Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, is the item freezer the same thing as the storage chest? I see a fighter freezer (which I think is upgraded with kill coins? I haven't fought the boss that unlocks waiting room upgrades), but no item one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, is the item freezer the same thing as the storage chest? I see a fighter freezer (which I think is upgraded with kill coins? I haven't fought the boss that unlocks waiting room upgrades), but no item one.
Yeah it’s the storage chest, which looks like a chest freezer.

You unlock waiting room upgrades by killing the first boss on floor 3. You have to opt-in to multiplayer to do so. There’s not much downside to doing so anymore but don’t keep lots of coin/SPL in your main reserves once you do so.

The fighter freezer is also a priority to upgrade and fill with 1-star fighters ASAP-. If you’re playing for an hour or more at a time, send your fighters on expeditions (naked without gear/weapons ideally) and they bring back items you can stockpile or sell dependant on the floor you send them to.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Yeah it’s the storage chest, which looks like a chest freezer.

You unlock waiting room upgrades by killing the first boss on floor 3. You have to opt-in to multiplayer to do so. There’s not much downside to doing so anymore but don’t keep lots of coin/SPL in your main reserves once you do so.

The fighter freezer is also a priority to upgrade and fill with 1-star fighters ASAP-. If you’re playing for an hour or more at a time, send your fighters on expeditions (naked without gear/weapons ideally) and they bring back items you can stockpile or sell dependant on the floor you send them to.

Awesome, that's super-duper helpful; thanks for all of the advice! :)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Omi no Kami posted:

Awesome, that's super-duper helpful; thanks for all of the advice! :)
No problem. I'm a big fan of the game and yet have never spent a cent on it. I would also note a couple more things the game doesn't make explicit.

Each 10-floor area will have Screamers largely using a certain type of weapons and a certain type of gear. Each set of weapons has armor types it's good against and armor types it's weak against. Likewise for sets of armor against weapons. You'll figure out how that goes but it's a warning not to put all your eggs in one basket w/r/t researching weapons and gear (initially), and to pay attention to armor defence modifiers. They can really make a big difference in the early-mid game.

By the way, the way that armor value works is there's a flat value (the big white number on the gear) that goes down with wear and tear. That's modified by the percentages for piercing, blunt, fire, etc. A very advanced piece of gear may be weak against say blunt but if that base value is high enough it might still be your best bet compared to what else you have going on. So maybe you can eventually put all your eggs in one basket, if you have enough eggs.

A special note for headgear is that it doesn't affect resistance to damage types but instead alters your base stats. I like helmets that increase STR and/or DEX without any drawbacks (so, the Special Forces Beret, Sengoku and Silent Sniper ones, basically).

As far as QOL upgrades that make the game less harsh and more fun:
- Eventually try to get permanent decals (which stack with non-perm decals of the same type), including poison eater for on demand healing if you have a snail handy.
- The mosquito/vampire decals are really useful early throughout the game.
- A researched sniper rifle and/or assault rifle will give you options to draw off enemies one by one (and headshots).
- Upgrading the iron to shoot fire eventually is a must, as it shreds armor, but is still useful for its AOE rage move before that.
- A catclaw or butcher cleaver are excellent for poison damage (which causes enemies to stop and vomit if you get far enough away). That will carry you through F11-20 quite well, but make sure you check for that poison eater decal by locking on (especially Haters).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How about South Park: The Stick of Truth? I just purchased it on Steam because it was $8 and a gameplay video I was watching on Youtube intrigued me. I'm not a terribly big fan of South Park, but it doesn't look like you have to know obscure trivia in order to enjoy the game.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How about South Park: The Stick of Truth? I just purchased it on Steam because it was $8 and a gameplay video I was watching on Youtube intrigued me. I'm not a terribly big fan of South Park, but it doesn't look like you have to know obscure trivia in order to enjoy the game.

