Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Skullgirls (only real?) defensive option, aka the infinite protection system, is just another way to land resets on people as far as I remember.

Skullgirls has plenty of strong defensive options, it's usually only the top level players who actually make use of it and you often can't see it just watching top 8's cause the same players also specifically try to counter those very things. Trying any sorts of normal pressure or resets on good players nowadays often times gets you blown up.

Also, while ips/undizzy can be used for burst baits, it only ever tags people mashing buttons to burst out (or mashing specials/supers/throw instead of reacting). Even if someone continues to combo you to bait out a burst from you, the burst will automatically be safe after a short period of time, and you barely take any damage in burstable states, so it's not quite a real layer of mixup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
skullgirls is just fundamentally not fun to hit buttons in because it has some of the worst sound/effects on landing hits ever and every other attack makes the character say an entire sentence every time & that's a much bigger issue than system mechanics it may or may not have imo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

skullgirls is just fundamentally not fun to hit buttons in because it has some of the worst sound/effects on landing hits ever and every other attack makes the character say an entire sentence every time & that's a much bigger issue than system mechanics it may or may not have imo

I just watched a Skullgirls clip and and MvC2 clip back to back and they sound equally obnoxious...

edit: I forgot how great Big Band's sound effects are though, lol

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 3, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

Is there a way to get a ps4 stick working without it? That seemed to be the only way for a lot of games.

DS4windows has generally been pretty solid for me and I'd imagine if Steam can pick up a PS4 stick it can too.

That could be utterly wrong though because haha, standards

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

kirbysuperstar posted:

DS4windows has generally been pretty solid for me and I'd imagine if Steam can pick up a PS4 stick it can too.

That could be utterly wrong though because haha, standards

Yeah I'd figure DS4windows to be the best bet, tool's pretty great.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah I'd figure DS4windows to be the best bet, tool's pretty great.

It can conflict with games and programs which also offer some degree of DS4 support. If you notice problems quit ds4 and restart steam, that's what I had to do with a couple. Hopefully it won't be needed but.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The hide DS4 option alleviates that, though fighting Windows to get Exclusive Mode working in order to use it is a bastard sometimes. HidGuardian seems to help that though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Maybe I'm weird but I usually have never cared that much about the hitstun/sound effects some of y'all keep bringing since most published fgs get that decently acceptable (sg included).

I mean I guess in hindsight the block sound in 3S was a bit weird cause it sounded like metal hitting metal, and some of the sound effects in +R are kinda weird to me, but that still doesn't affect much of how I Ike them.

I was worried a bit about fexl in this area near the start since it felt (in multiple ways) kinda janky, but then I liked it cause the jankiness is honestly part of that games appeal for me.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

ROFL Octopus posted:

Skullgirls always felt like a chore to me to play. I can’t even articulate why but I’ve never had fun playing it.

It's bc the pacing is really bad as a result of horizontal movement being relatively slow and combos being long and reset-heavy. People say "Skullgirls sucks bc resets" and defenders say "actually you can learn to avoid some resets so it's Good" but they're missing the point, which is that the entirety of the game feels like one or the other person is constantly in a state of having to look for opportunities to escape a combo and it just gets tiresome really quickly.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

there is only one skullgirl: skullomania

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Poniard posted:

there is only one skullgirl: skullomania

Still in awe that Heroines stole their kill mechanic from Playatation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

you mean stole it from shrek super slam?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brosnan posted:

It's bc the pacing is really bad as a result of horizontal movement being relatively slow and combos being long and reset-heavy. People say "Skullgirls sucks bc resets" and defenders say "actually you can learn to avoid some resets so it's Good" but they're missing the point, which is that the entirety of the game feels like one or the other person is constantly in a state of having to look for opportunities to escape a combo and it just gets tiresome really quickly.

no i'm straight up saying "constantly having to look for opportunities to escape a combo" is actually fun, if high-pressure; there's basically never a moment in Skullgirls where your input and attention as a player aren't necessary

i also don't think the horizontal movement is actually that slow, although that might be my bias as a Fortune player speaking. they can't cross the screen as fast as e.g. Guilty Gear characters can but I wouldn't want them to, and that's obviously at the extreme end of the spectrum

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's pretty bizarre to make a game that's a self admitted love letter to mvc2 and guilty gear in terms of mechanics and then make the movement way slower than any of those games

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

no i'm straight up saying "constantly having to look for opportunities to escape a combo" is actually fun, if high-pressure; there's basically never a moment in Skullgirls where your input and attention as a player aren't necessary

i also don't think the horizontal movement is actually that slow, although that might be my bias as a Fortune player speaking. they can't cross the screen as fast as e.g. Guilty Gear characters can but I wouldn't want them to, and that's obviously at the extreme end of the spectrum

It's fine if you like that, but people who don't aren't somehow confused about resets being escapable when they say Skullgirls is boring bc it's reset city. (You may not have implied this, but Skullgirls Defense Force often does.)

Most of the fgs I like are super aggression-oriented, but Vsav, MvC2, KOF, etc. all manage this while also not feeling like the whole round is one continuous combo. All of them have faster movement options than SG does and more situations that reset to neutral, which is important for matches to feel fast and frenetic but still well paced.

I actually think doing combos in Skullgirls feels pretty good, but playing it didn't hold my interest for that long (and even less so for my fgc friends).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I can't speak meaningfully to MvC2 or KoF but the most mobile Skullgirls characters are on par with or possibly even faster than the most mobile VSav characters. Hsien-Ko's chain swing is probably about the same as Fortune's H. Fiber Upper cancel, Valentine has an extremely good airdash plus Savage Bypass which is nearly instant (and nearly fullscreen), Beowulf literally has Beast Cannon, etc.

