Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish there were either way more tradition trees than you could ever get in a single game, so you pick the ones that best apply to your situation and theme, or that on empire creation you can pick from a big grab-back of trees that fit the story of your nation.

It always feels really weird that your peaceful isolationists with no vassals need to finished the DOMINATION tree just so they can make their habitats bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wish there were as many ascension trees as there were Ideas in EU4.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, and I really like how custom nations work in EU4 where you can assemble things your self and even give them flavour text.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It might be neat if there was at least a way you could progress towards unlocking an ascension slot without the tradition trees. You'd probably want it to be slightly cheaper (because you're not getting the benefits of each step of the traditions as well) but it would let you get the ascension stuff without doing traditions you don't want to do.

I had to do some mental gymnastics to justify taking the 'mega corporations' one for my Space USSR.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

evenworse username posted:

I had to do some mental gymnastics to justify taking the 'mega corporations' one for my Space USSR.

They're just really really big co-ops.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

DrSunshine posted:

Agree. One of the biggest bummers in any Stellaris game is when you run out of cool traditions and have to pick a lovely one just to open up more perk slots.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Traditions, like ascension parks, are something they seem to have built so it could be added seamlessly in the future. Certianly something that hooks into the base game with ease and can be used to tie new additions in future expansions.

Towards the end of today's stream while they were talking about the release date Wiz very pointedly mentioned that what's been shown off so far will be included in the free patch when 2.2 drops, seeming to infer that there will indeed be paid features coming down the line.

Doesn't necessarially mean new traditions trees this time around but you never know.

Also, unless I completely zoned out I don't think they discussed the change in building slots being determined by pops instead of infrastructure in the stream. I'll have to rewatch it when I get home and can pay closer attention.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree more traditions would be good, along with consequences for going down a certain path in the form of other choices being locked off or becoming more expensive. Maybe something like a web of nodes where you start in the center with diametrically opposed tradition trees on either side. Make the cost of each tradition depend on the distance of the node from the average of all your other choices, and the more distant nodes have a greater impact when selected. Unlocking perks could depend on passing certain thresholds in terms of distance from the center.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Traditions, like ascension parks, are something they seem to have built so it could be added seamlessly in the future. Certianly something that hooks into the base game with ease and can be used to tie new additions in future expansions.

Towards the end of today's stream while they were talking about the release date Wiz very pointedly mentioned that what's been shown off so far will be included in the free patch when 2.2 drops, seeming to infer that there will indeed be paid features coming down the line.

Doesn't necessarially mean new traditions trees this time around but you never know.

Also, unless I completely zoned out I don't think they discussed the change in building slots being determined by pops instead of infrastructure in the stream. I'll have to rewatch it when I get home and can pay closer attention.

They did. Infrastructure was bad because people would spam cities on barely populated planets just to get the inf to build a ton of buildings they wanted but they didn't really want/need the cities so the whole thing wasn't really ideal. Doing it by population cuts out the middle man, since cities are housing for pops mostly, just base it off pops instead. If your planet decreases in pops for what ever reason, slots will re-lock and the building becomes ruined. The one thing I don't like about this system is that it means your buildings being ruined will be based on when they were built, rather than you picking priorities. Maybe I built a hydroponic farm early on and an alloy factory later. I got bombed and lost some pops and now my alloy factory can't work because it was in the last built slot, but I'd really rather turn off the hydroponic farm than the critical factory. If we could like... drag buildings and swap their slots to re-prioritize them or something that would be cool.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

They did. Infrastructure was bad because people would spam cities on barely populated planets just to get the inf to build a ton of buildings they wanted but they didn't really want/need the cities so the whole thing wasn't really ideal. Doing it by population cuts out the middle man, since cities are housing for pops mostly, just base it off pops instead. If your planet decreases in pops for what ever reason, slots will re-lock and the building becomes ruined. The one thing I don't like about this system is that it means your buildings being ruined will be based on when they were built, rather than you picking priorities. Maybe I built a hydroponic farm early on and an alloy factory later. I got bombed and lost some pops and now my alloy factory can't work because it was in the last built slot, but I'd really rather turn off the hydroponic farm than the critical factory. If we could like... drag buildings and swap their slots to re-prioritize them or something that would be cool.

But it basically represents that building being destroyed by bombing, how would it make sense for you to decide which building the enemy destroys?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Torrannor posted:

But it basically represents that building being destroyed by bombing, how would it make sense for you to decide which building the enemy destroys?

It represents the planet not having the population to support the building. It seems like something you'd be able to prioritize. If it was just bombing shouldn't it be random, not based exactly on order of construction?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Well no, because pop decrease re-locking slots represents you running out of people to staff them.

Pop decrease might happen due to bombing but it might also happen for other reasons and in that case it makes perfect sense to be able to choose where to allocate your workforce. Bombing, as i understand it, damages buildings randomly, pop loss damages them in order.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It represents the planet not having the population to support the building. It seems like something you'd be able to prioritize. If it was just bombing shouldn't it be random, not based exactly on order of construction?

