Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

iospace posted:

How was Pratchett? Not necessarily sci-fi but definitely big with nerds.

i don't know much about the man himself, but i just recently went on a binge of his books (he was prolific) and i'd say he was pretty solid. technically he spent a lot of time on a sympathetic benevolent dictator character, but otherwise just came across as distrustful of politicians, business men, and revolutionaries. maaaaybe a little too fond of cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"if you compare this $50k car to this $20k you will see that it nearly doubled the revenue!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ciaphas posted:

i was just thinking, i wonder if that's even sales or "sales" (preorders assembled and sitting in a loving desert parking lot because tesla is a fart)

(edit) actual question, if there's any truth to my parenthetical like I assume there is, would that actually be provable by/to us lowly humans, or is that kind of thing sufficient camouflage without something like a lawsuit?

it's tesla's global sales of the model 3, by revenue, compared to u.s. sales from other automakers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*sells someone a $1 bill for 90 cents*

"ah-ha! i made more revenue than that idiot who sold two dimes for 30 cents!"

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Endless Mike posted:

*sells someone a $1 bill for 90 cents*

"ah-ha! i made more revenue than that idiot who sold two dimes for 30 cents!"

"and we'll make it up on volume!"

*ecomom.coms, hard, busting the toilet up big time*

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

graph posted:

remember when quark sat on their rear end for years and got destroyed by adobe

hard to believe that adobe of all companies was the better customer experience

but holy poo poo did quark have it out for everyone who wasn’t quark

I think the copy protection on their Apple III software still hasn’t been cracked and one of those tools was something that let you install software on a hard disk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you can blame le corbusier too but he at least did other work

his furniture should’ve landed him in The Hague

wish I could find a link to the mid-2000s blog post where someone bought an LC2? armchair and found it was too low and deep for anyone to sit in comfortably, but his dog loved it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"this amazing $non_building_object was designed by an architect!!" is a running joke among industrial designers

It's kinda like how surgeons assume they are naturally good pilots, drivers, etc

Here is Zaha Hadid's car

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BobHoward posted:

tbh project orion doesn’t quite belong in that list, it was a serious (if utterly insane, in that special height of the cold war way) proposal

there was probably never anything to it but napkin math, but it would have been pro quality napkin math, and the drawing doesn’t attempt to pretend the details are already worked out.

it’s probably the only known high acceleration drive system suitable for launching a large payload on an interstellar mission that doesn’t require hand waving massive leaps forward in several technologies. you have to not care about all the environmental destruction caused by launching it even once, or the... uh... international treaty concerns caused by same, but there’s no intrinsic reason it can’t work afaik

while jerry pournelle is utterly terrible, and the book itself wasn’t so great, Niven & Pournelle’s Orion and X-ray laser space battle near the end of Footfall is pretty drat awesome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

while jerry pournelle is utterly terrible, and the book itself wasn’t so great, Niven & Pournelle’s Orion and X-ray laser space battle near the end of Footfall is pretty drat awesome

folks getting all hosed up by ruptured steam lines in the orion powered space shuttle dreadnought

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also explosive fusion pumped gamma-ray lasers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

also explosive fusion pumped gamma-ray lasers

I thought they were X-ray

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

I thought they were X-ray

nah, the fusion pumped one shot lasers in footfall were gamma-ray.

mote in gods eye and gripping hand had x-ray lasers

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

eschaton posted:

footfall had one of the least subtle political rants this side of an ayn rand novel in it, when the gentle hippie character has a revelation

quote:

"The damned aliens, they're terraforming Earth to their own needs! They've thrown an asteroid in the Indian Ocean! And I was trying to stop atomic plants. I should have been screaming for atomic plants to power laser rockets! I tried to stop the Space Shuttle, drat me for a fool. They've smashed every environment on Earth! drat you," he shouted into the sky. "Pour fire on the Earth, pile bodies in pyramids! We can live anywhere! We'll hide in the deserts and mountain peaks and the Arctic ice cap, and one day we'll come forth to kill you all!

footfall also has an african astronaut (part of the ussr space program) who was mostly just useless and s-s-s-scared of everything

the president summons a council of americas five greatest sf authors (all of which a thinly-veiled versions of niven and pournelles irl colleagues) who manage to be right about everything

the steam powered orion dreadnaught fight at the end did whip rear end, though

everything ive read or heard about pratchett indicates that he was a genuinely solid dude, and asimov was a world class creeper/groper who loved nothing more than sneaking up on pretty girls and honking their boobs

FMguru fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 5, 2018

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sagebrush posted:

