Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mewse posted:

Linus's new backup solution is super reliable :rolleyes:

His follow up is where he manages to spend a loving insane amount of cash on a Thunderbolt tape drive when a Tandberg SAS autoloader would have been about two grand cheaper.

Edit: Haha he's using LTFS

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

His follow up is where he manages to spend a loving insane amount of cash on a Thunderbolt tape drive when a Tandberg SAS autoloader would have been about two grand cheaper.

I actually tried to contact them because I have experience archiving projects with a visual effects company. Their storage practices are bad and dumb. I tweeted Jake to ask if I could send him an email about their situation but he never replied.

e: I hope they're gonna start archiving stuff to tape and that's what the video is about, I can't watch it until this evening

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Anyone know of a channel that does real world workstation type builds and reviews? I would like to see the practical applications of these specialty graphics cards and one specialty super fast equipment.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

honestly most of the appeal of the channel is watching the guy spend inordinate amounts of money on things then proceeding to comprehensively gently caress them up; with that in mind the videos are way more enjoyable

the actual reviews are pretty execrable tho what with the graphs flashing up for like a second (i know they want you to pause but it just looks weird). also the infomercial style b-roll and the bits where his wife gestures to parts of laptops (which evoke the plane safety videos where the steward shows you how to put on a life jacket imo). don't get me wrong i loving adore cheese but the dissonance when it's clearly being shot with camera equipment that costs more than my house

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 4, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Combat Pretzel posted:

Unbox Therapy is obnoxious as gently caress.

I feel like Unbox Therapy also doesn't really know anything about the things he talks about. His videos are just like "omg look how cheap this Android phone is" and the entire video could just be summed up with the thumbnail.

At least Linus knows some stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would never watch another unboxing video as long as I live if companies were capable of just clearly stating what comes in the package, and maybe taking a photo of it all like Newegg do/did.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I would never watch another unboxing video as long as I live if companies were capable of just clearly stating what comes in the package, and maybe taking a photo of it all like Newegg do/did.

I think there's a certain allure to seeing people unbox new gadgets. They definitely get views that's for sure. And that's before even getting into ASMR unboxing videos, which admittedly are a guilty pleasure.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There was some Gamers Nexus video were PC Jesus was being extra sarcastic and posing in various rooms of a fancy house a few months ago. Does anyone remember what the topic/title/url of this video was?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GutBomb posted:

There was some Gamers Nexus video were PC Jesus was being extra sarcastic and posing in various rooms of a fancy house a few months ago. Does anyone remember what the topic/title/url of this video was?

This?

https://youtu.be/tRH0-QwhvVQ

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

I think there's a certain allure to seeing people unbox new gadgets. They definitely get views that's for sure. And that's before even getting into ASMR unboxing videos, which admittedly are a guilty pleasure.

as long as they don't call it a review when the extent of the review is just gesturing to parts of the product

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Yep that was it, thanks.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I made the mistake of watching Linus' Honor 8X paid promotion video and felt so embarrassed for him. Not only was the whole thing an expensively shot low effort video, but highlights exactly why his channel is so frustrating. I get that he has to do these to pay the bills, but by god, even with his normal snide remarks was it awful and I feel dumber for not knowing anything about the drat phone.

Nearly as bad as those unboxing idiots gushing over new products.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

snickothemule posted:

I made the mistake of watching Linus' Honor 8X paid promotion video and felt so embarrassed for him. Not only was the whole thing an expensively shot low effort video, but highlights exactly why his channel is so frustrating. I get that he has to do these to pay the bills, but by god, even with his normal snide remarks was it awful and I feel dumber for not knowing anything about the drat phone.

Nearly as bad as those unboxing idiots gushing over new products.

Even Pewdiepie did a promotional video for the Honor phones. Twice actually.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

64bit_Dophins posted:

I feel like Unbox Therapy also doesn't really know anything about the things he talks about. His videos are just like "omg look how cheap this Android phone is" and the entire video could just be summed up with the thumbnail.

