Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Minidust posted:

Sorry to double post but I'll go ahead since it may help someone down the road. I did two things to get Home Sharing working on my Apple TV - the first may not be related but the second definitely is:

1) I switched SSIDs and discovered that one of my networks had been set to "Public". So I switched it to Private (this was called "Allow network discovery" or something like that in older versions of Windows)

2) I turned off Home Sharing in iTunes, then reactivated and signed in. This brought up a prompt asking whether I wanted to authorize this PC (which hadn't happened before during my initial setup, for whatever reason). I chose to Authorize, and whammo, I've got home sharing back.

So it seems the key is explicitly authorizing the DEVICE for home sharing, which is a separate thing from other iCloud/Apple ID stuff. And if it doesn't ask, you have to make it ask!

Thanks for chiming in, people!

I suspect 1) was related - Windows Firewall (and/or perhaps even iTunes itself) would likely block it on a network considered public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

American McGay posted:

I know this is probably more of a digital release issue than a specifically Apple one, but how the gently caress are you gonna release a movie like Mandy and not offer it in 4K/HDR?????

Also Infinity War. :( So the issue is some studios want to charge more for 4K/HDR version, but Apple doesn't?

Sucks especially for us europeans, no other streaming service seems to offer 4K/HDR, Vudu isn't available etc.
Is there a chance they become available later?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I have a weird problem with HDR/Dolby Vision, specifically on AppleTV. They make the picture quality in films look a bit washed out. Menus look normal, SDR is also fine. It recognizes the right format and my TV automatically changes to the right mode, but compared to for example HDR Youtube videos and PS4 games, it looks really underwhelming. SDR actually looks better/more clear.

I'm using LG C7 and Denon AVR-x2400H amp. HDMI test passes and there isn't any other performance issues (other than volume seems really low, I have to turn up my amp a lot more than on other devices). I've also tried connecting directly to my TV and using a cable instead of just wi-fi.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it normal that VLC is extremely slow to put up results over SMB shares from a Mac? I’ve always put up with it as I don’t need it often, but maybe I’ve set something incorrectly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it normal that VLC is extremely slow to put up results over SMB shares from a Mac? I’ve always put up with it as I don’t need it often, but maybe I’ve set something incorrectly.

Is VLC still only using the insecure SMBv1, or have they finally added support for SMB versions that don't put your files at such a risk?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that something that’s a worry behind a generic router acting as a firewall or do you need to provide a route into your network to be worried about it?

I messed around with Infuse which is much faster, and doesn’t demand I pay for it if I don’t rely on my Plex shares so that’s something.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Nm

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 3, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't understand why I get logged out of my TV apps every so often for seemingly no loving reason. It didn't happen when I updated the tvOS, but happened like a week ago. It's really loving annoying.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't understand why I get logged out of my TV apps every so often for seemingly no loving reason. It didn't happen when I updated the tvOS, but happened like a week ago. It's really loving annoying.

I'd imagine each app owner has their own special timeout period, it happens in some apps so often that the "enter the code" pages are now in the autocomplete on my ipad.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It is absolutely the worst quality of life issue with the Apple TV.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Isn't there supposed to be some new fancy password filling mechanism that should pop up when you need to sign in? I haven't seen that yet.

Violator
May 15, 2003

It seemed like for some apps that the password got reset when the app was updated.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mahoning posted:

It is absolutely the worst quality of life issue with the Apple TV.

Especially when you’re using relatives’ accounts. I’ll probably redo Starz, Showtime, and HBO this weekend during a visit.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Especially when you’re using relatives’ accounts. I’ll probably redo Starz, Showtime, and HBO this weekend during a visit.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how “zero sign-on” works? It’s launching with Charter this fall and other providers in the future. Like it knows what IP you’re using so it auto-signs you into your accounts or something? Seems like a “look how convenient this is (oh by the way you can’t share accounts any more)” kind of thing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In case anyone else was looking for this, you can use Shortcuts to turn on your Apple TV. Only works if you're connected to the same wifi network unless you set up some kind of port forwarding in your router but it's pretty neat. Now Siri turns on my TV and sets my living room lights (via Hue) with a voice command.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Boris Galerkin posted:

In case anyone else was looking for this, you can use Shortcuts to turn on your Apple TV. Only works if you're connected to the same wifi network unless you set up some kind of port forwarding in your router but it's pretty neat. Now Siri turns on my TV and sets my living room lights (via Hue) with a voice command.