It's like playing an episode of South Park, so if your not a fan, the game may get boring quick as the combat system is fairly basic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, only thing you may wanna know before playing is that there's lots of missable chievos if you care about that. Otherwise it's all pretty straightforward.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh, and of course; Never, ever, fart on another man's balls.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Also the wizard it's completely brokenly good and trivializes the combat.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Anything for Forza Horizon 4?

I imagine it's just "Do whatever you want", since it's an open world driving game, but there might be some things I should be prioritising if I want to get more cars, for example.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Another tip for Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

Shortly after you get to the Hidden City, you'll encounter a new enemy and will be given a shotgun to help. The shotgun takes 2 or 3 shots to kill them. Instead of this, get the combat skill that lets you dodge counter. It's easy to do, way faster, and honestly easier.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Centipeed posted:

Anything for Forza Horizon 4?

I imagine it's just "Do whatever you want", since it's an open world driving game, but there might be some things I should be prioritising if I want to get more cars, for example.

If it's like the last 3 do whatever you want is all the advice you really need. You get enough credits and XP from racing that getting cars is no problem.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Sorry for specific question, but I remember that it's practically impossible not to get spoiled if you look up anything about this game, so:

About to start 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, specifically the NDS version. I remember something about a nasty bug where you're not supposed to save somewhere (certain room? all puzzle rooms? somewhere else?) or the save will get hosed up beyond repair. Is this bug present in the NDS version and if so, which places/situations are dangerous?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pierzak posted:

Sorry for specific question, but I remember that it's practically impossible not to get spoiled if you look up anything about this game, so:

About to start 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, specifically the NDS version. I remember something about a nasty bug where you're not supposed to save somewhere (certain room? all puzzle rooms? somewhere else?) or the save will get hosed up beyond repair. Is this bug present in the NDS version and if so, which places/situations are dangerous?
The long and short of it without spoiling is "don't save during a puzzle room, just during story bits".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierzak posted:

Wrong game. That bug is in Virtue's Last Reward, the sequel.

Specifically you need to avoid saving in the PEC room, though it's genersally advised to not save during Escape sequences.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pierzak posted:

Oh man you're in for a treat :allears: but like others have said, I don't think that version has any bugs like that. It's....also missing some QoL stuff too but whatever, it's worth reading.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

food court bailiff posted:

Oh man you're in for a treat :allears: but like others have said, I don't think that version has any bugs like that. It's....also missing some QoL stuff too but whatever, it's worth reading.

The DS version's well worth playing, just for the dual screens playing into certain elements of the game's framework, especially how they're used for the finale.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, I played 999 on the DS first, and it makes the final twist much clearer and more intuitive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah, when my gf played through the rerelease on PS4, I was a little dismayed at how it was represented throughout the game. It was a lot less of an impact due to that.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anything for Expeditions: Vikings?

About to start for the first time. Thinking of putting the difficulty on medium as well (it defaults to hard?)

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Could I get some tips for Elex? I've put like 10 hours into this game and still don't know what to do, or how to not jetpack myself screaming halfway across the world map. This game is so loving lethal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Could I get some tips for Elex? I've put like 10 hours into this game and still don't know what to do, or how to not jetpack myself screaming halfway across the world map. This game is so loving lethal.

Don't try to fight anything more dangerous looking than a consumptive kitten. You are weak at the start.
Drink your Elex.
Go to the Clerics and get a Flamethrower or Plasma Rifle. Both of these weapons have an attack mode than knocks the enemy down. Knockdown cannot be resisted and allows you to stunlock enemies to death.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just got Renowned Explorers. Don't know much about it, I suppose that you assemble a party and go hunting for treasure across the world. Assuming it's procedurally generated. Anything I should keep in mind?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Just got Renowned Explorers. Don't know much about it, I suppose that you assemble a party and go hunting for treasure across the world. Assuming it's procedurally generated. Anything I should keep in mind?
It's been a while, but from what I remember:

