Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

ultravoices posted:

i anticipate 3-6 months of feeling like a total fraud.

Well your duration estimates are completely hosed so you're probably in the right industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

bad sign of what, getting paid to drink while loving around with a compiler? sounds like a pretty god deal to me. as long as the office is close to a bus stop or something

It's not so much the "being paid to drink" as "trying to work while other people nearby are drinking".

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
at my job the amount of visible liquor bottles in the building has correlated strongly with how frustrating the current working conditions are

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we mostly use empty liquor bottles as trophies of past successes (signed by people involved) and full liquor bottles as indications placeholders for future celebrations

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

how do i politely tell a startup that no i'm not interested in being their python dev / backend dev / frontend engineer and data scientist?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
"thank you for your offer. at this time my compensation requirements are literally an order of magnitude greater than you have offered, so i must decline."

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

got my first interview in a long time comin up tomorrow for an ops/sysadmin role. a little nervous since i'm not really sure how to prepare but we'll see how it goes.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Boiled Water posted:

how do i politely tell a startup that no i'm not interested in being their python dev / backend dev / frontend engineer and data scientist?

"You've identified that I have expertise and a broad set of skills that could address several needs at your company and I appreciate that, but I would prefer a role with a clearer set of responsibilities, perhaps at a company further along in its growth trajectory. Cheers!"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
just get in there and stack paper while you do 0.1 of each of those jobs which they're too incompetent to understand you're phoning in

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 2, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

bad sign of what, getting paid to drink while loving around with a compiler? sounds like a pretty god deal to me. as long as the office is close to a bus stop or something
liquor has its place, which is not within 100 feet of your pffice coding station in plain view. that suggests an urgent need to drink

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
yeah, my experience with seeing any form of in-office drinking (other than beer) is uniformly negative

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

By adding another zero to your salary request

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh boy who wouldn't want to regularly drink with their coworkers??

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Boiled Water posted:

"Suck my dick and balls you fuckman."

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Progressive JPEG posted:

drinking at work sounds like it would take all the enjoyment out of drinking imo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

meatpotato posted:

drinking at work sounds like it would take all the enjoyment out of drinking imo
:agreed:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

meatpotato posted:

one time we called it on a mid friday afternoon and my coworker made some bombass dark & stormys but it probably wouldn't be fun as a repeated thing

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I enjoy a good beer and bullshit session with coworkers after work on Fridays.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I've observed the gradual reduction of "alcohol culture" within my company over the years and it has been 100% positive.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

which one of every single one of my coworkers are you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sometimes i have a beer at lunch :ssh:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

sometimes i have a beer at lunch :ssh:

:hai:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we have a lot of office beer, but i never see anyone drinking it outside of like friday evenings and all hands meetings

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

I enjoy a good beer and bullshit session with coworkers after work on Fridays.

I prefer to go home and have hot gay sex personally. beer is for after

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jit bull transpile posted:

I prefer to go home and have hot gay sex personally. beer is for after

Lots of people like to have sex with their partners after a tough week of work. Not really something people tend to post about though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Lots of people like to have sex with their partners after a tough week of work. Not really something people tend to post about though.

you're not my dad

and have you like never seen an echinopsis post?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I have seen lots of those posts. They are all bad.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I'll have a beer at lunch with my coworkers and gently caress my wife at the end of the week. I'm just that good a programmer.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
NEVER WRITTEN A LINE OF CODE

NEVER HAD SEX

7 INCHES, UNCUT

DMS ARE OPEN

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

NEVER WRITTEN A LINE OF CODE

NEVER HAD SEX

7 INCHES, UNCUT

DMS ARE OPEN

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

lol like you're one to post police

stfu

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
i missed the era of hornt echinopsis. i'm sorry to infer that we now live in the era of sad echinopsis

be well echinopsis

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Regarding drinks at the workplace -- I think if I saw that my first reaction would be to suspect a super toxic working environment.

I've only seen one place/department where there were drinks at work. That was a particular lab at the uni where I worked. They'd get out drinks for their lab meetings. Even if you were a guest you'd be given the 'are you a sissy or what' look if you declined. Bar one or two people it was an almost completely male lab, too, in a field that enjoys a pretty even gender split. The employed the only people who I've ever witnessed firing off pissed (active-) aggressive emails at each other. That is, postdocs writing each other emails about what rear end-kissing cocksuckers they are, while putting the neighboring labs, supervisors, grant coordinators and so forth in the cc (those were people in their mid-thirties).

