Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

mewse posted:

this is why they should be using blockchain

good news

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmuskxz/status/1048004332719890432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Combat Theory posted:

Is there no right to withdraw from a contract in the US? What the hell.

If you buy a car here and the company "loses it" you can go to the dealer say "sucks to be you, gimme back my money" and it's done. Hell you can still do so up to 14 days after delivery without any reason.

:911:freedom:911:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

posting on the yospos page

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqM_-p_wK_U&hd=1

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your car company's ceo is a piece of poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Your
Ostentatious
Sedan is a
Piece
Of
poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
posting on the YosPos page

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/cnetnews/status/1047883944870469632?s=21

can’t wait for ole’ musky to call everyone at consumer reports short selling pedos

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Theory posted:

If you buy a car here and the company "loses it" you can go to the dealer say "sucks to be you, gimme back my money" and it's done. Hell you can still do so up to 14 days after delivery without any reason.

Well you can sue

For the time being Tesla likely has more courtroom stamina than the average baghodler

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Toady posted:

i thought he already pulled out of it according to the NYT

you misread that article (and i did too originally), it was talking about before they accepted the deal formally. he was furious and said he'd quit if they accepted, the board backed him, then presumably someone told him he could go to jail if it went to court and he begrudgingly accepted.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Cruise is the system I’m most excited about. I doubt anyone will get full driverless in the next decade but looking for my next vehicle to be an EV with a reliable driver assist that doesn’t plow me into stationary emergency vehicles

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

what's going on is likely illegal, but the US legal system moves very slowly when it comes to corporate misconduct and our regulatory authorities hate to do anything more than a slap on the wrist. tech companies here routinely violate all sorts of laws, comfortable in the fact that it'll usually take many years for any sort of consequences to catch up, and when they do, you can reach a settlement for a tiny fraction of what you gained from that illegal behavior. note that Elon was perfectly safe until he messed with wealthy investors' money

he could probably take them to court or something, but he's a Tesla fanboy, so he won't. if you make a scam really really obvious and blatant, that doesn't mean no one will fall for it - it just means that the people who do fall for it will be so naive and trusting and gullible that you can take them for one heck of a ride without worrying about them getting wise

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 5, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Your
Ostentatious
Sedan is a
Piece
Of
poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

posting on the yospage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ramming into a fire truck on the yospage

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Main Paineframe posted:

what's going on is likely illegal, but the US legal system moves very slowly when it comes to corporate misconduct and our regulatory authorities hate to do anything more than a slap on the wrist. tech companies here routinely violate all sorts of laws, comfortable in the fact that it'll usually take many years for any sort of consequences to catch up, and when they do, you can reach a settlement for a tiny fraction of what you gained from that illegal behavior. note that Elon was perfectly safe until he wealthy investors' money

he could probably take them to court or something, but he's a Tesla fanboy, so he won't. if you make a scam really really obvious and blatant, that doesn't mean no one will fall for it - it just means that the people who do fall for it will be so naive and trusting and gullible that you can take them for one heck of a ride without worrying about them getting wise

this is a good explanation. when I was talking about "unlimited right to contract" I was referring to what certain extreme libertarians want, which is tantamount to returning to feudal social relations, only determined by wealth in general rather than landholdings and violence. e: thankfully that's not how things work at present

pedant patrol, rollin' on the yospage

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Main Paineframe posted:

what's going on is likely illegal, but the US legal system moves very slowly when it comes to corporate misconduct and our regulatory authorities hate to do anything more than a slap on the wrist. tech companies here routinely violate all sorts of laws, comfortable in the fact that it'll usually take many years for any sort of consequences to catch up, and when they do, you can reach a settlement for a tiny fraction of what you gained from that illegal behavior. note that Elon was perfectly safe until he wealthy investors' money

For the record, this is probably a feature not a bug.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

if a dealer tried this poo poo they'd be in extreme trouble in a very short amount of time. state and local courts tend to move much much faster than federal courts.

that's part of the justification behind dealership laws: it is really hard and really time consuming for a customer to hold an out-of-state automaker responsible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The SEC and DOJ don't want to be blamed for popping the biggest bubble since the 1920s

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FAUXTON posted:

The SEC and DOJ don't want to be blamed for popping the biggest bubble since the 1920s

uber's the bellweather, no?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Captain Foo posted:

Possibly, that or Twitter.

It'll be Lyft

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'll take a depression if it means the end of Twitter.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

only if it takes down facebook as well

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
hai guyz! this teh yospos page??

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep posted:

hai guyz! this teh yospos page??
Sure is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
219 bitchesszzz

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

funny number friday post

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ciaphas posted:

funny number friday

now this is a concept i can get behind!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh man just wait until next year when we gonna have 2:19 on 2/19 2019

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

time zone / date chat incoming

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
that was intense

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Combat Theory posted:

in the US, an agreement plus consideration is a binding contract, and that person probably has an open and shut case

but they are also the sort of person who would blow all their money on a tesla, so they have no money for a lawyer and might be too deferential the elon cult to think of suing

while a more ethical company might understand the legal implications and give the money back, we're talking about telsa

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 5, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gazpacho posted:

in the US, an agreement plus consideration is a binding contract, and that person probably has an open and shut case

but they are also the sort of person who would blow all their money on a tesla, so they have no money for a lawyer and might be too deferential the elon cult to think of suing

while a more ethical company might understand all this and give the money back, we're talking about telsa

even in the case of not being a bazinga how much money would it take to fight

what can this person even realistically do besides put their hands in their lap, regret everything and wait to maybe get their car? the money's sure gone forever

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
YOSPOS > Grand Theft Auto: Fremont

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

i'm excite

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

gschmidl posted:

I'll take a depression if it means the end of Twitter.

I already have a depression but Twitter is still here :question:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Captain Foo posted:

in the vc world sure. in terms of larger market I'd be more worried about the first big company that fucks themself into a financial corner by overdoing the "take loans to fund share buybacks" thing sparking a spike in interest rates for such loans and causing a chain reaction.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:allears:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I already have a depression but Twitter is still here :question:

You fool, you did it wrong! We're all doomed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What's the price for that collateral call on the convertible debt? 250?