Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nessus posted:

I think people mean several things by "capitalism."

Will there be an exchange for goods and services, probably mediated by something recognizable as money, in any kind of near or mid term future? Yes.

That's not capitalism though, money has existed for thousands of years and capitalism about 200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not capitalism though, money has existed for thousands of years and capitalism about 200.
Yes well mutter mutter something something democratic party and that's why it is inevitable that any space nation will be literally comical uber-capitalism to its highest possible extent.

It makes some sense that Stellaris would default to something vaguely resembling state capitalism since 'something vaguely resembling state capitalism' is pretty much every government in the world.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Nessus posted:

Yes well mutter mutter something something democratic party and that's why it is inevitable that any space nation will be literally comical uber-capitalism to its highest possible extent.

It makes some sense that Stellaris would default to something vaguely resembling state capitalism since 'something vaguely resembling state capitalism' is pretty much every government in the world.

Yeah which is why were not going to make it into space

Serf
May 5, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

What is with this bizarro belief that capitalism will implode? The powers that be are richer and more powerful than ever thanks, outside of the USA retail sector or whatever.

its more optimistic than thinking hellworld will never end

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Strategic Tea posted:

What is with this bizarro belief that capitalism will implode?
One answer: Marx. Part of the Hegelian framework that Marxism uses is the notion that every society type (except the last) contains the seeds of its own inevitable destruction/replacement, that history is a process with mandatory phases, with the end state being communism or just, like, the modern world (Hegel wrote as though we'd reached the End of History). A lot people believed one or the other of those guys for a long time and it's not like there's nothing to them. After a while, stuff just seeps into the general consciousness and when you see problems with the world caused by people, you blame it on the system they're using to organize themselves.

Or, as it was put earlier in the thread,

Splicer posted:

Well, that's late stage capitalism for you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wiz please make a Curator greeting quote be something along the lines of "Did you think yourself to be at the end of history? Trust me: You're not."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I think that'd work as a Fallen Empire quote, also. Probably the Enigmatics.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Nessus posted:

Wiz please make a Curator greeting quote be something along the lines of "Did you think yourself to be at the end of history? Trust me: You're not."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Whoever changed the thread title missed out on Stellaris Boo! point oh. Shameful

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We're coming up on Stellaris Boo point Boo actually

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Nessus posted:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

LordMune posted:

We're coming up on Stellaris Boo point Boo actually

2.2 October release confirmed.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Aethernet posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1047392341215068160?s=19

I found this perk quite clunky and am glad it's been reworked, not least so I can start sending pilgrims to the metal rains of Crapicon 7.

Finally, I can make my Cult of the Bomb purifiers hold Tomb Worlds sacred. May the Blessings of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend upon us all.

Nessus posted:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nessus posted:

This is a good quote but I can't quite tell why - maybe it's just the right amount of enigmatic with a tinge of menacing? I hope it makes it into the game.

I also love the we can declare anything holy now instead of burning a gaia world. The flat unit bonus is kinda 'meh' but since you can now declare it on any lump of rock you come across it doesn't have that much of a tradeoff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This is a good quote but I can't quite tell why - maybe it's just the right amount of enigmatic with a tinge of menacing? I hope it makes it into the game.

I also love the we can declare anything holy now instead of burning a gaia world. The flat unit bonus is kinda 'meh' but since you can now declare it on any lump of rock you come across it doesn't have that much of a tradeoff.
Should increase trade value and immigration attraction of the system it's in, and generate greater spiritualist attraction and unity the farther it is from settled planets and trade routes. Do you want a holy pilgrimage site for the devout or a religious-themed tourist trap?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Commercializing beliefs for fun and profit could be a good fit for some governments, not sure if it'll make it I to the game or not but we'll have to see just how deep the new trade mechanics really are.

Also recently announced that there will be another dev stream tomorrow afternoon after the diary so we can see more of the changes in action.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Corporation may be a very specific term, and maybe it changes depending on what would be more relevant to your situation, but why would most government types not have a private sector?

I mean, fanatics probably wouldn't. Fanatic militatarists, egalitarians, spiritualists definitely shouldn't. Purifiers wouldn't (no pissing away resources on not killing the xenos) gestalts wouldn't. Authoritarians might but it depends on whether they're social stratification via money authoritarian or obsessive BDSM varying-levels-of-slavery society.

