Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

4:30pm, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Dana Shite

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

If I had to pinpoint an event where everything went wrong its UFC 200. An event with Brock Lesnar, Mark Hunt, Daniel Cormier, Anderso Silva, Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar and Cain Velasquez.

And I only remembered that from checking wikipedia - when I remmeber UFC 200 I remember a piss yellow mat and it being headlined by Miesha Tate vs Amanda Nunes after every other title fight fell through but drat it they needed a title in the main event and its been resulted in watered and watered down titles because they must be the main event no matter what.

Though these days they would've just make Brock v Mark an interim title fight and called it a day.

Note: Edgar v Aldo WAS for the interim featherweight championship, but they stuck it fourth from the top. If that had main evented it would've been better but back then interim was less than real belts, a distinction that's become more and more meaningless as the real belts.

Edit also:

The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:[44]

Fight of the Night: Not awarded

laffo

Tate/Nunes was already on the card, it was going to be a 3 title match show. It was a match between the champion and a very worthy challenger. It was not an example of throwing together title matches for the hell of it, just because people were more into the freakshow fights on that card. Putting Aldo/Edgar above that would be completely insulting to two women fighting over a the real title in a division that had been doing redhot business. Aldo/Edgar was far more emblematic of UFC's current problems.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lid posted:

Best case scenario is we get another Germaine De Randamie situation and we can all hold our head in our hands.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

idgi

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Scott Coker has reached a point where respect for Dana is so low and the UFC product is so bad he can now comfortably dunk on him and UFC while hyping Bellator and people are agreeing with Coker. This was unthinkable only a few short years ago.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The quality of card Bellator puts together still isn't on par - despite protestations in this thread the last two or three ppvs have been really loving good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Scott Coker has reached a point where respect for Dana is so low and the UFC product is so bad he can now comfortably dunk on him and UFC while hyping Bellator and people are agreeing with Coker. This was unthinkable only a few short years ago.

oh that's it? I guess just responding to the Eubanks thing. I thought some other piece of news came out and i missed it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Lid posted:

What specifically is none of his business tho

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lid posted:

Yeah, just last year even, Coker would have probably kept his fat mouth shut no matter what was going on with the UFC.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I liked watching the fat guys beat on each other

But I always like watching the fat guys punch each other

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gay Horney posted:

What specifically is none of his business tho

How to keep the UFC product from deteriorating.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Coker vs White for the interim bald shoutyweight belt

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/SarJnCharge/status/1047243044926492672?s=19

Oh this is going to be good

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/SarJnCharge/status/1047243715977400320?s=19

THE MATCH MIGHT NOT EVEN BE SIGNED YET

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Just in case anyone likes laughing, Brendan Schaub and Theo Vonn have a podcast coming out this month.

Theo Vonn is loving hysterical and Schaub and him are great together.

Now back to the regularly scheduled Conor talk.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

BlindSite posted:

The quality of card Bellator puts together still isn't on par - despite protestations in this thread the last two or three ppvs have been really loving good.

Wasn't there a guy with a 0-0-0 record on the ppv card last weekend?

Like, yeah bellator has made huge strides but it's still lacking talent

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

Just in case anyone likes laughing, Brendan Schaub and Theo Vonn have a podcast coming out this month.

sounds awful

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BlindSite posted:

youre right

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

handsome only face posted:

ufc presentation has been stale and bad through both good and bad periods, the shows would be more interesting if there was even a fraction of the fanfare of the last Bellator/RIZIN shows. those shows are more fun to watch even though the calibre of fighters throughout the card is of a way lower standard.

the traditional stripped down UFC presentation only feels really good when the actual fight is so big that it all it needs is bruce buffer to introduce it. I don't want a massive clown show but anything different would be better than 70% of every card feeling like Stupid fuckface 1 & 2 going at it

i think the production in those shows sucks rear end and makes them look cheap as hell. the UFC doesn't need all that fanfare as long as the fights are good, and usually they are. i like the new look, don't really need gladiators spitting fire every time a fighter walks out

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5uO64JW4U

Rogan and Schaub break down Conor vs Khabib from today

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Schaub says in that clip that the the captain of his team says that Khabib is going to retire after he beats Conor

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
:toxx:bet that Schaub is full of poo poo on this if anybody wants to take it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

He also said he believes something is gonna happen in the crowd between the russians and the irish so he won't go to the fight 'because I'm a complete pussy'

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Schaub has CTE and Down syndrome

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah he's stupid but I was just posting a few choice bits for those that didn't feel like watching the 15 minute video of his weirdness

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Schaub says in that clip that the the captain of his team says that Khabib is going to retire after he beats Conor

Ali told TMZ the same thing in January

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah he's stupid but I was just posting a few choice bits for those that didn't feel like watching the 15 minute video of his weirdness

for sure and thank you lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lid posted:

Ok seriously who even is that

Even Rogan is saying he doesn't know who she is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoVXS7e0NRw

Timestamp 1:24:25

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
JT money in trouble with USADA again.

https://imgur.com/a/r4BJ2JU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Wonder what Schaub thinks of all this

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm not sure if it's just because of the location it was being sold or what but that's the first time I've seen electronic theft devices on booze bottles

They have them on the higher end bottles at the supermarkets here in Korea. But your lower end stuff (soju, makgeoli) etc. won't.

Think due to McGregors stupidly easy to rile up fans they put them on so they don't steal them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Skip My Posts posted:

sounds awful

Thanks for the input! Good job! You get a gold star.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nierbo posted:

Wtf is clomiphene?
... two sentences later...
Trace amounts wouldn't do poo poo anyways.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slap fights are forbidden during Sober October.

Thanks.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Nierbo posted:

I had to look him up and had no idea he won an ultimate fighter season

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
UFC's Road to the Octagon seems to be up, but they renamed it to Bad Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwrGm2PTs5U

Weirdly, I think the opening music sting is the ESPN one but I don't get ESPN here so somene will have to clarify that for me.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Captain Log posted:

Oh I for sure can’t wait hear schaub’s forced giggling for two hours as he bit killer joneses Theo like the talentless pile of dogshit he is. Water were dune hear?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT_mf0FEOg0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I remembered that KO but I forgot she was a black belt. She's an Almeida or RGA fighter, isn't she?

• Locked thread