Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Tbf Justice should've just retired Stress after the A Cross the Universe version, any other mix feels like a crime in comparison.

That said, WWW is really drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pirate Jet posted:

Your opinion is acknowledged but I riposte with the fact that the version of Stress on WWW is a sin against God and should send the group to music jail.

I put it to you that Stress has never been good.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Just got my WWW vinyl in the mail and holy poo poo this sounds incredible. Thanks for recommending it so hard, definitely wouldn't want to miss out on this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Odesza! :circlefap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz_YPczxzZc

Pretty sure they played this at their Lollapalooza set that I watched the stream of. It's nice to have a studio version now though!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

They closed their EF 15 set with it. It ruled.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you ordered Monsters Exist via PledgeMusic, your digital downloads will be up now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Live Orbital set on Facebook right now, getting near the end but I'm told it will be available to watch after.

Also most of the new album is up on the official YT channel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wow. So I've been a fan of post-rock for over a decade, and Caspian are one of my absolute favorite bands of that genre (I even played a show with them years ago when I was in a band!), but I never expected them to have any kind of overlap with the EDM world because they're just such different things. And yet San Holo made a track with them for his upcoming first album.

I love it :swoon:

It doesn't seem like they should be able to work together, but somehow he totally made it work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0bCCHTCvJY

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Justice has just released the WWW version of Love S.O.S. along with a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6tNlYI3MdY

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

San Holo's album1 dropped an hour ago and I'm super into it. It's more melodic than a lot of EDM, it has this really positive/hopeful sound for the most part and there's effects-soaked guitars and string sections and other instruments you don't often hear in this genre (in addition to heavy bass and the kinds of drum patterns he's always done well).

Kinda reminds me of Illenium's latest album, and much like that was one of my favorite albums of last year, this is already one of my favorites of this year after just one listen! And Surface is absolutely in my top favorite tracks of the year. I haven't been able to get that song out of my head ever since I first heard it on Monday. It still gives me chills listening to it on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyidQWnSjEw

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Prodigy chat: Their new one is Light Up The Sky, which is... better? I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAm48rkUBl4

Meanwhile someone found another version of Shoot Down from AONO, which makes at least four now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrsq_lIPrhE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HJB posted:

Prodigy chat: Their new one is Light Up The Sky, which is... better? I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAm48rkUBl4
Yeah, I like this one a lot, but I also liked Need Some1 a lot too. No Tourists is probably gonna end up being one of my favorite albums of the year.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Prodigy innovating by recycling tracks again I see (Light up the sky). Fans are gonna love it because it's the same poo poo in a slightly different package though...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is a shift from The Glitch Mob's style for sure, but I really dig this remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dy7CQ9v0_c

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m going to see Armin tonight at Echostage, and Sunnery James & Ryan Marciano are opening for him which is kind of crazy since they’re headliners themselves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Prodigy innovating by recycling tracks again I see (Light up the sky). Fans are gonna love it because it's the same poo poo in a slightly different package though...

Let me guess without clicking on it - repeated driving synth guitar line, brief pause, someone shouts the title?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

Let me guess without clicking on it - repeated driving synth guitar line, brief pause, someone shouts the title?

Ha, you think they're lazy enough to have a formula these days? You're not 100% right but man that track could be off any of the last 3 albums, there's an awful lot of pilfering of old presets and sounds going on. If I were a cynic I'd say Howlett is raiding a pre-made folder of tunes and sending them to the label for release.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Does it really matter that they keep doing the same-ish things if they sound hype as gently caress though? :shobon:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well yeah, it's loving boring. If everything sounds similar what's the point in making anything new?

I've defended them in the past but when they were interviewed by The Guardian and they panned the entire dance music industry saying "nobody's making anything new..." it's a bit rich to just release the stuff that sound similar to that which you've put out before. I hate hypocrisy.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Does it really matter that they keep doing the same-ish things if they sound hype as gently caress though? :shobon:

Of course not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean I'm all for innovation and developing sounds and such, but The Prodigy's one of those bands that has a sound I absolutely love and one that I don't mind them not changing much.

They make music that consistently excites me no matter how similar it may be to something they've done in the past. They've just perfected their aesthetic in my mind and I don't think they're even capable of putting out something I actively dislike at this point.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Not to add fuel to the fire but apparently this is going to be on the album, which is just their remix of 99 Problems but with air horns.

