Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Here's a story to help anyone debating Mr. Nice!

One time there was a get together and he spent a chunk of the night, when not wrestling his coworker on cement, arguing with me and another friend of ours about the definition of sashimi, despite having been proven wrong by The Online.

That is all

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A wise man once told me long ago that I should never argue with an idiot because he's just going to say something stupid and it'll make me mad and he thus wins. I vowed from that day forward to be the idiot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nobody had ever knocked down Eddie EDDIE before he fought Conor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eddie also did his best Bisping in the Hendo 1 fight impression by circling constantly into his opponents power hand.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

maffew buildings posted:

Here's a story to help anyone debating Mr. Nice!

One time there was a get together and he spent a chunk of the night, when not wrestling his coworker on cement, arguing with me and another friend of ours about the definition of sashimi, despite having been proven wrong by The Online.

That is all

so what youre telling me is that he knows grappling first hand and is completely correct here

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
Eddie fought a real dumb fight vs Conor but Conor also displayed some absolutely amazing technical striking ability in that fight and it was a lot of fun to watch

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Conor is a hell of a fighter. I'm not saying that he isn't. But he also went 1-1 with Nate Diaz with Nate beating the gently caress out of him in the first and took two rounds in the rematch. Nate is far from the best LW in the world.

His KO of Aldo was nuts. I don't think anyone will ever say anything different. He exploited Eddie Alvarez's bad tendencies and knocked him out just like he did to tons of people before at 10 lbs lighter. He's just not anything above the rest of the pack in terms of his striking game like Khabib is above everyone else at grappling. Conor is a top 5 LW, but he's not the best striker in the division.

It seems like you are operating with this very specific functional definition of what a good striker is that values raw power relative to your division and having never looked slightly vulnerable in fights you win where grappling or cardio weren't factors, and doesn't really give a poo poo about things like timing or accuracy or technique. By this standard Glover Teixeira and Wanderlei Silva might be considered elite strikers while Anderson Silva and Conor McGregor are not. Are you sure this is how you feel?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vitamin Boss posted:

Eddie fought a real dumb fight vs Conor but Conor also displayed some absolutely amazing technical striking ability in that fight and it was a lot of fun to watch

Agreed. I really like Conor. I think he did great against Alvarez. I think he'd be a fun fight with Barboza. Khabib is going to destroy him tomorrow, though.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Vitamin Boss posted:

These jokes about IT guys in the UFC thread are makin me miss manyak :sigh:

Rip

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Khabib is going to destroy him tomorrow, though.

Yes, but only if he wins.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bluedeanie posted:

It seems like you are operating with this very specific functional definition of what a good striker is that values raw power relative to your division and having never looked slightly vulnerable in fights you win where grappling or cardio weren't factors, and doesn't really give a poo poo about things like timing or accuracy or technique. By this standard Glover Teixeira and Wanderlei Silva might be considered elite strikers while Anderson Silva and Conor McGregor are not. Are you sure this is how you feel?

Good god no. I'm just saying that I watched Conor get boxed up by Nate Diaz. So he's not quite on the level of technical striking as Josh Thomson.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
conor by tko, then hes gonna jump out the cage and attack a known terrorist. hes the greatest fighter since ali and the greatest hero sportsman since pat tillman RIP

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I think we have pretty different recollections of either Diaz fight. Conor was beating him up a lot at the beginning of the first until he couldn't match pace or secure a finish, whereas the second fight does not deserve space in the already decrepit, limited memory part of my brain.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The important part of the first fight is I’m not surprised motherfucker.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

I think we have pretty different recollections of either Diaz fight. Conor was beating him up a lot at the beginning of the first until he couldn't match pace or secure a finish, whereas the second fight does not deserve space in the already decrepit, limited memory part of my brain.

What second fight

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
I'd say Josh Thomson is a more well-rounded striker who made excellent use of kicks vs. Diaz whereas Conor loves to box and is probably the best at it at 155 atm

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
swarming styles tend to do really poorly against elite counter punchers which is why eddie got so soundly thrashed. however conor did really well against an out-boxer like nate too. i think conor's just a pretty good fighter. i don't think either of these things says very much about how khabib will fare. i think khabib will land a couple of those really awkward arcing punches because conor will be really worried about the takedown, and as long as khabib methodically plods in and doesn't run in with his chin up he won't get sparked, which means i think conor's in for a long night. that's my official prediction. lock it in. let's put some hilarious bets down.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Vitamin Boss posted:

I'd say Josh Thomson is a more well-rounded striker who made excellent use of kicks vs. Diaz whereas Conor loves to box and is probably the best at it at 155 atm

josh thomson in his prime was a loving excellent fighter. and great fun to watch.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Marching Powder posted:

josh thomson in his prime was a loving excellent fighter. and great fun to watch.

100% agreed

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

yeah too bad he got so many miles on him so early and 100000 injuries. he was so well rounded

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I.N.R.I posted:

Sounds like youre a real life renaissance man

Hahahaha.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah too bad he got so many miles on him so early and 100000 injuries. he was so well rounded

I'd love to look at Josh Thomson in the Metal Gear Solid 3 Injury Viewer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bluedeanie posted:

I remember being fairly impressed by the second fight, if only because I thought Conor dealt pretty well with the shortcomings that cost him the first match.

I just wish he wasn't (and Khabib too) such a huge piece of poo poo :smith:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

You spin him around to try to make him barf and somehow he ends up getting knocked out by Yves Edwards instead

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

lol

i wish josh wasn't robbed in his final fight with gil, but he made up for that by annihilating nate so brutally that nick threw the towel in.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

lol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I remember being fairly impressed by the second fight, if only because I thought Conor dealt pretty well with the shortcomings that cost him the first match.

I just wish he wasn't (and Khabib too) such a huge piece of poo poo :smith:

Oh for sure, he adjusted his game plan really well. A lot better than I thought he would, my hunch was he was going to try and just do the same thing as the first fight but more, or he was going to listen to Ido and try to close distance like a sexually horny crab.

But it wasn't that fun to watch imo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bluedeanie posted:

close distance like a sexually horny crab.

Is it too late to lock in the November thread title? :allears:

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVk2gKHKtg

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
What's up with the air stewardesses? Did UFC get an airline sponsor?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

The UFC, and some fans, seem to think only the 2nd fight ever happened.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

close distance like a sexually horny crab.

Jerusalem posted:

Is it too late to lock in the November thread title? :allears:

Saving this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Black beast looking the most trim I've ever seen at 265 and holy poo poo a fight.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

dana almost caught one from volkov

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Volkov and Lewis trying to lamp each other was legitimately more fighting than happened in Lewis' last fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McGregor out there starting poo poo :lol:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The teep AND the turk on display at the weigh-ins, Joe.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Volkov and Lewis trying to lamp each other was legitimately more fighting than happened in Lewis' last fight.

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

inshallah and still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

lol, I think Conor's going to win, but Khabib telling a bunch of Irish lads that he's going to gently caress Conor up and then politely thanking them for making the fight happen is pretty good.

• Locked thread