Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Just picked up a late 2013 15" rMBP with El Capitan on it and I'm trying to decide if it's worth while to upgrade to High Sierra. I have at least one app that would require a paid upgrade to get a newer version that supports High Sierra, so I'd need some compelling reasons to upgrade the OS. As someone that doesn't really use Apple ecosystem apps/features, is the main difference between 10.11 and 10.13 just APFS? I've read APFS improves performance for SSDs, but is the improvement really noticeable? The PCIe flash storage was already blazing fast on HFS+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why wouldn’t you go to Mojave?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Splinter posted:

Just picked up a late 2013 15" rMBP with El Capitan on it and I'm trying to decide if it's worth while to upgrade to High Sierra. I have at least one app that would require a paid upgrade to get a newer version that supports High Sierra, so I'd need some compelling reasons to upgrade the OS. As someone that doesn't really use Apple ecosystem apps/features, is the main difference between 10.11 and 10.13 just APFS? I've read APFS improves performance for SSDs, but is the improvement really noticeable? The PCIe flash storage was already blazing fast on HFS+.

Security is always a concern. Apple does push out security patches for older OS releases, but it’s usually limited to the current major release minus 2. Since we’re now on 10.14, and El Cap is 10.11, it’s probably off the security fix train.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Last Chance posted:

Mojave should upgrade Fusion Drives automatically upon upgrade. Did it not upgrade yours automatically?

I think there was a weird case where 3tb Fusion Drives were screwed up and won't allow an upgrade to Mojave if you have a Bootcamp partition, but other than that, I think it should be happening automatically.
Yeah, I have three partitions, including Bootcamp. Weirdly, I can't seem to convert my second partition manually (see above).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Bob Morales posted:

Why wouldn’t you go to Mojave?

I have some apps that aren't fully compatible with Mojave just yet.

BobHoward posted:

Security is always a concern. Apple does push out security patches for older OS releases, but it’s usually limited to the current major release minus 2. Since we’re now on 10.14, and El Cap is 10.11, it’s probably off the security fix train.

That's a good point.

I guess I'll stick with this fresh install of El Capitan until everything I have is Mojave ready (shouldn't be long), then go straight to Mojave. In the meantime I'll have time to try out alternatives to the app that doesn't work in High Sierra, as not wanting to pay for an upgrade that the developer has already dropped support for just to get 10.13 support is the main reason I'm resistant to going to 10.13+ immediately (eat poo poo Adobe).

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a macOS app like Desk chat on Win10? Basically an application wrapper for the Facebook messenger website.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Mojave should upgrade Fusion Drives automatically upon upgrade. Did it not upgrade yours automatically?

I think there was a weird case where 3tb Fusion Drives were screwed up and won't allow an upgrade to Mojave if you have a Bootcamp partition, but other than that, I think it should be happening automatically.

In all fairness the 3Tb Fusion drives have had more problems than just that.

I feel lucky it didn’t all come unglued software wise during the 6 hour upgrade process.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Housh posted:

Is there a macOS app like Desk chat on Win10? Basically an application wrapper for the Facebook messenger website.

I use Fluid. Lets me have messenger as a menu bar app I can summon with a keystroke.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Wheezle posted:

I use Fluid. Lets me have messenger as a menu bar app I can summon with a keystroke.

Thank you. This is the exact application I am looking for. I love that it even gives you notification badges.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ultimate Mango posted:

In all fairness the 3Tb Fusion drives have had more problems than just that.
What other issues have there been? (That's what I have in my iMac.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Is there any reason why tweets are not embedding anymore on the forums here in Safari? I know they worked before I updated but they don't seem to be working now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Is there any reason why tweets are not embedding anymore on the forums here in Safari? I know they worked before I updated but they don't seem to be working now.

Check your content blockers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Check your content blockers.

The new version of safari nuked them and as far as I can tell I don't have any extensions installed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

The new version of safari nuked them and as far as I can tell I don't have any extensions installed.

Actually, it was that nightmode extension recommended a few days ago(?). That was doing it on mine now that I remember. I had to uninstall it for tweet embedding to come back. Not sure why, but forcing a dark mode to websites wasn’t worth the hassle.

Other than that, no idea. Sorry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Actually, it was that nightmode extension recommended a few days ago(?). That was doing it on mine now that I remember. I had to uninstall it for tweet embedding to come back. Not sure why, but forcing a dark mode to websites wasn’t worth the hassle.

Other than that, no idea. Sorry.

Yup that was it!

Weird that it was causing it though. Seems like a weird issue.

Also the night mode kinda made SA look like poo poo IMO.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Housh posted:

I use Goofy personally cause it's attractive, free/open source, and has a dark mode.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How do people like wipr? Does it get the ads on youtube videos?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Wipr is cool and seems to block YouTube ads yeah, haven’t seen any so far.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

101 posted:

I use Goofy personally cause it's attractive, free/open source, and has a dark mode.
This is perfect. Wish there was a Win10 version too.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

101 posted:

how do you enable the dark mode?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

I had first and second gen 3T fusion drives and both have had very low level software issues. Basically the two drives becoming unglued at the driver level required a vacation at the fruit stand to get fixed. It’s not a regular occurrence but now that I type this I’m sure I will be taking it in within a week.

I think the most recent time one employee actually has a magic script on a usb stick that was able to pair them back up.

Of course restore from backup was required.

