Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
If you've done some outsourcing with offshore developers, how has your experience been and who were they?

I've contracted some work on a website and used two companies: Tunga and Sloboda.

Both experiences were exactly the same.

They both start out great, finishing projects quickly and at a reasonable cost. Then as I requested more projects, they began to take their time, do lots of "refactoring" and often end up on the "pessimistic" side of their estimates. When pressed about what was taking so long the usualky answer was that I had asked them to do something they'd never done before and needed a week to research it while I was still being billed. One example was Stripe integration. I find it hard to believe that an established company full of programmers had no one on staff who had set up Stripe for a client before.

Basically, it got worse and worse until I could get to a stopping point and stop working with them.

I know experiences and projects vary wildly but I would like to hear about others' experience with outsourced web development.

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
i think you're looking for 'offshoring vs. onshoring' as opposed to 'foreign vs. non-foreign'...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I find it hard to believe that an established company full of programmers had no one on staff who had set up Stripe for a client before.

I would guess that Stripe not being in Eastern Europe, Africa, or most of Asia, being a slight factor in knowledge. If you stuck to plain basic code with almost no third party integration you would be in a more productive spot.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Anyone notice how foreign developers are ruining our dev environment and corrupting our child processes?

return0
Apr 11, 2007
Foreigners function interface.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

When pressed about what was taking so long the usualky answer was that I had asked them to do something they'd never done before and needed a week to research it while I was still being billed.

So you expect them to do the research on how to implement something into your project on their own time for free? You're the problem here, not them.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
If they're still delivering a good product within the estimate (even if it's on the high side), I'd count that as a success. Learning a new API for integration is always billable, and it's often hard for a developer to estimate since they don't know the API... Now if they're billing 40 hours to learn Stripe and not implement anything, that's a different problem.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

As someone who's never heard of stripe before (nor I would expect has any of my coworkers, but then I'm not a web developer), it does look fairly complex at a first glance. The basic functionality seems easy enough to implement, but if all the refunds, records, etc. need to be integrated, potentially with their own pages, I could see it taking a while.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, its not trivial. It likes to market itself as trivial, but if you want to do anything more complicated than the most basic of functionality (and you likely do), then youll be setting up endpoints and data models and the like.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
You do realize there are about an infinite number of API's in use out there right? It isn't reasonable at all to ever say "I find it hard to believe that an established company full of programmers had no one on staff who had set up [literally any API] for a client before."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Portland Sucks posted:

You do realize there are about an infinite number of API's in use out there right? It isn't reasonable at all to ever say "I find it hard to believe that an established company full of programmers had no one on staff who had set up [literally any API] for a client before."

You beat me to it.

And yes research is billable. Software development is 80% research anyway; it's a creative endeavor and every device or system you integrate with has guaranteed found an exciting and unique way to break from common conventions, leave out features you'd expect them to have, and otherwise function in a way you don't expect. This poo poo is almost never plug and play despite the fact that every single software product's Marketing Website Featuring Three Boxes tells you it is.

A good developer is one that CAN learn whatever system or piece of tech a company wants to use (usually without actually consulting ahead of time with anybody who has to do the work), not one that already knows it. It costs because it's hard and most people can't do it at all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
OP, have you considered that the pattern is not that foreign developers are bad, but that you start out by giving them the low-hanging fruit, and with time what you give them is harder and harder to implement? We've had similar issues in house where we have a working prototype very early, but then with time elaborations that seem less and less significant take longer and longer. And yeah, the more specialized the problem, the more research is needed to do the later parts.

That seems more likely to me than a company based in the Netherlands and contracting out to African developers and a company based in Ukraine both being bad in ways that do not have to do with the tasks you give them.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

OP, have you considered that the pattern is not that foreign developers are bad, but that you start out by giving them the low-hanging fruit, and with time what you give them is harder and harder to implement? We've had similar issues in house where we have a working prototype very early, but then with time elaborations that seem less and less significant take longer and longer. And yeah, the more specialized the problem, the more research is needed to do the later parts.

That seems more likely to me than a company based in the Netherlands and contracting out to African developers and a company based in Ukraine both being bad in ways that do not have to do with the tasks you give them.

Yeah, I think I started the thread out of frustration instead of thinking about it much.

