Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

KB just reminded me that sniper is in this game and his posting is also supremely suspect. Would vote.

And people wonder why new people have a tough time with the game.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now since he only has like 3 games in votefinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

IP's sin is basically just lurking. It's not inherently suspicious to me. I'm sometimes quiet at the start of D1 and I definitely got frustrated as poo poo when I first started playing Mafia when people would case me seemingly no matter what I said. I think that the momentum on him doesn't justify the strength of the case.

IS went out of his way to make it look like he was searching through the thread looking for scum, and shared with us his observations - but he didn't find anyone to call suspicious. I think that it specifically looks like IS is trying to go out of his way to appear town despite not actually seeming to have any interest in hunting for scum, and I think that the only reason to say "I can't find any cases" (instead of just making a case that might be wrong) is that he's self-conscious scum.

This feels like projecting super hard in that he's not playing "right" because he's not playing how you would play and that IP is playing how you would play when you were new (and IP isn't new at all).

I can't tell though if you're just doing this because you're not thinking beyond your own playstyle or if it's scummy because it's totally unjustifiable.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Mr. Humalong posted:

Don't threaten me I'm standing right here. I don't like the push on IP, waiting for IS to post some more before I decide.

Actually, I forgot IP posted his "pick anyone with fewer posts than me" thing and then completely disappeared. Maybe there's a reason he has 4 votes

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sniper has enough FRG experience under his belt that I'm giving that a pass, plus I know he's a savvy individual

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mr. Humalong posted:

Actually, I forgot IP posted his "pick anyone with fewer posts than me" thing and then completely disappeared. Maybe there's a reason he has 4 votes

Yes I'm glad someone else remembered that post.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I am here through deadline now, I will ##vote IS because bad posts are worse than no posts in my book

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

Sniper has enough FRG experience under his belt that I'm giving that a pass, plus I know he's a savvy individual

hehehehe

Yeah I agree sniper hasn't put a lot forward, but mafia is different in frequency required of posting, that I wouldn't vote him today.

Maybe tomorrow if it's still the same state.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Mr. Humalong posted:

Ah yes that post pinged me too, I would also vote him with no qualms but I wanted to make things even to see what Max would do

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm doing this because I know sniper isn't really a possibility at the moment but don't want him to shrink into the background later.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

Ah yes that post pinged me too, I would also vote him with no qualms but I wanted to make things even to see what Max would do

Lol you gently caress.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'd vote IS to prevent a nolynch but I am really not feeling it.

I don't think there's anything there.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Feeling bad about MMT despite her attendance.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Humalong posted:

Every post I make is scummy so I'm taking Hal's advice and just not posting

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Ehhhh.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
?????

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Do you mean this?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Wow I mean you can do what I do and just ignore them

But overjustifying votes is definitely a thing scum do

Cause if not, uh, is that a scumslip?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

IcePhoenix posted:

Pretty sure Hal's advice was just post your thoughts and ignore what other people say about them.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I made a post like this in another game and someone jumped all over me calling me scum. So probably don't do this.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

poo poo I was too late to give my advice!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Asiina posted:

Do you mean this?

case

in

point

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Asiina posted:

Do you mean this?

Oh please god yes

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

IllegallySober (4): Murmur Twin, hambeet, King Burgundy, Hal Incandenza
IcePhoenix (4): Max, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Asiina
BottleKnight (1): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina, SolusLunes, Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina
SolusLunes (1): King Burgundy, BottleKnight, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, King Burgundy
Bifauxnen (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, TMMadman, BottleKnight
hambeet (0): SolusLunes, SolusLunes
Mr. Humalong (0): Max, Max
King Burgundy (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
Max (0): Asiina, Asiina
TMMadman (0): Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza
Murmur Twin (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (5): IcePhoenix, IllegallySober, Mr. Humalong, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period :rubshands:

With 16 people still alive, it takes 9 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 02nd, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 hour.

The wagon train is moving at a steady pace. Today's execution method is Standard Majority.

What about the rest of the world, you ask? That's where things get a little more complicated, if you can believe it.

Sure, the World War happened. Plenty of us lived through it - though certainly not everyone. That was before the time of Shine, you see - and once the world realized what Americans had at their fingertips, they changed their tune pretty fast. Sure, there were little spats round the world that didn't concern us much - German saber-rattlin', Italian trumped-up propaganda, Russian threats every which way, and British showboatin'. But ultimately it all came to nothin' major - sorta half-hearted altogether. I'll tell you what, though... once word got out that American soldiers had shot down some Japanese planes trying to bomb a naval port in Hawaii - no, not with bullets neither. With thunderbolts and fireballs! That changed the tone of things mighty quick, as far as everyone who wasn't America was concerned.

