Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Hell, maybe the aliens are actually really easily murdered, and only this family has difficulty with them (read: only this family is unable to process the grief of their dead kid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

like a cigarette should posted:

Honestly they should have forgotten about the whole tired, contrived 'ill-timed baby delivery' plotline, and just made it about the world's MOST TENSE corn harvesting session ever.

It should have been 90 minutes of trying to hold in the world's biggest fart

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

At first, I thought they were all miserable because they knew they had to kill the baby, and they were only soundproofing the room just to help when it cried over being born tbh

I was honestly disappointed when that wasn't the actual plan. It cast this super dark shadow across the whole first half that I really loved and kinda sucked the tension out when it was clear they were keeping it.

e: like i thought oh no they didn't realize she was pregnant til the baby was too big to try and abort w/o complications, they know they have to gas it once it's born and that's why emily blunt is extra sad staring longingly at its crib coffin and mobile

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 19, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I thought the crib was a lil coffin

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I do think there's still a palpable sense of dread, of some ticking clock counting down to the birth of that child, just because the mere fact of it existing is going to put them in a thousand times the danger that they already were in.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For a quiet movie, drat they sure loved their loud AF jump scares. The movie would've been ten times better with silent jump scares - just suddenly a thing is there, no BAM! or WHAM, or WHOMP, or stupid poo poo.

For that, I'm calling this movie A JUMP SCARE PLACE.

Yeah you herd me. Take that, nobody.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I'm dissapointed I didn't like this more :(

I think it was just a touch too dumb.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Drowning In Terror posted:

I'm dissapointed I didn't like this more :(

I think it was just a touch too dumb.

count me in that group of people, I was pretty hyped and while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was all that amazing. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was the water flooding the barn basement. It just felt out of place, and there was so much poo poo in that one scene that I feel like we missed, like how did the lid get off the baby coffin in the first place? How did the sound monster get down there? Some of the criticisms I've seen are stupid though, the monsters clearly aren't disturbed by all sounds or loud sounds, just that her hearing aid thing was causing a feedback loop at whatever volume or frequency it was operating at. Also the notion that you can't give birth extremely quickly is pretty stupid. Our first kid came in less than an hour after my wife's water breaking. In her case she just didn't know she was in labor and thought that her contractions were something else. Also check this out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was a pretty decent movie. I wish it had more sound but I guess that's the gimmick.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Two things that threw my wife and I a little (aside from some of the tactical realism stuff brought up, although honestly I think reducing the timeline to like 150 days would address everything):

How did the lid on the babybox come off? It looked like a sturdy, fitted thing. I half-expected the mom to wake up from a bad dream halfway through. That scene (plus the rate of the water and how it was depicted) felt like too harsh of an edit and confusing on how long she had been out. Like, I get that water can be chaotic, etc, but the lid thing got to us.

Near the beginning Jim tells his daughter that she can't go down into the basement and gives her the new implant, and his way of saying no implied some dark secret or something like he had a crazy shrine to the dead son, or maybe a creature costume that he uses to scare his kids. At the end she goes down and sees the radios/monitors and his pile of implants and seemed to act surprised at the implants. This didn't seem to mesh: she knew about the implants, and presumably her learning as much as possible about the creatures would improve her survival. The scenes felt like they came from a different movie.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zachack posted:

Two things that threw my wife and I a little (aside from some of the tactical realism stuff brought up, although honestly I think reducing the timeline to like 150 days would address everything):

How did the lid on the babybox come off? It looked like a sturdy, fitted thing. I half-expected the mom to wake up from a bad dream halfway through. That scene (plus the rate of the water and how it was depicted) felt like too harsh of an edit and confusing on how long she had been out. Like, I get that water can be chaotic, etc, but the lid thing got to us.

