Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That actress playing Clarissa is also in the Magnum reboot. It probably means nothing. They probably wrapped the season by the time they'd be required on the Expanse set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They also thought the show was cancelled, regardless of multi-season contracts. :shrug:

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Eiba posted:

I was confused by the initial post as well, but apparently he was saying Havelok's actor is going to be in something else, so perhaps they'll bring back Octavia Muss instead.

I didn't even know they were rebooting Magnum PI.

Jay Hernandez is 5'8"
Tom Selleck is 6'3"

That'll be interesting. Magnum was such an imposing character.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Finally finished Persepolis Rising and all I want is more weird PM stuff gimme gimme gimme.

What was the space that was "boiling" around the gate? WHAT'S THE EVIL BLACK BULLET DOING ON THE HEART OF THE TEMPEST?!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Here's a pic from the set of the colony planet.

http://imgur.com/Jz6rBf5

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Here's a pic from the set of the colony planet.

http://imgur.com/Jz6rBf5

Huh, definitely not what I expected. But that's cool!

I'm really interested in seeing how they depict the people/ships getting swallowed by the gate, and the consciousness-pausing that the black bullets cause :allears:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's way more cramped than I imagined when reading the book. I just hope they don't spend too much time there. There isn't enough PM magic happening over latter books, and I fear it'll lose some viewers, if it goes through with that. The latest book seems to go wild in that regard, but I'm not there yet (I suppose that includes those black bullets).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cool! I like the "pile of shipping crates" look. I wonder if it's cramped because they don't want any of that grass in the background. Normal Earth grass would feel weird. I feel like this show would go to enough trouble that the alien life really looks alien, even if it's just a filter or something... and then they'd want to make sure they didn't have to make every shot on the planet an effects shot so squeeze your shipping crates right up to each other.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Eiba posted:

Cool! I like the "pile of shipping crates" look. I wonder if it's cramped because they don't want any of that grass in the background. Normal Earth grass would feel weird. I feel like this show would go to enough trouble that the alien life really looks alien, even if it's just a filter or something... and then they'd want to make sure they didn't have to make every shot on the planet an effects shot so squeeze your shipping crates right up to each other.

Well, they could just put some huts in a forest near Vancouver, the universally-accepted alien planet environment.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The grass is black on Ilus

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Phi230 posted:

The grass is black on Ilus

Obligatory: There is no grass on Ilus because it isn't real. :nallears:

They did have some concept art of the Roci landing: it looked rocky/normal grass.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just hope it's not boring

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love the hexagonal conexes (conhexes). They tessellate better than squares!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I think I recall in the books they had more proper housing, but honestly it makes way more sense to use shipping crates as your initial building spaces, cause you'd have a ton of them and plenty would need to be emptied instead of used as storage.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm not sure where exactly the set is, but it's in the Toronto area.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My gut tells me that's the Lithium mine. It looks very miney

I hope they have multiple sets

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Travel halfway across the universe to live in a shipping can

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Have they made the shipping containers hexagonal, because they are from the future?

I am not entirely sure what the utility is of a hexagonal cross section over square. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be harder to stack and dismantle?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also way less useful as a floorplan.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It allows you to "stack" crates around the ship is the best I can think of. What were the crates in season two? The ones Miller and crew rode in.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Collateral posted:

Have they made the shipping containers hexagonal, because they are from the future?

I am not entirely sure what the utility is of a hexagonal cross section over square. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be harder to stack and dismantle?
I bet you didn't like the clipped corners of BSG paper either, you philistine.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Kingtheninja posted:

It allows you to "stack" crates around the ship is the best I can think of. What were the crates in season two? The ones Miller and crew rode in.

Looked like bulk shipping containers, iirc. One even had FedEx stamped on the side.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The ghetto boarding pods made of FedEx containers were also hexagonal, so I guess cargo containers are just hexagons in the future. Might be better for stacking in three dimensions with no gravity somehow, I dunno I don't live in space.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can stack more hexagonal shapes in a circle around a cylinder, whilst not being as awkward as a cylinder itself.
It's not a bad compromise between volume and cumbersomeness.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Probably some value in the hexagonal shape giving more sides surface area too, spread out force around more sides. I'm just picturing them snugly fitting together in a honeycomb-ish shape.

It works well for me as a "things are different in the future" dealie.

I'm also hoping for super alien landscapes and creatures, but if they scale back on that to keep the effects budget down I won't hold it against them. Since Ilus is kind of one of the big test colonies it makes sense it'd be more earthlike than a lot of the crazier ones. I was a sucker for all that "this alien stuff is so weird and we can't eat it" stuff though, and I liked book 4 more than most I'm sure, so here's hoping they can string together a nice fun story out of it.

Things were just super high stakes with Earth and Mars at war, then the crazy Gate stuff, I'm fine with a cooler for awhile before things get crazier than ever because Humans are bad.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm not a special effects expert but would it be super expensive to just make all the grass black? IIRC that's the defining feature of Ilus, all the grass is black instead of green, and even just that one thing would probably make it look sufficiently alien.

E: Also the clouds are all green, and that obviously becomes a major plot point in the last act.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

NowonSA posted:

Probably some value in the hexagonal shape giving more sides surface area too, spread out force around more sides. I'm just picturing them snugly fitting together in a honeycomb-ish shape.

It works well for me as a "things are different in the future" dealie.

I'm also hoping for super alien landscapes and creatures, but if they scale back on that to keep the effects budget down I won't hold it against them. Since Ilus is kind of one of the big test colonies it makes sense it'd be more earthlike than a lot of the crazier ones. I was a sucker for all that "this alien stuff is so weird and we can't eat it" stuff though, and I liked book 4 more than most I'm sure, so here's hoping they can string together a nice fun story out of it.

Things were just super high stakes with Earth and Mars at war, then the crazy Gate stuff, I'm fine with a cooler for awhile before things get crazier than ever because Humans are bad.

nah we have the same forces in planes, the only odd shaped ones are the fit sides.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm not a special effects expert but would it be super expensive to just make all the grass black? IIRC that's the defining feature of Ilus, all the grass is black instead of green, and even just that one thing would probably make it look sufficiently alien.

E: Also the clouds are all green, and that obviously becomes a major plot point in the last act.

It never looks good. It'd be easier to just lay out a poo poo-ton of black AstroTurf than digitally paint the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Decided to do a rewatch of S3, still impressed at how well they adapted semi-realistic space combat to the screen.

and how great Drummer's actress is.

• Locked thread