But honestly Light Up The Sky is growing on me, it's disjointed and that intro sample is about ten octaves too high, but the beat does the job, and the little "light up"/"lighter" shout reminds me of the DJ SS tune, which is nice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I mean I'm all for innovation and developing sounds and such, but The Prodigy's one of those bands that has a sound I absolutely love and one that I don't mind them not changing much.

My issue is they themselves say that nobody is innovating. ...only to go about and release stuff that sounds like B-sides or VIPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/17/the-prodigy-the-day-is-my-enemy-oasis-blur

quote:

“Dance music at the moment is so loving dead,” spits Liam Howlett, still with his trademark Romford Thom Yorke mullet – and still with his trademark venom. “Producers are too safe, they rely on being retro. It’s loving bollocks. There’s no pushing forward any more.”

Meanwhile, Maxim – the more relaxed of the trio – interjects with the kind of soundbites that music editors dream of. “Yeah, the dance scene has flatlined and we’re the spike.”

“I don’t hear anyone out there that sounds like us,” boasts Keith. “They can try but it’s in the sonics, the whole carcass of the song. The way it attacks you is so well engineered. No one else can do that. They don’t have the ability to make that noise.”

It's the ego in this review that made me realise how up their own arseholes they'd disappeared. Liam's comment about nobody pushing forward just cements the fact he hasn't actually listened to any music in the past 10 years, there's LOADS of new and exciting things out there but he doesn't care because he's only listened to the most middle of the road stuff that gets played on the radio. Maxim's comment about the dance scene is even funnier because if anything, dance music has become insanely popular in recent years to the point where we're hiring out loving cruise liners to hold week long music festivals. Keith's comment rounds it out nicely, Liam mentions everyone's too safe, relying on being retro and then Keith says nobody sounds like them which suggests he knows they've not exactly strayed very far from their formula (is this not that very same 'being safe' Liam was on about?!).

First 3 albums were great but after that I hit my limit and everything that followed has been the same old.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Honestly the prodigy don't have to do poo poo and they are completely entitled to that opinion. They are cemented as legends no matter what any one thinks of their recent output. Liam has forgotten more about music than most producers know.

I think the fact that they are still alive is a miracle given how hard they partied. You shouldn't be looking at a 30 year old act to be pushing the boundaries. Nobody has ever taken their style and improved on it which is why they are still so popular.

Back in the 90's dance music was counter culture. Illegal raves getting tear gassed by riot police. Now it's just pop music. I think they come from completely different place.

It reminded me of this (which I still have the cd).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jippa posted:

They are cemented as legends no matter what any one thinks of their recent output. Liam has forgotten more about music than most producers know.

First bit I agree with, I'm never going to suggest what they produced to begin with wasn't wildly ahead of the game for a long while. The second bit sounds a little too much like you're gargling his nuts though, he definitely knows a lot about production, it's just that he no longer puts in the effort.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jippa posted:

Back in the 90's dance music was counter culture. Illegal raves getting tear gassed by riot police. Now it's just pop music. I think they come from completely different place.

The mid 2000s dubstep craze killed off that underground/mainstream divide by effectively turning electronic music into a meme. Once the world and his dog started downloading sample packs and putting together tunefully-competent tracks in mere days, when it was historically a geeky pursuit that took time and effort to get right, that old era died out. AONO and IMD were released either side of that and the difference is night and day.

It became fashionable because it became relatable, the old "techno" moniker faded away, to be replaced by the hip, modern "EDM" that sits in the thread title. In less sarcastic terms:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

he no longer puts in the effort.

Because if your other popular peers aren't, why should you? Liam lets his brand and his archives do the work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HJB posted:

It became fashionable because it became relatable, the old "techno" moniker faded away, to be replaced by the hip, modern "EDM" that sits in the thread title. In less sarcastic terms:
Amusingly enough, I don't consider The Prodigy "EDM" at all. I mean, maybe in the most broad sense, but they weren't one of the acts I had in mind when I made this thread. I love 'em but I didn't expect them to be discussed here, though I'd rather discuss them here than not discuss them at all in NMD. They just have a very different sound/brand than the likes of most EDM acts nowadays, despite undoubtedly being an influence on at least some of them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

HJB posted:

The mid 2000s dubstep craze killed off that underground/mainstream divide by effectively turning electronic music into a meme. Once the world and his dog started downloading sample packs and putting together tunefully-competent tracks in mere days, when it was historically a geeky pursuit that took time and effort to get right, that old era died out. AONO and IMD were released either side of that and the difference is night and day.