Near the beginning Jim tells his daughter that she can't go down into the basement and gives her the new implant, and his way of saying no implied some dark secret or something like he had a crazy shrine to the dead son, or maybe a creature costume that he uses to scare his kids. At the end she goes down and sees the radios/monitors and his pile of implants and seemed to act surprised at the implants. This didn't seem to mesh: she knew about the implants, and presumably her learning as much as possible about the creatures would improve her survival. The scenes felt like they came from a different movie.

My guess is the dad was trying to keep them away from technology because of the noise. Like trying to condition them to a new, simple life. That or he didn't want to share his secret SNES ROMs. Maybe if he wasn't playing video games in the basement all day, he could have fixed the obvious nail in the stairs.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zachack posted:

At the end she goes down and sees the radios/monitors and his pile of implants and seemed to act surprised at the implants. This didn't seem to mesh: she knew about the implants, and presumably her learning as much as possible about the creatures would improve her survival. The scenes felt like they came from a different movie.

She isn't surprised that the implants exist but rather how many of them there are. The pile proves how much time and effort her father was willing to invest into helping her deal with her condition. Given that she spent months believing he didn't truly care for her and that she lost him just a few minutes earlier, it's easy to understand why she would have a strong reaction upon seeing them.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
Yeah, but why is that secret worthy? Hey kids, this is my workshop full of breakable. irreplaceable things. Don't go in there.
And for some reason I'm ashamed that I'm working so hard to restore my deaf daughter's hearing?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Samuel Clemens posted:

She isn't surprised that the implants exist but rather how many of them there are. The pile proves how much time and effort her father was willing to invest into helping her deal with her condition. Given that she spent months believing he didn't truly care for her and that she lost him just a few minutes earlier, it's easy to understand why she would have a strong reaction upon seeing them.

I could kinda see this but the first conversation indicates that dad has been working on the implants for a while, and that a pile of parts shouldn't be a big surprise.

And the daughter presumably knows about the radio equipment because in the drug store raid at the beginning dad tells her that some of the supplies are to boost the radio strength.

It's just an odd scene. If she had been going up to the dead brother's room I could kinda see the dad getting protective of what's basically a shrine but it doesn't play out that way.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
she doesn’t want the cochlear implants. Big Jim didn’t want her to see that it was basically the only thing he was working on. he might think that it would probably make her feel guilty about him constantly working on it despite her objections. it made sense to me

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Bard Maddox posted:

she doesn’t want the cochlear implants. Big Jim didn’t want her to see that it was basically the only thing he was working on. he might think that it would probably make her feel guilty about him constantly working on it despite her objections. it made sense to me

But it's not the only thing down there and the conversation about the implants happens after he tells her not to go down there. And his "tone" in the conversation comes across as if her reaction to the implant would be a surprise.

If she rejected the implant and then asked to go down there, and Jim said "ehh... No" that would make sense, but it's reversed.

Overall I thought the daughter's arc wasn't that well thought out, or like it came from a different draft. It sorta follows a Rebellious Teen path but seems improperly meshed with survivor guilt. I think if the aliens had posed less of an immediate, severe threat it would have worked better, because in the movie a hearing disability is a death sentence due to how the aliens seem to function, and wandering off alone, even for someone who can hear, is incredibly dangerous.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He doesn’t want her down there because it’s a collection of active electronics and other things. It’s dangerous enough down there for the family if you know what you’re doing and is exponentially more dangerous if you accidentally bump into something that makes noise and don’t realize it because you’re deaf.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He doesn’t want her down there because it’s a collection of active electronics and other things. It’s dangerous enough down there for the family if you know what you’re doing and is exponentially more dangerous if you accidentally bump into something that makes noise and don’t realize it because you’re deaf.

As much as I don't want to do the tactical realism thing, this premise does sort of invite it at every turn. Thinking about how sensitive these things' hearing must be to hear a random noise in a basement, I can't help but picture three of them converging on every nut dropped from a tree.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
He doesn't want her down there because there's a loose nail on the stairs that he keeps meaning to fix.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
He doesn't want her to go down there because she will absolutely ruin her foot on that nail.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The basement also contains information on how hosed everyone is which he may have been trying to hide from his kids.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Should I watch this with or without subtitles?

