Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Over their heads and kinda dumb, yeah.

Speaking of netcode, Capcom continues to Capcom:

https://twitter.com/totoroslayer/status/1048090484520804352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
just as a reminder this is the same team https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170502006584/en/Wavedash-Games-Secures-6-Million-Series-Funding

quote:

OAKLAND, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Wavedash Games, an Oakland-based game publisher, announced today that it has raised $6 million in Series A funding, led by March Capital Partners. Wavedash will leverage the financing to grow its team and complete the development of its new Platform Fighter game. Additional funding was provided by Lowercase Capital, Advancit Capital, CourtsideVC, Machine Shop Ventures, Luma Labs, and Cherrytree VC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slap City is awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
WHO WOULD WIN: US$6 Million of venture capital backing grizzled veterans OR Six dorks from Sweden?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

Slap City is awesome.

Yeah, I was surprised by how much I liked it considering all the other ones I've tried didn't grab me and a few were complete dogshit.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hi I worked on Icons it was a pure funding thing, basically. Usual startup BS kind of stuff.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In Training posted:

Slap City is awesome.

Yes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mutata posted:

Hi I worked on Icons it was a pure funding thing, basically. Usual startup BS kind of stuff.

I'm sorry.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

mutata posted:

hey did you guys consider slap city a threat at all

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So for context, I was remote and contract, so I wasn't in-office getting all the watercooler chat, but there was a lot of looking at Slap City, for sure. It's a solid game at a good price point and it was targeting a very different demographic than Icons, but there was still a lot of overlap. There was enough different with Icons that I feel like we felt we could coexist, but a team of this size can only focus on one thing at a time. Slap City jumped out and was the silly, casual, meme-y take on the genre. Icons was trying to put a lot of polish in and get things feeling right for more hardcore players since that was the team's pedigree. I can't say too much, but there was always a desire and intention to push Icons into other spaces gameplay-wise and demographic-wise, but yeah. Ran out of runway.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

What about Rivals of Aether, sounds like it's occupying the same space

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Icons is circling the drain, does anyone care? https://icons.gg/news/wavedash-and-the-future

I'm sad those character designs are going to get swept into the aether, no pun intended.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

So for context, I was remote and contract, so I wasn't in-office getting all the watercooler chat, but there was a lot of looking at Slap City, for sure. It's a solid game at a good price point and it was targeting a very different demographic than Icons, but there was still a lot of overlap. There was enough different with Icons that I feel like we felt we could coexist, but a team of this size can only focus on one thing at a time. Slap City jumped out and was the silly, casual, meme-y take on the genre. Icons was trying to put a lot of polish in and get things feeling right for more hardcore players since that was the team's pedigree. I can't say too much, but there was always a desire and intention to push Icons into other spaces gameplay-wise and demographic-wise, but yeah. Ran out of runway.

Sucks when that happens. Did you feel like the resources were used reasonably well (i.e. sensible dev approach and budgeting)? Seems like you don't suddenly run out of money if you've scoped a software project well. I get the immediate impression that they bit off way too much.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nah, scope was standard for a startup. Or at least, it was well managed for how much funding they had versus the goals of the project. The nature of startups (for better or for worse) is that you have to balance the runway that funding gives you with achieving a certain size and marketshare in order to get MORE funding and continue. All startups have these moments of "If we can't land a lead investor in the next week then we're done" but if they DO land that investor then the company continues as if nothing was ever in peril. It's kooky clownsville la-la-land, but that's all startups and Silicon Valley in general. Wavedash was a good team. Again, I was remote so therefore somewhat removed, but I've worked for 3 startups and a couple big corporation at this point and Wavedash was one of the healthier teams I've worked with. The art team in particular was very good at getting their poo poo done and keeping schedules reasonable. It was nice.

Edit: I personally didn't see much discussion of Rivals, but I wasn't on the design or business teams.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

In Training posted:

Slap City is awesome.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Slap City is awesome.

