Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
lol at the sorry state of this thread where posters can't fathom the idea of being social with their coworkers and having a drink or two during or after work while also being respectful of people who don't drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol at Blinkz0rz projecting

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
just my lived experience that I have seen good in-office beer drinking and I have never seen good in-office liquor drinking

over in the drinking thread I mentioned wanting to get mezcal for my office so... I guess I want some things that have always been bad ime

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol at the sorry state of this thread where posters can't fathom the idea of being social with their coworkers and having a drink or two during or after work while also being respectful of people who don't drink

since i work at an office in minnesota we have a split of packers and vikings fans throughout the building. thankfully we are all brought together by laughing at tom brady and the new england patriots losing to the philadelphia eagles led by backup quarterback nick "big dick" foles

no drinking necessary

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

if i posted a de-doxxed (censored? whatever) version of my resume later, would anyone here care to read it and tell me why i'm such a fuckup so far or is that really kind of a professional service

never worked that out

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

applied for a position with a company that looked cool a few weeks ago, with whom I also had an inside referral. I had my first technical interview today and it went better than i expected it to go. i havent had an interview in a while, so i had been looking at sample sysadmin interview questions on github/reddit, and thank christ none of my questions were anything like the random fact recitations i mostly saw on there.

will probably have two-three more interviews (it sounds like they will be with managers though and perhaps less technical, which felt a little surprising to me) and not getting ahead of myself just yet, but i kind of wish i started applying around sooner.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 3, 2018

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ciaphas posted:

if i posted a de-doxxed (censored? whatever) version of my resume later, would anyone here care to read it and tell me why i'm such a fuckup so far or is that really kind of a professional service

never worked that out

i think posting resumes, even redacted ones, has historically been discouraged because of the ease of doxxing

essentially post at your own risk :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyone who wanted to hurt me could probably figure out who and where i am without any effort at this point

probably true for 90% of posters itt

that said, point taken, nevermind, i'll go without

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Ciaphas posted:

anyone who wanted to hurt me could probably figure out who and where i am without any effort at this point

post your resume. let us help you get out of that helljob

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ciaphas posted:

not yet, idk what makes a reputable recruiter vs one who's just going to add to my ever growing list of reasons to take a hammer to first my phone, then my head

every good third-party recruiter will volunteer the company they're trying to place for and will only apply you for positions you're qualified for (this last one seems obvious but plenty of recruiters are, in fact, that bad)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

raminasi posted:

every good third-party recruiter will volunteer the company they're trying to place for and will only apply you for positions you're qualified for (this last one seems obvious but plenty of recruiters are, in fact, that bad)

how do i know which ones 'will' do that without taking a chance on one, is my question

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ciaphas posted:

how do i know which ones 'will' do that without taking a chance on one, is my question

What are you afraid of happening with a bad recruiter? What's the scenario where you find out a recruiter is bad that is preventing you from even trying?

If they gently caress up, you can tell them you're done, or block the number and ghost them. Don't sign anything, that's a scam.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what is common etiquette for sending an email after an interview as a thank you? Is that considered old fashioned or too pestery now?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

my bitter bi rival posted:

what is common etiquette for sending an email after an interview as a thank you? Is that considered old fashioned or too pestery now?

It's fine, polite even, if a tiny bit old fashioned. just keep it to like 1 or 2 sentences and don't hold your breath waiting on a response.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

god 20 bootcamp grads do it daily in the gray forums version, you can probably redact your own info

if you're legit concerned (idk anything about clearances) feel free to PM me or send it on slack

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

my bitter bi rival posted:

It won't affect their decision eitherway, so hog wild.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Regarding drinks at the workplace -- I think if I saw that my first reaction would be to suspect a super toxic working environment.

I've only seen one place/department where there were drinks at work. That was a particular lab at the uni where I worked. They'd get out drinks for their lab meetings. Even if you were a guest you'd be given the 'are you a sissy or what' look if you declined. Bar one or two people it was an almost completely male lab, too, in a field that enjoys a pretty even gender split. The employed the only people who I've ever witnessed firing off pissed (active-) aggressive emails at each other. That is, postdocs writing each other emails about what rear end-kissing cocksuckers they are, while putting the neighboring labs, supervisors, grant coordinators and so forth in the cc (those were people in their mid-thirties).

The idea of super relaxed, buddy-buddy party labs turned stale really fast after meeting them. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of being convinced otherwise at some point.

whats with all the capitalization?

are you a fuckin narc, bro?

if youre a cop you have to tell me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

EVGA Longoria posted:

What are you afraid of happening with a bad recruiter? What's the scenario where you find out a recruiter is bad that is preventing you from even trying?

