Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Inferno Fork is ok but you really need all the accessories to make magic worth using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
After having finished the game on PS4, I'm now trying to get Terraria up and running on my PC using a 360 controller for input. However, I'm running into one minor issue that I can't diagnose. In the inventory menu, the left stick and dpad can be too sensitive. Often times I have to barely brush the stick to the side to move the cursor one space; anything more will move the cursor too far. This isn't the case with the main menu of the game, or when I'm moving through my equipped items. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
No clue about the PC problem but I’m surprised you made it through he PS4 version. Without a mouse it is like doing surgery with a hammer. At least, that’s what I assume surgery with a hammer would be like, I haven’t been to medical school.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SoR Blaze posted:

After having finished the game on PS4, I'm now trying to get Terraria up and running on my PC using a 360 controller for input. However, I'm running into one minor issue that I can't diagnose. In the inventory menu, the left stick and dpad can be too sensitive. Often times I have to barely brush the stick to the side to move the cursor one space; anything more will move the cursor too far. This isn't the case with the main menu of the game, or when I'm moving through my equipped items. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

No clue about the PC problem but I’m surprised you made it through he PS4 version. Without a mouse it is like doing surgery with a hammer. At least, that’s what I assume surgery with a hammer would be like, I haven’t been to medical school.

I agree, but I didn't want to seem like I was taking the piss out of Blaze for preferring a... "less optimal" control method. Putting aside the lack of content, I have tried Terraria on 3DS, PS4, and iPad and even with the stylus on the 3DS they all felt so imprecise, clumsy and frustrating to me. In my estimation, it's an order of magnitude more awkward than playing an FPS with an analogue controller instead of M&K.

I will say this: Blaze, give mouse and keyboard a try. It might take some adjustment, but I think that if you enjoyed PS4 Terraria, you will utterly adore the PC version because of the more precise controls and the additional content.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
If I was at my desk where my computer is, I'd use a keyboard and mouse. I prefer to hang out on my couch with my wife to play games these days, which is why I'm using a controller.

The game is obviously designed for a keyboard and mouse, but the console version is perfectly playable. The game isn't really hard to just tank before the WoF, and you can get chlorophyte bullets pretty shortly after that so aiming isn't really an issue if you're using firearms.

If anyone has any idea about why the inventory cursor is so sensitive on PC with a controller, I'd love to know so I can fix it, but if it can't be helped I guess I'll just move the sticks a little more gingerly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Is there any reason why a truffle wouldn't move into this house assuming I have the 100 blocks?

Thanks.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Have you checked it functions as a house? Also, does it border on other biomes because I built his house slap-bang in the middle of a mushroom biome to insure he arrived.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tombot posted:

Have you checked it functions as a house? Also, does it border on other biomes because I built his house slap-bang in the middle of a mushroom biome to insure he arrived.

Yes, it's a house. But OK I'll re-build it in the middle of the biome.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Also, (I forget when you can get the werewolf thingy) have you started hardmode yet? he only shows up after you started that as far as I'm aware.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Is there any reason why a truffle wouldn't move into this house assuming I have the 100 blocks?

Thanks.
Try having at least one tile to stand on next to the bed? Or putting the bed on the same level as the chair and table

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey folks I'm in a medium sized world. I found some winding stairs for the Temple but can't find an actual entrance. Any hints? Thanks!!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zereth posted:

Try having at least one tile to stand on next to the bed? Or putting the bed on the same level as the chair and table

I put the house in the middle of the glowing mushrooms and he showed up. Now to find the entrance to the Temple!!!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mayveena posted:

I put the house in the middle of the glowing mushrooms and he showed up. Now to find the entrance to the Temple!!!
Yeah basically just keep circling the thing (over the top) and dig out the edge until you find the entrance. It's usually at the top left or top right corner.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I haven't played the game in a while but for those talking strategies, here's a mostly glitchless run that kills the moon lord in 90 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI62Gf7bc3c

So it uses dynamite in ways I had not bothered with to cheese things, uses a hellavator glitch to get rid of most of skeletron prime's arms, uses actuators in a way I have never considered in order to get into the bottom of the temple and steal the altar, summons the king slime to grind souls, but is mostly fair otherwise. Crystal bullets and ichor arrows are just really, really powerful together. Plantera only needs a small arena for first stage, and a hellavator drop for second stage.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Check out page 172 for more on that. It is an extremely good video, published fairly recently, and better commentated than Yrmir's classic speedrun videos. I learned so much more new stuff from this one. You can even track the inventory steps if you slow it down. Definitely worth revisiting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I have the Eye of Cthulhu yoyo and the yoyo bag, but I don't get multiple yoyo strings like what I see in the videos. What am I doing wrong?