Like there's definitely room for empires with a big private sector but in the range of ethics and government types stellaris has it's not going to be many of them, I think. So it'd be weird to have a planet tab that wildly changes function per-empire because that suggests a lot of different interfaces and mechanics.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, fanatics probably wouldn't. Fanatic militatarists, egalitarians, spiritualists definitely shouldn't. Purifiers wouldn't (no pissing away resources on not killing the xenos) gestalts wouldn't. Authoritarians might but it depends on whether they're social stratification via money authoritarian or obsessive BDSM varying-levels-of-slavery society.

Like there's definitely room for empires with a big private sector but in the range of ethics and government types stellaris has it's not going to be many of them, I think. So it'd be weird to have a planet tab that wildly changes function per-empire because that suggests a lot of different interfaces and mechanics.
Why would materialists - who's beliefs revolve around owning material wealth - not have a private sector? Same with spiritualists; The Catholic Church is also one of the wealthiest organizations in the planet (The Vatican has their own bank for Christ's sake and it is surrounded by corruption) and have you taken a look at Mecca lately? Or the US South? Or all that new age, homeopathic bullshit? There's big business in spirituality. Lots of money to be made.

They may not have corporations as we define them but I'm sure they'd still have private business concerns and wealthy elite controlling it just as we do.

The more specialized civilization types (machine empires, hiveminds, etc.) would have less of an interest in such things give the way they are governed but they are very rare generally speaking and Wiz has already mentioned their trade mechanics and how they interact with markets will be different.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why would materialists - who's beliefs revolve around owning material wealth -
That's not what the materialist ethic means. It's a focus on the material world and the study thereof and shunning of woo (even when the woo is real, apparently).

Also, dictatorships are a choosable government type. It'd be weird if an authoritarian dictatorship could do everything to their citizens up to and including literally processing them into nutrient paste, but restricting free enterprise is a bridge too far.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wiz clearly says that the effects vary according to the world you choose. If you make a toxic world holy, it might give you the unity bonus but alwo generate a lot of bad events. I think it's possible that "burning" a gaia world might still be worth it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

That's not what the materialist ethic means. It's a focus on the material world and the study thereof and shunning of woo (even when the woo is real, apparently).

I don’t know why people keep saying this, there are no penalties to going psionic as materialists except that you need a psionic expert. So psionics are only shunned as woo until you research psionic theory, proving that it’s not woo.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Looks like there is a 2.2 Dev stream tomorrow 7-8 am pdt on twitch.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
That’s 14-15 UTC so the rest of you don’t need to google PDT too. Only an hour though? Aren’t most Paradox streams two hours?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why would materialists - who's beliefs revolve around owning material wealth - not have a private sector? Same with spiritualists; The Catholic Church is also one of the wealthiest organizations in the planet (The Vatican has their own bank for Christ's sake and it is surrounded by corruption) and have you taken a look at Mecca lately? Or the US South? Or all that new age, homeopathic bullshit? There's big business in spirituality. Lots of money to be made.

They may not have corporations as we define them but I'm sure they'd still have private business concerns and wealthy elite controlling it just as we do.

The more specialized civilization types (machine empires, hiveminds, etc.) would have less of an interest in such things give the way they are governed but they are very rare generally speaking and Wiz has already mentioned their trade mechanics and how they interact with markets will be different.

I said militarists, not materialists. Materialists could but it depends on whether you go FALGSC or corporate dystopia as they're entirely suited to both.

Spiritualist comparisons to IRL don't entirely work because we don't live in a literal theocracy, churches are tied up with money because they exist in a fundamentally capitalist society and thus they are co-opted by it. If real, actual, honest to god religious zealotry was the underpinning of everyday life to the degree that money is today for us, I don't think there would be a very large private sector, not least because it would basically be heresy; religions outside the governing state sanctioned one.

Like, virtually anything that exists on earth at this present time is happening under fanatic capitalist governing ethics, so yes you see that echoed in many things, but that's a strange assumption to make about literal aliens with fantastic space ethics. Star trek type "we do not have a concept of your human dollars" kind of thing is much more, I think, appropriate for Stellaris ethics.

