Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Then we have clueless marketing guy at JP that say “huh? CCC didn’t get English version? Oh yeah, we should make English ver of Fate/GO! I forget we have fan here!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, review time for KNK 01 - Overlooking View... later today because I'm still at work. :cheeky:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nyaa posted:

Then we have clueless marketing guy at JP that say “huh? CCC didn’t get English version? Oh yeah, we should make English ver of Fate/GO! I forget we have fan here!”

Ignoring the slightly racist tone of the post, they've been regularly localizing their new stuff.
Meanwhile CCC was released in a dead console and Aksys clearly didn't feel it was worth trying a second time in the NA market.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the first 3 episodes of Unlimited Blade Works cause they're on Netflix. It's better, especially the first episode because Rin is much more interesting than either red-haired protagonist or Sakura.

Fate Zero is still the strongest entry though imo because it's not tied into the highschool nonsense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The highschool nonsense results in far more compelling characterization than the entirety of Fate/Zero's cast put together.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Nate RFB posted:

The highschool nonsense results in far more compelling characterization than the entirety of Fate/Zero's cast put together.

The high school slice of life scenes at the start of Shirou's part in Fate was the most tedious section of the VNs for me (I do like the Shirou vs Rin wizard battle in UBW and some of the action set pieces there), but I do like the high school setting and mostly young cast of the original.

There's a YA novel-like purity to the original premise of teens in a mysterious murder survival game that the franchise lost as it expanded.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My guide to appreciating Fate and its adaptations/spin-offs is as thus: The more screen-time you have Kana Ueda playing Rin, usually the better.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

fate zero is dreck

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Aurora posted:

fate zero is dreck

The worst kind of melodramatic manpain theater, imo

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Nate RFB posted:

This statement passes muster for Shirou and Rin, but I don't find it to be the case for anyone else, especially Saber, who is all over F/SN but I only ever found interesting in Zero

I guess what I'm saying is that Shirou and Rin are better than Kerry and Iri, but everyone else in Fate Zero is way way better than their equivalents in F/SN, excluding Servants and of course, Taiga. Then again I'm sure part of that is Zero benefiting from not having to fit within the structure of a VN with multiple routes that have multiple endings, so it's afforded a bit more narrative clarity.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The worst kind of melodramatic manpain theater, imo

I can't even bring myself to come up with a cute way to equivocate this to the possibly fetishistic, gratuitous amount of suffering a certain other character goes through, Senpai

At least when Kiritsugu and Kariya were suffering I didn't get the impression that it was part of a weirdly layered whore/madonna boner coupled with a romantic savior fantasy

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 6, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm convinced that 80% of the accolades f/z gets is from people who, before it ever got translated, got super hype about individual spoiler moments like kiritsugu blowing up a skyscraper or the Lancelot/Gil dogfight, and then were too stubborn to admit they were wrong when it was actually released and was 50/40 Women Suffering to Make Men Sad and Kiritsugu Being Tacticool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lancelot, Waver, Kirei, and Gil were cool

So was watching Kariya die, that was fun

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is this the monthly Sheeple Fate/zero talk

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Diarmuid was super cool when all I knew of him was his inclusion in Unlimited Codes and this theme song from the sound drama too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiXr1AgiTFU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is hard not to like a show where a character is build up to be this stone bold badass but in the end he is broken when he is forced to comprehend just what type of person he really is. That and the irony that for all the poo poo he gave Saber, in terms of loving up those that come after by setting a bad example, he did more damage to Shirou then Saber ever could have done. Also it had some really great master/servant relationships in Caster and Rider with their masters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Playing Fate/hollow ataraxia relatively recently really hammered home how much better the FSN crew is in general.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is possible for both of these Fates to be good guys.

(The real bad fate is extra)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Playing Fate/hollow ataraxia relatively recently really hammered home how much better the FSN crew is in general.
I agree, FHA explains a lot of the cool themes and characterisation that were present in FSN but sometimes buried under reams of poorly translated explanations of the dumb magic system.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bakanogami posted:

this is a good post

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

Sheeple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFwp0zTQzI

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For real the list of cool Fate/Zero thigns

Anything having to do with Waver/Iskandar
Zerkerlot, in general
Kayneth's journey to gently caress and not get hosed and how badly that goes for him
Tokiomi trying to win the war in the most boring way possible
Gil and Kirei
A lot of the fight scenes are genuinely cool
Kiritsugu is awful, but how spectacularly the grail blows up in his face is about one of the best ways I can think to end any prequel related thing
Yuki Kajiura soundtrack
ZIZZ soundtack from the sound drama
Sumiisan soundtrack from the sound drama
Saber's storyline and interactions with any character who isn't Kiritsugu

It's unfortunate Kiritsugu and his everything exist, the Hassans don't get to do anything, Lancelot after he takes the helmet off sucks, and Dante from the Devil May Cry series was not in it, but overall I felt it was a pretty good prequel to FSN even though that cast is largely better and the story there infinitely more compelling. peace

Bakanogami posted:

I agree with this with the caveat Extra is cool and CCC is one of the best Fate things

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I can't even bring myself to come up with a cute way to equivocate this to the possibly fetishistic, gratuitous amount of suffering a certain other character goes through, Senpai