Apparently my copy of the movie doesn't have subtitles for the sign language built in, but enabling subtitles does translate it. Which one is the way the movie is "meant" to be watched? Am I supposed to know exactly what the signs mean right away or am I supposed to figure it out?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man as fun as it would be to know sign language and see it that way, the movie was shown with subtitles.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man as fun as it would be to know sign language and see it that way, the movie was shown with subtitles.

Thank you!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I just need to make sure im not crazy. When the dad burns the kids stuff, he looks around and sees other fires light up... right? What the gently caress is up with that?

Trump fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 15, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Other people are alive.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Kickass movie. :drat: It's been a while since I saw that good a movie that isn't even an hour and a half long. The only bad thing about it I can think of is the uninspired look of the monsters, basically just Demogorgon + Cloverfield monster. But I'm sure that's been gone over plenty ITT. The superhearing/blindness mechanic was very cool though. The fact that they could rely on light and make their surroundings bright at no expense was a great horror subversion.

Trump posted:

I just need to make sure im not crazy. When the dad burns the kids stuff, he looks around and sees other fires light up... right? What the gently caress is up with that?

He doesn't burn the kid's stuff, he was just looking at it while lighting the fire that lets the neighbors know they're OK.

At first I wondered why they all didn't just live together in a commune, but then I was like oh yeah, construction is fuckin loud. And maybe they don't want to put all their eggs in one basket?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally managed to watch this. Glad I waited until I could watch it somewhere quiet. Good stuff. Took me far too long to realise the daughter was deaf. That scene in the cornfield with the monster getting zapped while she didn't notice was very funny. And also where I realised..

Also gently caress That Nail :gonk: Was hoping one of the monsters would stomp on it too but oh well.

Also I liked that the first Noisy Danger was rattly tablets. I would be dead from those monsters day one. And I'm just noisy in general.

Ending was a bit silly but very satisfying.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The entire movie was a metaphor for wanting to slaughter people who talk at the movies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm really not surprised that a movie whose premise was secondary to an extended exploration of parenthood devolved into a tactical realism argument.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If I recall correctly they don’t even show enough of the signed dialogues for them to be understandable even with sign language fluency. It’s a good thing they don’t show them full on all the time though because it gets awkward when every sign language shot is framed in an, uh, legible way.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I'm really not surprised that a movie whose premise was secondary to an extended exploration of parenthood devolved into a tactical realism argument.

Themes aside, the actual things happening in the movie stressed tactical realism as the movie was also all about tactics on its surface, so it should be no surprise when people question them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Darko posted:

Themes aside, the actual things happening in the movie stressed tactical realism as the movie was also all about tactics on its surface, so it should be no surprise when people question them.
In terms of how to stay alive? Absolutely. But the film gave zero fucks about telling us what was going on out in the rest of the world. We're localized to one rural location.

It's entirely possible the entire rest of the world already figured out the frequency necessary to make the monsters vulnerable and has largely gotten rid of them and we're just seeing the last remnants way out in the sticks, and there's no television, electricity, or radio infrastructure to get the message out to everybody everywhere.

But, ultimately, this doesn't matter in the slightest because the movie isn't about a large swarm of aliens wrecking civilization. It's about one family in one location. This isn't "turn off your brain" filmmaking. It's "stop inventing a whole different movie and critiquing that" filmmaking.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just saw this and man, I don't get the love. The whole movie was just a sequence of questions of "what if something made THIS sound" and the answer is always "then jim halpert gets worried." There's no characters, there's no real story, there's no personal connection...