Everything is on one tile now, skyscraper style. Later buildings are on top and therefore get bombed first.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Everything is on one tile now, skyscraper style. Later buildings are on top and therefore get bombed first.

This is a planet. It menaces with a spike of buildings.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i haven't been following stellaris news for a few months, waiting for the 2.2 patch. is there any info or estimate on when it may be released?

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
No release date has been announced.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wiz is growing a Nordic metal band goatee, though. Just needed to share this critical news.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Shadowlyger posted:

This is a planet. It menaces with a spike of buildings.

On the item is an image of a large worm

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I mean, cheers for making my point that Doctor Who continuity is all over the place (but in an oddly aggressive manner)

Well, take a look at my avatar. :v:

ConfusedUs posted:

Robot chat: I wish I could pick any portrait, robots included, for any empire. If I don't pick a gestalt consciousness, treat them like any other pops with happiness, etc. I'm even fine with "food" requirements for them. I can abstract that in my mind as anything number of things, like burning plant matter for internal combustion engines or huge endless fields of giant hamsters on wheels, running endlessly to produce power.

Then I can have gay space communist robots or syncretic evolution servile bots or whatever.

There was a mod that allowed players to pick a Synth-start, which was a lot like a individualist robot start. No idea if that mod has survived the many changes afterwards, though.

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there were either way more tradition trees than you could ever get in a single game, so you pick the ones that best apply to your situation and theme, or that on empire creation you can pick from a big grab-back of trees that fit the story of your nation.

It always feels really weird that your peaceful isolationists with no vassals need to finished the DOMINATION tree just so they can make their habitats bigger.

Having more tradition trees would be neat, especially if they go farther then just MORE SHIPS or MORE ENERGY. But personally, I think it would be even better to have 1-2 more expensive super techs to get some more ascension perks. Regardless of what you roleplay as, there are always those pesky 1-2 trees that make no goddamn sense with what you're trying to achieve, so slogging through them just to get those two last perks feels always like the dumbest thing ever

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I always felt the civ5 traditions were a bit limited in that you get most of what you want in a typical playthrough, so when that was implemented more or less whole cloth it was interesting to see that the exact same problem carried over.

Much like there should be way more research options available so there was an actual choice to make, I rarely feel I'm making much of a choice with traditions other than "which ones would be most useful for the first 2-3"

Please add a ton of traditions, empire events, and research choices in a $15 content pack or something, that would be badass.

I still think 2 years on the fact that the # of events has grown so little is a real shame. In EU4 there are so many custom events for custom empires, France, Ottomans, Mughals, Russia, Austria, all that stuff. In Stellaris it feels like there are less generic events than EU4 and absolutely no custom events at all.

I suppose some stellaris dev will kool aid man in here with "Well actually we have 75% more" or something but I feel I get very very few event driven choices in a typical playthrough. The ones that are there seem very early game focused, and event decisions related to crises / l gates is not exactly what I'm talking about either.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

didnt distant stars increase the # of events by 50%??

I think that was mostly exploration oriented though.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yep from 10 to 15 we're headed to the moooon! :hellyeah:

It still feels really sparse, to me.

I bought Distant Stars and maybe they can do a Content Pack 2 that will further expand the dynamic events to cover things beyond exploration and early game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Get out of here with your "facts" kool aid man! :argh:

(I have not personally counted them, but Wiz says in his DD that DiS adds "several dozen events")

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 4, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It'd be hard to reconcile the 4x "Be whatever nation" thing with things like custom national ideas, focus trees, or decisions like in the other Paradox games. I could see more civic/ethos-specific events though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Distant Stars is probably my favorite DLC. It's not as fundamental as Utopia, especially since some of that got rolled into the main game.

But drat do I love me some Wacky Space Stuff.

What I'm saying is that I'd buy, instantly:
* Distant Stars 2: Electric Space Boogaloo
* The Most Distant Stars
* The Not-so-distant Stars
* Dancing with the Distant Stars
* Distant Stars and Stuff (It's where I get all of my stars and most of my stuff)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'll make some new events, but they will all be CK2 references.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

The comet event content pack

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Darkrenown posted:

You joke, but seriously do this

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Darkrenown posted:

:yeah:

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Why can't we search for anomalies in AI's space? (and if you do within borders of a fallen empire, you'll find nothing)

Anomalies are the most fun part early game, and it stops way to fast.
Why can't i have all precursors event in one game ex, each within a separate part of the galaxy.

Running out of things to do with scientist ship in 2020 is too early in 1000 star game.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
A better question is, why is conquered space completely explored and free of anomalies, but if you take enemy worlds ignoring stations, their stations revert to unoccupied AND can have anomalies. I guess it's less a question and more of a huh?

