Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
We Bare Bears also has a halloween special out and one of the bits has special guest star Alex Hirsch playing an obvious homage to himself. It's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xelkelvos posted:

Craig is basically the brains of their whole operation and it's a little different when it's the smart person being in the lead rather than as a secondary main character since it can't lean on the main character being dumb and running headlong into a situation and causing a problem or finding one that needs to be solved.

Edit: Actually, there are a few plots that comes about by Craig being dumb, but in more naieve sort of dumb rather than a idiot kind of dumb. Craig is a very pure and smart boy.

I feel there's some discussion to be hard on formulas in how the main character fits into the show. There's a few I can think of with 'main character is the smart one', which usually tempers it with naivety, or sometimes hubris. (and sometimes both) 'Main character is the dumb one' is of course a tried and true and sometimes tired formula, while 'main character is the weird one' is a little different and can be great or grating. On that note, there's also 'Main character is the nice one', best way I can describe Steven Universe in this paradigm.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I love Craig of the Creek for the guest stars they had playing the two witches. That was loving awesome.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel weird about hilda. Stuff like the rat king and the giant are just above and beyond anything on any other show for character design, but there is something about the show that feels really PBS kids.

I think the last few years every single kids show that was really good was really good because it was good for adults. Like adventure time, gravity falls, steven universe, regular show, avatar were all good because they were good for any audience with kids and adults both being the target in some way, or the audience just being "people that like good shows". And this feels like a show that is good, but for kids. Like nothing about it feels BAD for adults to watch, and I can appreciate how great it as at the creature concepts but it just feels like a show about 10 year olds for 10 year olds that isn't for me the way like duck tales is written that anyone that likes good shows should be watching it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sometimes cartoons are just for kids to enjoy.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel weird about hilda. Stuff like the rat king and the giant are just above and beyond anything on any other show for character design, but there is something about the show that feels really PBS kids.

I think the last few years every single kids show that was really good was really good because it was good for adults. Like adventure time, gravity falls, steven universe, regular show, avatar were all good because they were good for any audience with kids and adults both being the target in some way, or the audience just being "people that like good shows". And this feels like a show that is good, but for kids. Like nothing about it feels BAD for adults to watch, and I can appreciate how great it as at the creature concepts but it just feels like a show about 10 year olds for 10 year olds that isn't for me the way like duck tales is written that anyone that likes good shows should be watching it.

Your point of the show being geared more towards kids than adults is not wrong, but it does remind me of why I was a little annoyed at people trying to sell it as "the next Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, etc." because it's really not trying to be. Hilda, both the tv series and the comics it's based on, is definitely geared more toward the younger crowd than those two shows. I think it is made in a way that anyone can watch it, but not in the same way those other shows. It's definitely more like nostalgia for childhood, very imaginative and such. It doesn't really tell adult jokes like some of the shows you mentioned (unless you consider Alfur's love of bureaucracy and contracts adult). And I actually do think it touches on some topics in interesting ways, like Hilda and her mother's dealings with the elf civilization in the first two episodes. I think the gist of what I'm trying to say here is, coming into Hilda for Gravity Falls and other's style of humor and storytelling will leave you disappointed, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TV Zombie posted:

Sometimes cartoons are just for kids to enjoy.

Yeah, absolutely, nothing wrong with that, hilda seems more tilted towards that. It's just a rarity these days, with about the last decade going really heavy in all the top kids shows aiming to be very all ages. Like most shows decided the best way to make a kids show is make a show anyone would like and that would include kids by default. It's been a while since it seems like there has been a show like this where it both seems quite good and also seems like it's not for me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most of PBS' kid shows are for kids and only kids. WordGirl can be kinda amusing, and Cyberchase is fun because of Christopher Lloyd and Gilbert Gottfried, but then there's Super Why!, Curious George, Pinkalicious etc.