Like, gimme a poster on a wall showing that Jim was previously a radio technician for DARPA or something - give us anything more than 'this dad tinkers.' Swap the opening scene to be in the town's doctor's office and have the mom sign something like "they used to keep the meds here, someone must have been here already" to show us she was previously a doctor, so that her pregnancy doesn't just feel like they got bored of mouth and hand and butt stuff three months after their kid died. Make the son's illness a repeat thing - give him asthma, throw in some extra poo poo for them to deal with. Don't make the deaf girl's inability to hear become a superpower where she is also unable to make sounds. Give us a loving purpose behind the movie beyond "what if a family existed and there was some bad misophonic aliens too." I don't need to see what's going on in the rest of the world, because survival's much more intimate when it's a small team of people. I just need to know who the people are and what they want outside of 'staying alive' because poo poo yo we all tryin to just not gently caress up enough to make it to the end of the day.

I'm not even going to dive into all the bullshit "if you think about it for a second" problems the movie had, because y i k e s the writers sure fuckin' didn't. My wife found a post on reddit saying this movie was making fun of safe spaces, what with the walking on eggshells/sand, the monsters coming after people who speak up, pregnancy/guns/surveillance/disability being a major theme, and the solution being to "turn their words against them and then grab a gun yippee ki yay" and I could almost see that as being intentional if there was any kind of proof that the team making it knew how to tell a story instead of just a string of events.

It was shot well, Emily Blunt in particular did a fantastic job, the aliens were cool to look at, but this was a fuckin disappointment and a half. It wasn't even that bad - it was just boring.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For me the pregnancy is the "purpose" that you're talking about, it's two people saying gently caress these monsters we're going to raise a family and continue to have hope for the future no matter what(even if they obviously doubt themselves sometimes). That's what the father's basement is all about, he's doing everything to ensure the safety of the farm, but he's also trying everything he can to figure out a long term solution.

I like the fact that the movie doesn't imply they've solved the world's problems, it doesn't show them hooking up with the military and sharing their discovery or anything like that. They're just keeping the family safe and intact, and living life as much as they possibly can, that's their purpose.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

See, if that was their intended purpose, I'd like to have seen more preparation beyond "well We Built A Babybox" - we see Emily Blunt marking off days on the calendar, and they figured out that a mattress can fit over the entrance to the storm cellar, but like... have her mark off the days after double checking some medical supplies, show a little set of stirrups somewhere, give me a reason to think they're planning out her actual birthing procedure. poo poo, I'd have loved it if they'd been running drills on how to get her once her water breaks to a good place for giving birth.

Hell, you've got the waterfall scene - why not have Jim take his son there to say "okay so we need to come here every couple of days and make sure this area is clean because your moms is gonna poo poo out a lil sibling for you right here where you can actually make noise that we don't really go to ever." There's a level of survival horror that could have been reached if they'd been practicing more than just how to change the twinkly farm lights from orange to red that would have felt like 10x more of an 'oh no' scenario when she couldn't give birth in the right place.

It just felt like a huge sequence of missed opportunities.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
But they're already raising a family, shouldn't they concentrate on keeping the two kids they already have alive? Or is this a "quantity has a quality all its own" thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

But they're already raising a family, shouldn't they concentrate on keeping the two kids they already have alive? Or is this a "quantity has a quality all its own" thing?

Those kind of cold analysis is fine when you're sitting on your couch picking apart a movie, but it's not what happens when people are actually in stressful life situations. People gently caress and have kids, it's a core part of our humanity, it's just what happens.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah the pregnancy in and of itself is fine - especially if they're career farmers, which who goddamn knows if they are or if they bought a preexisting farm as a midlife crisis thing or if they escaped to a farm after the events happened or if it's a family farm that they ran back to because who cares who these people are, right? I get it; you're surviving, survival isn't just making it through individual roadblocks but having a long term goal of you and yours continued existence. It's that they never loving acted like they were prepared for the birthing procedure, just for where to stuff the lil thing when it squirts on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
People gently caress, it happens.

edit:

No, I swear, I've seen footage.