Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He should be doing a movie about the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The 501st and other Boba diehards hate this if you bring it up. I made that mistake at Celebration.

I think it was another member of the 501st who told me, but yes there are diehards who are crazy for a character that amounted to very little in the films.

For them I made this:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rex is ten times the soldier Boba was :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy the story about Randy Stradley (when he was editor of the Star Wars books for Dark Horse) getting really tired of fans on the Internet demanding more Mandalorians so he eventually wrote one where the Mandalorians appear... in full retreat after losing a battle.

Was Boba Fett a big part of the marketing for ESB or ROTJ? He doesn't amount to much in either but I've heard he was heavily promoted much like Phasma in the new movies. They were both there to look cool and sell toys. :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoy the story about Randy Stradley (when he was editor of the Star Wars books for Dark Horse) getting really tired of fans on the Internet demanding more Mandalorians so he eventually wrote one where the Mandalorians appear... in full retreat after losing a battle.

Was Boba Fett a big part of the marketing for ESB or ROTJ? He doesn't amount to much in either but I've heard he was heavily promoted much like Phasma in the new movies. They were both there to look cool and sell toys. :v:

Boba cultists were fully engaged right from the moment he appeared on the Holiday Special. I didn't understand it at the time, either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh sure, wait until the day I make an OP including the words, "Untitled Jon Favreau Project" to release the title of the drat thing. Anyway, OP updated.

jivjov posted:

I mean...its not like we can't still talk about Legends content....

I know. It was a joke. I just have no intentions of including a section in the OP for the holiday special.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madurai posted:

Boba cultists were fully engaged right from the moment he appeared on the Holiday Special. I didn't understand it at the time, either.

Would Boba Fett's mystique and popularity have survived if this photo had been widely circulated way back when:

:v:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Would Boba Fett's mystique and popularity have survived if this photo had been widely circulated way back when:

LOL, holy poo poo, now I absolutely want a show where this dude is the main character in Mandalorian armor. In fact, lose the helmet entirely, just have him look like that in battle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The Mandalorians are attacking! There are dozens of them! DOZENS!"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bob A. Fett, C.P.A.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Boba Fett was so dangerous even his toy could kill you.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Re: The OP...

thrawn527 posted:

Star Wars: Rebels
Rebels ran for 4 seasons on DisneyXD. It was set during the height of the Empire, at least a decade before the events of A New Hope, and told the story of a small Rebel cell, initially trying to keep the Empire out of their home planet, before being pulled into the larger galactic conflict. The general consensus seems to be that the animation and story started a bit rough, but didn't take long to get better.

Rebels started at most four to five years before A New Hope.

Otherwise, great OP! :golfclap:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jng2058 posted:

Re: The OP...

Rebels started at most four to five years before A New Hope.

Otherwise, great OP! :golfclap:

Oh, I thought earlier, because I just assumed that was little kid Luke running in the far away shot with Old Ben looking down at him, not young teen Luke. Thanks! OP updated.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 4, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Been rewatching a few old Clone Wars episodes and while there's a few rough patches, it's a lot better than I remember it being

The Season 2 episode "Landing at Point Rain" is basically "Remember the Battle of Geonosis? Remember all those CG clones fighting in a dustcloud? Well, let's actually show the brutal slog ground forces have to endure just to take a single factory"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was Boba Fett a big part of the marketing for ESB or ROTJ?

Sort of. He was the lone bright spot in the ‘78 Holiday Special, and his Kenner action figure was a mail-away special before ESB came out. IIRC that figure was also the first concrete piece of ESB info revealed. He was mentioned fairly often in Bantha Tracks before ESB’s release as well.

I think his popularity has to stem from:
a) Adults who grew up in that initial wave of fans and Boba was the first bit of sequel news
b) The look of his armor
c) Being heavily promoted in the 90’s with Shadows of the Empire, the Bounty Hunter War novels, and his appearances in the Special Editions

He is, admittedly, a cool design.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I know about the subsequent stuff. I liked the John Wagner comics a lot. It's what his profile was like before any of that existed that makes me curious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Eh, he was initially portrayed as a badass and kids latched onto that, even if he kind of sucked in subsequent films.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of amusing that one of the more unpopular changes to the special edition version of ROTJ (even with the actor who played him) was Fett flirting with Jabba's dancers.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, I thought earlier, because I just assumed that was little kid Luke running in the far away shot with Old Ben looking down at him, not young teen Luke. Thanks! OP updated.
The animation did make Luke look pretty young, and I think it tripped a lot of other people up, too. But he and Leia are just a day or two younger than Ezra!

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Confirmed: It's a Mandolorian.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-revealed

quote:

Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

EDIT:

I really really want the thing on his back to be the electric prod thing Boba has in the Holiday Special.

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 5, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DancinBrud posted:

The animation did make Luke look pretty young, and I think it tripped a lot of other people up, too. But he and Leia are just a day or two younger than Ezra!

Fun fact, the model for Luke was just the season 1 model for Ezra

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tomtrek posted:

I really really want the thing on his back to be the electric prod thing Boba has in the Holiday Special.

:same:

I wish the armor had a little more color, but this fits the western vibe they’re going for.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

The Sabine dream is dead, LONG LIVE THE EZRA DREAM!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The current rumor gaining steam is that Pedro Pascal is playing the titular mando

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Im not sure which name is more surprising to me. Taika or Bryce Dallas Howard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That is one stacked lineup of directors. My interest just went up 1000%.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I noticed that they don't gender the character in the summary and the armor is bulky enough that it could be a woman. If they pull a Samus it will be something to see everyone praising the show because they assume the lead is male now try to walk that back.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The image looks great and that's an awesome line up of talent behind the cameras. Now hopefully we'll get official casting news in the coming days too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It would be pretty cool if they revealed at the end of the first episode that it was a woman.

Pascal can be her dopey sidekick.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

That armor looks fantastic, and I'm really interested to see what the actual concept is. Because even as someone who loves Mandalorians, if they just play it completely straight or basically just make him Jango/Boba Fett bounty hunter clone, I feel like that'd be a bit disappointing.

(unless they Samus it, in which case, I am completely 100% on-board. :allears:)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Bryce Dallas Howard but no Ron Howard? Maybe he'll be an assistant director on her episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

Bryce Dallas Howard but no Ron Howard? Maybe he'll be an assistant director on her episodes.

He'll be coming aboard once she's sacked after 90% of her episode is done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone think Bryce Dallas Howard is a weird choice, given her CV? I'd have expected someone more like Michelle MacLaren or Lesli Linka Glatter.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think the bigger news is Dave Filoni directing the pilot/first episode. His first live action directing gig, after doing a few more episodes of futures seasons/shows he could direct a starwars movie in a few years time.

Now Howard just needs to get his other daughter a job in starwars, Rebel Alley.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

I think the bigger news is Dave Filoni directing the pilot/first episode. His first live action directing gig, after doing a few more episodes of futures seasons/shows he could direct a starwars movie in a few years time.

Hahaha. Oh, dear. There won't be any Star Wars movies in a few years time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hahaha. Oh, dear. There won't be any Star Wars movies in a few years time.

There's a bunch of movies in the pipeline; Rian Johnson's trilogy, the unspecified series from the Game of Thrones guys, etc. I doubt they're gonna dump all those into theaters in the next year given the whole "hey we're slowing down the release schedule" thing.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
hey OP you forgot to add the 2003 Tartakovsky Clone Wars you loving mong (aka the only animated SW worth watching).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

There's a bunch of movies in the pipeline; Rian Johnson's trilogy, the unspecified series from the Game of Thrones guys, etc. I doubt they're gonna dump all those into theaters in the next year given the whole "hey we're slowing down the release schedule" thing.

Well, you know my opinion already.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tomtrek posted:

Confirmed: It's a Mandolorian.

quote:

Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

gently caress. Yes.

Grandma Panic! posted:

hey OP you forgot to add the 2003 Tartakovsky Clone Wars you loving mong (aka the only animated SW worth watching).

Was that ever actually on TV? I thought they were just straight to DVD release movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Was that ever actually on TV? I thought they were just straight to DVD release movies.

Yep, the first 20 micro-episodes aired as little things in between other shows, and the last 5 full length episodes had a regular time slot (well, as regular as you can be with only 5 episodes)