Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm tossing up between IP for the reaction, solus for that post where the vote seemed to be the opposite conclusion from the rest of the post and bif heh just kiddin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

My post, at the top, where it should be.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also I'm gonna ##unvote as well since I agree that TMM looks better today.

I think we should look towards people with fewer posts than me as well because ~my meta~ is to lurk a lot on day one and last I checked I wasn't even close to bottom poster (but that might partially be because of how signups worked) and the last game I was in scum won by basically letting town fight amongst themselves the whole time.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

I think I’m going to take a look at Hal and MMT next, since at the moment I’m not really reading anyone strongly for scum and I can’t recall anything specific either has posted so far. Will do that on my lunch break here shortly.

Re-reading Hal he’s essentially a blank slate to me as far as any kind of strong opinions thus far.

This is the only substantive post by MMT I can find:

Murmur Twin posted:

(phoneposting until further notice)

##vote bk

BKs case on Bif feels faked to me, like he decided to call her scum and then reverse-engineered a reason. I’m not sure I buy that anyone would think Bif’s early d1 vote on TMM was “calculated” and required hedging, and I disagree with his assessment that his not knowing her opinion there (again, on early d1) is suspicious at all.

I disagree with her opinion here re: BK, but at least she’s got an explanation for her thought process. And she did mention beforehand that early-week was tough for her and is catching up now, so we’ll see what that leads to.

I’m not sure where else to go right now. Somebody want to sell me on a case that isn’t BK, for the moment?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

SolusLunes posted:

After re-reading this, I guess I want to look at it again.

I still get a scummy gut feeling from beek, and I let it color my entire reading of their slapfight.

---

I agree with this. I would really like to see what more Beek has to say before deadline.

---

The more I re-read TMMs posts, the more and more the later posts seem scummy.

---

oh well that's good

I really want to hear what Beek has to say because him and TMM are my two major scum reads

OK before I delve into other stuff I'm going to go ahead and ##vote SolusLunes because these are not the posts of someone engaged in trying to hunt scum. Like he's not making any effort to sell people on cases, his posts read like someone who is putting opinions out there because he knows he has to.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly still feeling BK because what was scummy to me wasn't his confusion with Bif, but the fact that it looked like he'd decided she was scum and everything she did was scum, and that one thing doesn't change that for me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asiina posted:

I'm honestly still feeling BK because what was scummy to me wasn't his confusion with Bif, but the fact that it looked like he'd decided she was scum and everything she did was scum, and that one thing doesn't change that for me.

why would he hit the brakes out of freaking nowhere like that though, ok maybe he thought he was gonna get lunched if he kept at me, but that seems like a tough choice to make, to do a complete about-face when you do have some people arguing strongly in your corner.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Also I'm gonna ##unvote as well since I agree that TMM looks better today.

I think we should look towards people with fewer posts than me as well because ~my meta~ is to lurk a lot on day one and last I checked I wasn't even close to bottom poster (but that might partially be because of how signups worked) and the last game I was in scum won by basically letting town fight amongst themselves the whole time.

Anyone but me defense?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

o before e

Anyways, I'm just sick of people deciding my votes ping them on day one. It's always "IcePhoenix seems like they're overjustifying maybe scum??? :thunk:" and then I just vote with a short justification and it's "IcePhoenix is clearly trying to start a bandwagon, scum???? :thunk" and then if I'm out of thread and see a case that's good and agree with it and vote on it it's "Oh is IcePhoenix bussing? SCUM????????!??!!??!?!?!?! :thunk::thunk::thunk:" and I just don't know what you assholes want from me anymore, and it's really annoying because I would just like to play the whole mafia game instead of constantly defending myself on day one which inevitably carries over to the next days because now I'm a target.

This reads like genuine frustration to me and makes me lean town on IP. Also my gut says that if he were scum he'dve vented this in his scumdoc instead of the thread.

Also just to save time, my gut is fairly certain that Bif is town who was frustrated by BK tunneling on her.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

Haha there are people - and I'm not going to name names - who sometimes, as town, get overconfident in their early cases and develop tunnel vision where they start to see everything someone does as scummy. :ohdearsass:

I feel like that's what their argument reads as to me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

IllegallySober posted:

I think the second attempt at the explanation comes off better than the first, for sure, and if anything I think the immediate attempt at clarification here after the first big quote-post is a point in Solus’ favor as opposed to against:

---

Between the two (BK/Bif), I think Bif comes off very aggressive (as per usual) and BK seems to over-justify as the conversation continues on. I think I have more of a town lean on BK and a more null read on Bif (as aggression is her usual style) as opposed to a scum read on either one.