"this amazing $non_building_object was designed by an architect!!" is a running joke among industrial designers

It's kinda like how surgeons assume they are naturally good pilots, drivers, etc

Here is Zaha Hadid's car

Just say "Phillipe Starck" and watch them slink off into the shadows.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i read a niven book recently. it was about a wizard . there was a female character. all she does is be really hot and think the wizard is really great and have a lot of sex with him. i'm not exaggerating, those are the three things. whole book

i'm scared to re-read anything else he wrote now for fear of the things 12yo me wouldn't have noticed

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also pratchett was good at writing fun comedy stories, and asimov is only considered acceptable because the bar for science fiction is so incredibly low. like, he doesn’t have any women “impaling” themselves on dicks, but he definitely wrote a guy saying “magnificent” when his lover took off her shirt

asimov’s short stories are p good but his novels aren’t really worth anyone’s time except to see what the fuss is about

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

we listened to Ringworld on audiobook and it was fun

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also I refuse to reread simmons’s hyperion because I loved it so much as a kid and I’m like 99% sure it won’t hold up

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i'm scared to re-read anything else he wrote now for fear of the things 12yo me wouldn't have noticed

the correct play

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/isaiah_kb/status/1047997199819427841

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if he stops tweeting the terrorists shorts win

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

if he stops tweeting the terrorists shorts win

also if he keeps tweeting

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

President Beep posted:

a lot of those people were both!!
and they had lovely backwards ideas with little cognizance of their social implications! good old times.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

also I refuse to reread simmons’s hyperion because I loved it so much as a kid and I’m like 99% sure it won’t hold up

listen to it on audiobook, the sex scenes are hilariously cringe

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Achmed Jones posted:

i really liked heinlein's "the moon is a harsh mistress" as a kid and i definitely know that one's gonna be bad

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Here is Zaha Hadid's car

Someone should actually build one of these and try to pass any inspection/certification wirh it.

Although it would also be funny to see the companies try to sell you a wheeled coffin.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Again the people investing their life savings into $TSLA

what's wrong with these dudes? This is some galactic brain level of irony.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao they should have hedged by shorting to each other

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

or at least bought some put options when he started his twitter meltdown

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

infernal machines posted:

i don't know much about the man himself, but i just recently went on a binge of his books (he was prolific) and i'd say he was pretty solid. technically he spent a lot of time on a sympathetic benevolent dictator character, but otherwise just came across as distrustful of politicians, business men, and revolutionaries. maaaaybe a little too fond of cops

yes but he put the sam vimes boots theory of socioeconomic unfairness into the mouth of his most important cop character, which puts him well ahead of the game imo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BobHoward posted:

yes but he put the sam vimes boots theory of socioeconomic unfairness into the mouth of his most important cop character, which puts him well ahead of the game imo

also he is solidly on the side that police should not be the same as soldiers

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eschaton posted:

listen to it on audiobook, the sex scenes are hilariously cringe

I just read it the other year, only remember one and it was in the detective-noir-ish story, so I thought it was supposed to be campy?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Why libertarians like the "unlimited right of contract":

"In exchange for performing warranty service, you promise you won't talk to the NHTSA/NTSB"
"You can't sue us when you pay us for a car and we fail to deliver it for the next several months"

mewse
May 2, 2006

this is why they should be using blockchain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i spent $80k on a car and now i have no money!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Achmed Jones posted:

also pratchett was good at writing fun comedy stories, and asimov is only considered acceptable because the bar for science fiction is so incredibly low. like, he doesn’t have any women “impaling” themselves on dicks, but he definitely wrote a guy saying “magnificent” when his lover took off her shirt

asimov’s short stories are p good but his novels aren’t really worth anyone’s time except to see what the fuss is about

one of pratchett's early novels was a parody of ringworld called strata, a scifi story unrelated to Discworld but set on a strange kind of "disc world". i read it well before i'd even heard of niven, and when i came to read ringworld i felt like it was an inferior rip-off. i haven't read strata in a long time and being an early novel it was probably a little rough, but it's pretty fun and doesn't have any bad sex scenes or empty-headed women who boobily follow the hero around that i can remember

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ahem, ~*bald headed*~ woman.

...unless you mean the one that was 1/10th of the protagonist's age, that disappeared after the first 3rd of the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Is there no right to withdraw from a contract in the US? What the hell.

If you buy a car here and the company "loses it" you can go to the dealer say "sucks to be you, gimme back my money" and it's done. Hell you can still do so up to 14 days after delivery without any reason.