In other news, my three-year-old daughter has completely lost interest in any Cartoon Network shows (she was obsessed with TTG, Craig of the Creek, and Steven Universe until a couple months ago) and almost exclusively watches PBS Kids shows now. Probably a good thing, as Super Why has done a really good job teaching her how to recognize letters she sees.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I’m up to episode 7 of Hilda and my previous statements still apply. It’s not awful but it’s also not terribly ambitious or challenging. The show seems content to deal with very out of the box subject matter like “moving is hard” and “making friends is good, but not all people make good friends” and doesn’t really bring anything unique or interesting to any of it asside from some neat creatures here and there.

Also the characters are a bit on the flat side with few real flaws or issues so I don’t completely buy them as people. I think that might be why people are saying this show feals like something you’d see on PBS since those shows are tend to ignore plot, themes, and characterization in favor of teaching very simple lessons. It’s not a bad thing necessarily, but the approach doesn’t leave much for older viewers to sink their teeth into.

The animation is nice though, and all the English accents make everyone sound classy AF. 2.5/4 stars so far.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
New She-Ra trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsGMkAWB6lY

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yup, I'm in.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Hilda is ridiculously cute and charming. Hope it gets another season.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That She-Ra trailer looks super dope.

Hilda is super adorable.

Western animation is in a pretty good spot.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I really liked Hilda. It's certainly aimed at a 4-12 audience, but it's cute to watch as a family. I like the fact they include the mother and she's an actual character.

Still, the art direction & palette choices are wonderful. There were some really great moments and it send a great message to kids.

The only thing I didn't like was the Wood Man. He's a jerk.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hilda is worth it for the color treatments alone. It won't make you think very hard, but it's still a good watch.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In that trailer, does it follow She-Ra's history in that she was originally trained as a bad guy? It doesn't have to follow the original, but I am just curious if this is a different take on the character.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TV Zombie posted:

In that trailer, does it follow She-Ra's history in that she was originally trained as a bad guy? It doesn't have to follow the original, but I am just curious if this is a different take on the character.

From the looks of it, yes, that seems to be the central conflict of her character. Coming to terms with the fact that she's been sheltered from the evil her forces have been doing and struggling with her old friends not supporting her.

I'll definitely give it a watch, because it has an interesting setup, but I have to admit, the animation in that trailer didn't really impress me. The action shots in particular looked kinda slow and stiff.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Yeah. Though she switched sides originally when she ran into He-Man, when he came over to her world chasing Hordak, who was I guess Skeletor's boss at some point? They realized they were twins after that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
remember when the creator of Hilda worked on a few Adventure Time eps?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Yeah, it was always that way. The original show didn't pay much attention to it, though - it was only really a thing in the TV movie debut, and featured in approximately zero episodes after that. More backstory than you could fit into the opening theme music wasn't really compatible with the 80s cartoon model. It certainly didn't inform She-Ra's character at all - as soon as she switched sides in the origin movie, she was an upstanding and totally non-conflicted superhero who took great pleasure in dunking on the Horde.

Bow lampshading "it's literally called the Evil Horde" in this trailer was a nod to the ludicrous way the old show told that origin story, where that was what the Horde straight up called themselves and Adora, who was always a beacon of radiant moral goodness, thought the Evil Horde were good guys because everyone she ever met lied to her and she was extremely credulous.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So Queen's Battle (The Chloe duology) aired today. I quite enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgOHt2r6Co

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Senerio posted:

So Queen's Battle (The Chloe duology) aired today. I quite enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgOHt2r6Co

I just started watching, but Agreste hasn't even shown up and I loving love him for putting Chloe's mom in teh second row. Hawkmoth Did Nothing Wrong.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gabe is very much the MVP of the two-parter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Wait. So. Plagg loving destroyed atlantis and dinosaurs?? christ

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
He also tipped over the leaning tower

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I thought the Queens two-parter was flat-out the best thing the show has ever done. Character development for multiple people! Story arcs actually moving forward! Revelations! Twists! Tension! Surprises! Plagg!