This is absurd and sounds like the extent of your knowledge of contemporary dance music starts and ends at Glastonbury or Electric Daisy Carnival and poo poo.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'm talking about popular music though? I get that it's low hanging fruit for easy scoff points but I'm talking about the mainstream in mainstream terms. Feel free to add literally anything to the discussion rather than running off to your m8s, m8.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2aWug-unKs

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

HJB posted:

I'm talking about popular music though? I get that it's low hanging fruit for easy scoff points but I'm talking about the mainstream in mainstream terms. Feel free to add literally anything to the discussion rather than running off to your m8s, m8.

Why are you talking about a mid-2000s dubstep craze? I'm assuming you're in the UK and the idea that it became mainstream there before 2008 is silly (and really if we want to talk about it entering a 'meme' stage where people only know about it from the worst interpretations of it, Skrillex didn't become a thing until like 2010).

I don't even know what you mean with this underground/mainstream divide. Are you talking about Eurodance like Corona, Black Box, etc that had radio hits but were firmly in the club tradition? I mean jesus, look at that vid Jippa just posted. Prodigy playing on a stadium anthem stage jumping around like it's a rock show to thousands of people in 1996. I am just utterly confused about this incoherent underground/mainstream divide that apparently once existed (like underground popular music?) but is now dead.

Anyways god bless EDM for getting people to stop calling any music with a synthesizer in it techno and for corralling everyone who loves to go to arena shows away from the club/warehouse/wherever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont consider myself an electronic dance music expert or anything but as a person who was actually alive, aware of popular culture, and attending high school in the mid 1990's i can assure you that electronic music act The Prodigy's song Firestarter was, in that period, about as far from "underground" as it was possible for a song to get. it was on MTV like 200 times a day. there were schools that played it during football games ffs.

and no dance music itself (electronic or otherwise) was not primarily "counterculture" in the 90's it was quite widely popular. there were tons of massive, mainstream dance hits during the decade wtf are you guys talking about?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 12, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNBBFGwiUQ4

Turns out the entire new Glitch Mob album is getting remixed and will be out on the 26th. Between this and that Salva remix I posted earlier, it's possible that I might like this remix album even more than the original!

See Without Eyes had potential but it didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped it would. These two remixes so far have definitely caught my attention more. They seem to take the strengths of the original album and up the energy more.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Mike_V posted:

Why are you talking about a mid-2000s dubstep craze? I'm assuming you're in the UK and the idea that it became mainstream there before 2008 is silly (and really if we want to talk about it entering a 'meme' stage where people only know about it from the worst interpretations of it, Skrillex didn't become a thing until like 2010).

I recall it starting to really gather pace around 06-07, though maybe I'm conflating it with drum & bass getting serious airtime by that point. Late 2000s is probably more accurate. The 'meme' thing was really more from when Doctor/Inspector Dubplate and the like were starting to churn out seriously gimmicky dubstep uploads - maybe that was more 08-09.

Mike_V posted:

I don't even know what you mean with this underground/mainstream divide. Are you talking about Eurodance like Corona, Black Box, etc that had radio hits but were firmly in the club tradition? I mean jesus, look at that vid Jippa just posted. Prodigy playing on a stadium anthem stage jumping around like it's a rock show to thousands of people in 1996. I am just utterly confused about this incoherent underground/mainstream divide that apparently once existed (like underground popular music?) but is now dead.

TBH I ballsed up my point there, that's fair. I was picking up on Jippa's point that pop music is largely electronic these days. Sort of a response to Earwicker's post too, but while of course dance music was huge in its various guises, it was still considered an alternative to the big 'fad' of the time, be it Britpop, boy/girl bands, or whatever. Now it's definitely the norm, and "organic" instrumentation (for want of a better term) is in the minority.

I didn't mean it to come across like I thought the underground had died, or that there isn't still a fringe there, of course there is.

Anyway, we all agree this is bad, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_z_lZ69pJ0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HJB posted:

I know I'm gonna sound like a Prodigy stan, but I can even get behind this one. I'm a big Death Grips fan and this sounds like if The Prodigy produced a Death Grips-lite track. Ho99o9 isn't as good as Death Grips, but they absolutely have a similar vibe and it's a different and interesting vibe for Prodigy to latch onto.

