Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

brugroffil posted:

That's not how modern pedagogy is, at least in the US. Critical thinking, problem solving, and fundamental understanding is taught over rote memorization and repetition.

and funny enough it causes endless bitching and moaning from idiot boomers and older gen x that things would ever be taught differently from how they learned it!

The most recent example is literally Common Core mathematics which supplements and replaces some of the rote memorization with a more fundamental understanding of the mechanics of arithmetic.

A fundamental example is going from teaching something like 398 x 5 as (300 x 5) + (90 x 5) + (8 x 5) [the old way] to (400 x 5) - (2 x 5) [one of the Common Core methods]. They equal the same thing, but the latter is a lot easier to do mentally than the former, even if it seems more complicated at face. It also scales better as 39998 x 5 in the former method has a lot more number juggling while the latter method still has the same amount to juggle.

It's a slow process getting people to understand and accept it, but it's getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

The most recent example is literally Common Core mathematics which supplements and replaces some of the rote memorization with a more fundamental understanding of the mechanics of arithmetic.

A fundamental example is going from teaching something like 398 x 5 as (300 x 5) + (90 x 5) + (8 x 5) [the old way] to (400 x 5) - (2 x 5) [one of the Common Core methods]. They equal the same thing, but the latter is a lot easier to do mentally than the former, even if it seems more complicated at face. It also scales better as 39998 x 5 in the former method has a lot more number juggling while the latter method still has the same amount to juggle.

It's a slow process getting people to understand and accept it, but it's getting there.

Yeah, math is the best example. Teaching people to actually understand numbers and have "number sense" rather than a dumb rote algorithm they have to do manually makes a lot of dumb parents very, very upset.

It works in language arts, too, though it's harder to show in a simple example.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Partial quotients is still dumb and inferior to traditional long division :mad:

They'll have to learn the latter for integral calculus anyway!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

im depressed lol posted:

this really saddens me as there seems to be a big initiative in public education to get children taught programming concepts at a younger and younger age. which sounds awesome, but would be disturbing if it crippled their critical thinking skills in this manner. e.g. denial of the natural world vs. a know-it-all, simplified model of the world where variables can be easily accounted for

are arguments like this going to be the default once people who did not grow up with a smartphone die off?

MORE WORKERS FOR OUR COMPANIES!!!!!!!

Just wait for the inevitable tech bubble bursting and watch as another generation of kids told they too could be making 6 figures with one weird trick graduate with crippling debt and at best spotty job prospects.

quote:

398 x 5 as (300 x 5) + (90 x 5) + (8 x 5) [the old way] to (400 x 5) - (2 x 5) [one of the Common Core methods]

The latter is how I do it in my head. Way easier/faster.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Oct 2, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWaJ0sy03g

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
the car company is bad

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I SPENT THOUSANDS OF HOURS RESEARCHING THIS COMPANY

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

Hell if they taught us like that back in the '90s I might have been able to add before getting to college.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If you are a nasty short it's problem good that Elon is back.

Despite being banned from serving as Board Chairmen I'm sure from a de facto day to day operations he will still be running things and making piles of unforced errors.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think my ACT math scores would have been better if I was taught common core. I'm mad no one taught me that way until I saw it going around the internet.

At least now I tip around 20% solidly.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i cant do even basic math without a calculator im literally retarded. and i work in a STEM field

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao at that Vanity article intro

quote:

Back in 1999, a relatively unknown 28-year-old entrepreneur named Elon Musk was filmed on the streets of Palo Alto with his fiancée, Justine Wilson, for a CNN special acknowledging the burgeoning technology bubble emanating from Silicon Valley. The young Musk actually looks something like what one imagines an old Musk may look like a few decades from now—hunched, balding, poorly dressed in an oversized blazer stolen from an AARP ad.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

THS posted:

i cant do even basic math without a calculator im literally retarded. and i work in a STEM field

Does this STEM field include linear fluctuations, fluid dynamics and spherical support?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The thing is that after a certain point in math you no longer do any arithmetic.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Does this STEM field include linear fluctuations, fluid dynamics and spherical support?

no

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Does this STEM field include spherical support?

don't talk about our office chairs like that

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

multiple people i know think it's funny i went to school for "computer stuff" and i still do math and take notes on paper more than they do. yeah it's humorous but im not gonna spend time learning some app to tally some numbers if i know i can do it at the same speed on paper

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tunicate posted:

The thing is that after a certain point in math you no longer do any arithmetic.

More like after a certain point in math you are no longer capable of the trivial arithmetic that occasionally comes up.