If they gently caress up, you can tell them you're done, or block the number and ghost them. Don't sign anything, that's a scam.

i guess if that's all i need to know, then... nothing! :shrug: I'll check around.

Speaking of checking around, fair enough, here, feel free to make fun of my resume (or give feedback)

(e) though i'll say in advance I have no idea why it's scrunched up to the top like that in the goog view, the first page is much more fully spaced out in libre

or why the pagination is wrong (or rather why i put in pagination for a 2pg doc in the first place lmao)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 4, 2018

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
the first line in your resume is extremely likely to be interpreted as bitching about your current management not giving your team enough resources. that's a bad look from the perspective of the manager doing the hiring.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oops. yep i can see that. i came at that line from the 'go getter addaptable to adversity like tight customer schedules or the whole no internet at desk thing but uh, drat :sigh:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I wouldn’t interpret it that way, but that might be because my company’s all-hands heavily featured the sentence “do more with what you have”

Ciaphas mention the not-using-the-Internet stuff. I know it’s normal for you, but working that way is such a tremendous handicap that any job requiring that will be pumped that you can do it, and any job not requiring that will be floored that it’s even a thing. you can phrase it as “without access to online resources” or something maybe?

Your skills section has stuff that should be in your experience section. usually the skills part should be languages, frameworks, etc. don’t mention how long you have with it (that becomes obvious in the work experience part), just say “c/c++ application development, lua, git, etc etc”. the skills part is basically a list of stuff that you can do professionally. you can mention hobby stuff too, but make it very clear that hobby stuff is hobby-level, not professional level. of course if you do eg rust as a hobby but have professional-level ability, it’s ok to put that as a proficiency.

do note that I’m telling you basically how to make your resume look more like mine. but my resume tends to be well received and the professional resume-whisperers I’ve showed it to at cons and stuff have basically said “it’s awesome don’t change it.” but if this sounds wrong for the jobs you’re applying to, you probably know your market much better than I do :)

if you want to chat about resume stuff (or have a look at what I have), I’m happy to share with ya - dm me or w/e

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ciaphas posted:

(e) though i'll say in advance I have no idea why it's scrunched up to the top like that in the goog view, the first page is much more fully spaced out in libre

I was convinced for a while that I wasn't getting responses because my resume I laid out so nicely in LibreOffice looked like absolute poo poo when viewed in Word. Started printing to PDF and eventually switched to LaTeX and finally got some interviews.

(It was probably a coincidence or just bad content.)

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
- your resume isn't pretty to look at. nested bullet lists, no formatting... at least bold the headers or something

- agreed about the skills section. also at least for me "C/C++" is a red flag. it doesn't even look like you wrote any C at your job?

- it's fine that you worked at the same company for 10 years, but is stuff like "wrote utility scripts to support customer operations" the most exciting thing you can write about it? it's also helpful to include the results of your work rather than just the work itself

- for your internship, you have 3 bullet points that contain 1 thing you did. and that one thing you end with "etc." this is a resume, your work experience is not something you should yadda yadda over

- i'd also probably remove the training section but idk

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you've worked one place for 10 years then this should be the primary focus of the resume, but yet you haven't dedicated much space to it.

• Your skills section seems like it should be somewhere in the work experience, or in a two line max headline at the top. This section should serve as nothing more than a quick glance to make sure your experience section is worth reading at all. Just list the techs you've worked with in a table or something, make sure to keep it tight.
  • For your work experience, add your job titles and the years you held them, and what your specific responsibilities were while you did.
  • I get that you want to be general because you don't have much space to explain ten freaking years, but it really is the details that are going to sell your application. Talk about specific projects that you are particularly proud of as concisely as you can. Mention specific occasions where you went above the call of duty to provide value to the company and quantify it if you can. Try not to bore them with words, get straight to the point. It's okay if this section ends up being long (like more than half a page) because this is ten years we're talking about, but try to imagine each bullet as a tweet. I know that this all seems contradictory too, but finding a balance can be done.
  • Add some style to the resume. I like to throw mine into latex and use the lmodern font with some subtle colorization on the headings, nothing fancy, but at least it stands out and is very easy on the eyes. You might want to do something different, but a bit of pizazz is good just as long as you don't compromise readability.

