Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Hasn't Bob Ley been on ESPN since Day 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Robnoxious posted:

Hasn't Bob Ley been on ESPN since Day 1?
Yes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He's earned the hell out of a sabbatical.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I thought so, that's a hell of a run but it's also kind of bittersweet because he was the last of the true pioneers at ESPN.
Bob Ley never developed an ego and got up his own rear end like the catchphrase gimmick machine Berman became.

What a class act.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 30, 2018

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4hkSlvRlY

The Bernie Williams outtakes!!!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Patrick Turds.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

more soccer stuff for espn+

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1047212242234556416

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Indian soccer must be like Watching NAIA football

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Whenever people whine about "there are 320 million people in this country, why aren't we better at soccer" I always point out China and India

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
When you're paying real money so you can watch Danish soccer you gotta reevaluate your life, man

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Whenever people whine about "there are 320 million people in this country, why aren't we better at soccer" I always point out China and India

Indian sports in general really, outside of cricket

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

When you're paying real money so you can watch Danish soccer you gotta reevaluate your life, man

what about people who still get really really mad about the supersonics

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

MourningView posted:

don't you pay money for nfl network

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

ElwoodCuse posted:

Henchman of Santa posted:

something something lack of non-pay-to-play infrastructure something something socioeconomic class systems

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The Scandinavian leagues had a lot of Americans in them for a while,but as Americans have gotten better at the sport they've started playing in some better leagues. I'm betting the company that owns the rights to the Coppa Italia packaged it all together.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well to be fair India really only cares about cricket. And they really loving care about cricket.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
wrong thread

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

Well to be fair India really only cares about cricket. And they really loving care about cricket.

And field hockey, though I don't know where they rank in the world or if there are even world rankings or even how do you play field hockey

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Lockback posted:

And field hockey, though I don't know where they rank in the world or if there are even world rankings or even how do you play field hockey

They’re 5th

http://www.fih.ch/rankings/outdoor

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

India and Pakistan have a blood rivalry in a lot of things but Field Hockey might be the top one. Pakistan are a fantastic field hockey team and India's usually well up there.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1047494187392946182

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
:rip:

In an actual :rip: sense. He was a jackass and the worst general manager to keep his job that long in recent memory, but I don't wish his disease on anyone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He is likely to die in the next year so I was shocked he was working at all

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1047541256900026368

Still not totally sure how ESPN+ got streaming rights to the NHL but if youv'e got it, here are the games they're showing this month

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’m shocked he was in the booth this year. Last year during the year the word was he was super ill.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

Still not totally sure how ESPN+ got streaming rights to the NHL but if youv'e got it, here are the games they're showing this month

it's the bamtech connection

that's also why they had a daily baseball game there this past season

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

it's the bamtech connection

that's also why they had a daily baseball game there this past season

oh that's right

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Looked that up and... oof that's not good. Hopefully his last days are peaceful :smith:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

quote:

Millen was diagnosed with the rare disease amyloidosis in 2017. Amyloidosis occurs when abnormal proteins called amyloids, produced in the bone marrow, build up in organs or tissue. In Millen’s case, the disease affected his heart, which now operates at about 30 percent capacity.

:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah it's a horrible disease

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Misfolded protein diseases are scary loving poo poo, because there's very little you can do about them once they start up.

For extra nightmare fuel, look up Prion Diseases.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DJExile posted:

It’s an add-on; NHL.tv is technically a separate deal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/1047868668963708928

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
in before neo dances on millen's soon-to-be grave

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

He's from my area, so the newspaper here tried to go in depth about his disease. He's been hospitalized for "increased lung pressure", which I'm thinking they mean pulmonary hypertension. Maybe it's a restrictive lung diseases, but I read this information forth-hand at best given the crappy writing. He's currently waiting for a heart transplant, which is its own random process.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Philadelphia Fox affiliate cut away from Panthers/Giants juuuuust before the 63 yard winning FG

https://twitter.com/RobTornoe/status/1049037100442705927

Awful Announcing posted:

The Philadelphia cutoff occurred because the NFL has a rule that local markets have to air the games involving their teams right from the beginning, preventing them joining a game in progress. If a game in the early window is not over, as was the case with Giants-Panthers, the local affiliates must break away so they can join their game on time.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
That happened with the Bengals/Falcons game last week. The game cut out with the Bengals having the ball with 10sec left in the red zone and down one score. They cut to the Rams game in SoCal and it was on commercials and the game wasn't starting for another 5 min anyways. AJ Green caught the game winner the very next play after they cut the feed.

They've managed to gently caress this up multiple times this season and its really impressive.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Ideally, someone should be able to make a judgement call if you need like one extra minute to finish the game, but NFL and broadcasters are probably too scared of that getting hosed up to let anybody do that.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I remember one time at a family gathering, I think thanksgiving a team was kicking a pivotal field goal maybe even a game winner and as the ball was mid flight the tv shut off and all of us looked at each other and were like “wtf.” It was super comical and it turns out someone just knocked the power plug out of the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

soggybagel posted:

I remember one time at a family gathering, I think thanksgiving a team was kicking a pivotal field goal maybe even a game winner and as the ball was mid flight the tv shut off and all of us looked at each other and were like “wtf.” It was super comical and it turns out someone just knocked the power plug out of the wall.

Soggybagel's cousin