Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
One of the arguments is that it will be used as a weapon for "People who think wrong."

The example given was somebody saying "Hey, this contributor is a horrible human and attacks transgenders on twitter." as a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

[img-psyduck-exploding-into-more-psyducks]

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh, now they are arguing that excluding transphobic people is not being tolerant of transphobic people. :allears:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this really is more a dull kind of predictable than it is angering

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ratbert90 posted:

Oh, now they are arguing that excluding transphobic people is not being tolerant of transphobic people. :allears:

I'm glad we've usurped gays as the scary out group of the era. makes us feel sooooo loving special

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

have they brought up Karl Popper yet?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Soricidus posted:

[img-psyduck-exploding-into-more-psyducks]

have u read beep's posts?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

esr and rms (lol) claim that people have the right under the gplv2 to make Linus remove every line of code they added if they get banned for violating the code of conduct because the license was written so that contributors still own the copyright to their code

their new plan is to get as many people as possible to do this so Linus gives up on his sjw cabal

lmao

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sure they can. And Linus & Co can happily take the snapshot just before that and continue to work, that's also a right under the GPLv2. It's not retrospective.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

isn't greg kh the one who became a bitcoin core dev

Luigi Thirty posted:

esr and rms (lol) claim that people have the right under the gplv2 to make Linus remove every line of code they added if they get banned for violating the code of conduct because the license was written so that contributors still own the copyright to their code

their new plan is to get as many people as possible to do this so Linus gives up on his sjw cabal

lmao

lmao that this is what got esr and rms to cooperate

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BobHoward posted:

you're probably thinking of rusty russell or jeff garzik

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's important to spread as much fud as possible. knitting together greg kh and bitcoin is a nice touch

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Luigi Thirty posted:

lmao

code is free as in speech and freely redistributable

unless i get banned for being a shithead

then its all mine and i will aggressively enforce my intellectual property rights

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BobHoward posted:

lmao that this is what got esr and rms to cooperate

it's esr's idea, rms was just like "well I guess the gpl says that but..."

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

lmao

not that I like defending rms, but he's saying the opposite
https://www.itwire.com/open-source/84683-linux-code-contributions-cannot-be-rescinded-stallman.html

quote:

Richard Stallman, the head of the Free Software Foundation and founder of the GNU Project, told iTWire in response to queries that contributors to a GPLv2-covered program could not ask for their code to be removed.

"That's because they are bound by the GPLv2 themselves. I checked this with a lawyer," said Stallman, who started the free software movement in 1984.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

nah youre thinking of greg maxwell, former multimedia engineer

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Greg KH is an extremely nice and good man who put up with Linus bullshit for a long time, privately trying to console people and fix the situation, and has been advocating for change behind the scenes for forever.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Suspicious Dish posted:

Greg KH is an extremely nice and good man who put up with Linus bullshit for a long time, privately trying to console people and fix the situation, and has been advocating for change behind the scenes for forever.

aka a vile usurper and a tool of them

yeah, he said that people could remove poo poo from their code, but they couldn’t force people to remove code from gpl licensed software

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah no talking poo poo about gregkh

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Suspicious Dish posted:

thanks for the correction, that’s important to get right

when i read the usurper thing I got the mistaken impression they were complaining about greg kh backing out a code of conduct thing from a repository or something like that and i was thinking, lol what if this is yet another confirmation of the venn diagram unity between bitcoiners and chud politics

Tankakern posted:

it's important to spread as much fud as possible. knitting together greg kh and bitcoin is a nice touch

lmao if you think my opinions on Linux are motivated by anything other than love/hate: love for what it could be, hate for what it is both technically and socially thanks to the high concentration of people like linus running important projects.

it is great that this whole linux kernel CoC thing happened, but i remain cautious about declaring the jubilee, both because of the pushback getting quoted itt and because torvalds still clearly doesn’t fully Get It. hope the shitstorm doesn’t prolong his already lengthy process of unlearning shitheaded beliefs.

also it is absolutely true that there has been crossover between linux kernel devs and bitcoin devs, I just misremembered which ones. so idk why you think that’s fud. not that he’s likely to read this but apologies to Greg kh for my misunderstanding and misidentification!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
RMS seeks legal advice that serves the purposes of the FSF, e.g. I don't believe he could have won his "subterfuge" claim against NeXT but he was prepared to try it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i am amazed that everything to do with selinux came out so utterly malevolently user-hostile entirely by accident. that takes a special talent for being absolutely loving poo poo at your job

"oh just let the thing you're trying to do fail and then run this automagical tool that creates a 'type enforcement file' that then gets compiled into a 'module' that then gets compiled again into something called 'some loving bullshit that ends with .pp' and then run another tool that presumably loads that into the policy database and stores it gently caress knows where and hey maybe it'll persist after a reboot even who knows. also we have no idea what on earth this 'configuration management' thing you're talking about is and presumably just stand up all our servers by hand like knuckle dragging cavemen"

gently caress offffffffffff

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 5, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Darwin used a Lisp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

Darwin used a Lisp

yeah and it's dead inside

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

BobHoward posted:

it is great that this whole linux kernel CoC thing happened, but i remain cautious about declaring the jubilee, both because of the pushback getting quoted itt and because torvalds still clearly doesn’t fully Get It. hope the shitstorm doesn’t prolong his already lengthy process of unlearning shitheaded beliefs.

most of the "pushback" we are seeing has been driveby commentary from deadshit culture warriors like esr and other random idiots. if there's any real pushback from the kernel community then we'll see it at the maintainers summit in a few weeks (which linus is attending). they still need to work out how the CoC is going to be enforced and what the scope of it should be, but i'd be really surprised if there's any major concessions to the chuds.

it's worth remembering that something like 90% of kernel contributors are paid to do it. being required to maintain a base level of professionalism when interacting with the community really isn't much of an imposition.