Also, the way the dude says FIYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR reminds me a ton of how Trent Reznor says BEFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAH in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0KOy6H-s6w

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 12, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Here's another early 90s band who give you exactly what you expect every time, but unlike the Prodigy didn't become embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5mf4LV7Jw

Jedit fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 13, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

HJB posted:

These new tracks all sound like b-sides from 2/3 albums ago.

*edit: I realise this discussion is boring but then so are these tracks. I've often wondered about 'fans' of stuff and what it would actually take for them to admit that maybe the thing they're a fan of isn't as good as it once was. There was a point in my life I bought everything Nine Inch Nails put out but by With Teeth I was out, that album was poo poo and stuff that followed was equally as bad. I feel like this isn't the norm when it comes to fandom, the default position is just accept being spoon-fed poo poo because you're already invested in the club.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 15, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HJB posted:

while of course dance music was huge in its various guises, it was still considered an alternative to the big 'fad' of the time, be it Britpop, boy/girl bands, or whatever

no this is still way off imo. tracks like Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) and La Macarena were some of the biggest songs of the 90's, to the point where for many people of my generation they symbolize the entire decade, they were not an "alternative" to anything but massively mainstream of their own accord, and their instrumentation is entirely electronic.

they were not marketed as "electronic music" but that doesn't change the fact that the popular music of the time was no more "organic" than it is today

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 15, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: I realise this discussion is boring but then so are these tracks. I've often wondered about 'fans' of stuff and what it would actually take for them to admit that maybe the thing they're a fan of isn't as good as it once was. There was a point in my life I bought everything Nine Inch Nails put out but by With Teeth I was out, that album was poo poo and stuff that followed was equally as bad. I feel like this isn't the norm when it comes to fandom, the default position is just accept being spoon-fed poo poo because you're already invested in the club.
Well in the case of Nine Inch Nails, for example, they're one of my favorite bands of all time and I've loved pretty much everything they've put out (if you quit right after With Teeth, you missed Year Zero which is one of their best albums by far), but while I could appreciate that they were getting more experimental on their latest album, I wasn't a fan of much of it. Usually if they put out a release, it goes on my favorite albums of the year list, but this one won't and that's okay. They've put out so much other material that I adore.

Like I said earlier, Prodigy is just still putting out stuff that gets me hyped up even if it sounds similar to what they've been doing for years. Sure, the tracks from this new album probably won't set the world on fire like Firestarter or Smack My Bitch Up, but they don't have to in order to still be fun. And if the singles released so far are any indication, No Tourists actually will be on my favorite albums of the year list.

It's not like I'm incapable of being critical of artists I love, but there's nothing wrong with continuing to be excited by an artist sticking to a formula if the formula is solid and I've been a fan of that formula for a long time.

e: Also, since this is the EDM thread after all, Netsky has a new track out with David Guetta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldExLvib3Ts

Netsky started out as a strictly drum n bass artist I loving loved nearly a decade ago but I'm not even really sure what genre he falls under anymore. He still does some DNB, but also EDM, indie pop, electro pop and other stuff too. He's kind of all over the place now.

His last album that came out in 2016 was amazing and I listened to it so much that year. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should revisit that one. I'd def recommend it to anyone ITT who hasn't heard it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-jOT-j9c9k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFK0W1uRlvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITWA-rG4Toc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyA8EQxVGwY

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's not like I'm incapable of being critical of artists I love, but there's nothing wrong with continuing to be excited by an artist sticking to a formula if the formula is solid and I've been a fan of that formula for a long time.

There's plenty wrong with an artist getting stuck in a rut, though. If you don't evolve your formula and your music over time, then you start to die.

Case in point: Orbital's track Satan, which has been a mainstay of their set ever since its release but has constantly been revised and now sounds very different.

The original (1991):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vKKNzAbJs

The movie remix (1997):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofamFBk92Pk

"Dracula AD1972" revision (2002):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkl5qIi30yw

Beelzedub (2012):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwuAJ5QAbb0

The current version (2017-):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkQgXZxJ3PI

And that's just the major revisions. It doesn't include the extended "festival mix" played from at least 2009-11, the two alternate versions from the different releases of the 1991 EP, or 2001's Beelzebeat.