Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Said it in last month’s thread that I think DC should just take the money fight with Brock and ride off into the sunset, but I get his motivation to fight Jones one last time to avoid having that caveat every time his career is looked back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Untrustable posted:

2. I like McGregor a lot, but I want him to lose. I know it probably won't do anything but I'd like to see him actually do some fights. If he drops a couple he'll still be marketable but we'll hopefully get to see "Redemption arc Conor" where he fights Ferguson, Barboza, maybe Pettis or something. I like his fights. I just think he's way too high on his own supply right now. He needs a good humbling.

Like the humblings he got when Diaz the Lesser rolled off a chaise lounge and choked him out inside two, or when Mayweather Tinkerbelled around him for ten rounds while he rained illegal and ineffective hammer-fists onto the back of Mayweather’s head? There’s no redemption arc for McGregor. He’s not going to be humble or humbled. He’s going to collect massive paychecks for big fights, and push his whiskey while he still can. If he comes up short, he’ll blame it on his chi or whatever, and go back to talking poo poo.

Auron posted:

DC's team really needs to talk some sense into him and avoid a third Jon Jones fight. Drop that stupid LHW title, beat Brock Lesnar for lots of money and retire.

Is anyone aside from Dana White saying DC wants to fight Jones, at all? White is congenitally full of poo poo, so I’m assuming that’s nonsense unless DC or DC’s team are also on record about this.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Rotten Ringsports is a way better name

Hopefully it doesn't get changed back after this month

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol, for some reason Joanna lost her title shot.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1047180509871316992

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Rigel posted:

To someone with weight cutting issues, bit odd

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The side effect of the UFC's new policy about releasing failed drug tests is now I'm just assuming that whenever something like this happens, that it's because of USADA.

Joanna Cheater :smith:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
gotta guarantee shevchenko gets the belt, then they can have her fight joanna

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

The side effect of the UFC's new policy about releasing failed drug tests is now I'm just assuming that whenever something like this happens, that it's because of USADA.

Joanna Cheater :smith:

I think the key is to check her twitter. If she is bitching and complaining about it (as she should), or saying she's hurt then probably not, but if she is eerily quiet....

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah seems to be the new plan in action

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Just give Nate what he wants and book that 165 title fight imo.

Diaz 1, 2, 165

Also BJJ Scout has their pre fight video out for Khabib vs Conor. It's pretty good and worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlvcF2AyZOY

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 2, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rigel posted:

Poirier/Nate not main eventing that card in addition to no Joanna in that fight, yikes

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Conor has spent his career boxing up FWs. Eddie walked directly into McGregor’s power hand over and over. Chad$ said McGregor didn’t hit harder than a lot of FWs, but he was very accurate.

I think McGregor is a pick’em still against a guy like Barboza. Conor’s only chance is a lucky shot.

Remember when Urijah Faber picked up and just moved Conor when they squabbled outside a bathroom a few years ago?

Lmfao

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Chris James 2 posted:

Poirier/Nate not main eventing that card in addition to no Joanna in that fight, yikes

Let us discuss again why UFC sucks now compared to The Old Days

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LobsterMobster posted:

gotta guarantee shevchenko gets the belt, then they can have her fight joanna

Lol

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Chris James 2 posted:

It might still sell OK if Diaz is still on the card. People will just ignore the main event during their buying decision.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol Sijara Eubanks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Ok seriously who even is that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Let us discuss again why UFC sucks now compared to The Old Days

The old days where the bad title fight would still main event over the money match?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Everything Is Exactly The Same And Everyones Just Complaining

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

You guys are yearning for the olden days of the ufc when it was more fun in the same breath you poo poo on women fights when a vacant title is disputed between that european person you've heard of vs Zendaya "Broccoli" Burbanks, make up your drat minds

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lid posted:

Ok seriously who even is that

Had to read her Wikipedia to know and she was on TUF. Has a 3-2 record.

Wikipedia posted:

Eubanks was scheduled to face Nicco Montano on December 1, 2017 at The Ultimate Fighter 26 Finalefor the inaugural UFC Women’s Flyweight title.[6] She was pulled from the fight for kidney failure while trying to make weight and was replaced by Roxanne Modafferi.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
truly an inspired title challenger

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Digital Jedi posted:

Had to read her Wikipedia to know and she was on TUF. Has a 3-2 record.

Is New York really going to sanction that? The UFC might argue that she did really well in TUF, but those don't count.

3-2 against someone who (looks it up) is 15-3 in MMA, and freaking 56-2 in Muay Thai. She's going to get murdered.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Everything Is Exactly The Same And Everyones Just Complaining

No but a lot of people are purposefully misrepresenting the past instead of focusing on why the actual dumb poo poo now is dumb and bad. Like "Wow, that's a dumb fight and worse than the one they were talking up a week ago and LOL it wasn't even signed when Dana said it was." Like when you said UFC was more star based and less brand based when it's the brand and the brand alone keeping them at record profits thanks to all the TV deals while no one watches any of the fights.