Shame the random scattergun approach to scheduling meant that Marinette and Plagg's first meeting was a bit spoiled in the previous episode to go live, but it was still a fun scene.

And how many unrequited loves are we up to now? Marinette > Adrien, Adrien > Ladybug, Penny > Jagged, Natalie > Gabriel...

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 6, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked that miraculous episode.

It's great how Hawkmoth went from "I've been grooming that awful woman for years, she was by far the worst I had. I even gave a second row seat. What more could I possibly do? I can't possibly beat them. I guess I'll give up on my dreams and spend some time with the family I still have."
to
"I can't believe Ladybug messed up that much! If she does that once she'll do it again and then everything will work out fine."
So, good job Marinette. She always finds a way to inspire people.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 7, 2018

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
So Rise of the TMNT gave us our first little hint of the Shredder (Possibly? Could be a swerve and it's for something else)

Maybe it's some deal where they have to gather up all the bits of his armour to resurrect him?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
so the Ben 10/TTG/SU/OK KO crossover is over and it's the most fan wanky thing I've seen in forever which means I love it. I mean the entire thing is set in the whole joined CN city featured in bumps from back in the early 2000s. There are references to old ad campaigns. The original Toonami logo is graffiti'd onto a wall. They even have one of the characters from that lovely live-action show where the kid has not-Walt Disney's brain in the background. I don't think it's possible to have a dorkier love letter to a TV channel's entire history.

I'd highly recommend watching it even if you don't enjoy the 4 main shows in it because there is almost guaranteed to be some background detail that will induce nostalgia.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 9, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's even a reference to The Moxy Show, Cartoon Network's little-known first original series, of which most episodes are lost.

https://twitter.com/AwestruckVox/status/1049457631054745600

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

so the Ben 10/TTG/SU/OK KO crossover is over and it's the most fan wanky thing I've seen in forever which means I love it. I mean the entire thing is set in the whole joined CN city featured in bumps from back in the early 2000s. There are references to old ad campaigns. The original Toonami logo is graffiti'd onto a wall. They even have one of the characters from that lovely live-action show where the kid has not-Walt Disney's brain in the background. I don't think it's possible to have a dorkier love letter to a TV channel's entire history.

I'd highly recommend watching it even if you don't enjoy the 4 main shows in it because there is almost guaranteed to be some background detail that will induce nostalgia.

Can confirm. This special was super fun and CN needs to do goofy crossovers way more often.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Craig of the Creek: "Parents cannot be trusted, they ended net neutrality."

:same:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pakled posted:

Wait what.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

An enduring and increasingly strong and relevant theme in cartoons is 'parents usually have no goddamn conception of what is going on even if they notice the symptoms of problems and it's usually pointless to even try and explain it to them unless you know you can really trust them'.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pakled posted:

I haven't seen the episode but that sounds like one of those JP lines that no one acknowledges.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

An enduring and increasingly strong and relevant theme in cartoons is 'parents usually have no goddamn conception of what is going on even if they notice the symptoms of problems and it's usually pointless to even try and explain it to them unless you know you can really trust them'.

This is the inheritance of the 80s, when creation of a consumer class of children required inventing someone to give them solidarity against. The purest form was the Apple Jacks commercial campaign where clueless adults didn’t understand why they didn’t taste like apples.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

business hammocks posted:

This is the inheritance of the 80s, when creation of a consumer class of children required inventing someone to give them solidarity against. The purest form was the Apple Jacks commercial campaign where clueless adults didn’t understand why they didn’t taste like apples.

Honestly even as a kid I found that confusing too

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Look a these dumb adults who, despite their expertise in other fields, are unable to see that kids enjoy the fact that Cinnamon Toast Crunch has sugar and cinnamon on it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just let the loving rabbit have some sugar cereal, goddamn.

Also, reminded of the LCMs ads, which had a... well, very Australian kind of take on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just let the loving rabbit have some sugar cereal, goddamn.

Also, reminded of the LCMs ads, which had a... well, very Australian kind of take on them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!