This is dope. Do you think there is any way to have it turn off the TV and ATV?
Or, do more within the app, using ATV Remote stuff?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m not sure, but these two links look somewhat promising.

1. https://github.com/postlund/pyatv/blob/master/docs/protocol.rst
2. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35355807/has-anyone-reversed-engineered-the-protocol-used-by-apples-ios-remote-app-for-c

I’m interested in at least being able to turn it off, but setting volume would be nice, and being able to open into Netflix would be the bees knees.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for this.

I was hoping once the shortcut was setup I'd be able to turn on the TV just by asking my HomePod, and it works perfectly!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

One of the guys in the SO post emailed me back and didn’t outright say it would be impossible to set up more advanced shortcuts to control the Apple TV. So if anyone wanted to look into it … I’ll give it a shot when I get some time.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm probably going to sign up for this Verizon 5G home internet service, and one of the sign-up benefits is a free Chromecast Ultra or Apple TV 4k. I already have a Chromecast Ultra and it's kind of mediocre, so the Apple TV seems like obviously the better product. I have a Windows laptop and an Android phone, though, so I don't have anything in the Apple ecosystem.

A buddy told me that Apple TV is "basically useless" without at least an iPhone, but reading through the OP, that doesn't really seem like the case. It seems more like Apple TV just won't have extra features beyond what a Chromecast Ultra would have, but it probably has better hardware and would be like a super-Roku.

Is that right, or am I off the mark?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Off the top of my head the only thing you’ll miss out on by not having other apple devices is not being able to Airplay stuff from your phone. You will need to make an Apple ID. If you have local music/videos on your PC you can stream them through iTunes if you want. Don’t know if the appletv has a Spotify app.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

An Apple TV doesn't require an iphone at all. Apps run directly on it and it doesn't need to be cast to. Other than casting to it, the iphone atv remote app is useful for typing in passwords.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

phosdex posted:

An Apple TV doesn't require an iphone at all. Apps run directly on it and it doesn't need to be cast to. Other than casting to it, the iphone atv remote app is useful for typing in passwords.

Well you do for Spotify since they still haven’t made an aTV app, but yeah there’s pretty much an app for everything on it these days.

I’ve got my HD Home Run Prime going to it (cable card) via Channels (I managed DVR through PLEX on it as well), Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime Vid and Pluto. Plus Apple Music and Pandora.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

surf rock posted:

I'm probably going to sign up for this Verizon 5G home internet service, and one of the sign-up benefits is a free Chromecast Ultra or Apple TV 4k. I already have a Chromecast Ultra and it's kind of mediocre, so the Apple TV seems like obviously the better product. I have a Windows laptop and an Android phone, though, so I don't have anything in the Apple ecosystem.

A buddy told me that Apple TV is "basically useless" without at least an iPhone, but reading through the OP, that doesn't really seem like the case. It seems more like Apple TV just won't have extra features beyond what a Chromecast Ultra would have, but it probably has better hardware and would be like a super-Roku.

Is that right, or am I off the mark?

He is completely off the mark. The only thing I use my iPhone for is typing in passwords which the ATV remote is more than capable for and casting YouTube videos when too lazy to search for them on the ATV.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Just FYI that the Verizon home 5G service is based on nonstandard technology that isn't actually compatible with what the industry as a whole will deploy as 5G. Verizon has to replace all of their current 5G hardware in the future. They claim they won't charge customers for this but I think it's worth noting.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, cool. Thank you all for your advice!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Just FYI that the Verizon home 5G service is based on nonstandard technology that isn't actually compatible with what the industry as a whole will deploy as 5G. Verizon has to replace all of their current 5G hardware in the future. They claim they won't charge customers for this but I think it's worth noting.

Yeah, I saw something about that. I think chances are that they do replace it for free. Even if they don't, my 12-month promo contract with Comcast just ended yesterday and now I'm paying $115/month for 100 mbps internet, a dozen local channels, and HBO (which I don't care about). Since I've got a Verizon phone plan, I would be paying $50/month for at least 300 mbps. I would also get the first three months free, get an upgrade on my streaming tech with this free Apple TV, and I could just get a cheap digital antenna to get the local channels back.