It's amazing how quickly UFC became WWE except they don't care if their fighters go to the competition because nothing matters.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 2, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rigel posted:

Is New York really going to sanction that? The UFC might argue that she did really well in TUF, but those don't count.

3-2 against someone who (looks it up) is 15-3 in MMA, and freaking 56-2 in Muay Thai. She's going to get murdered.

They should get leeway because the division was established Dec 1, 2017 - it's less than a year old. But it's NYSAC so who knows

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mewse posted:

They should get leeway because the division was established Dec 1, 2017 - it's less than a year old. But it's NYSAC so who knows

It would have to be in the one state where the commission is weird enough to actually act on a mismatch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

It's amazing how quickly UFC became WWE except they don't care if their fighters go to the competition because nothing matters.

I'm glad Mousasi abandoned ship while he could

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the old ufc was terrible. granted im personally more interested in the athletic aspect so i dont really care if a card is full of debutantes from the united emirates and eastern european oblasts

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The only reason to make this fight is to coronate Shevchenko so its UFC CHAMPION Shevchenko to hype up the inevitable Joanna fight, when Shevchenko shouldn't need a belt to make that.

Best case scenario is we get another Germaine De Randamie situation and we can all hold our head in our hands.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
in fact i think modern mma should be treasured as it is. there really arent that many sports left that cant be completely mastered by an individual athlete

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

It would have to be in the one state where the commission is weird enough to actually act on a mismatch.

Yeah, if this was in Vegas or almost any other state I wouldn't have bothered posting that thought but its New York and they seem to be weirdly picky about the rules so.... yeah. California also may have whined a bit, but they'd probably sanction the fight.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ufc presentation has been stale and bad through both good and bad periods, the shows would be more interesting if there was even a fraction of the fanfare of the last Bellator/RIZIN shows. those shows are more fun to watch even though the calibre of fighters throughout the card is of a way lower standard.

the traditional stripped down UFC presentation only feels really good when the actual fight is so big that it all it needs is bruce buffer to introduce it. I don't want a massive clown show but anything different would be better than 70% of every card feeling like Stupid fuckface 1 & 2 going at it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If I had to pinpoint an event where everything went wrong its UFC 200. An event with Brock Lesnar, Mark Hunt, Daniel Cormier, Anderso Silva, Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar and Cain Velasquez.

And I only remembered that from checking wikipedia - when I remmeber UFC 200 I remember a piss yellow mat and it being headlined by Miesha Tate vs Amanda Nunes after every other title fight fell through but drat it they needed a title in the main event and its been resulted in watered and watered down titles because they must be the main event no matter what.

Though these days they would've just make Brock v Mark an interim title fight and called it a day.

Note: Edgar v Aldo WAS for the interim featherweight championship, but they stuck it fourth from the top. If that had main evented it would've been better but back then interim was less than real belts, a distinction that's become more and more meaningless as the real belts.

Edit also:

The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:[44]

Fight of the Night: Not awarded

laffo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10/1/17925774/jon-jones-responds-to-gsps-ped-criticism-i-guess-brain-damage-is-real
Jon Jones tried to snitch on GSP and failed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I.N.R.I posted:

i think its possible for him to beat jon jones. the first fight was a good showing even if he lost every round. he landed some hard uppercuts. and in the second fight jones was definitely on steroids. maybe cormier was too but theres no evidence to suggest he was

I wonder if DC not wanting to fight JBJ at heavy is just cuz he thinks Jon would put on the extra weight with extra juice, endangering the fight and DC's chances.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Lid posted:

If I had to pinpoint an event where everything went wrong its UFC 200. An event with Brock Lesnar, Mark Hunt, Daniel Cormier, Anderso Silva, Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar and Cain Velasquez.

And I only remembered that from checking wikipedia - when I remmeber UFC 200 I remember a piss yellow mat and it being headlined by Miesha Tate vs Amanda Nunes after every other title fight fell through but drat it they needed a title in the main event and its been resulted in watered and watered down titles because they must be the main event no matter what.

Though these days they would've just make Brock v Mark an interim title fight and called it a day.

Note: Edgar v Aldo WAS for the interim featherweight championship, but they stuck it fourth from the top. If that had main evented it would've been better but back then interim was less than real belts, a distinction that's become more and more meaningless as the real belts.

Edit also:

The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:[44]

Fight of the Night: Not awarded

laffo

i get that 200 was a clusterfuck of titanic proportions, but Nunes thoroughly whipping Tate's rear end ruled

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

LobsterMobster posted:

i get that 200 was a clusterfuck of titanic proportions, but Nunes thoroughly whipping Tate's rear end ruled

oh in a vacuum it did, but it wasnt in a vacuum this was UFC 200, if this was on UFC 199 for example which lead to Bisping v Rockhold being the card of the year it would've ruled harder, its just the number had extra stakes attached.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

in fact i think modern mma should be treasured as it is. there really arent that many sports left that cant be completely mastered by an individual athlete

Yeah the level of athlete has gone way up across the board. It’s only gonna get better

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/ScottCoker/status/1047237433341837312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

This.

This is the nail in the coffin.

• Locked thread