Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

DLC Inc posted:

it sucks that underneath the aesthetic dogshit, crappy DLC, piss-poor roster and aural awfulness there is a pretty fun game in MVCI.

they deliberately re-designed the way projectiles work to gently caress over morrigan (because stream monsters complained about soul fist) while being a huge buff to anyone with a beam (and gamora) because marvel was blatantly pulling the strings behind the way the game turned out.
they deliberately made it so with very few exceptions every single character does the almost the exact same damage/meter build/positioning because meter build is tied to damage is tied to histun and you can just combo everything into everything with even less rules than MVC3 so stuff like doing different combos to build meter vs do damage, different combos based on your starter, going for corner carry but an otherwise worse combo ect ect is all in the loving trash.
quick switch is dumb as hell and the fact that it's free and extremely safe turns the entire games meta into "who can toss out the best moves to quick switch behind and get free mixups"

also they managed to somehow make a comeback mechanic that's even dumber than xfactor and gave characters like zero and dormammu a shitload of buffs for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

it sucks that underneath the aesthetic dogshit, crappy DLC, piss-poor roster and aural awfulness there is a pretty fun game in MVCI. If they had given it even a little bit of effort and had a better budget the game would have been fine. Replace poo poo like Chris with Leon, Nemesis with Jack Baker, make Nathan Spencer the classic one, etc etc. It's amazing how lazy they were with such a rich and potentially profitable series and were content to let it crater impossibly hard.

I know we'll never get it, but a documentary post-mortem on the development of MVCI would be really cool. Cause like you say it seems like a game that should be an easy win, but was never given the resources it needed.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

LIGHT PUNCH

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FanaticalMilk posted:

I know we'll never get it, but a documentary post-mortem on the development of MVCI would be really cool. Cause like you say it seems like a game that should be an easy win, but was never given the resources it needed.

The documentary on the making of The Phantom Menace is infinitely more interesting than the movie itself and hell, I think the same would be true for Marvel Infinite.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

The documentary on the making of The Phantom Menace is infinitely more interesting than the movie itself and hell, I think the same would be true for Marvel Infinite.

a lot of it would boil down to getting hosed over by Marvel people and internal budgeting I'd expect. It'd be nice to get people like ComboFiend freely saying "gently caress this game" on record too

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Soul Calibur VI test made me start thinking that long combos in the mvc/dbfz variety are actually one of the things that turn me off of a lot of fighting games. I always thought they were fun but in play it often feels like I’m just waiting around while someone taps some buttons. I guess it’s satisfying when it’s you doing it but lol I suck rear end and also the neutral game is the most interesting main mechanic of a fg to me.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hace posted:

why did people stop playing mvc3 anyway

1 2 punch of Mvci and Dragonball

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Soul Calibur VI test made me start thinking that long combos in the mvc/dbfz variety are actually one of the things that turn me off of a lot of fighting games. I always thought they were fun but in play it often feels like I’m just waiting around while someone taps some buttons. I guess it’s satisfying when it’s you doing it but lol I suck rear end and also the neutral game is the most interesting main mechanic of a fg to me.

You should try Unist.?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

FanaticalMilk posted:

It would literally be a documentary about a team of overworked developers given no budget and reusing resources. Wouldn't be that exciting.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

You should play Samurai Shodown. Like Soul Calibur, the fact that it's a weapon-based fighting game makes footsies and neutral really important. I feel like Samurai Shodown is the game that is the best at forcing people to engage with fighting game fundamentals whether they're aware of it or not.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

You should try Unist.?

I knowwwww. PS4 + online play only seems like I would be getting into a smallish playerbase but it might be worth it. I love the supernatural weirdness of it that I’ve caught glimpses of.

FanaticalMilk posted:

You should play Samurai Shodown. Like Soul Calibur, the fact that it's a weapon-based fighting game makes footsies and neutral really important. I feel like Samurai Shodown is the game that is the best at forcing people to engage with fighting game fundamentals whether they're aware of it or not.

Yeah I keep meaning to grab 5S. The focus on fundamentals really appeals to me. I don’t remember if I read it had online play but dicking around with single player is still cool. I hope the new one turns out good!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Fereydun posted:

i miss marvel

RIP the only fighting game I've been somewhat competent at.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kilometers Davis posted:

I knowwwww. PS4 + online play only seems like I would be getting into a smallish playerbase but it might be worth it. I love the supernatural weirdness of it that I’ve caught glimpses of.

I can play with you if you want. I'm also new to UNIST so we can mash buttons together

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

honestly if you enjoy a game just keep playing it and you'll find the high level is p cool because if it wasn't you wouldn't have stuck with it as you'd start getting bored (not just frustrated at something you think you don't like) earlier

dont listen to people, especially goons, they're mostly really bad at fighting games and then pretend to understand what's going on at a high level in every game even though it's basically like a test of how many specific situations you're prepared for which can only come from having played a game enough to get to a high level in like a catch 22 type dealio

like i'll never play mvci or skullgirls to the point where I get what's going on but it doesn't mean the people who do are wrong about it being better than 3s or whatever game i'm into at the time, there's always frustrating and very unintuitive parts of games and even if you played every game to a top level your likes and dislikes are most likely going to be driven by the first game you play so really who gives a fudge

play games you like, get good, enjoy games where you get good back and forth mind game levelling going on, it's by far the funnest part of fgs for me at least

brian fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 3, 2018

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I keep meaning to grab 5S. The focus on fundamentals really appeals to me. I don’t remember if I read it had online play but dicking around with single player is still cool. I hope the new one turns out good!