We've made so many mistakes in this process and it's been a great learning experience.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
We recently cut ties with our offshore development (Pakastan) and hired a bunch of in-house development to replace them. While it was always easy to slag off their developers as bad after some thought I feel that was mostly unfair, some of the developers were actually pretty talented and you could see this in the various ingenious hacks they came up with to, but the problem was the use of hacks in the first place. The culture with this company was 'get the job done by the timeline no matter what' , its a culture that seems very prevalent with these outsourcing companies and it just leads to unmanageable technical debt.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 20, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Yes cheap companies do work poorly.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shy posted:

Yes cheap companies do work poorly.

You can have it done fast, cheap, or well. Pick two.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is so "Developer" I can imagine Steve Ballmer shouting it

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
we paid an offshore team to write a some financial software that involved taking in various data feeds from large banks. The system worked great until one day it didnt so we called up and they told us that the guy drowned and and was a bad employee because he had been doing the work manually never wrote the software.

We still work with them, the backend is a nightmare of hacks but it works as long as no body else on the team drowns.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dirty Beluga posted:

we paid an offshore team to write a some financial software that involved taking in various data feeds from large banks. The system worked great until one day it didnt so we called up and they told us that the guy drowned and and was a bad employee because he had been doing the work manually never wrote the software.

We still work with them, the backend is a nightmare of hacks but it works as long as no body else on the team drowns.

Are there not regulations about financial software that prevent outsourcing it to randoms?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

If anything it is easier, although I'm going through one gigantic background check with FBI checks for one firm.

Cannot work for the Fed but you can still work on a project that someone else takes to them.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Crazy that people don't just fall off trees with the exact set of skills that a boss might need.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wooger posted:

Are there not regulations about financial software that prevent outsourcing it to randoms?

lol, no

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

wooger posted:

It's better the less you know to be honest, and it doesn't end at just outsourcing the software.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

wooger posted:

the more important the software is, the shittier the quality. the world's strongest and most well-paid software engineers write javascript that puts ads on web pages. strong engineers that work for the love of software work on video games. medical billing / EMR software probably has the worst engineering on the planet.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I took over a decent-sized WordPress website once that ran a custom theme developed by a team in India and it was a complete nightmare to deal with and I ended up rewriting large parts of the templates and custom plugins to make customization through the admin UI possible beyond basic new posts. Using completely custom meta box scripting that made it difficult to change post type boxes without messing up others instead of like Advanced Custom Fields for example.

I don't blame the developers though the PM process was basically nonexistent and the guy in charge was like a former TV reporter with no software project experience and our org hired a local agency to do it that outsourced the work and I don't think it was clear from the beginning that the development would not be done in-house at that agency. Basically my org dropped like 70k for a poo poo WordPress site that me and another guy had to unfuck as best we could to do anything at all.

The only problem that came up as a result of offshoring specifically was time zone differences made it hard to schedule calls. So this was more an exercise in bad PM and lack of clear business requirements rather than "outsourcing bad."

^^fintech software gives medical a run for the "worst" money. E.g. the standard platforms in the mortgage industry have some of the worst UI and UX ive ever seen. I feel really bad for the people who have to use it daily.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 19, 2018

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not being specific to the OP's situation, but if you hire offshore for cheaper and it isn't in the west, you get what you pay for. It was common knowledge in my old firm that "senior software engineer" in our Indian office was not the same as "senior software engineer" in the London office. When you pay less you should always expect less.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

^^fintech software gives medical a run for the "worst" money. E.g. the standard platforms in the mortgage industry have some of the worst UI and UX ive ever seen. I feel really bad for the people who have to use it daily.

Is this a case of "we'll just use what we've always used because it would be too hard to switch to something better"?

I'd think there'd be huge money in making a program that giant, cash rich organizations would want to pay for.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

Is this a case of "we'll just use what we've always used because it would be too hard to switch to something better"?

Exactly. What they have works well enough and probably has decades of obscure custom business logic baked in. The real cost isn't in the sticker price of some new platform, but in figuring out all that ancient logic and reliably getting it into the new system (whose customization features have probably been oversold).

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
They make me want to kill myself.

Sometimes that feeling diminishes, but rarely.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
My experience with foreign developers is that when you have a development group that is held at a distance, doesn't have input in planning, and doesn't have the authority to make substantive changes (when necessary) they will produce bad things.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Dirty Beluga posted:

What the gently caress, how do you even get into this situation?

Youre paying them to write software and no one onshore could get off their rear end to take a peek at the code?