What, did their ghosts come back to haunt minerals?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Darkrenown posted:

"I am starting to think Subunit Coordinator-Gamma might fancy me..."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I always felt the civ5 traditions were a bit limited in that you get most of what you want in a typical playthrough, so when that was implemented more or less whole cloth it was interesting to see that the exact same problem carried over.

Much like there should be way more research options available so there was an actual choice to make, I rarely feel I'm making much of a choice with traditions other than "which ones would be most useful for the first 2-3"

Please add a ton of traditions, empire events, and research choices in a $15 content pack or something, that would be badass.

I still think 2 years on the fact that the # of events has grown so little is a real shame. In EU4 there are so many custom events for custom empires, France, Ottomans, Mughals, Russia, Austria, all that stuff. In Stellaris it feels like there are less generic events than EU4 and absolutely no custom events at all.

I suppose some stellaris dev will kool aid man in here with "Well actually we have 75% more" or something but I feel I get very very few event driven choices in a typical playthrough. The ones that are there seem very early game focused, and event decisions related to crises / l gates is not exactly what I'm talking about either.
I know I'm one of maybe three people in the world who actually liked Beyond Earth, but their virtues really nailed the traditions concept. Really good iteration on the concept.

On top of the virtues themselves you unlock bonuses on the left based on points spent in a specific tier and bonuses on the top based on points spent in a specific virtue. You can buy all the way down to the last tier of a tree and get to the powerful virtues quickly, or buy up a bunch of lower tier skills to unlock the width bonuses. If you do buy all the way down a tree you now need to decide if you want to backfill the tree for the later top row unlocks or start moving down another tree to start toward their late virtues, or start splashing into a bunch of lower tier things in all the trees for some quicky width bonuses. There's a huge amount of freedom and a lot of hard choices to be made in what you buy, and you're always on the verge of picking up the next cool thing.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 4, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Descar posted:

Why can't we search for anomalies in AI's space? (and if you do within borders of a fallen empire, you'll find nothing)

Because if you can re-search space that was already searched by someone else, you'll stack anomaly bonuses on top of each other. Which would lead to all kinds of weird situations. I don't think the current situation is great though - some way of refreshing anomalies in the mid/late game would be great (or as people point out everytime this comes up, a Dominions-like system of all anomalies being on the map from the start, but to find them you need x amount of scanner tech, scientist level, etc.).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Splicer posted:

I know I'm one of maybe three people in the world who actually liked Beyond Earth, but their virtues really nailed the traditions concept. Really good iteration on the concept.

On top of the virtues themselves you unlock bonuses on the left based on points spent in a specific tier and bonuses on the top based on points spent in a specific virtue. You can buy all the way down to the last tier of a tree and get to the powerful virtues quickly, or buy up a bunch of lower tier skills to unlock the width bonuses. If you do buy all the way down a tree you now need to decide if you want to backfill the tree for the later top row unlocks or start moving down another tree. There's a huge amount of freedom and a lot of hard choices to be made in what you buy, and you're always on the verge of picking up the next cool thing.

I liked beyond earth more than base Civ for my first play or two. It did not hold up after this. I still got over a dozen hours of out the game, which is perfectly acceptable.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

there are a lot of mods that add a bunch of tradition trees so that this is effectively the case. however all of them are terrible, except for Expanded Stellaris Traditions, which is just slightly imbalanced but still pretty good. The vanilla trees are probably still the best ones, especially Discovery, but this mod (plus the associated perk mod) allows for a lot more empire diversity.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jazerus posted:

there are a lot of mods that add a bunch of tradition trees so that this is effectively the case. however all of them are terrible, except for Expanded Stellaris Traditions, which is just slightly imbalanced but still pretty good. The vanilla trees are probably still the best ones, especially Discovery, but this mod (plus the associated perk mod) allows for a lot more empire diversity.

The one that adds nazi traditions is more terrible than the others imho.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

Because if you can re-search space that was already searched by someone else, you'll stack anomaly bonuses on top of each other. Which would lead to all kinds of weird situations. I don't think the current situation is great though - some way of refreshing anomalies in the mid/late game would be great (or as people point out everytime this comes up, a Dominions-like system of all anomalies being on the map from the start, but to find them you need x amount of scanner tech, scientist level, etc.).

You can, if the space is lost because the empire dies. Like, it's explored while the AI empire exists, but if you take both their homeworlds in a total war, the space goes back to unexplored.

I do agree though. It's not like an unaligned empire without sensor link would ever tell you "we found minerals on this rock"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

The one that adds nazi traditions is more terrible than the others imho.

yes, i meant to mention: under no circumstances install "plentiful traditions" unless you like descriptive text that constantly screams about lebensraum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Make it so that Nihilistic Acquisition / Barbaric Despoilers work like CK2 raiding and I'll be happy. Toggle fleets into a raiding stance which makes that specific fleet hostile to everything, make it so that it can only be enabled in your owned territory, make it so that when you raid someone they automatically go hostile to you (they can attack you back for X days/months/years), etc.

And tumble events of course, but the first one is the key.