Modern day earth does however make a pretty good indication of what "governing ethics" mean to a society in stellaris, cos yeah, pursuit of money is the underpinning of modern society, if you replace that with something else, it's a good jumping off point for imagining what your space aliens might be like. Least that's how I've always done it. Other aspects exist but they all exist in context of that one thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 3, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Staltran posted:

I don’t know why people keep saying this, there are no penalties to going psionic as materialists except that you need a psionic expert. So psionics are only shunned as woo until you research psionic theory, proving that it’s not woo.
Can we agree that they don't mean material as in the Madonna song though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Staltran posted:

That’s 14-15 UTC so the rest of you don’t need to google PDT too. Only an hour though? Aren’t most Paradox streams two hours?

help I don't know how to convert to paradox dev time

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Not to get too into speculation but does dev stream suggest we might get a release date soon? I don’t know how these things have gone in the past.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

OwlFancier posted:

I said militarists, not materialists. Materialists could but it depends on whether you go FALGSC or corporate dystopia as they're entirely suited to both.

Whoops, I misread that. Sorry.

But the same logic applies - there's no reason industry and businesses wouldn't spring up in such a society. Wherever there's a buck to be made there will be someone there to make it.

It's been that way in society since the dawn of civilization, long before articles of incorporation ever became a thing. People will always work towards acquiring what they need to survive, be it money, or food, or metals or whatever else society values and can be bargained with. That is more or less what trade values seems to represent (and probably why it's not called 'money' specifically). It stands to reason that any society that doesn't exert total control over their people and their lives would have room for private businesses to exist as people tried to run their lives as they see fit. Even if it's just wealthy elites using their positions of authority to exert more control with government blessing.

Splicer posted:

It should though :mad:

Now I have Madonna stuck in my head and YouTube thinks I need to relive all the 80s greatest hits in my queue.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bold Robot posted:

Not to get too into speculation but does dev stream suggest we might get a release date soon? I don’t know how these things have gone in the past.

We had a stream the week before last and there was no release date or release window mentioned. I don't see any reason why it would be different this time. But maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

I just don't want it being released around the end of Feb when it'll overlap with Anno 1800. I only have enough room in my heart (and my day) for one new release at a time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

But the same logic applies - there's no reason industry and businesses wouldn't spring up in such a society. Wherever there's a buck to be made there will be someone there to make it.

It's been that way in society since the dawn of civilization, long before articles of incorporation ever became a thing. People will always work towards acquiring what they need to survive, be it money, or food, or metals or whatever else society values and can be bargained with. That is more or less what trade values seems to represent (and probably why it's not called 'money' specifically). It stands to reason that any society that doesn't exert total control over their people and their lives would have room for private businesses to exist as people tried to run their lives as they see fit. Even if it's just wealthy elites using their positions of authority to exert more control with government blessing.

It should though :mad:

Now I have Madonna stuck in my head and YouTube thinks I need to relive all the 80s greatest hits in my queue.
I think it's specifically the word corporate that's tripping flags. Corporate has specific connotations these days that, say, "private sector" might not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The specific way in which corporations accumulate capital and the control it offers them over society is, as someone has already pointed out, not very old, and is quite distinct from the social organization that came before it. Feudalism is not capitalism or coporatism.

How an industrialized alien society, which all stellaris civs are, deals with its production, disbursement, and accumulation of resources, is very definitely not limited to different variations on how we, in 21st century earth, do it. The entire notion of "the private sector" didn't exist until after industrializiation and how that happened is very much informed by the political circumstances of the time.

It's just extremely weird for a scifi setting to believe that every single alien in the galaxy underwent a near-mirror of earth history except that some of them have more bible belters, some of them have more scientists, and some of them have more hitlers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 3, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
No idea who changed the thread title or why, but I assume it's a reference to Halloween.

Or, how terrible we all are at posting.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm pretty sure that non-Gestalts all gain access to the internal marketplace because it would be completely break gameplay to restrict it to only materialist / egalitarian empires. You could give the non-marketplace empires some extra bonuses in return but that would be hard to balance.

I'd imagine that societies without private enterprise could enact inefficient work orders to generate a particular resource quickly / pull resources from stockpiles or buffers in a supply chain which would disrupt it / recycle or re-purpose old equipment or materials that are otherwise too expensive to make useful.