It also has a bigger stage and was developed in the era of widescreen which is closely related to and can change how "speed" is perceived or measured, but that kind of cuts both ways: on the one hand it's possible to be further away from the other person than it is in vsav, which feels like "slower", but it also means that instantly crossing 75% of the stage is more distance (relative to character and hitbox sizes) in the same time.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 3, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
skullgirls players never seem to get that when people talk about not liking a certain situation that happens in skullgirls matches, like a reset, its not just the reset. its a reset inside of skullgirls, and skullgirls is not a fun game. i dont think that anyone is going to say "i hate all resets" but most people will say "i hate resets in skullgirls"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it is a fun game though

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

im glad skullgirls solved this weird problem all fighting games had called "pacing" and just outright removed it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

more seriously if it's not the resets, but rather their frequency, or that the risk/reward balance is off, or that they're so strong that there isn't room in the game for a regular wake-up game because the resets are always better than a hard knockdown, or whatever other mechanic is the problem that isn't the platonic ideal of resets itself, then by all means, talk about that

if you can draw out the difference that's better for everyone's understanding of the games being compared and what they do or don't like

if you can't it sounds completely arbitrary and of course people are gonna get defensive in that situation

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

anime was right posted:

im glad skullgirls solved this weird problem all fighting games had called "pacing" and just outright removed it

what can i say, on the "can it be played tabbed out on the toilet" scale of Hearthstone to Brood War, I like an 8 better than a 7

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Skullgirls is a single-player game where two players look out for opportunities to play it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Reiley posted:

Skullgirls is a single-player game where two players look out for opportunities to play it.

That explains DBFZ too

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DBFZ is a cautionary tale about having too much horizontal movement

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

*haha steps in to the distance, forever*

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zand posted:

skullgirls players never seem to get that when people talk about not liking a certain situation that happens in skullgirls matches, like a reset, its not just the reset. its a reset inside of skullgirls, and skullgirls is not a fun game. i dont think that anyone is going to say "i hate all resets" but most people will say "i hate resets in skullgirls"

The way you talk in universalities is really grating. I don't like skullgirls either but that doesn't make it an objectively unfun game. It just means it's not fun for you and me. Some people, like Tuxedo obviously, find it very fun. Your points would be a lot more effective if you allowed for the fact that the way you perceive things isn't the objective reality for everyone.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AttackBacon posted:

The way you talk in universalities is really grating. I don't like skullgirls either but that doesn't make it an objectively unfun game. It just means it's not fun for you and me. Some people, like Tuxedo obviously, find it very fun. Your points would be a lot more effective if you allowed for the fact that the way you perceive things isn't the objective reality for everyone.

Zand is an rear end in a top hat but Skullgirls being a slog to play is immutable, universal truth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

Zand is one of the best and most knowledgeable posters in this thread, I just think he's making a lazy argument in this particular case

like I am genuinely interested in hearing him poo poo on a game I like as long as it's on a level that isn't "it's bad because it's Skullgirls"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

AttackBacon posted:

your first post in this thread is five days ago. The gently caress?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
skullgirls is more enjoyable as a 1v1 game than 3v3 tbh

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

AttackBacon posted:

I only have to go on what I hear from other players. I played skullgirls 1.0 at release and again after the game came out. I play fighting games and talk about them with others online, and loving of course I can only speak to my experience. if you are getting something out of my post other than a post about my reflections on my personal experience with people that have played skullgirls and the game then you need to take a break from online. beginning every single one of my posts with a caveat about how its my opinon and not a general truth is loving stupid and if you can't tell that posters on the forum post their opinon idk what i can do to help you. i dont want to have a philosophical chat about how i can best talk about my opinion in a way that doesnt upset AttackBacon so please don't @ me about this

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

skullgirls is more enjoyable as a 1v1 game than 3v3 tbh

I played skullgirls 1v1s a lot because I only ever played against one person who would only play big band but then I learned how to put a team together and that made him stop playing for some reason woops

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i miss marvel

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Poniard posted:

I played skullgirls 1v1s a lot because I only ever played against one person who would only play big band but then I learned how to put a team together and that made him stop playing for some reason woops

I've played 1v3 against top players and while I'll probably never be as good as they are, it is striking how much they hate playing 3v1 against even semi-competent solos lol

for a long time it was accepted as common knowledge that a team was stronger, and i think that's still true for a lot of characters, but as people have improved at the game solos have become more and more visibly good (a lot of it riding on the back of the combo breaker 2017 finals)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fereydun posted:

i miss marvel

the biggest tragedy of MVCI is that it was the thing that permanently put mvc3 in the grave but then it died in under a year so now there's just nothing.

at least capcom was smart enough to give mvc3 a quick PC port while they had the license again

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AttackBacon posted:

zand is good

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
why did people stop playing mvc3 anyway

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

darealkooky posted:

the biggest tragedy of MVCI is that it was the thing that permanently put mvc3 in the grave but then it died in under a year so now there's just nothing.

at least capcom was smart enough to give mvc3 a quick PC port while they had the license again

the way the greater fgc seems to embrace sequel churn as good and desirable, as typically weaponized as an argument against melee, has never made sense to me

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fereydun posted:

i miss marvel

it sucks that underneath the aesthetic dogshit, crappy DLC, piss-poor roster and aural awfulness there is a pretty fun game in MVCI. If they had given it even a little bit of effort and had a better budget the game would have been fine. Replace poo poo like Chris with Leon, Nemesis with Jack Baker, make Nathan Spencer the classic one, etc etc. It's amazing how lazy they were with such a rich and potentially profitable series and were content to let it crater impossibly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hace posted:

why did people stop playing mvc3 anyway

One touch deaths got boring to watch

I actually dunno what the real reason is but that’s been a huge complaint about 3