---

Re-reading Hal he’s essentially a blank slate to me as far as any kind of strong opinions thus far.

I disagree with [MMT's] opinion here re: BK, but at least she’s got an explanation for her thought process. And she did mention beforehand that early-week was tough for her and is catching up now, so we’ll see what that leads to.

I’m not sure where else to go right now. Somebody want to sell me on a case that isn’t BK, for the moment?

I'm not sure I buy that IS has

(a) read enough of the game to form opinions on Solus, BK, Bif, Hal, and myself...
(b) ...without finding a single person suspicious enough to case.

I'd be fine voting either IS or Solus today.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

(a) read enough of the game to form opinions on Solus, BK, Bif, Hal, and myself...

Basically, IS'es posting reads like my posting when I'm scum, behind on a game, and have that scummy self-consciousness where everyone seems town and I can't think of any fake cases.

Honestly I feel stronger about IS than I do about Solus, but I don't want to start pushing a new target close to deadline if people aren't around.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

Basically, IS'es posting reads like my posting when I'm scum, behind on a game, and have that scummy self-consciousness where everyone seems town and I can't think of any fake cases.

Honestly I feel stronger about IS than I do about Solus, but I don't want to start pushing a new target close to deadline if people aren't around.

I agree w/r/t IS, those are some super-surfacey reads too

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

Agree with this. I was hoping IS would post today but these feel like someone going through the motions rather than actively scumhunting.

I see the case on Solus but I'm not 100% sold on it. Gonna reread.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ate dinner, walked the dog, I'm here for the rest of the night.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ah since people are here I'm going to ##vote IS and be the change I want to see in the world.

I'm watching tv but will be keeping an eye on the thread.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lookit that there spread

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

BottleKnight (2): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina, SolusLunes, Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin
SolusLunes (2): King Burgundy, BottleKnight, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
IcePhoenix (2): Max, Bifauxnen
Bifauxnen (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, TMMadman, BottleKnight
IllegallySober (1): Murmur Twin
TMMadman (1): Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix
hambeet (0): SolusLunes, SolusLunes
Mr. Humalong (0): Max, Max
King Burgundy (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
Max (0): Asiina, Asiina
Murmur Twin (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (7): Asphyxious, hambeet, IcePhoenix, IllegallySober, Mr. Humalong, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period :rubshands:

With 16 people still alive, it takes 9 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 02nd, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 3 hours, 4 minutes.

The wagon train is moving at a steady pace. Today's execution method is Standard Majority.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And you haven't voted yet.

:thunk:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Where you at on your scum reads right now TMM?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

I'd be fine voting either IS or Solus today.

Yeah this is actually a pretty good point.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Murmur Twin posted:

OK before I delve into other stuff I'm going to go ahead and ##vote SolusLunes because these are not the posts of someone engaged in trying to hunt scum. Like he's not making any effort to sell people on cases, his posts read like someone who is putting opinions out there because he knows he has to.

:agreed:

Asiina posted:

I’m not going to case/vote for someone who I do not think is scum, Asiina.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TMMadman posted:

And you haven't voted yet.

:thunk:

That is correct, yes.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm gonna stick with Icephoenix for now since I don't think he's really come back with a case that warrants not voting him, aside from the plea to vote out someone with less posts than him. I'd want some casework now that the day has gone on.

Fine with IS if I have to. Not feeling Solus after he clarified his stance.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

I'm gonna stick with Icephoenix for now since I don't think he's really come back with a case that warrants not voting him, aside from the plea to vote out someone with less posts than him. I'd want some casework now that the day has gone on.

Fine with IS if I have to. Not feeling Solus after he clarified his stance.

Hmm stilk sorta suss on solus, but IS is edging out on that lead.

IPs last post piqued my interest because it's a lurker redirect and aside from the bk / bif thing (where he basically said meh) I don't believe he has commented on anything else.

I am also curious on the way people came down on either side in bif or bks argument, it seemed divisive, not clear cut either way.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Actually to add to the last bit, it's interesting to me see who didn't get involved in the Bif /bk thing. Phone posting though so I can't deep dive that atm

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hambeet posted:

Hmm stilk sorta suss on solus, but IS is edging out on that lead.

IPs last post piqued my interest because it's a lurker redirect and aside from the bk / bif thing (where he basically said meh) I don't believe he has commented on anything else.

I am also curious on the way people came down on either side in bif or bks argument, it seemed divisive, not clear cut either way.

Ugh to clarify he did talk about TMM but spent as much energy on himself.

