Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

i have wanted to try RE4 for a while. maybe after i finish DQ11

i played it for the first time around a month ago and it deserves all the praise its ever got but its definitely not a scary game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah RE4 is just a action game. It's also one of the best games ever made but it's just schlocky and not trying to scare you.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Hard to get scared by much of anything now that Donald Trump is in the drat white house .

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

goferchan posted:

Hard to get scared by much of anything now that Donald Trump is in the drat white house .

this!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

S_C I know you love Bloodborne but I'm honestly surprised if you never found it scary. Even my last playthrough of many (admittedly haven't played it in over a year and don't have all the maps and enemy locations burned into my brain) I got a big adrenaline rush being lost in the Forbidden Woods and that cool desperate feeling where you keep thinking you're near the end, or at least near a shortcut/lamp post but it just keeps going deeper and deeper.

Getting the key for the Upper Cathedral Ward and finally checking it out is also one of my favorite scary gaming memories even if that's one that only works for the first time through because afterwards you know what to expect up there. But whatever, overall, I'd say Bloodborne is a great example of a scary game that doesn't rely on a slow pace or limiting your movement/abilities to do so. It's well-done in the sense that you can feel empowered and overwhelmed at the same time, like the first time one of the Mensis Brains starts to sing at you and frenzy you and you have no idea what's going on, that's some good scares

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

goferchan posted:

check this out https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=trump

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

S_C I know you love Bloodborne but I'm honestly surprised if you never found it scary. Even my last playthrough of many (admittedly haven't played it in over a year and don't have all the maps and enemy locations burned into my brain) I got a big adrenaline rush being lost in the Forbidden Woods and that cool desperate feeling where you keep thinking you're near the end, or at least near a shortcut/lamp post but it just keeps going deeper and deeper.

Getting the key for the Upper Cathedral Ward and finally checking it out is also one of my favorite scary gaming memories even if that's one that only works for the first time through because afterwards you know what to expect up there. But whatever, overall, I'd say Bloodborne is a great example of a scary game that doesn't rely on a slow pace or limiting your movement/abilities to do so. It's well-done in the sense that you can feel empowered and overwhelmed at the same time, like the first time one of the Mensis Brains starts to sing at you and frenzy you and you have no idea what's going on, that's some good scares

i don't really find it scary at all. i think it has an effective atmosphere, that i'd call 'creepy', but it never personally scared me on any level. on my first playthrough i was surprised by stuff, like a jump scare, but found that more funny and enjoyable than anything. i guess i qualify "scared" as being terrified or helpless, and movies and games both have you in control over things, so it's really hard for me to ever feel scared by them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gonna see how much further I can get into SH4 tonight before it pisses me off again.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Yeah RE4 is just a action game. It's also one of the best games ever made but it's just schlocky and not trying to scare you.

Its got this 1 bit but also its been a while since I played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_SVyZY-zuc

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

The regenerator section in the lab (?) still makes me really uncomfortable to play. It hosed me up the first time I played because I was like 10 or 11 years old

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darkwood is a super bizarre top down horror game from a small time polish studio but I can't tell you if its really good and worth the price cause its so stressful I've never gotten far in it.

Maybe you are braver than I am.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Play the STALKER series. Hell, maybe I will pick up my iron man run.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i don't really find games scary, and am mostly just annoyed at how slow horror games tend to be

sector_corrector posted:

i wish i could enjoy this, the season of scary games, but it's mostly just a bunch of dumb bullcrap to me

sector_corrector posted:

i don't really find it scary at all. i think it has an effective atmosphere, that i'd call 'creepy', but it never personally scared me on any level. on my first playthrough i was surprised by stuff, like a jump scare, but found that more funny and enjoyable than anything. i guess i qualify "scared" as being terrified or helpless, and movies and games both have you in control over things, so it's really hard for me to ever feel scared by them.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

let's spend another 3 pages giving this guy a list of games he'll play so he can go "Le Shrug. My Sirness prevents thine from being scared. Guess I'm not a pussy like everyone else. Anywho the GF just nuked me with a Nerf Powershot so it's shmexy tiem nao." another 15 times

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Mr. Sophistication posted:

The regenerator section in the lab (?) still makes me really uncomfortable to play. It hosed me up the first time I played because I was like 10 or 11 years old

it made me uncomfortable for like 1 minute because i didnt have a rifle and i had to do that one forced fight but then i just cheesed it with a bunch of grenades and outran the rest of them

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i find it fun to suspend my disbelief and allow myself to be scared by games and movies even though i know they arent real

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

trying to jack off posted:

i find it fun to suspend my disbelief and allow myself to be scared by games and movies even though i know they arent real

I also like to do this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im almost done with SH4 I think. FOr real this time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I resumed Prey after dropping it last year and forgot everything so I started over today

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's cool how the funny answer of "Push the fat man" in the questionnaire at the beginning takes on a totally different light when you know what's going on

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I been watching Aris play a X-Files version of RE.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I been watching Aris play a X-Files version of RE.

I wanna play those games. There's 2 I believe. They seem awesome

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I wanna play those games. There's 2 I believe. They seem awesome

https://clips.twitch.tv/SullenAbstruseWitchYouDontSay

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I kind of regret starting over because I'm still used to picking everything up and throwing it, even a year later

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I can't watch Aris play Spider-Man or God of War, and I hate watching Tekken, but when he finds some kinda janky, pretty obscure thing to dive into, it's the best loving thing on Twitch.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

can someone link me the original pole jack a norseman post? i was lmaoing thinking about it last night

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

can someone link me the original pole jack a norseman post? i was lmaoing thinking about it last night

lmao I was thinking about it a week ago.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

lmfao. i kept saying it to my girlfriend all night

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

It's cool how the funny answer of "Push the fat man" in the questionnaire at the beginning takes on a totally different light when you know what's going on

Yeah I don't know if you've encountered the quest with these escape pod yet but it ties in beautifully to all of that hypothetical bs at the start

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

i found it just in case anyone needs it for future reference https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811328&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post470574802

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

it's a great achievement title

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Whenever a scary game is stressing me out I pause and think about Leon in RE4 saying “your right hand comes off?”.

Really need to play Prey this weekend. I got up to the part where you find your first brain implant. The opening was incredibly disorienting and I never expected it. I restarted it last weekend and got back up to that point and realised how to spot the mimics only after watching the opening attack instead of looking at the pc screen. Before that I was getting bamboozled by each one lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Over There posted:

Same, I got about an hour in but they really know how to freak you out almost immediately.

it has one of the most oppresive atmospheres in a game, kinda more so since even its basic enemies are more of a threat than the zombies of re1 because they can go through walls. even save stations don't mean a room is safe. there's like this constant distant screaming in the ambient music. even if you leave the game on pause too long it starts leaving bloodied handprints on the screen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

all the levels + the plaza are getting a Halloween makeover for a special 48 hour event, with unique gear

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

In Training posted:

all the levels + the plaza are getting a Halloween makeover for a special 48 hour event, with unique gear

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Watched Petscop to get in the mood

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
SOMAheads: should I play this game all in a night or can I play it here and there without diluting the feels? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Average Bear posted:

SOMAheads: should I play this game all in a night or can I play it here and there without diluting the feels? Thanks

I played it all in one sitting b/c i couldn't tear myself away but the game's levels are pretty well delineated and I don't think putting it down for a bit would hurt.

• Locked thread