At least when Kiritsugu and Kariya were suffering I didn't get the impression that it was part of a weirdly layered whore/madonna boner coupled with a romantic savior fantasy
did you actually play fate/stay night or what

the person who saves sakura is rin, and literally every bit of anger sakura feels is treated as valid and righteous, and nobody ever questions the fact that she killed shinji and zouken, and she is never shamed for her 'sexual impurity' or w/e. and the character winds up in a happier place with people who support her so it's hardly a 'fetishistic amount of suffering.'

what on earth are you going on about

also ccc is basically an expansion of sakura's story and is literally a story about how society's sexual and romantic standards turn women into self-destructive monsters and how horrific that is, and goes out of its way multiple times to compare sexism to literal incomprehensible, otherwordly horrors

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 6, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Also extremely lol as the point was that in fate zero women basically only exist to suffer so we can see how sad it makes their male counterparts, whereas Sakura's trauma exists wholly for her own character

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Worst Writing amd The Most Heinous Misoginy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Pee Pee Doo Doo Urobuchi is A Bad Writer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Endorph posted:

did you actually play fate/stay night or what

the person who saves sakura is rin, and literally every bit of anger sakura feels is treated as valid and righteous, and nobody ever questions the fact that she killed shinji and zouken, and she is never shamed for her 'sexual impurity' or w/e

what on earth are you going on about

I'm not impugning Sakura's character, or the ultimate outcome of the story, just that the poo poo happens to her and the context of it strikes me as super gross and reminds me of bad exploitation fiction and that is a way bigger offense to me than the waterfall of dumb manbaby tears contained in Zero, especially considering most of the people in Zero got what they had coming to them

Basically seeing Wizard James Bond get owned is better than Wizard I Spit On Your Grave

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Kiritsugu's character arc makes sense in the context of the wider themes of FSN as a whole.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i spit on your grave is a movie in which a woman is raped and then violently murders her attackers, and there is no character or catharsis, or promise of healing for her, just violent revenge. heaven's feel is a route in which sakura goes through very traumatic things, has her pain validated by her boyfriend and her sister, and then they live together in peace and harmony with a large amount of hope for the future, with her having a stable support network (that includes another woman, that has been through similar things, though sadly they really don't play up that bit of medusa and sakura relationship framing outside of subtext) and people who care about her. I'm really not seeing the comparison.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I agree that Rin is the best character in the UBW anime. I enjoyed the first episode a lot because everything is from her perspective. When it switches to episode 2 and becomes about Red Hair Protag things get a lot lamer.

If the whole thing was from her perspective and we saw Red Hair only through her eyes itd be more interesting and I think he'd also seem like a better character.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Shirou is a way, way better character then Rin and that's not a slight against Rin.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Also if things got really bad at the end of Fate Zero because the grail is corrupted why do people still fight for the grail 10 year later? It's no longer a wish granting thing, it just causes destruction.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ccs posted:

Also if things got really bad at the end of Fate Zero because the grail is corrupted why do people still fight for the grail 10 year later? It's no longer a wish granting thing, it just causes destruction.

Iirc, the only person let alive who knows this is kotomine, all other witnesses were loving dead

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What about grandpa worms?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Grandpa worms doesn't do anything but sit in his lovely house and terrorize his grandchildren

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Does grandpa worms even know the grail is hosed? Been years since I watched fate zero but I recall that revelation being a pretty eleventh hour thing

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Baal posted:

Grandpa worms doesn't do anything but sit in his lovely house and terrorize his grandchildren
Just like all Grandpas! :haw:

What I mean is: He figured out early on in F-Zero that the Grail was busted, right?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I think Granpa worms just does not care, he wants to win no matter how lovely the grail is, it takes a small talk with Illya to understand that and just die

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IIRC Grandpa Worms knows the grail is corrupted, though I don't know when/how he learned that. The thing is that he doesn't care, it doesn't conflict with his goal of attaining immortality. If anything, given how he uses the shadow in HF it's convenient for his purposes. There was also something in HF about him binding Angra Manyu through command spells that Sakura had, and then he was going to possess Sakura, I think? I don't remember the details.

I'd wondered for a while if the Einzberns would care about the corruption. They wanted to ressurect the third magic, and the grail being corrupt didn't seem to stop Ilya from using the third magic to save Shirou in HF. The Zero event in FGO seems to imply that Irisviel agreed that the corrupted grail needed to be destroyed, at least. I bet Acht would be fine with it because he's a dick, though.

I dunno if it would interfere with the Tohsaka objective of reaching the root. Probably not. But Rin doesn't care because she's a good girl and was also orphaned before she could get brainwashed into too much of an rear end in a top hat mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Does grandpa worms even know the grail is hosed? Been years since I watched fate zero but I recall that revelation being a pretty eleventh hour thing

He does, and implanted pieces of the destroyed 4th war grail vessel on Sakura with the express purpose of trying to hijack it from the Einzberns for the 5th.

Which is what happens during Heaven's Feel.

Bakanogami posted:

IIRC Grandpa Worms knows the grail is corrupted, though I don't know when/how he learned that.

He oversaw the entire 4th War through his bug familiars. Despite only showing up a couple times, he had a far better understanding of the actors and going ons than anyone else in that clusterfuck.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 6, 2018