately like 5 lines of useless comments
  } 

if(isMessage == TRUE) {
    // do another thing 
  } 
} 

every time I find something like this is a little gift

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Finster Dexter posted:

Are you the one that works on stock exchange stuff? Just curious if you worked on this at all: https://jpmorganchase.github.io/perspective/

Something similar with BoA, however their preference was for IronPython. It looks like a basic OLAP cube but they didn't want to use that nomenclature. The charts are from HighCharts.com, semi-commercial, whilst the grid is an opensource project HyperGrid. It's a bit weird as it doesn't really provide much additional value. Downloading a tonne of quotes or trades into the cube is still slow as balls, and all the UI is outsourced.

My main work is with data distribution and real time UI, both of which this project doesn't cover. I do like that it uses web components though, ✅

mystes
May 31, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I wish they had described this as being for "visualization" or something. I ignored it when I saw a link to it yesterday or the day before because when I saw "analytics" I assumed it was for analyzing website traffic or ads or something. I guess maybe I'm not sure what "analytics" actually means?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

mystes posted:

I wish they had described this as being for "visualization" or something. I ignored it when I saw a link to it yesterday or the day before because when I saw "analytics" I assumed it was for analyzing website traffic or ads or something. I guess maybe I'm not sure what "analytics" actually means?

analytics is basically synonymous with data analysis, but your assumption is understandable since the term is so ubiquitous in seo and digital marketing

gotta use the fifty-cent words if you wanna call yourself a growth hacker

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
hey

hey guys

golang

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

hey

hey guys

golang

golang yourself

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
What's happening with Jonathan's Blowlang?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

redleader posted:

hey

hey guys

golang

no u

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

golang yourself

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
They call it go because when you use it you want to go away

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Something similar with BoA, however their preference was for IronPython.

now that's a lang i haven't heard about in awhile

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I wanted to mess around with IronPython and write an addon for OneNote but Microsoft really just doesn't give a poo poo about OneNote desktop so all the information is for the cloud based one and welp

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ironpython just begs the question of why aren't you using a real dot net language

mystes
May 31, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I wanted to mess around with IronPython and write an addon for OneNote but Microsoft really just doesn't give a poo poo about OneNote desktop so all the information is for the cloud based one and welp
If you really wanted to do it for some reason there are some links here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed366aa2-131d-450f-aec8-e123409a29e9/onenote-2010-ribbon-addin?forum=innovateonoffice

It might be easier to start by just using COM to poke around and work out what you want to do, and then once you figure it out just make it into an add on with a toolbar.

The last part might be slightly more annoying in ironpython than c# but as long as you can use ironpython to make com libraries it shouldn't be a problem.

However, consider that: 1) Microsoft in't that interested in the legacy plugin architecture for Office, 2) I believe the non-UWP desktop version of Onenote is basically abandoned, and 3) I don't think very many people were making add-ons for onenote in the first place (compared to Word/Excel).

I honestly wouldn't recommend making any office plugins right now if you can avoid it, because I don't think there's been much adoption of the new javascript apis but the old COM object model apis seem like they might go away at some point, plus it's not clear if Office might end up moving to UWP or something.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
com being insanely flexible and easy to use is both an incredible strength and kind of doom for applications based on it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bloody posted:

ironpython just begs the question of why aren't you using a real dot net language

Dot net languages don't have great analytics support, probably why Microsoft bought R Studio. Everyone uses R or Python with Pandas, Numpy, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bloody posted:

I hate myself and like Python (and python has some nice libs for some things that c# lacks)

mystes posted:

If you really wanted to do it for some reason there are some links here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed366aa2-131d-450f-aec8-e123409a29e9/onenote-2010-ribbon-addin?forum=innovateonoffice

It might be easier to start by just using COM to poke around and work out what you want to do, and then once you figure it out just make it into an add on with a toolbar.

The last part might be slightly more annoying in ironpython than c# but as long as you can use ironpython to make com libraries it shouldn't be a problem.

However, consider that: 1) Microsoft in't that interested in the legacy plugin architecture for Office, 2) I believe the non-UWP desktop version of Onenote is basically abandoned, and 3) I don't think very many people were making add-ons for onenote in the first place (compared to Word/Excel).

I honestly wouldn't recommend making any office plugins right now if you can avoid it, because I don't think there's been much adoption of the new javascript apis but the old COM object model apis seem like they might go away at some point, plus it's not clear if Office might end up moving to UWP or something.

Yeah, my Surface Pro came with both OneNote 2016 and the UWP OneNote. 2016 you can kinda get COM addins working but it required a little pile of workarounds. At one point I had my thing added to the ribbon, and was able to Hello World for what I wanted to do but kinda just fell off working on it after realizing that OneNote is the forgotten child in office and that ~JavaScript~ was going to be the future for OneNote