Double rations for your miners but force them to work 12 hour shifts (food->minerals), burn some wood or fossil fuels for a quick boost (minerals->energy), run the growlights 24/7 (energy->food).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Aethernet posted:

No idea who changed the thread title or why, but I assume it's a reference to Halloween.

Or, how terrible we all are at posting.

The subforum is now "Video graves" and most/all threads have spooky names :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nevets posted:

I'm pretty sure that non-Gestalts all gain access to the internal marketplace because it would be completely break gameplay to restrict it to only materialist / egalitarian empires. You could give the non-marketplace empires some extra bonuses in return but that would be hard to balance.

I'd imagine that societies without private enterprise could enact inefficient work orders to generate a particular resource quickly / pull resources from stockpiles or buffers in a supply chain which would disrupt it / recycle or re-purpose old equipment or materials that are otherwise too expensive to make useful.

Double rations for your miners but force them to work 12 hour shifts (food->minerals), burn some wood or fossil fuels for a quick boost (minerals->energy), run the growlights 24/7 (energy->food).

Markets are a sensible gameplay concession I agree, it's more the notion of every empire having a "corporate" tab on their planets that seems weird, I can't imagine what many ethics setups would use it for. It'd certainly be cool to have some kind of non-governmental sector modelling like some other 4X games do. But it would have to be something you lean into/away from, ideally with pros and cons either way.

You could do full megacorp/anarchist future where you wield minimal power over the empire as a whole, to full state control of everything.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 3, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

It's just extremely weird for a scifi setting to believe that every single alien in the galaxy underwent a near-mirror of earth history except that some of them have more bible belters, some of them have more scientists, and some of them have more hitlers.

Yeah, that would be really off-putting. Luckily Stellaris doesn't have this bullshit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nevets posted:

Again, "engages in trade" and "19th/20th/21st century corporation based capitalism" are not synonymous. You could have a vibrant economy that's almost entirely small to medium businesses, either because that comes naturally to the species in question or because the government actively discourages monopolies. A FALGSC might engage in trade based around one of a kind artistic works, "authentic" experiences etc. There's a bunch of different taxable economic models involving the trade of goods and services which aren't corporate capitalism.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I got my endgame crisis! The Prethoryn showed up, and it turns out that external threats are good for unity, because as soon as they arrived, I immediately got requests from the one independent faction left and the Awakened Empire to join my Federation.

Turns out that facing an entire unified galaxy is pretty difficult. This is the current status quo after the galactic forces suffered a loss due to some clumsy manuevering that resulted in us warping in to a battle piecemeal instead of all at once, allowing the Prethoryn to pick off each fleet as they showed up. My fleets are back at their home bases, getting repaired and having their losses replaced, then we'll be back.

Incidentally, what's a proper difficulty to play at? I usually play 4x games on "the AI gets no penalties but also no bullshit bonuses" but in Stellaris that's the lowest difficulty? Should I be giving them some bullshit bonuses?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that would be really off-putting. Luckily Stellaris doesn't have this bullshit

The primitive civ development I don't mind so much because it doesn't really factor into the main gameplay, but certainly in actual space empire terms the game has stayed a bit silent about the specifics of societal organization. Now that the new patch is introducing things like worker classes and going a bit more into the type of society you want to run, it'd be weird for it to tack on "also all empires have big corporate sectors" when it's gone to the effort to make big differences between how empires distribute their population according to class.

So I'm curious as to what the tab is for and whether it changes depending on your empire if it is a corporate tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Yeah sure. I think it had some of that flavor in 1.0 but that might have been just the Galt quote for individualist/materialists. All gone now though.

CapnAndy posted:

Incidentally, what's a proper difficulty to play at? I usually play 4x games on "the AI gets no penalties but also no bullshit bonuses" but in Stellaris that's the lowest difficulty? Should I be giving them some bullshit bonuses?

Probably, just kick up the difficulty a couple notches and see if it still seems too easy. You can also turn on the scaling toggle so the AIs start with no bonuses and then get bigger bonuses every year until they have the full difficulty bonuses at endgame year. Either way you might also consider moving mid/end game start years sooner.