Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Have you played other Mega Man games? They really require a certain mindset and “groove” to play them well without frustration.

Actually no.
Not really... :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lmfao at the guy who's bad at mega man.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Celeste is actually the 11 while Mega Man is just a 5

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Feenix posted:

I really like Mega Man but gently caress that game it's such a rage-inducing piece of poo poo, even on Casual. gently caress it. I am over it. I don't need to feel bad because I can't navigate rear end in a top hat falling blocks and conveyor belts and annoying floating yellow things.

Signed: Someone who is obviously too old for games like that, I guess

I see a lot of Old Gamers doing well so it might just be you

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I've come into some Amazon gift cards and was thinking about picking up a Pro Controller. Is it still where different designs have different D-Pads, or did they figure all that out?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fallom posted:

I see a lot of Old Gamers doing well so it might just be you

It might just! I don’t think (and if I did I didn’t mean to) claim the game was bad, just that I was having a frustrating time with it when I don’t usually succumb to rage and frustration with most games.

It is what it is!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 3, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got my copy of Night Trap!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Feenix posted:

It might just! I don’t think (and if I did I didn’t mean to) claim the game was bad, just that I was having a frustrating time with it when I don’t usually succumb to rage and frustration with a game.

It is what it is!

Nah welcome to Nintendo Hard. It was bullshit, we know it's bullshit, and it is still bullshit.

Not sure what my point is other than what you're feeling is normal. The other side of the coin is smashing your face into the wall until it falls down and then tearing the game apart like a god is rewarding. Like at some point MM3 in my mind was "easy" until I replayed it years later. Turns out no I played it many many times and would have been a speedrunner now a days but the reality is that game is freaken hard and punishing.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The trick to getting through a mega man well even if you're not a great player is to find the level that gels with you best, manage to beat the boss, and then learn to use that weapon you get, and beat the boss that is weak to that weapon next for an easier win. Also, buy upgrades in the shop in Mega Man 11! Even if you're getting game overs you keep your bolts and some of the upgrades are really useful, like the one that lets you move at full speed while the speed gear is on.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/SplatoonNews/status/1047427205133950977?s=20

I really hope this means Nintendo is transitioning from “two years of updates and that’s it” to a more live service game with Splatoon 2. It’s already better then 99% of others out there thanks to no predatory micro transactions and if they support further development by releasing DLC like the Octo expansion I’m down as all hell

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Buy a bunch of e-tanks, extra lives and Beat rescues if you're falling into a lot of pits.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonNews/status/1047427205133950977?s=20

I really hope this means Nintendo is transitioning from “two years of updates and that’s it” to a more live service game with Splatoon 2. It’s already better then 99% of others out there thanks to no predatory micro transactions and if they support further development by releasing DLC like the Octo expansion I’m down as all hell

Splatoon 2, More Than A Year After Release, Was Japan's Best-Selling Game In August

I mean...one would hope given the feedback they are getting. This poo poo is bananas

edit: oh and it has the highest attachment rate on the Switch in Japan. Not excluding mario or zelda, straight up #1.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

If you've never played games like Mega Man or Contra where you have to memorize patterns perfectly it puts you at a big disadvantage. Many players have been playing these games for literally decades, starting when we were kids and the game you got for your birthday was all you had until Christmas so you played the poo poo out of it no matter how unfair it was. You might enjoy something from the easier Mega Max X series if the mainline games are not to taste.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah Mega man has always been about rote memorization. You cant expect to half rear end it or just run past enemies without getting overwhelmed. Instead of trying to kill enemies quickly, try surviving in difficult spots for as long as possible without firing any shots. That's how child me got good at Mega man 6. That and grinding for E tanks on Flame Man's stage.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nep-Nep posted:

The trick to getting through a mega man well even if you're not a great player is to find the level that gels with you best, manage to beat the boss, and then learn to use that weapon you get, and beat the boss that is weak to that weapon next for an easier win. Also, buy upgrades in the shop in Mega Man 11! Even if you're getting game overs you keep your bolts and some of the upgrades are really useful, like the one that lets you move at full speed while the speed gear is on.

Imma just stop you right here and say in my defense I beat Explosive Man (Blastman?) and am now doing BlockMan but NOT in my defense I overlooked that there’s even a store and wondered what all the rando rear end collectibles even were!!