So, honestly, I think they'd have to be charging at least several hundred dollars in changeover fees for the equipment swap for it to come out to the same cost, and I'd still have way faster internet.

The only thing I wish I could find is a blog or vlog post from someone else in one of the test markets who has actually gotten it installed to know a little bit what that looks like. I saw a local news clip that made it look like there was basically a little dish being installed on the house's roof, which would kinda suck, but it's not that big of a deal (especially since both of my neighbors have their own dish for their DirecTV subscriptions, so they couldn't bitch about it).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

surf rock posted:

OK, cool. Thank you all for your advice!

Yeah, I saw something about that. I think chances are that they do replace it for free. Even if they don't, my 12-month promo contract with Comcast just ended yesterday and now I'm paying $115/month for 100 mbps internet, a dozen local channels, and HBO (which I don't care about). Since I've got a Verizon phone plan, I would be paying $50/month for at least 300 mbps. I would also get the first three months free, get an upgrade on my streaming tech with this free Apple TV, and I could just get a cheap digital antenna to get the local channels back.

So, honestly, I think they'd have to be charging at least several hundred dollars in changeover fees for the equipment swap for it to come out to the same cost, and I'd still have way faster internet.

The only thing I wish I could find is a blog or vlog post from someone else in one of the test markets who has actually gotten it installed to know a little bit what that looks like. I saw a local news clip that made it look like there was basically a little dish being installed on the house's roof, which would kinda suck, but it's not that big of a deal (especially since both of my neighbors have their own dish for their DirecTV subscriptions, so they couldn't bitch about it).

drat this sounds awesome. I’m in LA which I guess they were supposed to roll this out to but not for me yet.

Seems much better vs spectrum at this point.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
so what the heck is this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bad deploy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ManSedan posted:

so what the heck is this

Please don't type your password into this.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Please don't type your password into this.

My mama didn’t raise an idiot.

For clarification when I came home my wife said the tv “lost connection”, and when I opened the settings, that message popped up. I’ve been googling a bit and some random support posts from ‘15 talk about this message, however they only mention phones. According to three plus year old internet posts it’s something on the routers end, but all my other devices are fine.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ManSedan posted:

My mama didn’t raise an idiot.

For clarification when I came home my wife said the tv “lost connection”, and when I opened the settings, that message popped up. I’ve been googling a bit and some random support posts from ‘15 talk about this message, however they only mention phones. According to three plus year old internet posts it’s something on the routers end, but all my other devices are fine.

Could this be a captive portal thing? Those always show as apple.com on MacOS.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Kimoa Kid posted:

This is probably true, but, while I don’t live in a 4G area, Verizon seems to be offering very good discounts to enroll in the current 5G internet if you’re in one of the few qualifying areas. So personally, I would take all the discounts, and down the road if Verizon ends up charging more, you always can switch back to whatever cable company.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I got a new 55” TV that supports 4K HDTV / Dolby Vision and around the same time I started watching Ozark on Netflix.

I notice a ton of artifact when watching it. Is it just the show? Or is it Netflix? Or some setting I have wrong?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What sort of artifact? Stuttering? Blocking?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

What sort of artifact? Stuttering? Blocking?
Blocking, mostly in the dark part of the screen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It might be Netflix. I noticed the same thing watching The Witch recently.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone else noticed that Netflix on the 4K is kinda running like poo poo? It seems to take a long rear end time to log in and load stuff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone else noticed that Netflix on the 4K is kinda running like poo poo? It seems to take a long rear end time to log in and load stuff.

Not just 4K. I’m glad you posted this, my 4th gen has been taking a noticeably longer time to load Netflix. Once the app is open, it’s mostly ok, but I haven’t been browsing much lately to know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Not just 4K. I’m glad you posted this, my 4th gen has been taking a noticeably longer time to load Netflix. Once the app is open, it’s mostly ok, but I haven’t been browsing much lately to know for sure.

Yeah seems to take a while to load and I'll have titles error out every so often too.