At least Linus knows some stuff.

That fucker shows up in the recs in any video that is remotely consumer tech related. YT really likes pushing their megamillions yet trashy low-effort superstars.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Palladium posted:

That fucker shows up in the recs in any video that is remotely consumer tech related. YT really likes pushing their megamillions yet trashy low-effort superstars.

I feel like it's been getting worse lately. I'm getting heaps of TED talks and things like Valuetainment in my up next. The moment I started clicking on those things I'm getting tons of only the bigger people. Its annoying, I've lost all my indepth tech and dev stuff to a billion Linus, LGR (I do really like this guy, but I don't want him flooding my up next) and random crap videos. Admittedly it's probably my own fault for clicking on that stuff and will probably resolve itself if I abstain again.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
If you're gonna click poo poo, click the poo poo in incognito mode. That way it doesn't fill your history. It doesn't solve the problem but it helps.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Or don't let it track your history in the first place. YouTube only recommends stuff to me based on what I've liked and favorited.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You should switch to dark mode.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I use watch history so youtube only recommends poo poo I've already seen 50% of the time rather than 90% of the time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
We talk about good tech reviewers. Or people we would like to do better. But I found the worst guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChfHZNDTuoM

he paid to promote that review as a good example of his work

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

We talk about good tech reviewers. Or people we would like to do better. But I found the worst guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChfHZNDTuoM

he paid to promote that review as a good example of his work

I'm fairly certain this guy's a serial killer.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish people building machines talked about why they use the parts they used. Watching Jay and some Mac guy build a PC for video editing work is fine, but they’re putting a 1080ti in there and it’s not even clear whether they need it for that job or that the building newbie is aware of how overkill it is (they don’t, as evidenced by mounting it vertically against tempered glass to choke for air.)

Edit:Apparently it was free from EVGA so that’s why. Wish he had said that up front at the start.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Craptacular! posted:

I wish people building machines talked about why they use the parts they used. Watching Jay and some Mac guy build a PC for video editing work is fine, but they’re putting a 1080ti in there and it’s not even clear whether they need it for that job or that the building newbie is aware of how overkill it is (they don’t, as evidenced by mounting it vertically against tempered glass to choke for air.)

Edit:Apparently it was free from EVGA so that’s why. Wish he had said that up front at the start.

I always assume the safest bet for their hardware choices are the centre of the venn diagram of 'who is sponsoring,' 'what freebies we have lying around,' and 'what is totally loving overkill because we can.'

I get it when it comes to rando benchmarking vids where they want to eliminate any possible bottlenecks to get an idea of the true, unconstrained performance of a part in isolation, but most of the time it's the nerd equivalent of making it rain.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus's latest crazy project is not going well. Who would have thought connecting 18+ PCIe devices to the same motherboard might not work so well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQHK7jIojk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UtNpbGSHs

Also note that this monstrosity is taking up the main meeting room in their office so I'm sure that's fun for all his employees.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 21, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Probably not as annoying as the giant plastic dragon taking up the entire loading dock.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Company owner taking over an entire conference room so he can crawl around equipment for a project that probably won't work.. seems almost cliche

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus's latest crazy project is not going well. Who would have thought connecting 18+ PCIe devices to the same motherboard might not work so well?

Also note that this monstrosity is taking up the main meeting room in their office so I'm sure that's fun for all his employees.

What he's going for is kinda neat, but entirely impractical - six editors using one machine, meaning six times the downtime if the server fails, and tons more places for things to go wrong. Not sure why you'd want that vs six discrete workstations that would probably end up cheaper (when you factor in the US$20K in CPUs alone) that you could tweak and upgrade individually. For nerd-cred however, it's cool.