Thanks!!!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Block Man's weapon is very useful with the power gear, as is Fuse Man's.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I've been playing Arena of Valor and I think the power curve is perfect. In DOTA or LoL a couple of bad team fights can snowball the match to the point where your team starts screaming at each other and then someone throws just to piss off the person antagonizing them and you're stuck in a match you can't win for half an hour. Heroes of the Storm has the opposite problem. You can win nearly every encounter and you still feel like your characters are barely any stronger then the enemy team's.

AoV has a good balance. You can still recover from a few bad fuckups if you co-ordinate and play carefully but you can also carry and show off. The match length is also perfect at about 15 minutes. It's a surprisingly fun game and the controls feel really good, something which is important to me as my wrists become increasingly less tolerant of RTS and MOBAs. :corsair:

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I want to organize a family group with some friends and coworkers for online stuff. How flexible are the groups? If we decide to make a group with different people next year, will there be any issues with the current group, or issues for people who left to join new groups?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tenik posted:

I want to organize a family group with some friends and coworkers for online stuff. How flexible are the groups? If we decide to make a group with different people next year, will there be any issues with the current group, or issues for people who left to join new groups?
Probably. Maybe just spend the extra $12 a year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Probably. Maybe just spend the extra $12 a year.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Tenik posted:

You should probably be able to just turn off auto-renewal so everyone's account will lapse and then people could leave as they please.

I think as long as you're a general member of the group you shouldn't have problems if you want to leave.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Looper posted:

if something isn't for sale, who are you stealing from

One day someone is going to use this defense unironically for games that leak early.

Maybe not for Mario Party, but for some game.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

b_d posted:

i’ve been playing mm11 with an sf30 pro just fine

Firmware update seemed to do it. Jumping now happens when I hit the button, instead of some time after I release it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One day someone is going to use this defense unironically for games that leak early.

This is why there's no online for it.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

this looks like it might be cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLns0eV_EtU

Really wish Namco would announce Ridge Racer or something already

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

.TakaM posted:

this looks like it might be cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLns0eV_EtU

Really wish Namco would announce Ridge Racer or something already

Looks like a less colorful speed racer, I'll take it.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thanks for all the Dark Souks talk. You talked me into it! Also I am hella pumped about hand held Diablo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks for all the Dark Souks talk. You talked me into it!

Post about the game when you start playing. It’s always fun to read new player reactions.:)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I've been playing Arena of Valor and I think the power curve is perfect. In DOTA or LoL a couple of bad team fights can snowball the match to the point where your team starts screaming at each other and then someone throws just to piss off the person antagonizing them and you're stuck in a match you can't win for half an hour. Heroes of the Storm has the opposite problem. You can win nearly every encounter and you still feel like your characters are barely any stronger then the enemy team's.

AoV has a good balance. You can still recover from a few bad fuckups if you co-ordinate and play carefully but you can also carry and show off. The match length is also perfect at about 15 minutes. It's a surprisingly fun game and the controls feel really good, something which is important to me as my wrists become increasingly less tolerant of RTS and MOBAs. :corsair:

Yeah, I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Granted I've done all botmatches except for one, (where I was worried about it would go but ended 13/0/5, MVP and finished the match in under nine minutes) because I'm on mobile internet for a time here and it either won't let me queue or warns me that botmatches might be better because of ping quality I guess, but it's fun! Though wow, the other version has a lot more characters, even without the DC ones.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I picked up DBFZ today. It looks so cool and makes even my terrible attempts at combos look badass.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Nep-Nep posted:

It's a shame that Mario Party doesn't feature playing the full boards online with friends because that would get me to buy the game. Update the game with this change some time Nintendo!

Wtf? Nintendos netcode is finally good and there's still no drat online Mario Party?!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you want to play mario party online?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
my buddies moved to the suburbs

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1047713284852305920

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bowmore posted:

Why would you want to play mario party online?

I have like one friend in this hemisphere

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I don't have a Japanese wall street journal subscription, so I can't read the whole article. Is this like a revision or just like an animal crossing themed Switch or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1047715113640189952

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

quote:

"WHAT," one user on a Discord channel said of the leak. "This is c r a z y."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it is demonstrably better than the original Switch, then that's one way to get people off those piracy ready release switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh sorry, I meant homebrew linux.