Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Skip My Posts posted:

Nobody talking to me about the Conor fight this weekend or at all bc I’m a sweaty fuckin IT nerd

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hardly anyone's talking about it in this thread, 2 years ago there would be 100 posts a day to catch up on.it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Tony

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This does feel like the least hyped mcgregor fight since like Poirier.

If he still draws big its purely on his star power, not much promotion to speak of.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

there's another press conference today so maybe excitement will spike up at the last minute

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

ots tomorrow

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

https://youtu.be/tbZnL6-7dRM
Tony the Uglier is ornery as gently caress

Better than anything Conor has ever done

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Mr. Nice! posted:

Khabib has 8 ko/tkos while McGregor only has 1 submission.

To be fair those were all in missionary though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

"I'm just here because I have to be here. They took my belt, they took a bunch of zeroes from my paycheck how do you think I fuckin' feel"

Not that he's wrong but poo poo like this is what makes it tough to get hyped for fights

Edit: That was an ugly tony quote from the video posted above - he comes across as a huge baby and is going all tough guy on a bunch of journalists

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 3, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the fact he is even fighting post that bus thing is already astounding to me

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol that interview is insane

At one point he's talking about how realizing his plants needed more than water made him a better supplement taker

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

"I'm just here because I have to be here. They took my belt, they took a bunch of zeroes from my paycheck how do you think I fuckin' feel"

Not that he's wrong but poo poo like this is what makes it tough to get hyped for fights

Edit: That was an ugly tony quote from the video posted above - he comes across as a huge baby and is going all tough guy on a bunch of journalists

yeah i watched that video and him getting all lovely that these guys are doing their jobs and literally helping him promote himself and make more money is a bad look

like come on you dork, just chill out and enjoy some time off from doing your weird backyard dojo poo poo for 20 minutes

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

lol that interview is insane

At one point he's talking about how realizing his plants needed more than water made him a better supplement taker

i was legit hoping he was going to start talking about how sunlight makes him a better fighter like superman

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

you're all wrong. we need more of this press conference from him.

"This is a rat race. But I'm no rat. I'm a turtle. A ninja turtle."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Conor needs a radical social or moral position that he can evoke when he goes meglomanic like Ali did

Like, if Ali didn't have his NOI stuff every once and awhile he would have just been a crazy rear end in a top hat.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Cyber Dog posted:

you're all wrong. we need more of this press conference from him.

"This is a rat race. But I'm no rat. I'm a turtle. A ninja turtle."

nah all the crazy poo poo like that was great prime A+ tony but a few times he was like, "you're just there with your cameras asking me questions blah blah blah i should be asking YOU the questions"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Automator posted:

yeah i watched that video and him getting all lovely that these guys are doing their jobs and literally helping him promote himself and make more money is a bad look

like come on you dork, just chill out and enjoy some time off from doing your weird backyard dojo poo poo for 20 minutes

The Automator posted:

nah all the crazy poo poo like that was great prime A+ tony but a few times he was like, "you're just there with your cameras asking me questions blah blah blah i should be asking YOU the questions"

I liked how he started going on about how he's the last one to have an ego and spends most of the 20+ minute interview having an ego about even being asked questions about his fight

I want to see him talk to Schaub to see who comes out sounding more brain damaged

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

demanding camera operators turn the cameras back on themselves is during a press conference is very funny, imo

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's funnier when you know how to say it without sounding like a dipshit though

"Oh you guys are here essentially to make me money? gently caress you, turn the cameras on yourselves. I'm humble."

He's mad at a bunch of people that don't want to be there talking to him either lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
conor's gonna be on conan tonight, in case anyone was worried about the hype or promotion for 229

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

conor's gonna be on conan tonight, in case anyone was worried about the hype or promotion for 229

Finally the two biggest irish heroes unite

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Joanna says the fight fell apart due to UFC trying to move the date up a month on short notice

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/10/joanna-jedrzejczyk-angry-and-title-fight-scratch-valentina-shevchenko-ufc-231

quote:

Me pulling out of fight? Never! Here is the truth. Yesterday I was informed that my fight had been cancelled. Unfortunately, I received this news from journalists, I was very shocked. I feel angry and sad. The already signed contract on the 8th of December was ignored. They were trying to persuade me into taking the fight in November, at the same time depriving me of a chance to properly prepare for the fight during the camp. Valentina is a challenging opponents, and my goal was (and actually still is) to prepare for this fight as best I can, and to eventually become the UFC flyweight champion

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Browsing the fight odds. I'm a bit surprised Pettis is a +300 underdog. I know he's had a drop off and switching weight classes but it's obvious he's still dangerous.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
a vein popped in Dana's head he doesnt know why

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Best Friends posted:

Joanna says the fight fell apart due to UFC trying to move the date up a month on short notice

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/10/joanna-jedrzejczyk-angry-and-title-fight-scratch-valentina-shevchenko-ufc-231

Valentina is going to fight someone who's in actual danger in the cage against her instead of one of the most dominant champs in the sport. The reason for this is because November is marginally more convenient than December for the UFC. exhibit 420 of why should I care about this sport or its belts at all

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

Valentina is going to fight someone who's in actual danger in the cage against her instead of one of the most dominant champs in the sport. The reason for this is because November is marginally more convenient than December for the UFC. exhibit 420 of why should I care about this sport or its belts at all

I'm considering buying back the UFC at $420 per share. Funding is secured

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

Lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Joanna too scared to lose 3 in a row

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Moving the schedule up a month on short notice seems like a big deal to me. My girlfriend, Joanna Lastnamehere, is right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TheKingslayer posted:

Browsing the fight odds. I'm a bit surprised Pettis is a +300 underdog. I know he's had a drop off and switching weight classes but it's obvious he's still dangerous.

I feel like Pettis doesn't have one shot power, and against a more unorthodox striker in Ferguson, he's gonna have trouble landing at a good rhythm enough to test Tony's chin.
He may or may not be able to do something tricky on the ground, but even there he's at best a match for Tony.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Best Friends posted:

Moving the schedule up a month on short notice seems like a big deal to me. My girlfriend, Joanna Lastnamehere, is right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZCXwXBt3lg

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

It’s dumb and the Joanna fight makes more sense in every way other than fulfilling their desperate need for an MSG main, but when the TUF competitors are the division, who should she fight?
Joanne Calderwood? They stripped the champion and Eubanks is the runner up in the tournament, barring her failing kidneys.
I want to reiterate that I do think it is very very stupid and makes no sense as a loving MSG headliner, but UFC gonna UFC and stick it to Nate Diaz by putting a 4-3 fighter in the main event.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

FishBowlRobot posted:

It’s dumb and the Joanna fight makes more sense in every way other than fulfilling their desperate need for an MSG main, but when the TUF competitors are the division, who should she fight?
Joanne Calderwood? They stripped the champion and Eubanks is the runner up in the tournament, barring her failing kidneys.
I want to reiterate that I do think it is very very stupid and makes no sense as a loving MSG headliner, but UFC gonna UFC and stick it to Nate Diaz by putting a 4-3 fighter in the main event.

They should have left the fight in December alone and let Diaz main event it, then promote the hell out of Diaz. It would have sold OK. Now though, it'll still get a few buys because of Diaz, but they are just deliberately throwing away money.

I don't get it, are they tanking the card just to "prove" Diaz isn't a big draw to convince him to fight more often?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

Joanna too scared to lose 3 in a row

Will still tell everyone she's the undefeated champion and queen of mma

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1047571379300814850?s=20

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I love any time Tito says words.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If you are a UFC fighter and you take a supplement, any supplement at all, then you are a moron. (Yes, I know, cage fighters are not smart)

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1047574818885791744

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rigel posted:

If you are a UFC fighter and you take a supplement, any supplement at all, then you are a moron. (Yes, I know, cage fighters are not smart)

It's important to take supplements to give your steroid usage a cover.

Also that's Charlie Brenneman.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

he is talking out of his rear end. like ace ventura

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
basically every athlete under the sun uses caffeine pills with 0 problems. you can just walk into a store and buy some pro plus or some other international brand like a normal person. he must be buying his from the dark web from a steroid dealer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC is asking Chookagian to be ready in case something happens to 230. (Eubanks apparently has a tough time making 125) She probably deserves the fight more anyway, but Eubanks was runner up in TUF so whatever.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1047579577130745857

• Locked thread