Offshoring with zero oversight is a hopelessly bad idea. Not because offshore developers are bad, but because zero oversight is bad. Add in the overhead of language/cultural differences and youre toast.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lumpy posted:

You can have it done fast, finished, or as specified. Pick one.

ftfy

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Foreign developers are bad because they give the sorts of people who hire foreign developers exactly what they want in the parameters that they want them, no questions asked. The people who hire them will never, ever interrogate their own role in the lovely software that was produced, though, they'll just decide to be racist instead.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
We've used offshore devs for a few projects. They tend to work to spec, no more, no less, and won't tell you when you ask them to do something stupid. They'll just do it. They will write horribly unmaintainable code which I assume is partly because they don't care about somebody else's codebase, partly because that means the next time they modify the software it will take longer and you'll have to pay them more money.

My direct experience has been that they have all been highly knowledgable individuals, but when you just hand them a spec and let them get on with it everything goes to poo poo. I blame my company for this, not the offshore teams.

Also they cost about 1/3 of an onshore dev but take about 3 times longer to do anything, so we generally used them for easy scaling rather than anything else. Until that one time some executive had the bright idea to buy an offshore company. We have since sold them.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

My experience with foreign developers is that when you have a development group that is held at a distance, doesn't have input in planning, and doesn't have the authority to make substantive changes (when necessary) they will produce bad things.

This 10,000%. Every time I hear about people casually being racist against Indians work product if you dig deeper you find out they are just dropping poo poo with no context over the wall.

Also part of it is, like any model that is outsourcing (onshore or offshore) the first deliverable will use their best and then they switch over to newer people who may not know as much and move the best people to focus on initial sale

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
We worked with a team of Serbian developers but we integrated them into the regular IT teams. So the team would partially be local, partially offshore. This is still not ideal because all your team communication now needs to go through Skype and whatnot, but it was okay. In the end we stopped doing it because it's nigh-on impossible to do things like mentor junior developers if they're remote. Additionally, there is a lot of informal discussion between developers and business people that they would miss out on.

Still, we went to Serbia for a week every year and for someone who only knew Serbia as "weren't they the bad guys in that war", they're wonderful people who have excellent food and craft beers. Visiting the Exit Festival wasn't too shabby either :)

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Vomik posted:

This 10,000%. Every time I hear about people casually being racist against Indians work product if you dig deeper you find out they are just dropping poo poo with no context over the wall.

Also part of it is, like any model that is outsourcing (onshore or offshore) the first deliverable will use their best and then they switch over to newer people who may not know as much and move the best people to focus on initial sale

Two great points, the second one is especially a factor for any outsourced stuff. I worked as a subcontractor for a firm that does a lot o e-commerce things here in Sweden and they literally have a super team full of very talented people to deliver fast and once the first contract is fulfilled they rotate in a bunch of mediocre maintenance people and milk the client.

A thing Ive noticed with outsourced developers or testers is a very Cover Your rear end attitude, being very risk averse and paranoid. They also seem to prefer have a way of working that minimizes communication, and argue that some change will cause them to bother us to much where I think the problem is that they dont bother us enough!

And there is also the whole you get what you pay for thing. Even if you probably can get top tier developers for a lot less in poorer countries the top tier developers arent going to be working at the outsourcing firms imho, theyll emigrate or work at local companies whose whole gimmick isnt just were cheap.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've but anecdotes for both sides of the coin. Offshore development tends to be cheap and lovely, with my anecdote being a company that contracted such a firm for a company-wide intranet portal. It technically worked, but I'd venture to guess that some network drives and just CCing the entire company would have been a better alternative for intra-company communication and document storage. I think that sacked it after 2 years. The cost was somewhere in the realm of several hundred thousand dollars for 14 months of work that they got rid of in about as much time. The actual total cost was probably north of $2m if you consider organizational costs and lost time/wages etc. On the flipside, I know a company that contracted a few US engineers for north of $6,000 / engineer / week. They apparently kicked rear end and I think that most of those engineers eventually got hired into the company as staff/principles later.

You get what you pay for as it turns out.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Vomik posted:

You could say that when people are invested in what they are producing, they produce better things........

It is part of the reason why I only program for myself these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Agencies vary in quality regardless of where they are based/distributed.

I've had really good experiences using offshore dev teams to build very specific things. It's no different to hiring an onshore agency to do something or other.