Not much later, the United Nations was founded - but there wasn't much to it beyond the name. All about global cooperation and making a better life for everyone the world over, and comin' down hard on those who would take advantage of their neighbors. Sounds pretty good, right? Problem is, it was darned obvious to everyone who took a second glance - there were plenty of nations united alright... united against America, that is. But so far, ain't nobody made a move - just barbed words over polished wood tables. Better than bullets and bombs - or ice and chokin' poison fog! But that ain't gonna hold for long, if you ask me. The world sees America's Shine - and Nuevo Villa's too, now - and they're mighty thirsty.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

IP, same to you. Forget that we're voting you for the moment. Who is scum? Is there scum that is voting you right now? What about others?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Wrt the posting habits - I've tried to not make a thing of my mafia newness because I've seen it taken as a low key scumdeflect before, but all I can say is that the 30 aussieposts I woke up to regularly gave me the indication that D1 was more flippant than the rest of the game. Don't worry, I won't try to pull a shrinking violet going forward.

I wish my FRG skills carried over, but I don't think a friendly band of Jacobins led by the Marquis de Sade will spring to my assistance if I call.

Also uhhh you ok Votefinder?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh its valid fluff I thought it was an actual RL history speech.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Max posted:

I'm not kidding, click his link in the OP and look at how more than half his posts, many of them made well out of joke phase, don't have anything to really do with the game.

These two posts in particular stand out:

These look and smell like summary posts that don't really say . . . anything?

Now I'm worried because I'm more or less the same so far. :ohdear: Again, I absolutely admit this was a bit more than I expected via D1. (Which, not a complaint, mind you! Just a recalibration on my side is the issue.) I am trying to play catch up a bit, again, but if any thoughts are requesting I should be here until deadline, now that I've finished up with training.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Wait this game takes place after 1941????

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

IcePhoenix posted:

Can you quote where Hal gave this advice?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

Rolecall, how many people are actually here?

Yo

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Asiina posted:

IS, what do you think of IP?

IcePhoenix posted:

o before e

Anyways, I'm just sick of people deciding my votes ping them on day one. It's always "IcePhoenix seems like they're overjustifying maybe scum??? :thunk:" and then I just vote with a short justification and it's "IcePhoenix is clearly trying to start a bandwagon, scum???? :thunk" and then if I'm out of thread and see a case that's good and agree with it and vote on it it's "Oh is IcePhoenix bussing? SCUM????????!??!!??!?!?!?! :thunk::thunk::thunk:" and I just don't know what you assholes want from me anymore, and it's really annoying because I would just like to play the whole mafia game instead of constantly defending myself on day one which inevitably carries over to the next days because now I'm a target.

I didn’t find this as scummy as some did (probably not surprising given the frustration I just expressed). That said, it was a little early in the day for that reaction, too.

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't like that bif has hedged so much, but the rest of it is a lot of arguing back and forth that will be more relevant after we see a flip or two, IMO.

Despite that, I still feel that TMM is the better vote.

Appears to want to delay a strong alignment call on Bif and/or BK until later. Still wants to vote TMM, but with no additional justification beyond the case someone else made (Asiina?)

IcePhoenix posted:

Also I'm gonna ##unvote as well since I agree that TMM looks better today.

I think we should look towards people with fewer posts than me as well because ~my meta~ is to lurk a lot on day one and last I checked I wasn't even close to bottom poster (but that might partially be because of how signups worked) and the last game I was in scum won by basically letting town fight amongst themselves the whole time.

Now unvotes because TMM looks better, calls to look for those lurking harder than him? Interesting.

IcePhoenix posted:

Okay, yeah, I could see voting here.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I feel worse about IP at this point. ##vote IP

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BottleKnight posted:

Do you have any examples? Because I’m not really feeling IP or IS for scum and this is the part of your post that pokes out to me the most

Was it his most recent post that made you feel that way, BK?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
My reservations about IP haven't gotten any better, and I don't get an overwhelming scumsense from IS.

##vote IP

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That's -3.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Murmur Twin posted:

Can you quote where Hal gave this advice?

If IP doesn't answer this question I'm ok with moving my vote.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

it's the post asiina quoted

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Pretty sure Hal's advice was just post your thoughts and ignore what other people say about them.

This is correct

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

it's the post asiina quoted

Ehhhhhhhhhh.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Murmur Twin posted:

I feel pretty strongly that

- IS is scum
- IP is the patsy (scummiest looking town)
- the reason that people aren't looking at IS with more suspicion is that he has a scumteam helping him out

I have probably ten more minutes or so before I pass out.

I don’t really know how to respond to this other than “no, I don’t have anyone helping me with anything.”

Hal Incandenza posted:

I am here through deadline now, I will ##vote IS because bad posts are worse than no posts in my book

Which specifically of my posts do you find bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Happy with my vote.

• Locked thread