Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
-=219=-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
noooo

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sagebrush posted:

Oh man just wait until next year when we gonna have 2:19 on 2/19 2019
And lo, the earth trembled and the seas boiled, the sky turned amber and the last seal was broken as the Angel of Yospos blew his horn

And so began the Yospocalypse

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Peeny Cheez posted:

And lo, the earth trembled and the seas boiled, the sky turned amber

green

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
am considering taking this thread private at $219. funding secured.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

creationist believer posted:

am considering taking this thread private at $219. funding secured.

lowtax would probably take it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FAUXTON posted:

What's the price for that collateral call on the convertible debt? 250?

260 something, but it's not relevant until december. the rumour is elon gets margin called at $235 tho for the 4 bil he's borrowed against his shares

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the talent deficit posted:

260 something, but it's not relevant until december. the rumour is elon gets margin called at $235 tho for the 4 bil he's borrowed against his shares

:f5:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mods??

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:synpa:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

yeah but it probably doesn’t look so bad on a log scale

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

the talent deficit posted:

i want to believe

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

about shorting anyway, is that something I as a normal poor plebeian could risk for some potential small profit off musk's insanity or is it not worth the time when you're talking like three figures/restricted to Rich People

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ciaphas posted:

about shorting anyway, is that something I as a normal poor plebeian could do for some small profit off musk's insanity or is it not worth the time when you're talking like three figures/restricted to Rich People

going long has the absolute maximum risk that you lose (buy price * shares) of dollars. shorting has no ceiling on the amount of money you can lose. dont do it.

also for most shadetree brokerage accounts, fees are flat, so you pay $9.95 for a schwab buy or sell no matter if you're moving 1 share or 100000. small volume traders lose a lot to trade fees

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

about shorting anyway, is that something I as a normal poor plebeian could risk for some potential small profit off musk's insanity or is it not worth the time when you're talking like three figures/restricted to Rich People

if you have to ask it's not for you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

don't really plan to, stock market is gambling with more Arengee presence to my mind and coming at it from the other direction won't change that

would be nice if i could guarantee loving musky and getting a few hundo at the same time, though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

but hey, while i'm wishing, i wish tesla didn't suck, so hey yo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

going long has the absolute maximum risk that you lose (buy price * shares) of dollars. shorting has no ceiling on the amount of money you can lose. dont do it.

also for most shadetree brokerage accounts, fees are flat, so you pay $9.95 for a schwab buy or sell no matter if you're moving 1 share or 100000. small volume traders lose a lot to trade fees

you can take a short position w/o the naked short you're talkin about

but also do never trade individual stocks or options

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If the stock market tanks again I wouldn't be surprised if they banned short selling, at least temporarily

It happened in 2008 https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2008/2008-211.htm

the combination of trumps ego and the old white people who own stocks means they gotta prop it up as long and as high as possible

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Ciaphas posted:

Its something a plebe can do inasmuch as there are plenty of brokers that will allow you to short.

The problem is that TSLA is really volatile since its a hype stock and has huge movements on news events. And there's no way to mitigate the risk of those news events. Like a bad scenario is that you short 10 shares of TSLA for $270, hold through Q3, turns out TSLA knocked it out of the park despite YOSPOS prevailing wisdom. The price opens the next day at $340, and now you've lost $700 of your $2700 investment, and even though you put in a stop order it doesn't matter because the price jumped over it.

Its really unlikely you'll actually lose more money than you put in unless you're highly leveraged, because stocks almost never gain 100% overnight, but theres a lot of hurt between "losing all my money" and "coming out even".

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my buddy and i always joke of shorting snap since the shares aren't even shares and they're obviously run by a kalanick wannabe.

anyways he texts me to say he drunkenly shorted snap before one of their quarterly days for 30k. checked to see how much he was up after they bombed then realized he had drunkenly picked SANP instead, which coincidentally had announced an increased dividend and was up like 20% lmao.

that's my story of how degenerate you have to be to gently caress around with individual stocks.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

stock picking is gambling for accountants

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Ciaphas posted:

don't really plan to, stock market is gambling with more Arengee presence to my mind and coming at it from the other direction won't change that

would be nice if i could guarantee loving musky and getting a few hundo at the same time, though

I think technically the "right" thing to buy are put options. the transaction is roughly that you pay money (proportional to the max # of shares that you want to "put") to make a bet that tesla stock will be below some value (the strike price) at some point in time. when that time comes around you have the right to choose to sell the tesla stock to the entity that took your bet at the strike price-- which is a good deal if tesla stock is cheaper than the strike price right then

I think this is the "actual right position"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

even in the case of not being a bazinga how much money would it take to fight

what can this person even realistically do besides put their hands in their lap, regret everything and wait to maybe get their car? the money's sure gone forever

seems like the sort of case a lawyer would take on without payment (and then take like 60% of the money you get back) just because of how obviously criminal it is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

stock picking is gambling for accountants

friend of mine is doing it as a dumb little hobby and so far put all the money he was ready to invest in cannabis (he doesn't smoke and hates drugs, he just wants to get in on it becoming legal in canada in like a month), WWE (because he's a dork) and chinese tech companies

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

hahaha best-worst snype

ate all the Oreos posted:

seems like the sort of case a lawyer would take on without payment (and then take like 60% of the money you get back) just because of how obviously criminal it is

*stannis voice* BREACH OF CONTRACT IS NOT, IN ITSELF, A CRIMINAL OFFENSE

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
reminder of what can happen when you naked-short an "obviously doomed" stock:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/121515/how-short-sellers-account-went-negative-106k.asp

the stock's now trading at $0.65 so you can argue that the short bet was right, but it doesn't matter if the seller runs out of collateral before they're right

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 5, 2018

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
You also have to pay taxes on shares you sell. A lot of people don't get that. So you're going to sell higher by a small margin to make up for that loss before you start to turn a profit. Then there's things like calls and puts for the absolute dedicated stock peeps out there.

probably best to pick a tech related index or mutual fund and let the money nerds handle poo poo unless you have a thing for watching your shares tank when weedlon tweets.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just tweet at Elon telling him you want to short it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

like a lot of things, nerds think they can min max the stock market just by thinking really hard about it or by staring at graphs but the reality is that day by day you're basically just guessing and might as well juts buy a tracker or a load of bonds.

all those hedge funds etc that make amazing billion dollar trades either have a dedicated research team who got lucky, had insider info or climbed up a pile of skulls made from their investors to reach the top.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i have a friend whose job description is basically "makes money" and one time he told me to buy stock in a new diabetes drug or something, but i was too broke. then a few months later it increased value by like 9000% or something. that's my investment story.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

i have a friend whose job description is basically "makes money" and one time he told me to buy stock in a new diabetes drug or something, but i was too broke. then a few months later it increased value by like 9000% or something. that's my investment story.
Yeah, inside information works too.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there's nothing wrong with picking stocks if your goal is just to beat inflation & not to catch unicorns

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

unless you have insider info you invest in broad index funds and sell in ten years

anything else is bad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lazier than that: i used to have money in a wealthfront account, i barely selected anything but a risk factor on a scale :v:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

lazier than that: i used to have money in a wealthfront account, i barely selected anything but a risk factor on a scale :v:

it's the same amount of effort to choose a vanguard fund with a lower cost

they have lifecycle and target risk funds as well, and don't advertise on podcasts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's the same amount of effort to choose a vanguard fund with a lower cost

they have lifecycle and target risk funds as well, and don't advertise on podcasts

noted for when i have more liquidity available again :cheers:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

buy apple at $4 imo