You really want your party to complement each other (someone who can take hits, someone who can do aoe, someone who can heal and so on) and focus primarily on one style of fighting, blue, green or red. A really good leader for beginners is Anna, you can get a ton of mileage out of her leader skill; another great option is the Turkish archer girl, who can make insane amounts of money.
Some expeditions are harder than others; Mali is a pain in the rear end even if you go for Friendly, don't even think about doing the Mayan thing without decent Cunning and Shangri-La is suicide unless you have a really buff party. I'd avoid those on beginning runs.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 5, 2018

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So I should just keep booking it til I hit the clerics? Because I've wanted to join them since I looked at the skills they give you. And have yet to actually find any hint towards getting to be one aside from Falk.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So I should just keep booking it til I hit the clerics? Because I've wanted to join them since I looked at the skills they give you. And have yet to actually find any hint towards getting to be one aside from Falk.
There's a domed city towards the west of the map; a Cleric recruiter walks the road between it and the eastern volcanic area. He'll brainwash you into joining and walk you to the Cleric hometown.
And yeah, run like crazy before you get a decent ranged weapon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

It's been a while, but from what I remember:

You really want your party to complement each other (someone who can take hits, someone who can do aoe, someone who can heal and so on) and focus primarily on one style of fighting, blue, green or red. A really good leader for beginners is Anna, you can get a ton of mileage out of her leader skill; another great option is the Turkish archer girl, who can make insane amounts of money.
Some expeditions are harder than others; Mali is a pain in the rear end even if you go for Friendly, don't even think about doing the Mayan thing without decent Cunning and Shangri-La is suicide unless you have a really buff party. I'd avoid those on beginning runs.

Thanks. Just started a game with Anna, Hatice, and Dolores on Discovery/Normal. Now to see how this works.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks. Just started a game with Anna, Hatice, and Dolores on Discovery/Normal. Now to see how this works.

Renowed Explorers is a game about finding your competitive advantage and pushing it as hard as you can as you snowball more and more. In Anna’s case, pursue Research, write as many papers as you can and make those Study Tokens ridiculously valuable.

Also, pay attention when choosing your stages so you chose the best one for your team.

Don’t be afraid to take some hunger damage for loot, if you’re confident that you will win the final fight of the stage anyway. That may require some experience, but in general a couple of hunger events won’t hurt you too much and help with early loot.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Tips for Monster Hunter Generations? My only experience is with World and all I know is I'll miss x amount of QOL changes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Renowed Explorers is a game about finding your competitive advantage and pushing it as hard as you can as you snowball more and more. In Anna’s case, pursue Research, write as many papers as you can and make those Study Tokens ridiculously valuable.

Also, pay attention when choosing your stages so you chose the best one for your team.

Don’t be afraid to take some hunger damage for loot, if you’re confident that you will win the final fight of the stage anyway. That may require some experience, but in general a couple of hunger events won’t hurt you too much and help with early loot.

OK. I haven't really found a use for Research yet, I suppose that'll show up later.

Just wiped on my first real stage, by the way. The cultists at the Hungarian Fort killed my party. I guess since the description of the head cultist was 'she knows how to deal with Aggressive opponents', that stage was a bad pick.

e: found the Research button

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 5, 2018

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for destiny 2? I don't have any of the expansions and don't intend to get them either unless I really get hooked. FYI, I played destiny 1 up to (but did not play) the Taken King expansion.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Since you guys were talking about Elex:
I was going to pick the Outlaws faction since they look very Mad Max-ish. Should I just swap to the Scientologists instead?

