Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

i'm just going to miss the good production values, 24/7, and of course OKAY JIM!. hopefully we'll get a few more Legendary Nights docs out of it--the last one was the one about the Ward-Gatti trilogy--as a way to draw the curtain.

but yeah, HBO for a long time now (even more since the AT&T buyout) has been more about Prestige TV® series than anything. they want to create the next GoT/Westworld, plus have that big new LeBron James production deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Troy Queef posted:

and of course OKAY JIM!

Fffffff ok now I'm feeling it. I'll never again know how Harold Letterman, our unofficial judge, has it.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

why the gently caress were they hanging off canelo's balls if they didn't even have a stake in his future smh

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/OscarDeLaHoya/status/1042871694023569408

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

mewse posted:

Boxing is dying

Nope.

I find this sad, as most all my historic memories of boxing events are from HBO broadcasts, and the HBO broadcast team and production were and still are far and away the gold standard of the sport. I imagine Kellerman will do ESPN cards, unfortunately it will probably be with Stephen A Smith. Hopefully Jones Jr catches on with either ESPN, Showtime, or DAZN. We’ve probably seen the last of Lampley and Lederman.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I imagine Kellerman will do ESPN cards, unfortunately it will probably be with Stephen A Smith.

Is SAS the worst person in sports television, or is that just me?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

RickJamesCocainesisahellofadrug.gif

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

hexwren posted:

Is SAS the worst person in sports television, or is that just me?

Skip Bayless easily.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1045372561759055874

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41034806-4

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
The dudes offering crack to crack heads from his Rolls in exchange for blowing a passer by, it's not surprising he's gee'd up on an Amphet.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
From the get go, it never felt like the Saunders-Andrade fight would actually happen.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Nope.

We’ve probably seen the last of Lampley and Lederman.

I'd pay a small fee to get their great commentary riff tracks style.

Edit: actually, does anyone do this? I don't follow enough to know if, like, modern mixed martial artist does. I know Mexican MA does it for UFC, but I dont really follow that sport.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/RonLewisTimes/status/1045384057515905029

Reports are that the test is still on, and the drug he tested positive for is not actually banned except when the fighters are literally in the ring. The drug is also known to be found both labeled and unlabeled in workout supplements

In short, this probably isn't as big of a deal as it might have seemed.

E: According to a statement by BJS and his team, the drug (which again, is not actually banned for use out of competition) came from a common decongestant nasal spray, the fight is still on.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 28, 2018

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Watching the 168 WBSS undercard, Naseem Hamed being introduced in the ring - he has achieved a perfect spherical form.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Skip Bayless easily.

I thought he was no longer on television, but apparently he just went to fs1 which I guess is approximately the same thing

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

groves vs smith is on rn btw. weird to have it on a friday

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
I’m liking DAZN. Coverage of both cards and stream quality has been superb.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
A Smith brother actually succeeding on the world stage. What the poo poo?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A pretty nice fight. Groves seemed to control stretches of the fight but it seemed like he was reacting to Smith's punches every time he got through.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Feel bad for Groves, too many wars, always preferred his style to high guard plodders like Callum

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
This fight between mattice(the black one not the awesome one) and hamazaryan is fuckin good

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Watching the 168 WBSS undercard, Naseem Hamed being introduced in the ring - he has achieved a perfect spherical form.

Genius. Punches will just glance right off.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

meat CRime posted:

This fight between mattice(the black one not the awesome one) and hamazaryan is fuckin good

Oh dang, it's a draw

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Just did a ghost tour of the Missouri State Pen. The "paranormal" experience was pretty unremarkable, but the history of the building was cool, and I got to stand in Sonny Liston's cell. They have the Ali KO photo hanging above his cot, which seems like a huge rear end in a top hat thing to do. Anyway, this has been my lifetime contribution to the boxing thread.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 29, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bluedeanie posted:

They have the Ali KO photo hanging above his cot, which seems like a huge rear end in a top hat thing to do.

wtf

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
By never having a complete press conference, Wilder-Fury will be much bigger than it could be with 100 press tours. A paradoxical promotion

https://twitter.com/btsport/status/1046742360145776642?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like that these guys genuinely like talking to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N73kL9AgLPc

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Callum Smith is legit. I think he beats everyone at 168, hopefully he keeps getting big fights. Considering he’s gigantic for the weight at 6’3, very dangerous, and still a bit of a no name, he may end up getting sidelined fighting WBA ranked bums though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gotta believe he fights the Eubank-Degale winner and then at some point Uzcategui who is also a bit of a no name.

Zurdo is a bit protected right now and the other guy people are talking about right now is David Benavidez, who hasn't quite gotten going yet.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fight news:

• Mikey Garcia has signed a fight with his mandatory challenger Richard Commey, staying to defend his lightweight title instead of going to welterweight
  • Fights between Sergio Martinez/Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Jeff Horn/Anthony Mundine seem to be materializing, which are both unexciting ideas that will sell well in their target markets
  • The WBC has ordered Gennady Golovkin v Jermall Charlo, Keith Thurman v Shawn Porter II, Gary Russell v Leo Santa Cruz, Jorge Linares v Adrien Broner, Mikey Garcia v Luke Campbell, Anthony Dirrell v Avni Yildirim and Julian Williams v Erislandy Lara. It's unsure how many of these will actually come to fruition since a few of them have come out of left field.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
If Martinez/Chavez jr 2 doesnt happen supposedly he would instead fight Perro Angulo on the Fury/Wilder undercard

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1047480585478967296?s=19

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I'm not sure if anyone outside of Germany remembers him, but former super middleweight and light heavyweight world champion Graciano Rocchigiani was killed in a car accident in Sicily yesterday. His second fight against Henry Maske is the first fight I remember watching and one of the most watched fights in German TV history.

https://fightnews.com/graciano-rocchigiani-killed-in-car-accident/31291

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 3, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Holy hell, Martinez coming back after 4 years just to do this rematch?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sad we never had a boxing 2018 thread

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

there needs to be some kind of cut off period where if you're out of action for so many years you can't get a license

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

Holy hell, Martinez coming back after 4 years just to do this rematch?

Seriously. I don't like this at all.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I'm a big fan of Sergio Martinez, but he's 43 year old and had a style entirely based on speed/athleticism. His knee is also a loving mess. JCC Jr obviously sucks and hasn't fought in a year and a half, but he's a big middleweight and still only 32 - in his physical prime. Not really sure the motivation here, surely Martinez isn't planning a full time comeback.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

he's taking cash to be executed by a name fighter who will never amount to anything

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Who among us wouldn't get in a ring with Jr for a few mil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Who among us wouldn't get in a ring with Jr for a few mil?

I'm currently a heavyweight but I might be convinced to eat a salad