Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont think Ive ever been killed by the chainsaw guys. A shotgun blast or two or just one of the 8 million grenades you are carrying knocks them down, swap to the knife if truly no fear, and repeat when they stand up. Theyre spooky but other than the mine cart they only appear in open areas where you can easily kit them around.

The ones in 5 were worse because you were relying on a co-op partner to cover your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I haven't been killed by any in a long while either, but that doesn't mean I agree with the design at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Amppelix posted:

I haven't been killed by any in a long while either, but that doesn't mean I agree with the design at all.

Just stay away from RE5 then. That game has a enemy with an instant death attack that infuriates me to this day because the game can really gently caress you over with it's weak spot.

I hate reapers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think I ever got killed by a QTE in RE4 more than once per playthough. You want a game with horrific QTEs, play Bayonetta. Holy poo poo it nearly ruins the whole game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm gonna go ahead and say it:

QTEs suck because they are a copout to what should be a normal gameplay mechanic. They feel cheap.

But if you're dying to QTEs you're failing at pressing buttons.

There :smuggo:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Enemies that can (and will) one-shot you are nothing new for RE.

RE4 just made 'em all noisy as hell for an extra intimidation factor. Reapers (RE5) are still much worse than either though, both for how fast they'll end your fun and how lovely they are for gameplay.

And yeah QTE's are often just lazy dumb poo poo, with the worst being those masquerading as "interactive cut scenes". Get the gently caress out of my face with that poo poo, making me press buttons suddenly while I'm holding the controller with one hand and grabbing a drink in the other. Bastard.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Lol at thinking the chainsaw death is in anyway bad.Some terrible opinions here.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sorry for my bad opinions, but I think instant death is a punishment that should be extremely carefully doled out in pretty much any game, and most don't do a good job of it. It's one of my standard complaints with a lot of games.

Leon getting his head cut off with a chainsaw is awesome though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The reapers in RE5 are hot garbage.

Im ok with instadeath depending on design; the one in RE4 im good with because the enemy is very consciously deployed knowing its a one shot foe. Its slow, has extremely audible cue, and has a very visible windup. The difficulty of them is the game asking you to handle the horde enemies while keeping away from chainsaw man so while they kill you in one hit, it all but requires you making multiple mistakes in positioning yourself and other enemeis to die from.

QTEs are trash and Shenmue deserves to be burned in effigy

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

button mashing QTEs are loving garbage for people like me with a serious arm injury. timing based is whatever, its kind of bad, but i basically cant play any game with button mashing anymore

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

And yeah QTE's are often just lazy dumb poo poo, with the worst being those masquerading as "interactive cut scenes". Get the gently caress out of my face with that poo poo, making me press buttons suddenly while I'm holding the controller with one hand and grabbing a drink in the other. Bastard.

Stealing this for the "Thing dragging this game down" thread

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

rabidsquid posted:

button mashing QTEs are loving garbage for people like me with a serious arm injury. timing based is whatever, its kind of bad, but i basically cant play any game with button mashing anymore

Imagine trying to beat one of the boss fights based around a rhythm minigame in the first Sly Cooper on the PS3 collection and finding out that the music is actually desynced from the button presses.

Also, any game that makes you mash buttons and especially rotate the joystick can die in a fire.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I haven’t played the Drakengard games because of the rhythm based final boss

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I couldn't tell what parts of the China campaign were lovely prescription cutscenes so I watched an LP. Apparently "every part of the game except the college" is the actual answer.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

One of my favourite recent video game trends is giving an option to turn button mashing sections into just holding the button. God of War, Uncharted 4 and Spider-man all had this option and it's great.

Spider-man even has a straight up autocomplete QTEs setting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I haven’t played the Drakengard games because of the rhythm based final boss

I thought that was just the final boss of one of the ends of the first one.

Which you should never play as it’s a bad game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Both one and three end with rhythm bosses.

3 ends with the screen going black and no music playing and the ending cutscene dialog starting and you must push the button one more time in sync with this invisible and announced button prompt or instantly fail a roughly 6 minute long sequence.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Yeah the mine thrower in 4 isn't great but you can shoot ganados in the dick and the mine sticks to their dick and then their dick explodes :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Am I gonna have to go and buy Resident Evil 4 for the <checks notes> 4th time because of this thread?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Barudak posted:

Am I gonna have to go and buy Resident Evil 4 for the <checks notes> 4th time because of this thread?