Captain Foo posted:

yeah and it's dead inside

and outside

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

travelling wave posted:

most of the "pushback" we are seeing has been driveby commentary from deadshit culture warriors like esr and other random idiots. if there's any real pushback from the kernel community then we'll see it at the maintainers summit in a few weeks (which linus is attending). they still need to work out how the CoC is going to be enforced and what the scope of it should be, but i'd be really surprised if there's any major concessions to the chuds.

it's worth remembering that something like 90% of kernel contributors are paid to do it. being required to maintain a base level of professionalism when interacting with the community really isn't much of an imposition.

it looks like the things being discussed by the actual maintainers are more on the level of "so how should the enforcement part work exactly" with pretty wide agreement with the goal itself

an illustrative example is the first chud comment to this lwn article: 'Is "our community" solely the kernel developer community? Or do the users' concerns have some weight on this matter?'

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

i am amazed that everything to do with selinux came out so utterly malevolently user-hostile entirely by accident. that takes a special talent for being absolutely loving poo poo at your job

"oh just let the thing you're trying to do fail and then run this automagical tool that creates a 'type enforcement file' that then gets compiled into a 'module' that then gets compiled again into something called 'some loving bullshit that ends with .pp' and then run another tool that presumably loads that into the policy database and stores it gently caress knows where and hey maybe it'll persist after a reboot even who knows. also we have no idea what on earth this 'configuration management' thing you're talking about is and presumably just stand up all our servers by hand like knuckle dragging cavemen"

gently caress offffffffffff

Have you considered using OpenBSD, the operating system that is secure by default?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Have you considered using OpenBSD, the operating system that is secure by default?

OpenBSD is actually somewhat more user friendly today, and even has modern desktops like gnome and mate. It does lack some software i'm sure most folks would want, and it doesn't support vms. If you need a nice firewall or whatever it's a fine choice.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

openbsd is a complete shitshow that lacks any MAC framework whatsoever

it's less secure by default than windows for gently caress's sake

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

OpenBSD is actually somewhat more user friendly today, and even has modern desktops like gnome and mate. It does lack some software i'm sure most folks would want, and it doesn't support vms. If you need a nice firewall or whatever it's a fine choice.

openbsd's firewall is single-threaded and they have no security story at all

i'm sure it's "nice" if you don't care about security and you are ok with a firewall that will only handle 100 mbps

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

https://man.openbsd.org/FreeBSD-11.1/mac.4

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

slap

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

that's the freebsd 11.x mac(4) man page you dingus

freebsd and netbsd are considerably more up-to-date than openbsd

quote:

HISTORY

The mac implementation first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0 and was developed by the TrustedBSD Project.

freebsd 5.0 was officially released in 2003

openbsd is literally 15 years behind freebsd on a very basic security feature that proprietary UNIX has had since the early 1990s

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

look who didn't read the article

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's the freebsd 11.x mac(4) man page you dingus

freebsd 5.0 was officially released in 2003

openbsd is literally 15 years behind freebsd on a very basic security feature that proprietary UNIX has had since the early 1990s

if you felt like you needed it you could either run FreeBSD or just port it. OpenBSD decided to stay with discretionary access control for simplicity. it's a fine, well designed os. it's not appropriate for everything but yes it makes a nice firewall. you can run gigabit with it without issue.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

if you felt like you needed it you could either run FreeBSD or just port it.
well yes, if you need security, you could and should run an operating system with security features from the early 1990s, such as freebsd, as opposed to some 1970s bullshit like openbsd

i think that's a very good idea

Broken Machine posted:

OpenBSD decided to stay with discretionary access control for simplicity. it's a fine, well designed os.
that's loving ridiculous

not even the government accepts discretionary access control "for simplicity." it's literally not good enough for government work

Broken Machine posted:

it's not appropriate for everything but yes it makes a nice firewall. you can run gigabit with it without issue.
so you want the edge of your network to be the least secure device, running on a hot, angry single-core x86?

very 1990s

edit: same with "you can run gigabit" lol

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 6, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

openbsd may be a shitshow but holy poo poo is someone defending selinux itt

also lol @ using any kind of on-machine firewall. do a proper security group ffs and if you have to manage physical machines just kill yourself now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and the latest NetBSD will still run on pretty much anything with a 68010 or better CPU, with performance close to BSD on that hardware when released!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

openbsd may be a shitshow but holy poo poo is someone defending selinux itt

also lol @ using any kind of on-machine firewall. do a proper security group ffs and if you have to manage physical machines just kill yourself now

I don’t think nBSD is defending SELinux, but defending MAC in general which is implemented in lots of systems including other BSDs