E: I'm trying to kill the Golem which is supposed to be 'easy' with this yoyo but it's not working. Also the yoyo, plus the counterweight means I can't hold the usual accessories.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 10, 2018

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You can't stack other accessories with the yoyo bag, so don't bother also equipping the counterweight. The bag gives you the extra yoyo and the counterweights. The only reason I can think that it's not working is if it's not equipped, or if the counterweight you equipped is cancelling it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah I had both. I’ll get rid of the counterweight thanks.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is the mod browser inside tmodloader working for anyone? Mine won’t load anything. The site that the data comes from appears to be down..?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone know of a mod or something to allow for hotkeys that use a hotbar item one time without having to switch back to the item you were using before? I'd really like to be able to do this with my Rod of Discord.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Once you kill Plantera/Golem, you can't get into the Dungeon unless you kill the Lunar guy?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mayveena posted:

Once you kill Plantera/Golem, you can't get into the Dungeon unless you kill the Lunar guy?

Yes you can.

You don't actually have to attack the cultists that hang around the dungeon entrance. They're passive until provoked.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Bear in mind however that any kind of damaging aura whatsoever will aggro them as if you'd attacked.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Also also bear in mind you can cancel buffs by going into the menu and right clicking the Icon, this especially includes summons as they like to kill those poor harmless cultists on sight.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also only the archers will hunt you, the ones who pray will stay where they are, and the lunatic cultist boss is only invoked when all four cultists are dead.

So even if you aggro them accidentally, you can just hurry down the dungeon, then get rid of the two archers if they followed you, and forget about it. The cultists eventually respawn and return to passivity.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks everyone. I aggro'd them as I fought off a Martian Probe and the Cultist showed up and killed me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm getting the urge to play again. So, I have a question about mods: Are there any that substantially change the general progression? So you're doing something different from the usual path with the occasional side trip to do a mod thing?

EDIT: oh and what was that mod where you could combine potions into passive items that sat in your inventory?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 12, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What kind of build do you need to get through the Pumpkin event? I was wearing Shroomite armor and a souped up tactical shotgun with chlorophyte bullets and I might as well have had pre-hardmode stuff once Morning Wood showed up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mayveena posted:

What kind of build do you need to get through the Pumpkin event? I was wearing Shroomite armor and a souped up tactical shotgun with chlorophyte bullets and I might as well have had pre-hardmode stuff once Morning Wood showed up.

The event is meant for groups with golem/eclipse/hardmode dungeon gear. Doing it solo without moon lord gear is possible but you'll need to build a good arena and chug a ton of buff potions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

The event is meant for groups with golem/eclipse/hardmode dungeon gear. Doing it solo without moon lord gear is possible but you'll need to build a good arena and chug a ton of buff potions.

Hm. I'm solo. What else can I do at this point? I killed Plantera, got the shroomite armor and now don't know how to proceed. I did the Golem as well.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I was able to solo Pumpkin and Frost moons with an endgame arena full of automated traps from the Temple, lava floors, a cannon/cannonball setup, and a spike to a stand on and get invincibility frames. It was still hard and the stupid bosses often got stuck and didn't come on to the screen.

I'd call it a lovely waste of time, but there are some good drops. The main lovely part is they it automatically ends at sunrise, and even with off-the-charts dps, it was impossible to kill all the waves fast enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Hm. I'm solo. What else can I do at this point? I killed Plantera, got the shroomite armor and now don't know how to proceed. I did the Golem as well.

The endgame starts in front of the dungeon and will quickly outscale the moon events.

There's also the ufo event, which can be cheesed by anything that lets you attack through walls or by leaving small openings to shoot through. You can simply wall yourself in and kill things at your leisure.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

I was able to solo Pumpkin and Frost moons with an endgame arena full of automated traps from the Temple, lava floors, a cannon/cannonball setup, and a spike to a stand on and get invincibility frames. It was still hard and the stupid bosses often got stuck and didn't come on to the screen.

I'd call it a lovely waste of time, but there are some good drops. The main lovely part is they it automatically ends at sunrise, and even with off-the-charts dps, it was impossible to kill all the waves fast enough.

You can pretty easily farm wave 15 with a cannon and some lava. Spikes no longer give iframes, so you'll have to figure out some other way to mitigate damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghctr1_NtWQ

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 1, 2018

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1046851558594482177

They posted a clip of some new 1.3.6 music on their Twitter page, and the video for it shows a few new details; animated background (you can see an Eye of Cthulhu floating around back there), pink moon, new graphic for fallen stars, and what appears to be a new NPC, in the upper left room of the big house.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Also, new paintings(?) and what looks like seashells one one of the shelves. Also: the goldfish has a few new animations.
This is a really strange spoiler.

Edit: Sombody on twitter alerted me to this, what if that isn't a lumberjack but instead a golfer with a golf club on his back? What the hell would that imply?

Tombot fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 3, 2018

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Curious why there are two Merchants in that shot. Seems like it means something, just not sure what.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
You get more than one merchant on multiplayer servers, more nurses too I think.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Tombot posted:

Edit: Sombody on twitter alerted me to this, what if that isn't a lumberjack but instead a golfer with a golf club on his back? What the hell would that imply?

loving, SPHEDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34WGtlcTrMU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

graynull posted:

Curious why there are two Merchants in that shot. Seems like it means something, just not sure what.

Two Merchants and Nurses appear if you have a big enough multiplayer server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

boy playing terraria solo on expert mode is, well, definitely for experts :suicide: