Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

It looks as unseasoned as the very depths of Midwest America. How is it? What is it?

The last plate looks fine, kind of tasty, but the first two? Like, jesus. Beige on beige with some beige. That fried dough barely looks cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tashilicious posted:

The last plate looks fine, kind of tasty, but the first two? Like, jesus. Beige on beige with some beige. That fried dough barely looks cooked.

Yeah, I thought it was a chole bhature kind of thing, except they pulled it out before it got good.

Certainly wouldn't have guessed there's meat in it.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah i can see the grey through the dough. like a super dissapointing samosa

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Cutting board chat: one thing in plastic boards' favor (or other similar materials) is that many of them are made of a high enough grade plastic that they can be washed in a dishwasher, whereas few if any wood boards are dishwasher safe. And there are also other things you can use on plastic like Clorox or whatever. But if you're committed to washing by hand with regular soap/water, then yeah, wood is probably better.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

stereobreadsticks posted:

Unseasoned is a good description. The first picture is salted milk tea with mutton dumpling and mutton ribs. The second is a rather pale example of khuushuur, deep fried meat pies stuffed with mutton and in this case served with potato salad with (you guessed it) mutton mixed in. The third pic is from a slightly more upscale place, which explains the existence of vegetables on the plate, the meat in that one is lamb tongues served over barley with yogurt in the little pot.

Are those vertebrae as napkin weights there or am I being a small pastry?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Are those vertebrae as napkin weights there or am I being a small pastry?

They're ankle bones, one each from a sheep, a goat, a horse, and a camel. They're traditionally used for divination, you roll them like dice and the way they fall supposedly tells your future, the placemat under them has a list of interpretations in Mongolian, Russian, and English.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

They're ankle bones, one each from a sheep, a goat, a horse, and a camel. They're traditionally used for divination, you roll them like dice and the way they fall supposedly tells your future, the placemat under them has a list of interpretations in Mongolian, Russian, and English.

We used to call them knucklebones, you'd throw and catch them on the back of your hand.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Are they there as a quaint diversion like a Chinese zodiac placemat, or for legitimate use?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A state of the art neural network has generated some mouthwatering food.

Dunno if this image download link will work but try here for the full spread.

Otherwise here's the google drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Z7lgwMaZjfacbgQxVJ0xIEkIsfNbb3U_ There are a lot of different outputs, 19.jpg is the one with pizza, other ones have other food types mixed in (18 has hamburgers and hot dogs, for instance)

EDIT:

tag urself

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Oct 2, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm the smiling one

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

In my experience Mongolian food had salt, pepper, and if you were lucky, dill. Occasionally your food may have crossed paths with some garlic or onion. That's it. It's all extremely beige and 95-100% meat. It's summer so everything is mutton or goat right now but in the winter they eat more beef and horse.

Here is an extremely Mongolian dish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2fqfY-pBLg

The Bloop posted:

Are they there as a quaint diversion like a Chinese zodiac placemat, or for legitimate use?

I've been to that chain and they put them out as entertainment mostly, but the Mongolian people I ate with when I was there took them fairly seriously.

The beef ribs I had at Modern Nomad were probably the best food I ate in Mongolia.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Mongalia episode of Bizarre Foods is interesting.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ehraw

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

The Mongalia episode of Bizarre Foods is interesting.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ehraw

I watched this episode a few times when I was on a Bourdain binge and it basically just convinced me I don’t really feel a need to travel to Mongolia

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randaconda posted:

i'm the smiling one

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Happy early Halloween.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I guess that would depend on how legitimate you consider fortune telling in general?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think this stuff has come up previously itt. Depending on your tastes this is either a good fad or AFP:

I like it actually, the flavours complement each other well. I'm not a huge fan of sweet coffee either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Three months til Christmas so

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

bike tory posted:

I think this stuff has come up previously itt. Depending on your tastes this is either a good fad or AFP:

I like it actually, the flavours complement each other well. I'm not a huge fan of sweet coffee either.

Huh, I remember when they came out with this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_BlāK

I didn't like it but I was a teenager at the time and didn't like coffee

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tunicate posted:

tag urself

You could replace the sleepy banana piece with a sleepy Kirby and you’d have the same effect.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The beef ribs I had at Modern Nomad were probably the best food I ate in Mongolia.

All this Mongolian food looks hearty and tasty, lack of seasoning be damned (plus seems to me it fulfills the purpose of being protein-heavy and filling). Also recognizing you from your PI thread I love that you got to visit Mongolia.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I would this harder than you would

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, I'd try it. It's not really that much weirder in concept than the salted chocolate+caramel pretzel sticks I've had recently. The only reason the latter doesn't seem weird is because we've already accepted that pretzels can turn into a good sweet+salty snack.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I could seriously do without the fries and ketchup but a burger with a pizza bun hell yes son

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dixville posted:

Huh, I remember when they came out with this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_BlāK

I didn't like it but I was a teenager at the time and didn't like coffee
I liked it, and now I make my own! :buddy:

https://topsecretrecipes.com/coca-cola-blak-copycat-recipe.html

I've also been known to simply put one or two of those creamer-cups of coffee shots in my fountain cola at 7-Eleven.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I liked it, and now I make my own! :buddy:

https://topsecretrecipes.com/coca-cola-blak-copycat-recipe.html

I've also been known to simply put one or two of those creamer-cups of coffee shots in my fountain cola at 7-Eleven.

I have that book, and I love it. Highly recommended.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Why did they put the top bun upside down? You wouldn't put the ketchup/mustard/etc. side of a regular bun facing up...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So the pizza toppings don't fall off.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Oct 3, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Before:
After:
:3:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hirayuki posted:

Before:

After:

I didn't even notice :3:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The Pizzanomicon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Before:

After:

Yeah I noticed that too. It's actually the left one that's only partially in frame. Pretty funny.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I fixed it so it's in order now

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Randaconda posted:

I fixed it so it's in order now

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This makes me want go want some Halloween Baking Championship

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

You can get Ritter Sport chocolate with tortilla bits in it.

It's horrible, really horrible. It just didn't work for me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DariusLikewise posted:

This makes me want go want some Halloween Baking Championship

There’s a few old seasons on Hulu!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Christmas crisps you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU