Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How could a child possibly break a piece of glass that was manufactured by a gorilla, the strongest and toughest beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

None of us knows how this will work but considering even a minor refresh was seen as “stupid and unlikely” I’m feeling pretty smart right about now. And knowing Nintendo I wouldn’t expect a cheaper version of an updated model but it could happen.

Who thought this thing wasn't going to start getting hardware revisions a after a couple of years on the market like literally every other Nintendo handheld?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Al Borland Corpse posted:

How could a child possibly break a piece of glass that was manufactured by a gorilla, the strongest and toughest beast.

I want an answer to this. Gorillas are so strong, as is their glass.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TheScott2K posted:

Who thought this thing wasn't going to start getting hardware revisions a after a couple of years on the market like literally every other Nintendo handheld?

Have you been reading the thread?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Have you been reading the thread?

Yeah. Have you been taking your meds?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheScott2K posted:

I think he's confusing revisions with people mocking those who say there'll be a handheld or console only switch that'll be as strong as the ps4 pro and run 8 hours and be XL and need new joycons or whatever mix of those crazy things some nerds want.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think he's confusing revisions with people mocking those who say there'll be a handheld or console only switch that'll be as strong as the ps4 pro and run 8 hours and be XL and need new joycons or whatever mix of those crazy things some nerds want.

Yeah that seems like it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah. Have you been taking your meds?

Why do you feel this is an appropriate post when we’re having a stupid and casual discussion of Nintendo products?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

I’m feeling pretty smart right about now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheScott2K posted:

Ok I called the manufacturer. Some of their glass is made by Funky Kong and sometimes he's high as gently caress

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Once the ultimate exploit went public it was only a matter of time until a revision went into production.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ok I called the manufacturer. Some of their glass is made by Funky Kong and sometimes he's high as gently caress

New Funky Mode

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'd buy a new Switch revision that was either significantly smaller or significantly larger. Right now it's in the perfect middle ground that makes me not give a poo poo about ever using it undocked.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Healbot posted:

Once the ultimate exploit went public it was only a matter of time until a revision went into production.

Basically. Buy back up launch switches now, folks, so that you can enjoy the PSP2

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Basically. Buy back up launch switches now, folks, so that you can enjoy the PSP2

If you want an almost literal PSP2, get a cheap Vita somewhere and homebrew that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Andrast posted:

If you want an almost literal PSP2, get a cheap Vita somewhere and homebrew that

This. Vita Means Life

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats a good idea except there are no good games on the vita

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This. Vita Means Life

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/281205268350660609

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

From a pure functionality perspective, Vita is missing buttons and has expensive memory.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A homebrewed Vita has access to all PSP and PS1 games :colbert:

(and obviously the basic SNES, GBA, etc. emulation stuff too)

Barudak posted:

From a pure functionality perspective, Vita is missing buttons and has expensive memory.

There’s an adapter for homebrewed Vitas to use SD cards!

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 4, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As far as I know switches being manufactured in and in the wild now already have fixed the exploit by attaching some limiter chip which burns itself out after one flash or something and then makes access to diagnostic mode impossible. I thought I read that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

There’s an adapter for homebrewed Vitas to use SD cards!

Still missing 2 shoulder buttons unless theres some insane hack Im missing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wrong

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Still missing 2 shoulder buttons unless theres some insane hack Im missing

Yeah that part is a bit poo poo. You can map the back touch screen to work as shoulder buttons but that is obviously pretty garbage unless you only need to press them very rarely.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hotline Miami and Spelunky, both of which should be on Switch.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't see a revision to the Switch hardware being anymore than a better screen, better battery life, and maybe bigger internal storage.

There are too many accessories that fit the exact size of the switch, including the Dock that they sell separately and Labo that is built for the exact screen size.

Couldn't you imagine the confusing with two sets of accessories for the different styles of the Switch?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Who the gently caress is trying to tear down the gorilla glass industry?? Show yourself coward

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I finally got my copy of Night Trap!

Why must you make Howard Phillips cry

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Who the gently caress is trying to tear down the gorilla glass industry?? Show yourself coward

I'm just against using nuclear weapons on deserts to create mineable glass. I don't care if they are uninhabited and I don't care if they train a gorilla to pull the lever. The long term environmental costs are too high

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Macaluso posted:

Threadripper

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

As far as I know switches being manufactured in and in the wild now already have fixed the exploit by attaching some limiter chip which burns itself out after one flash or something and then makes access to diagnostic mode impossible. I thought I read that.

I don't fully know what this means, but goddamn does it sound cool. Nintendo added limiters to the switch, limiters meant to be destroyed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheScott2K posted:

This kong's so strong it isn't funny.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
There's no reason Nintendo wouldn't have joy cons that are only compatible on the new switch. I'm not saying that's what's happening at all, but you must be fairly new to the company if you can't see them pulling that caper off

My money is on simply better battery and a marginally thinner profile though. Yes I'll buy it on launch, leave me alone

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The switch is literally top of the line portable tech, as in, no one else besides nvidia is doing that type of chipset, and even the "revised" x2 that the switch is from isn't for consumers, so don't expect much from this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the possibility that this isn't a PS4 Pro or even a DS Lite situation and more of GameCube DOL-101 situation where it's the same system, but with just minute hardware changes.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/megamanworld/gcmodelcomparison.html

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, I remember bringing up the X2 when discussion of a possible New Switch came up ages ago. I read into is a bit since then, and it turns out X2 has far too much power draw for a portable. They aren't designed to run off a battery, they're supposed to run on a continuous power supply, like in a car.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Switch successor will be an Amazon tablet with Super Mario Run preinstalled.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
God damnit, I've been so excited about the prospect of getting a Switch for the holidays this year (my fiancee has asked me to not buy it myself yet so we can "pay off the wedding first" or whatever. I know, I know, I should leave her), and now I'm not sure if I should just wait for the revision.

Thread, should I still pull the trigger on the Switch v1 and just upgrade later, potentially?

I know this is God's Perfect Console, so I literally just need one person to tell me to get the Switch as soon as possible and I totally will.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Considering we don't even know what the revision will entail at this point, much less a release date, just get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I mean, it's a fun toy.