I bought it several times over the years, so yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

Both one and three end with rhythm bosses.

3 ends with the screen going black and no music playing and the ending cutscene dialog starting and you must push the button one more time in sync with this invisible and announced button prompt or instantly fail a roughly 6 minute long sequence.

Yikes

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Yeah the mine thrower in 4 isn't great but you can shoot ganados in the dick and the mine sticks to their dick and then their dick explodes :colbert:

Mine thrower is basically RE4 Drunken Boxing. It's kind of hard to tell what'll actually happen, and it might hurt you, but it'll probably be hilarious all the same.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've played re4 'optimally' enough times that i always go for the mine launcher now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mine Launcher, Grenades, and as many fish as will fit in the briefcase

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mine Thrower ia the secret kryptonite against the final boss because it guarantees you knock him down for face stabbings at least 10 times.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

re6 fuckin rules its so over the top i love it
i dont get how ppl can hate it so much
i dont think its soulless at all

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

in fact if u dont like re6 then you are probably a bad person irl

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turdfuzz posted:

re6 fuckin rules its so over the top i love it
i dont get how ppl can hate it so much
i dont think its soulless at all

Lotta unskipable cutscenes aka slow hallway walks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Spalec posted:

One of my favourite recent video game trends is giving an option to turn button mashing sections into just holding the button. God of War, Uncharted 4 and Spider-man all had this option and it's great.

Spider-man even has a straight up autocomplete QTEs setting.

yeah i very much appreciate this in god of war, especially because when my arm is really bad i can really only play on console since i can just leave my hands in my lap with a controller

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The intro to RE6 was perhaps the oddest part of an already weird game. A flash-forward dramatically different from the entire rest of the game in tone, which.... once you actually get there in the normal course of the story, plays out absolutely nothing like the prologue did?

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

Lotta unskipable cutscenes aka slow hallway walks.

ill admit leons first level was aggravating but after that it wasnt prevalent enough to really bother me

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Amppelix when you get to the lake make sure you go up on the dock and shoot at the fish in the water until you get the cutscene if you haven't yet. It makes the fight a lot easier

PsychoHawk
Aug 7, 2004
We can't stop here ... this is BAT country!

Turdfuzz posted:

ill admit leons first level was aggravating but after that it wasnt prevalent enough to really bother me

I don't get most of the hate for RE6 but I do understand that the pacing and forced chase scenes are annoying. I think the greatest enemy in all of RE6 is the awful camera, flipping around for no reason other than to ruin your combo, make things "spooky", or to just plain get you killed. Most of the action was fun, but once I ground out all the good skills, it was kind of easy. The story was all over the place, but I feel like half of the teams were told this was THE last Resident Evil and the other half were given lots of drugs before making storyline decisions.

Now at least we have RE2 remake coming to make us all sperg about the missing dead scientist body in the underground lab that someone will inevitably whine about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turdfuzz posted:

They're shorter in the other campaigns but they happen a fair bit. Chris' snake chapter is basically just a bunch of interruptions to moving forward which, come on, he's already fought a giant snake this is old news.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In contrast RE7 also has a share of its scenes that cant be skipped but they are mostly in the opening and the game ramps up pretty quickly.

Also they did a much better job. Probably because the design wasnt divided between 3 internally competing teams.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Everything I remember from RE6 is from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wmoj86Or0

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Amppelix when you get to the lake make sure you go up on the dock and shoot at the fish in the water until you get the cutscene if you haven't yet. It makes the fight a lot easier
I'm on the island, and unless there's a second lake in the game this is way late

That fight wasn't hard anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

I dont think Ive ever been killed by the chainsaw guys. A shotgun blast or two or just one of the 8 million grenades you are carrying knocks them down, swap to the knife if truly no fear, and repeat when they stand up. Theyre spooky but other than the mine cart they only appear in open areas where you can easily kit them around.

The ones in 5 were worse because you were relying on a co-op partner to cover your rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6p8CO2rjk4

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Amppelix posted:

I'm on the island, and unless there's a second lake in the game this is way late

That fight wasn't hard anyway.

What they meant to say was it'll make the fight waaay shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So much money wasted in that banquet hall you do nothing in. At least they managed to reuse it for REvelations 2's RAID mode.