At least if you're at a whiteboard.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
lmbo if you don't pin all your self-worth on whether you can add/subtract/divide 5 decimal deep values in your head. like what are you, reliant on technology that requires you to have this precision in the first place? :rolleyes:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
What if STEM, but Elon.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Excellent use of the meme, but screw you for reminding me about that hosed up comic.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/1046183645155926016

Good news guys, the SEC can't go after a snake oil salesman because then his snake oil company would collapse, and people might start asking questions about all the other snake oil companies in SV.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

A fundamental example is going from teaching something like 398 x 5 as (300 x 5) + (90 x 5) + (8 x 5) [the old way] to (400 x 5) - (2 x 5) [one of the Common Core methods].

The latter is how everyone does it day-to-day, at least here.
Including my dad.

Neither is really a replacement for the other.

You need the first to teach kids many concepts they'll need later on (orders of magnitude, metric prefixes, IT, polynomials...)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
AHAHAhahahahahah

My gf just posted this on FB:

I loving swear i didn't talk about it with her at all.
Didn't say anything about the Q3 report, didn't say the number seems dubious.
Didn't even mention it.

Edit: Obviously we're both on big oil's payroll, but independently.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think my ACT math scores would have been better if I was taught common core. I'm mad no one taught me that way until I saw it going around the internet.

At least now I tip around 20% solidly.

Someone should have just taught you the test answer tricks because if you are actually having to do math on the ACT or SAT you're more than likely loving up something basic.

It's wild how coach-able those tests are.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrayn posted:

the car company is bad

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
What if wheel, but whompy?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

orcinus posted:

AHAHAhahahahahah

Didn't even mention it.

Nasty shorts and oil industry saboteurs attempt to block Musk's version has been stopped.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

orcinus posted:

AHAHAhahahahahah

Didn't even mention it.

Turns out you are both undercover recruiters for the same shadowy organization, how awkward

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

THS posted:

Same. I can guesstimate even pretty complex calculations down to like 10% within the result but "get to any of all the browsers on my computers at home/work I installed DDG module onto, mash !wa [formula] into the url bar" replaced the ability to do actual exact maths in my head anymore. I'm not proud of it but I feel like the time I'd have to spend on exercising that I can spend learning another human or coding language, or reading some dumb deep learning articles, or touching myself.

I'm sure that if we have a global collapse that'll somehow destroy all calculators and yet won't kill me outright, I'll have the while to refresh my numbers stacking.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, if that happens you won't need to run differential equations on the canned food stocks really anyway.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Teal posted:

I'm sure that if we have a global collapse that'll somehow destroy all calculators and yet won't kill me outright, I'll have the while to refresh my numbers stacking.

I keep a collection of HP calculators (48gx, 49g, 49g+, Prime) in all my drawers, in case of global collapse.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
RPN for life *chest thump*.

Kinda bummed i never found a good deal for some vintage HP calcs...
HP-27, HP-35/45 and HP-41C woulda been nice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/01/tesla-screening-pixar-cars-3-at-gigafactory-to-thank-employees.html

quote:

Tesla will host a "family night" to thank Gigafactory employees this weekend, with an outdoor screening of "Cars 3," plus bouncy houses, food trucks and concessions.

Who needs a union when you have bouncy houses!!!. Also "family night" is probably bring your whole family to work in the factory.

e: Cars 3 is both the name of the movie and the amount of usable cars they make each day.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Wait wait wait...

Employees at Fremont bust their balls to achieve Elon's idiotic quota in a loving tent, and poo poo on the floor because there's nowhere else to poo poo, but employees of the *Gigafactory* get a thank-you party? WTF?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Proteus Jones posted:

That's the good stuff, right there.
all car manufacturers have cars in buffer lots at various times, and this has been fodder for some breathless (but false) lefty e-mail forwards that manufacturing is a racket, general demand for cars has crashed and nobody's reporting it, etc etc. gotta do better than that

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

all car manufacturers have cars in buffer lots at various times, and this has been fodder for some breathless (but false) lefty e-mail forwards that manufacturing is a racket, general demand for cars has crashed and nobody's reporting it, etc etc. gotta do better than that

That's nice.
Do they all say "Inventory" on them, like the ones in Tesla's lots do?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Leave Elon Musk alone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Moridin920 posted:

Someone should have just taught you the test answer tricks because if you are actually having to do math on the ACT or SAT you're more than likely loving up something basic.

It's wild how coach-able those tests are.

I know that the answer is usually C if you dont know.

I got a 26. I did ok.