Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

take out that fucker frank lloyd "low density" wright while you're at it.

as long as we can murk mies van der rohe too

gently caress that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i thought it was quark, the ferengi.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

each subsequent atlas shrugged movie had a complete turnover of cast and crew

quote:

The trilogy received predominantly negative critical reviews[2] and the aggregate USA box office is just under $9 million (revenues do not include video and television). The first film, directed by Paul Johansson, stars Taylor Schilling, Grant Bowler, Matthew Marsden, Johansson, Graham Beckel and Jsu Garcia was released in April 2011 and had a USA box office of $4.5 million on a budget of under $20 million.[3] Most of the marketing was done online. The second film, directed by John Putch, stars Samantha Mathis, Jason Beghe, Patrick Fabian, D.B. Sweeney and Esai Morales, and had a USA box office of $3.3 million on a budget of under $10 million.[4] The third film, directed by J. James Manera, stars Laura Regan, Rob Morrow, Greg Germann, Kristoffer Polaha, Lew Temple and Joaquim de Almeida, and had a USA box office of less than $1 million on a budget of under $5 million.[5]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

i thought it was quark, the ferengi.

he was in one of them yeah

https://twitter.com/pentadact/status/695769308845252609

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

as long as we can murk mies van der rohe too

gently caress that guy

what's your problem with van der rohe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
he's most responsible for modern soulless glass & steel skyscrapers

you can blame le corbusier too but he at least did other work

mies blazed the trail and is thus generally regarded as the father of it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah, le corbusier had some faults, but at least he advocated for high density stuff.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

but really though there work seems like not much more than architectural masturbation. they may have put up a few structures, but they were never able to enact their whole philosphy. it's like the whole garden city thing. as far as i know, nothing even approaching the original intended scope of that idea has ever been developed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it's all superficial bullshit and no one ever gets anything done. hail satan.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

van der rohe invented that style but he did it right. the proportions are perfect. dude started the bauhaus, ffs. i love the TD center in toronto.

i agree that other, more recent architects have taken the wrong lessons from his work and made soulless cubes, the same way that a ton of industrial designers misunderstand minimalism when ripping off dieter rams and end up just making boring basic poo poo. but that's on them

i like le corbusier's work in the 30s but after that he gets wacked out and also i can't take seriously anyone who names themselves "the raven"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
corbu also a nazi

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i can't take seriously anyone who names themselves "the raven"

see, i've been told that it means that, and also that it doesn't mean that, and that it was an old family name.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think anyone really knows what it means (the closest translation would be more like "the raven-er") but anyone who assigns themselves a mononym is automatically 1000% more tedious

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i was positive i'd heard that he used to go around wearing a black cloak, but i couldn't find any pictures. found this tho!!!

Kanye Hearts Le Corbusier

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

President Beep posted:

yeah, le corbusier had some faults, but at least he advocated for high density stuff.

i especially liked his idea or algiers, which was to raze the city and build a giant block going all around the bay to lodge everyone, transport would be done by a giant megahighway on top of the block itself

also he was a nazi, very good at turning his vest inside out though

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

very good at turning his vest inside out though

that's how you keep the specters of good taste away. :eng101:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

this

loving avatar has got to go

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

corbu liked to eat out, at trucker and factory worker bars in order to strengthen his connection to Der Volk, er, the workers, and that's why his kitchens are tiny, because he never used them

also he apparently didn't know about sigma values because his designs aren't made for people ten centimeters taller than the average

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 4, 2018

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

would not at all be surprised to learn that some space agency at some point had done research into how much you could surgically pare down a human while still leaving enough of them that they could operate a spacecraft

you rang?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

this

loving avatar has got to go

buy me something new.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

charlotte pierrand did a ton of the actual good stuff associated with le corbusier, like the stuff that looks like humans might actually want to use it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Roosevelt posted:

i'd completely forgotten about what anne rand actually wrote because everything is a blur now, but you reminded me of the time i tried to read atlas shrugged. i got halfway through to the part where all the captains of industry live secluded in their impossible utopia and i literally threw the book in the trash

Strikes are bad! Now let me tell you how rich people refusing to do work is not a strike.

It's because management can't strike, only the workers can.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peeny Cheez posted:

I didn't even make it that far. I did watch the first movie, though, which is Battlefield: Earth levels of hilariously bad.

Battlefield: Earth is at least goofy and tries to make an interesting-looking sci-fi world, the atlas shrugged movie is just boring people talking intensely about completely un-relatable problems.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
how the blast do you know about that, man-animal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i went to look up what else he's been in and this one caught my eye:

quote:

2004 What the Bleep Do We Know!? Cameo

:allears:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ate all the Oreos posted:

Battlefield: Earth is at least goofy and tries to make an interesting-looking sci-fi world, the atlas shrugged movie is just boring people talking intensely about completely un-relatable problems.
Well, similar in that the source material is just god-awful, but because they're true believers they just lean into it. Also, if I remember correctly, the second half of the book Battlefield: Earth is a dispute with another bunch of aliens about the mortgage on Earth, so it would have caught up in regards to boringness and unrelatability.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

robert picardo is in the second one

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

FAUXTON posted:

Like that tweet/mindset doesn't even make sense unless you believe you can get something for noth-

Oh I get it now. Elon.

money for nothin and your chic EV

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol i was gonna post this

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

quote:

the raven

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hey-ooo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wouldn't it be

The Raven posted:

Nevermore

???

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Raven posted:

quote:

nevermore

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

robert picardo is in the second one

what song did he sing

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
[/quote]

it’s

code:
[quote=The Raven]
nevermore
[/quote]

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

musk thread: pedants and pederasts

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

President Beep posted:

but really though there work seems like not much more than architectural masturbation. they may have put up a few structures, but they were never able to enact their whole philosphy. it's like the whole garden city thing. as far as i know, nothing even approaching the original intended scope of that idea has ever been developed.
it’s as if architects are at the mercy of lovely city planners

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i should have been an architect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's tough keeping a straight face during meetings with them when they say things like "we need to have this staircase better communicate with this facing of the facade"