That said, why the ever-loving christ doesn't he mount the parts in the case vs. having them all dangle around everywhere (even if he's still tuning things), use a KVM mux vs six uncessesary discrete KVMs, and build things up bit-by-bit vs. trying everything at once and getting frustrated when it doesn't work? If I was trying that sort of thing, I'd start with one complete machine then move on to the next, etc. until I hit problems. Easier to debug, and you also know what subset of your original goal is achievable, instead of "whelp, no idea why it doesn't all work".

Edit: I do like LTT videos for the incompetence and sheer volume of product reviews, but man is their editing and click-bait titles annoying.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Edit: I do like LTT videos for the incompetence and sheer volume of product reviews, but man is their editing and click-bait titles annoying.
Blame Youtube for the titles. Their stupid AI prefers those.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

dissss posted:

Probably not as annoying as the giant plastic dragon taking up the entire loading dock.

You have to wonder how many of his staff were secretly hoping that crate was gonna collapse under him, when he was sitting on top of it and started kicking away one of the sides. :v:

Also, while I like Linus and his vids for the most part, that particular video was just terrible. Especially near the end when he was trying to "pwn" his wife over how totally cool and rad it was to waste $900 on it, and she was the living embodiment of :rolleyes: about the whole thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I think the first time I heard about LTT on these forums, it was described as Top Gear but with computers. It's a very accurate description: ambitious but rubbish.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the first time I heard about LTT on these forums, it was described as Top Gear but with computers. It's a very accurate description: ambitious but rubbish.

This right here. I enjoy watching his vids, primarily because they're more often than not completely impractical from a PC enthusiast perspective (let alone an actual, real-world business standpoint). It's basically the computer version of watching to see if a trainwreck happens.

With that said, there are some enjoyable vids where Linus is forced (for budgetary or practical reasons) to actually come up with a sensible solution instead of the usual "ZOMG LOL SO WACKY" goofiness. Like the one video where he's redoing the wifi for his wife's relative's house in Taiwan, and actually has to put something in that works for what they need and blends in with their decor.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For me the thing with Linus is he doesn't do actual smart/clever stuff to be interesting and the stuff he does while often kinda dumb usually isn't dumb enough to be actually entertaining.

Plus I find his voice very irritating.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM

I want to see Linus send a 486 in space.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Radar posted:

What really funny is he's doing it in the dumbest way possible, the rtx series has a usb-c now, he could do the whole project with 6 rtx 2080 ti and 6 usb-c monitors and skip the exotic pci switch. He could even use single slot rtx's and do it without pci-e extenders.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

mobby_6kl posted:

I used to watch most of his stuff years ago when he and Luke did a Friday night livestream out of his garage, and he seemed really down to earth, just a guy who was really passionate about computers. I havent watched any of his stuff for over a year and I think that hits the nail
on the head; its turned into Top Gear with computers. I actively avoid clicking his videos now so my feed isnt full of him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I cackled like a loving fiend at that PCI extender monstrosity that he was doing with more hardware than my life is worth - and yet was completely shut down by good old device identifier limits or whatever. Linus really shows that money doesn't mean sense.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arivia posted:

I cackled like a loving fiend at that PCI extender monstrosity that he was doing with more hardware than my life is worth - and yet was completely shut down by good old device identifier limits or whatever. Linus really shows that money doesn't mean sense.

Quite similiar to him thinking making a raid with the /dev/sd[a-z] format and seeing what happens when you out in the 27th drive.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Last Friday I watched Linus's stupid livestream about his dragon. And then he hosted Techlinked. And then I watched the WAN show. Much too much imo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Linus just did a video on affordable VR and never mentioned that you can get a Windows MR headset for like $150 vs $400 for the Rift. Because it's a sponsored video by Oculus lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mobby_6kl posted:

Linus just did a video on affordable VR and never mentioned that you can get a Windows MR headset for like $150 vs $400 for the Rift. Because it's a sponsored video by Oculus lol.

...And? It was made clear the whole time that the video was sponsored and while it didn’t tread any new ground it’s always nice to point out that VR doesn’t actually take a computer that costs a ton. The affordable part was the machine not the headset.