Also are there any trap skills/stats?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Main things I'd say for Renowned Explorers:
--things snowball very easily. Small bonuses at the start can turn into big ones as time goes on, and little things add up. Don't get paralyzed over the choices but don't assume they're trivial either. Also keep an eye out for things that complement each other; you need a little of every resource, but specializing in one will usually give greater returns that trying to go medium in them all.
--It's a fail-forwards game of experience. Don't walk in your first time aiming to blow high scores out of the water (if weekly community challenges are still going on, DEFINITELY don't compare yourself to the folks who have been playing it for years and have every event memorized), just set personal goals. Try to survive 5 expeditions, try to beat Rivaleux, try to clear one of the 5-star expeditions, and so on. You WILL make mistakes, some will just be bad luck (you can minimize but never really eliminate that), some will be strategic, when you fail try to figure out what wasn't working. This isn't a game where you walk in, beat it as a testament of intelligence or reflexes, and you're done.
--Unlockables are more options, not *better* ones. Your starting expedition leaders aren't inherently worse or better than new ones, campfire cards you draw are generally going to be better than the base but that's all RNG and none are going to say "win this stage that gives you trouble". It's about gaining new exploration options, not powering up.
--Look up how to unlock the Halloween relics. It was a community event years ago, the hints to decipher it are still in there but it was in no way intended to be solved solo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mayor McCheese posted:

Since you guys were talking about Elex:
I was going to pick the Outlaws faction since they look very Mad Max-ish. Should I just swap to the Scientologists instead?

Also are there any trap skills/stats?
Melee is a trap in the sense that it's (probably) possible to spec into it and beat the game but ranged is just so much better. Apart from that, no; outlaws have access to some amazing weaponry and don't suffer from XP penalties when using drugs; this does not sound like a big deal, but there are drugs for double damage and increased attack speed, just those two will turn you into a murder machine.

The factions are actually fairly balanced bonus-wise; if there's a weak one it's the Berserkers because their bows are soooo sloooow. Plus nothing is preventing you from murdering a cleric and taking their plasma rifle.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 5, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, yeah, I feel I should add some Renowned Explorers info as well.

-Equipment is super important; it's the primary means of your characters getting more powerful. Prioritize defense over attack, trinkets are usually a luxury.

-Stick to one resource you want to focus in - money, culture or science. They all bring their own benefits; that being said, no matter what you get you will need cash.

-Some characters have specialities that are not immediately obvious but can make the early game a lot easier. Jan Piet is a tank who can heal, Victor's story gives him a nice mid-tier weapon, Earl does an insane amount of damage even without equipment if you can position him right. Also, don't bother with Ivan.

-The science tree upgrades that get you explorer tools are really useful; those allow you to improve your chances on a check once an expedition.

-Follow up even on the silly little encounters if you can. For example, doing all the sheep-related stuff in Ireland eventually leads to a treasure after a whole lot of nothing.

-Mix up your party, try out everyone. Some characters have unique options in solving some events and most of those are pretty hilarious.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

anilEhilated posted:

Also, don't bother with Ivan.

No idea how you got to this. His captain perk's not very good, sure, but most aren't, he's perfectly fine as crew, and with his story card he is literally the strongest attacker in the game.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Just ran into this, but Elex has point inflation for some godforsaken reason. Not sure if it happens for skill points, but once you hit 31 in an attribute it costs 2 per upgrade.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

1redflag posted:

Anything for destiny 2? I don't have any of the expansions and don't intend to get them either unless I really get hooked. FYI, I played destiny 1 up to (but did not play) the Taken King expansion.

Wow, no page for Destiny 2 yet? I swear this was covered recently.

-Pick a class based on the super move and the class abilities. (Titan = tanky shield and deployable cover, Hunter = nimble bo staff and dodge move, Warlock = Sith on the loose and team buffs)
-Do the story first. You're at a disadvantage in the Crucible until you've fully upgraded a subclass. (Hunter class almost requires the Dodge ability)
-The sub-classes can all be unlocked in one play through, but you'll need a new character to change your main class. You'll have enough points to upgrade them all too, so get what you want.
-You'll find better gear until Level 250, and then the hard cap sets in until you buy an expansion. (I believe Forsaken currently goes up to Level 600.)
-If you want to play long term, join a clan and pick up all the expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

1redflag posted:

I was in the same boat. The only real tip I have is don't bother grinding for Nightfall Strike access. It's just Strikes minus matchmaking, so if you're playing solo it's a waste of time.