Overall though, it's not the worst resume I've seen (like some people actually rely indeed to format theirs), but it's still very bleh. See if your friends have their resumes published and look at them, then try to figure out what they are doing right that you aren't. I'm sure there's more that can be done, but those are the things that stood out the most for me

qhat fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 4, 2018

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
someone has already said it in some other phrasing, but there's a lot of discussion of _what_ you did but not the impact, complexity, challenge, level of success, nature of the responsibility, etc. it's good to be able to describe just nuts and bolts, but it seems like there would be some sorts of more narrative descriptions of what you did. I'm not encouraging you to weave your resume into a saga, but at least try to tell a little fragment of a story here and there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

thanks for all the feedback it frankly sounds like a rewrite is in order so I’ll sit down and have a second go this weekend

it’s kind of hard to mix in details without risking crossing the classification line (despite hating helljob I do take that seriously) but I’ll work on adding some pizazz

y’all mentioned impact of my work though and that is something I’ve never thought about, mostly because I did it because that’s what needed to be done for the mission to succeed, as it were? touting that as something incredibly special never felt right, which is why I didn’t. (not really arguing, just telling my view)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

y’all mentioned impact of my work though and that is something I’ve never thought about, mostly because I did it because that’s what needed to be done for the mission to succeed, as it were? touting that as something incredibly special never felt right, which is why I didn’t. (not really arguing, just telling my view)

That's because you currently work there. It's special to be someone who consistently does not blow projects to hell and understands the impact of the work they do.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I will never stop stanning for Triplebyte they got me many interviews and now do more than literally just San Francisco so if you want a recruiter give them a shot it might suck rear end or it might be really good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

qhat posted:

That's because you currently work there. It's special to be someone who consistently does not blow projects to hell and understands the impact of the work they do.

fair point

i'm still going to have difficulties teasing out a useful way to state my impact without running afoul of the law though, i'm sorry i keep harping on that but :shrug:

Bloody posted:

I will never stop stanning for Triplebyte they got me many interviews and now do more than literally just San Francisco so if you want a recruiter give them a shot it might suck rear end or it might be really good

thanks, i'll open a tab. lmk if you want me to put in some referral info or anything, i have to redo the resume this weekend first so it'll be a bit

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah it sucks working for a secret org. I had a similar problem about 6 years ago and it's also one of the major reasons I left that world. That being said, there's always unclassified things you can say that will at least get your foot in the door. It's also just all bullshit anyway to make the shortlist, just improving the style of your resume will likely improve your chances significantly.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
yeah even aside from impacts you can talk about responsibilities in a vague but conversational way: "i was a senior member of a team delivering a high impact project developed primarily in c++ over the course of 18 months. i participated in project planning, code reviews and was involved in mentoring junior developers. i was the lead developer responsible for a sub-project embedding lua integrations to allow end users to..."

slipping in anything that covers these points makes you more interesting:
automated testing
performance/security testing
ci/cd build pipeline stuff
code reviews
mentoring
aglie workflows
involvement in planning/grooming/etc.
stakeholder management
presenting outside of your team
taking (or being involved in) technical architectural decisions
any responsibilities beyond writing code to spec

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Destroyenator posted:

involvement in planning/grooming/etc.

can confirm i routinely eat insects picked from coworkers' fur op

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
might not make it at my #1 because I bombed an OO design question

:rip:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ploft-shell crab posted:

might not make it at my #1 because I bombed an OO design question

:rip:

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
my company just opened up a position for head of IT infrastructure. it would be the perfect way to get out of the javascript code mines and out from underneath my current "meh" boss and move to working on cool tech under a kick rear end boss. I already reached out to the guy asking if he'd consider me for the position. I haven't heard back though and now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if they don't want me in that job and that's why they opened it up publicly and oh man maybe I don't have the experience they want I'm a terrible failure aaaaaaag :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oooookay, as promised i just finished spending a few hours on resume and i think it's a lot better but i could use feedback on a couple things

- i have no idea how to "jazz" it up further or what, my sense of style has abandoned me. i wonder if a bit of blue on key phrases would be good or something?
- That second page is loving dire, should I just delete it or just trim down to one page (what should i wipe out in this case)
- other feedback?

there were a couple more things i wanted to slip in but couldn't really justify their presence, namely that i've got instincts like whoa for memory problems and debugging in general, but i guess i can bring those up at interviews instead

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 7, 2018

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

your language is bad

“hired to assist...” is lame

“rewrote legacy ADA95 application in C++ as part of an 8-10 person team” conveys the same information, except it says you did stuff. your version says they hired you to get coffee, and you may or may not have done that

basically all your work experience reads like this. don’t lie or mislead, but don’t shy away from being like “yo I did a hard thing and did it well”

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
that resume looks a hundred times more impressive, great job man

i dont have any experience in the c/c# domain but i feel like you're conveying a lot better now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

corlas right - I stand by my rec re: language but v2 is way better than v1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You've wasted a lot of white space at the top on your address. Shove it on to one line, or better yet, remove it entirely. They only really care about your email and phone number. It looks like you could definitely get this cleanly onto one page, rather than one and a quarter awkward pages.