Maybe don’t use file vault on the 3T fusion is the answer, but I’m paranoid.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Housh posted:

Thanks for the Desk chat recommendation. I had been using the official app which was inexplicably 500mb and slow as poo poo and this is way better.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Fallom posted:

Thanks for the Desk chat recommendation. I had been using the official app which was inexplicably 500mb and slow as poo poo and this is way better.
I just wish the taskbar icon would flash when I get a message. The window needs to be active for it to be connected to messenger which kinda sucks compared to Goofy on macOS. Desk chat is ok but I hope to find something better.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hmm, I just upgraded to Mojave, and all of a sudden my Photoshop is giving me the "rotating dots" cursor when I do something that involves click-and-drag, like clone-stamping a long strip. It's not the beach-ball/pinwheel...I can perform the action, but it shows the "I'm thinking" cursor. And continuous processes stutter -- simple stuff like Paintbrush. This is on a brand-new MBP that was performing perfectly a week ago.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Mine does the same now, you just need to re-boot every day, lol.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I fixed it by giving Photoshop accessibility permissions. I ended up doing it with all of my art programs just to get the color picker to work (got info about this issue from Clip Studio Paint's patch notes).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Zwille posted:

Wipr is cool and seems to block YouTube ads yeah, haven’t seen any so far.

Thirding Wipr, even seems to help with some of those newspaper homepages that keep thrusting ads in your face.

Also, yeah, previous Dark Mode for Safari stunk as it disabled Twitter embeds. Found another one, Dark Mode For Safari in the Mac App Store that works well for me..

$1.99 but worth it IMHO; it's intelligent, doesn't reverse images, has a toolbar toggle, works in Safari 12, doesn't gently caress up Twitter embeds, and is updated frequently by the vendor (last update was 9/28.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Also, yeah, previous Dark Mode for Safari stunk as it disabled Twitter embeds. Found another one, Dark Mode For Safari in the Mac App Store that works well for me..

Oh, yeah that's way better, thanks! It's not perfect, but it's easily $1.99 extension good.

Also, the "Softer Dark Mode" compliments macOS Dark Mode well.

E: Holy poo poo, hilarious unintended consequences in YOSPOS with this extension.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 7, 2018

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Generic Monk posted:

how do you enable the dark mode?

Sorry I was thinking of Caprine which is a very similar product but actually seems to be seeing some more love from its dev based on their respective GitHubs. Might try this one out again to match Mojave

Housh posted:

This is perfect. Wish there was a Win10 version too.

Caprine also has a Windows version if you wanna give that a try

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Thirding Wipr, even seems to help with some of those newspaper homepages that keep thrusting ads in your face.

$1.99 but worth it IMHO; it's intelligent, doesn't reverse images, has a toolbar toggle, works in Safari 12, doesn't gently caress up Twitter embeds, and is updated frequently by the vendor (last update was 9/28.)

Oh drat this one is much much better.

Some of the colors are still kinda off but its worth the 1.99 for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Double post but its slightly annoying that the Safari Extensions selection in the Safari menu doesn't actually show you the extensions you have installed but opens the App Store.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Do any of these Messenger "apps" block GIFs or have a click-to-play setting?

Edit: guess not: https://github.com/sindresorhus/caprine/issues/393

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

101 posted:

Sorry I was thinking of Caprine which is a very similar product but actually seems to be seeing some more love from its dev based on their respective GitHubs. Might try this one out again to match Mojave

Caprine also has a Windows version if you wanna give that a try

Thanks. Trying out Caprine. I really like the Touch Bar integration. If the Win 10 version is as good as the macOS version, you made my day.

edit: Win 10 version is great!! Thanks!

Housh fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 8, 2018

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Anyone using a ScanSnap upgrade to Mojave? A few years ago I was initially scared of even going past Sierra since they dropped support for the S300M, but then it turns out that it was still supported under the latest version of ScanSnap Manager; they just don't tell you this anywhere.

But now they've not released a ScanSnap Manager for Mojave, instead announcing a ground up rewrite called "ScanSnap Home" that I fear is going to drop support for the S300M. But if people have upgraded to Mojave and used the old High Sierra release of SSM, then I'll just upgrade and get one more OS era out of this scanner. I'm already figuring I'll have to switch to something supported but damned if I can't kill this thing that's perfectly good.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
I've used Backblaze for years and never had any suspicious behavior from it before, but today the bztransmit process spontaneously attempted to connect to Google, Wikipedia, and Reddit. WTF? Anyone using Little Snitch & Backblaze ever seen this?

Edit: Searched Backblaze's logs and it seems to be accessing these urls as some kind of network connectivity test.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

its HIM fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 9, 2018

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

xarph posted:

But now they've not released a ScanSnap Manager for Mojave, instead announcing a ground up rewrite called "ScanSnap Home" that I fear is going to drop support for the S300M.

If you end up with no other options and don't mind a bunch of bother and wasted disk space, you could probably run an older version of macOS in a virtual machine just to run ScanSnap Manager. There's probably a way to do that with the free VirtualBox, and googling suggests it Mac-on-Mac virtualization may also be possible with Parallels Lite, which is a free App Store download.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone else having problems with Safari not showing embedded Tweets?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone else having problems with Safari not showing embedded Tweets?

did you install that nightlight app posted earlier

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

did you install that nightlight app posted earlier

Not empty quoting but I really have no idea what that extension was even doing that would case that.

The other one someone posted works a lot better either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's not the nightlight app.

I'm seeing the same in Firefox in High Sierra. It might conceivably be some underlying content blocker setting or list that has been updated, but since turning the blockers off doesn't make any difference, it's not clear that it actually is.

It rather seems far more likely that it's just the forum software being a bit strange at the moment -- there are other issues making the rounds right now, like the iOS app screwing up various unicode character and the like. It wouldn't be surprising if someone did some ill-conceived updating in the background that is the root cause of a whole slew of issues, and it just comes down to what files any given person happen to have cached at the moment.

e: ...in fact, I just remembered another setting and turned it off: turns out that in Firefox's case, it's the tracking protection setting that screws up the twitter integration.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 9, 2018