Anyway

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

##vote IllegallySober

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

hambeet posted:

##vote IllegallySober

I’ve just reread illegallysober and I’m not seeing it, from peoples description I was expecting a bit of Dick Bastardly “clearly not reading the thread properly thought salad” kinda stuff but it wasn’t really there. The only thing that looks even kinda bad is asking for other cases, which just left me feeling kinda ehh.

My take is that IP’s reaction was still completely out of nowhere so I’m calling confected outrage.

##vote Icephoenix

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hmmmm

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

why would he hit the brakes out of freaking nowhere like that though, ok maybe he thought he was gonna get lunched if he kept at me, but that seems like a tough choice to make, to do a complete about-face when you do have some people arguing strongly in your corner.

I've done literally exactly this as scum. Realize that I'm on the losing side of an argument and go "oh whoops I misunderstood!" and just totally abandoned my argument.

I got a lot of town cred for it too :v:

Let me check out IS though.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Like I interpreted his posts to mean him “catching up” was he was literally rereading a handful of people then just kinda gave up, which is crappy play. But when I reread his posts I didn’t get pinged at all which gave me pause.

As I said the worst part was him being like “well what are the cases that aren’t bk?” like bk is a sure vote, when he’s said he thinks bk is town.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

Where you at on your scum reads right now TMM?

It's not any of the usual suspects that people are throwing out right now.

I am quite concerned that Max is scum and I'm going to die on N1. He seems to hold no real opinions and instead is present in the thread looking to get other people to comment. Now obviously that can go either way, but I'm still worried.

I still think bif is scum. I'm confused about the unvoting, but I still think she has been misrepresenting herself.

I don't really have any solid town reads, although I am kind of leaning town on BK. Neutral on the newish people sniper/Solus. Giving you the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

I'm also slightly concerned about hambeet. I'm not sure where he stands on anything.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I look at IS and it's not the strongest case. He looks like he's trying, even if his reads are basically a bunch of town ones.

I'm not sure where MMT got the idea that he hasn't read that much of the game. It makes me hmmm for her to describe it that way. Not enough to vote today, but definitely a little suspicious.

I think if BK isn't happening, then I'd rather vote for ##vote IcePhoenix

I believe that he's frustrated, but also he's basically provided nothing since then, and his early overreaction does still seem scummy.

I still think beek is scummy, and I wouldn't give him that much credit for his changing his mind when he was the vote leader as we come up on deadline.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I would likely vote IS to avoid a no lynch, but I'm also slightly wary that this might be a scum push to a lurker on D1.

Not that I'm really opposed to that since I can usually figure out the votes later, but just something to keep in mind.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One last thing, I am also concerned about Asiina. She feels off to me in this game.

I feel like she doesn't have a town wincon.

Also, I'm not sure if I believe that both Asiina and Bif are scum together.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TMMadman posted:

I am quite concerned that Max is scum and I'm going to die on N1. He seems to hold no real opinions and instead is present in the thread looking to get other people to comment. Now obviously that can go either way, but I'm still worried.

Prove it.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

TMMadman posted:

I still think bif is scum. I'm confused about the unvoting, but I still think she has been misrepresenting herself.

I don't really have any solid town reads, although I am kind of leaning town on BK. Neutral on the newish people sniper/Solus. Giving you the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

I'm also slightly concerned about hambeet. I'm not sure where he stands on anything.

Looking forward to getting thoroughly loving annihilated by the Max/Bif/Beet/Asiina scum team!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asiina posted:

Yeah, I look at IS and it's not the strongest case. He looks like he's trying, even if his reads are basically a bunch of town ones.

What? That's scum 101, just going through the motions to appear you're doing ~something~

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asphyxious posted:

I’ve just reread illegallysober and I’m not seeing it, from peoples description I was expecting a bit of Dick Bastardly “clearly not reading the thread properly thought salad” kinda stuff but it wasn’t really there. The only thing that looks even kinda bad is asking for other cases, which just left me feeling kinda ehh.

Asiina posted:

---

I'm not sure where MMT got the idea that he hasn't read that much of the game. It makes me hmmm for her to describe it that way. Not enough to vote today, but definitely a little suspicious.

Someone quote me his strongest case / scum read.

I don't see anyone can write off "even if his alignment calls are basically a bunch of town reads" as no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TMMadman posted:

One last thing, I am also concerned about Asiina. She feels off to me in this game.

I feel like she doesn't have a town wincon.

Is there a reason you phrased it as 'doesn't have a town wincon' instead of 'is scum'?

• Locked thread