Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Gg speedrun thread

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

in the future, for other dudes who have potential warning signs that they might suck poo poo, prolly go actually check out their social media and poo poo first before bringing it to the thread. it was pretty clear to me as soon as i did that that this dude wasn't an alt-right douchenozzle so other people should do the same rather than start dumb derails in the future. imo anyway.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Watching this thread overthink GDQ staffs processes is always hilarious to me.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I spent the whole 5 hours during my confirmation hearing in front of the gdq Senate's games committee screaming about how much I love beer and I got confirmed anyway cause of oldboi privlege.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFt7oBvMqo

im linking this mostly cause its funny to me they made an hour long video for a less then 5 minute speedrun

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Omnigamer probably wins the speedrun length vs watchback/commentary analysis video ratio with dragster.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I win it with my 17 hour evaluation of Clue

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Every frame tells a story

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Going directly to the source to save time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

Going directly to the source to save time

to own the libs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

eonwe posted:

to own the libs

Actually there's an easy zip that makes it so the libs start off owned

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

you don't even have to own centrists they just own themselves

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

mandatory lesbian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFt7oBvMqo

im linking this mostly cause its funny to me they made an hour long video for a less then 5 minute speedrun

The TL;DR: This is about 84 frames off a perfect run, and a human will only save about 21 of those, all in 8-4. The other 63 frames are 3 frame rules that are TAS-only, so you would need ungodly luck or new tricks or setups to save more than 1/3 of a second off the current record.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Double Punctuation posted:

The TL;DR: This is about 84 frames off a perfect run, and a human will only save about 21 of those, all in 8-4. The other 63 frames are 3 frame rules that are TAS-only, so you would need ungodly luck or new tricks or setups to save more than 1/3 of a second off the current record.

speedrunning fuckin rules

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love that the things I'm interested in rn, Destiny 2 and speedrunning have a major cspam crossover

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Double Punctuation posted:

It's great though because we've been in this position of not thinking we can get any closer to the TAS before. Maybe this is finally it but I wouldn't bet on it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

eonwe posted:

Destiny 2 [...] cspam

Gross.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lol https://www.speedrun.com/gtaiv

• The GTA IV Speedrunning Community abides by the current World Anti-Doping Agency prohibited substances/methods list. Refer to: https://www.wada-ama.org/en/prohibited-list

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Don't smoke weed and play gta

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

Don't smoke weed and play gta

do actually

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

But it's against the rules eonwe.

GTA has a storied history of rule following

People thought having to show version number in celeste submissions was bad wait until every run needs to include them drawing blood and providing a urine sample live on stream.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 2, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Wait, is that not actually a joke?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh poo poo, just realised that Coda Low% is the category for the Crypt of the Necrodancer run that got accepted. I think the runner is still the only person in the world to have even completed it.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

What's Low% in the context of necrodancer, anyways?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Only starting equipment, no use of the free pickup per store in Coda's case.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/clgaming/status/1047222295578603520

speedrunners have orgs now I guess

e: apparently this has been a thing for a while and i'm just now aware of it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rubellavator posted:

e: apparently this has been a thing for a while and i'm just now aware of it
Yeah, there are a couple of eSports teams that have speedrunners on-board. Not sure how they measure success per-se, but it's a thing I guess.

https://twitter.com/CarcinogenSDA/status/1047236264796336128

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

Oh poo poo, just realised that Coda Low% is the category for the Crypt of the Necrodancer run that got accepted. I think the runner is still the only person in the world to have even completed it.

loving what :catstare:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Allegiance has Andy (aLttP NMG & Randomizer runner) as well as a few other Nintendo speedrunners. They also had Grand POOBear until literally earlier today

https://twitter.com/TeamAllegiance/status/1047203764845916165

I'll save you some time: There was no drama, sounded like GPB just wants to pursue other opportunities that he's probably not able to pursue with his ALG contract. There's a pastebin and everything: https://pastebin.com/HjvAG4A5

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Poo's been flirting with Red Bull recently so we'll see how long he stays unaffiliated I guess.

Happy for everyone except the shitlords, it's kind of neat that esports teams are grabbing up speedrunners.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I wouldn't think of it as an eSports type sponsorship, since it's more about their sustained streaming rather than repping at an event. But it is someone that can get them free swag, help negotiate ad sponsorships (play this game for X hours and make Y bucks), and importantly, they never have to rep at events (it probably helps to get into GDQs tho).

Note that most of these orgs have other streamers attached that aren't competitive players either

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wait, is that not actually a joke?

there have already been doping scandals in esports games. really

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/ouverture-a-lyon-du-premier-campus-dedie-au-jeu-video-02-10-2018-7908846.php

Sorry, I couldn't find any English source. I have some more info that I just heard on the radio.

In short, France is opening their first Video Gaming campus hosting a Game Academy. Students there can learn how to become a professional gamer. The professional gaming sector generates more than 4 billion eur per year in France alone, and professional gamers often have a whole team surrounding them - people looking for advertisement opportunities, marketeers, etc. So being a professional gamer is kinda like running a business and the founder of this academy think it's useful to run a formal education in this. Teachers will include experienced e-sporters.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I hung out with Studio at agdq and he SUCKS!!!!!!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ToxicFrog posted:

loving what :catstare:

It's absurd, I don't know if he'll even finish a run

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

He had two attempts at a past event and failed both of them unfortunately, maybe he'll have better luck this time.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

my buddy Superfly posted:

I hung out with Studio at agdq and he SUCKS!!!!!!

Can confirm the second part of this is factually accurate

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
SUCKS down drinks like a fish..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

mfcrocker posted:

Hi, I run Necrodancer and I'm friends with Spooty. Yeah he's the only one to ever have done it, and he's done it twice.

Sage Grimm posted:

Only starting equipment, no use of the free pickup per store in Coda's case.

Correct. Can't even pick up bombs.

mfcrocker posted:

He has a backup plan of doing the single zones modes which is way easier. So he'll probably do "runs" for 15-20 minutes and then do each zone individually if he fails, or maybe do the zones he didn't finish.

Kikas posted:

He had two attempts at a past event and failed both of them unfortunately, maybe he'll have better luck this time.

I mean his success rate at this point is probably still less than 1%, but he'll be grinding it just about every day on stream.