5S is great but if you're set on playing people online, using Fightcade is probably a better option than getting the PS4 version. Though I know nothing about the PS4 version so maybe it's alright if you have a friend to match up with, I just can't imagine the playerbase is greater than what's on Fightcade.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

You should try Unist.?

UNIST has long combos though. I mean they're not like...marvel long. But they're long and challenging and some characters have super animations and poo poo that just take forever like Byakuya.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

why did people stop playing mvc3 anyway

MVCI and Fighterz came out so everyone who liked that game moved to one of those two games

Fighterz sorta carries the legacy of MVC3, but is infinitely more homogeneous than it. MVCI was basically the deathblow so any hopes of more Marvel games is kinda done. BBTAG is also another game that sorta carries the spirit of Marvel, but in uh... different ways.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

brian posted:

honestly if you enjoy a game just keep playing it and you'll find the high level is p cool because if it wasn't you wouldn't have stuck with it as you'd start getting bored (not just frustrated at something you think you don't like) earlier

dont listen to people, especially goons, they're mostly really bad at fighting games and then pretend to understand what's going on at a high level in every game even though it's basically like a test of how many specific situations you're prepared for which can only come from having played a game enough to get to a high level in like a catch 22 type dealio

like i'll never play mvci or skullgirls to the point where I get what's going on but it doesn't mean the people who do are wrong about it being better than 3s or whatever game i'm into at the time, there's always frustrating and very unintuitive parts of games and even if you played every game to a top level your likes and dislikes are most likely going to be driven by the first game you play so really who gives a fudge

play games you like, get good, enjoy games where you get good back and forth mind game levelling going on, it's by far the funnest part of fgs for me at least

this is the true wisdom but also all the games i hate suck and marvel 3 is the best

insert zero doing lightning here

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
It sucks in fighting games when you really really want to main a character for thematic/aesthetic reasons but you just can't make it work. I'll have to live my King dreams vicariously through Lil Majin from now on.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Fereydun posted:

this is the true wisdom but also all the games i hate suck and marvel 3 is the best

insert zero doing lightning here

you're not wrong about games with 3 in the title being the best, generally the more 3s per title the better game it is

also one of the best things you can do in fgs is learn a character you're continually stumped by, really helps you think about things differently and where you can gain edge mr Graphic

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

The Dave posted:

It would literally be a documentary about a team of overworked developers given no budget and reusing resources. Wouldn't be that exciting.

they could at least answer questions like why they made a game with a focus on 2v2 tag teams with lots of reused assets from the last game and then put dante in the game but not vergil

or if it was always the plan for marvel to have one extra character than capcom sticking to throw off the symmetry of the character select screen

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Now that the Marvel series has died, I want Disney to throw some disney money at a 1v1 MCU fighting game. Story mode would be easy as poo poo, just follow the movies. If Injustice can ship as many units as it does, I'm sure the Marvel/Disney juggernaut can make something better.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dracula Factory posted:

Now that the Marvel series has died, I want Disney to throw some disney money at a 1v1 MCU fighting game. Story mode would be easy as poo poo, just follow the movies. If Injustice can ship as many units as it does, I'm sure the Marvel/Disney juggernaut can make something better.

I don't know, some random studio doing a fighting game doesn't inspire confidence

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dracula Factory posted:

They did make something better, it still sold less than Injustice or MK9 did. Unless Marvel gets an NRS fighter they are not pushing more copies on a fighting game than Injustice.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

the only marvel fighting game that matters to them right now is contest of champions

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zand is one of the best and most knowledgeable posters in this thread, I just think he's making a lazy argument in this particular case

like I am genuinely interested in hearing him poo poo on a game I like as long as it's on a level that isn't "it's bad because it's Skullgirls"

That's my point though. I get that he has got thread cred but that post is pretty worthless because it classifies something subjective as objective, which is totally useless for discussion. The reason I posted at all is because he did the same poo poo to me and it's just a lame way of interacting. If he has good insight, which I can definitely believe, then he should post that instead!

No Wave posted:

your first post in this thread is five days ago. The gently caress?

Which has exactly what to do with my point that objective reality /= subjective reality? Like I understand he has a reputation within this thread due to having insightful opinions about fighting games in the past but that doesn't mean that what he said there isn't bullshit. My first interaction with him started fine but ended with him going "you're wrong, I will not elaborate, and therefore this confirms my initial extreme opinion, I knew it all along". It's his prerogative to do that, but it's a pretty lame way to post, in my opinion.

Captain Baal posted:

They did make something better, it still sold less than Injustice or MK9 did. Unless Marvel gets an NRS fighter they are not pushing more copies on a fighting game than Injustice.

I've never quite understood the appeal of NRS games. I get the MK nostalgia angle but does that explain all of it? I bounce right off them due to the animations and "feel" of the games so I don't really understand if they have really compelling mechanics or what. Why are they so popular?

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 4, 2018

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Kurtofan posted:

I don't know, some random studio doing a fighting game doesn't inspire confidence

the Yatagarasu team is on standby and ready to serve

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
They do 2d pixely stuff though? Can't see Marvel going for that, ever.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Chev posted:

They do 2d pixely stuff though? Can't see Marvel going for that, ever.

yeah it was a joke, because there really isn't anyone who could make it for them unless they want to go to Capcom again. I doubt Namco would want to make something to directly compete with DBFZ when Marvel would be taking a significant share of the profits most likely

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Graphic posted:

yeah it was a joke, because there really isn't anyone who could make it for them unless they want to go to Capcom again. I doubt Namco would want to make something to directly compete with DBFZ when Marvel would be taking a significant share of the profits most likely

Squeenix could do it! They've already collaborated with Disney (Kingdom Hearts), who owns Marvel of course, and they've made some of my all-time favorite fighting games like Tobal No.1 (developed by DreamFactory) and Bushido Blade (developed by Lightweight).

Imagine if they used the FFXV engine and their top-notch artists, to make an MCU party fighting game like Power Stone (call it Infinity Stone, duh)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Combofiend works at Marvel now so it'll never ever happen.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Squeenix could do it! They've already collaborated with Disney (Kingdom Hearts), who owns Marvel of course, and they've made some of my all-time favorite fighting games like Tobal No.1 (developed by DreamFactory) and Bushido Blade (developed by Lightweight).

Imagine if they used the FFXV engine and their top-notch artists, to make an MCU party fighting game like Power Stone (call it Infinity Stone, duh)

I get a feeling they're a little busy pushing Dissidia

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Victory Position posted:

I get a feeling they're a little busy pushing Dissidia

That and the Million Arthur fighter, I guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Graphic posted:

the Yatagarasu team is on standby and ready to serve

Serve me a finished game hopefully, after absconding with Kickstarter millions.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Captain Baal posted:

MVCI and Fighterz came out so everyone who liked that game moved to one of those two games

Eh, UMvC3 basically had a dramatic dropoff about a year before either of those games were announced.
It still got decent numbers, but was no longer a "main game" and a lot of top players like Justin Wong and PR Rog (who always hated the game to begin with) dropped out b/c they didn't have the time to keep up and the $$$ was no longer there as an incentive.

By the end basically every team out there had to have at least 2 or more of the following to stay competitive:

--Zero on point (lightning loops) with Dante Jam Session as a peripheral
--Rushdown character (Mags, Nova) with Doom beam assist
--Morrigan (or some other runaway zoner) with Doom missile assist
--Dark Phoenix
--Dark Vergil
--Some specific set-up to do the TAC glitch

Again, this is the basic stuff just to be COMPETITIVE in UMvC3, not actually GOOD.
Aside from random cheap setups involving stuff like Firebrand/Skrull Unblockable ToD or IHeartJustice who played like a madman for years to make his random Mid-tier team playable.
UMvC3 was really fresh and a hell of a lot of fun to watch for a good 3-4 years before everything was broken down to those essential parts listed above, but once it did, it died fast.
I miss watching UMvC3 until I actually watch newer tournaments and remember seeing Top 8s with like 7 Dooms, 6 Vergils, 4 Zeros, and a couple of Morr/Doom or Dark Phoenixs to remember why the game is dead.

Still FAR more interesting than any DBFZ, Skullgirls, or MvCI Top 8s you'll ever watch, though.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 4, 2018

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Serve me a finished game hopefully, after absconding with Kickstarter millions.

I think the Yatagarasu guys are actually working on an update for the arcade version. Of course no talk about bringing this to the PC version or the other stuff they never followed through on.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Re: Marvel 3, vanilla 3 was my favorite fighting game in the past decade or so because I love both Phoenix and Viscant in their respective spaces

Ultimate sucked because I didn't want to play Vergil, I wanted to keep playing Wolverine/Sentinel/Phoenix

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think the Yatagarasu guys are actually working on an update for the arcade version. Of course no talk about bringing this to the PC version or the other stuff they never followed through on.

like the vita port

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

dragon enthusiast posted:

skullgirls is more enjoyable as a 1v1 game than 3v3 tbh

This, but for literally every tag/team game.

I've just never cared enough to wanna learn all this extra poo poo about tags and assists and strikers and whatever else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

This, but for literally every tag/team game.

I've just never cared enough to wanna learn all this extra poo poo about tags and assists and strikers and whatever else.

1v1 dbfz is actually the worst and most miserable fighting game to ever exist

note:
i play dbfz