The idea of super relaxed, buddy-buddy party labs turned stale really fast after meeting them. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of being convinced otherwise at some point.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

meh, two more "sorry-not-sorry"s from companies i had an inside referral at, and now i'm out of potential employers with refs

haven't even heard so much as a callback from anyone i've applied for on my own

hunt has barely even started and i'm already feeling despondent :smith:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

People smarter than me" posted:

:words: good question to ask during an interview

I wish I had found these questions earlier because they would have been super helpful. Gonna bookmark the thread now.

prisoner of waffles posted:

yeah, who is hiring these phds and setting the boundaries and expectations for them such that they have the problem they are describing

or is the problem Not With the PhDs

qhat posted:

If they actually said that, then lol, the PhDs aren't the problem.

At the time of the interview I more or less laughed it off. But in hindsight it's really unprofessional, dumb, and insulting. They were acting like every single one of their developers and scientists was Dr. Sheldon Cooper IRL. That totally didn't clash with my reality that for some people, half the PhD is explaining your work to all kinds of laypeople. I mean FFS every couple of months our institute would lead school children around and give them masterclasses.

I think a problem of theirs was that they must suffer from professional inbreeding. The department head recruited basically all his underlings from the faculty of math & engineering at the technical uni where he graduated himself. Funnily enough the uni and surrounding town is a hot spot for autism diagnoses. So maybe that's why they expected everyone to be Sheldon Cooper? But then, why on Earth would you intentionally get your people all from the same few departments, that's super dumb?

I dunno, in hindsight everything about that company was a red flag, but I was very curious I guess.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

meh, two more "sorry-not-sorry"s from companies i had an inside referral at, and now i'm out of potential employers with refs

Your resume is highly likely in need of review if you're literally not getting any callbacks. I see bad resumes all the time and if I'm not hooked within 30 seconds, sometimes less if it's particularly lovely, then it's already a no.

That or you're not applying to enough places.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ciaphas posted:

Tried out any recruiters? Few friends of mine found their jobs that way and are very happy. Has to be a decent one though that does face to face interviews to determine what you need.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lord Stimperor posted:

At the time of the interview I more or less laughed it off. But in hindsight it's really unprofessional, dumb, and insulting. They were acting like every single one of their developers and scientists was Dr. Sheldon Cooper IRL. That totally didn't clash with my reality that for some people, half the PhD is explaining your work to all kinds of laypeople. I mean FFS every couple of months our institute would lead school children around and give them masterclasses.

I think a problem of theirs was that they must suffer from professional inbreeding. The department head recruited basically all his underlings from the faculty of math & engineering at the technical uni where he graduated himself. Funnily enough the uni and surrounding town is a hot spot for autism diagnoses. So maybe that's why they expected everyone to be Sheldon Cooper? But then, why on Earth would you intentionally get your people all from the same few departments, that's super dumb?

I dunno, in hindsight everything about that company was a red flag, but I was very curious I guess.

The red flag is that their response to "we keep hiring sperglords with PhDs" was "stop hiring PhDs but I guess normal sperglords are fine".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Tried out any recruiters? Few friends of mine found their jobs that way and are very happy. Has to be a decent one though that does face to face interviews to determine what you need.

not yet, idk what makes a reputable recruiter vs one who's just going to add to my ever growing list of reasons to take a hammer to first my phone, then my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

qhat posted:

Your resume is highly likely in need of review if you're literally not getting any callbacks. I see bad resumes all the time and if I'm not hooked within 30 seconds, sometimes less if it's particularly lovely, then it's already a no.

That or you're not applying to enough places.

probably both but i'll be damned if i can do much to fix the former

i've only had the one job and i talk about what i do and how slick i am as hard as i can without being a loving prat, but i'm limited by classification (e: and quite frankly devastatingly low sense of self-worth)

[side note: $CURRENT_EMPLOYER insists we're only allowed to write resumes on work network, print them, and submit them to security for review before you can take the printed copy home to retype. get bent, asswipes]

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 3, 2018