It took me a while to figure out with Online play that "Battle" means it's always a 1-on-1 and "Free For All" is the mode that goes to 4 players, you have to search that and not ready up until there's 3 or 4 players if you want the party experience. 1-on-1 just gets me annihilated by "no items final destination" types.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Not trying to flame you in particular here but the idea that Slap City was unpolished or "not targeting the same demographic" just seems completely bonkers to me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Never said it was unpolished. And maybe different sections or tastes of the same demographic is a better phrasing. To be honest, I don't know the genre and the scene well enough, but there was a lot of respect for Slap City. There was a real desire to coexist and present a different type of experience.

Again, just my read of the situation, nothing like this was explicitly stated or declared.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mutata posted:

Never said it was unpolished. And maybe different sections or tastes of the same demographic is a better phrasing. To be honest, I don't know the genre and the scene well enough, but there was a lot of respect for Slap City. There was a real desire to coexist and present a different type of experience.

Again, just my read of the situation, nothing like this was explicitly stated or declared.

zand likes Slap City

allow that to sink in.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash and Slap City are about their lovable franchise characters, Icons was about performing Tech.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I dunno what the intent was but just looking at the key art for Icons on their site my first reflex is "oh hey couple overwatch characters with some changes made so that you can pretend it's not a ripoff" and that's not good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want to know who decided ICONS was the appropriate name for a blatant Smash clone with MOBA-knockoff character designs.

EDIT: or any game, really

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Reiley posted:

Smash and Slap City are about their lovable franchise characters, Icons was about performing Tech.

name your favorite Slap City character.

the newly Princess of Explosions is a favorite!

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Victory Position posted:

Fishbunjin for sure. Big hits and the dumbbell is amazing.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Victory Position posted:

business casual man for design but i like to play princess remedy the most

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

icons is the mvci of the smash genre.. seems like fighting game communities really, really dont like playing games filled w FUnctions instead of their favorite characters even if the game's mechanics are designed to appeal to the competitive fanbase

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Victory Position posted:

Her and the mighty Fishbunjin from Ittle Dew

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I want to know who decided ICONS was the appropriate name for a blatant Smash clone with MOBA-knockoff character designs.

EDIT: or any game, really

As an long time Fight For New York fan the word "Icon" continues to haunt me to this day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Reiley posted:

As an long time Fight For New York fan the word "Icon" continues to haunt me to this day.

Icon really sucks because it still had all the tools to be the stupidly fun game FFNY was, but then it had so fewer memorable rappers in it (And a lot less characters in general from what I remember), a lot less songs, the fighting felt so much more limp, like they didn't really get what made Vendetta and FFNY fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

pissdude posted:

icons is the mvci of the smash genre.. seems like fighting game communities really, really dont like playing games filled w FUnctions instead of their favorite characters even if the game's mechanics are designed to appeal to the competitive fanbase

Icons sold itself as the competitive substitute to Project M but all I ever heard from Smash dorks was that the movement felt bad and the inputs were busted and the devs would rationalise peoples' complaints in weird ways without ever fixing anything. Maybe those fans were being unreasonably nitpicky but that's the market they courted and they must have known people would come at them that way.

"Designed to appeal to the competitive fanbase" is true of a million bad or boring games, and some of the more recent bad "competitive" games were designed as much for spectators as for players.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Designing a game for eSports is stupid

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

In Training posted:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yardbomb posted:

Icon really sucks because it still had all the tools to be the stupidly fun game FFNY was, but then it had so fewer memorable rappers in it (And a lot less characters in general from what I remember), a lot less songs, the fighting felt so much more limp, like they didn't really get what made Vendetta and FFNY fun.

That was the one not made by AKI, also known for making two of the best wrestling games ever, WCW vs NWO: Revenge and WWF No Mercy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They also made the GC/PS2 Kinnikuman games, and the PSP Yakuza spinoffs with the bancho kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnXjoq3g8s

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, I can understand targeting a competitive fanbase. But, I mean... come on devs, why are you targeting Melee's competitive fanbase?

They've refused to move on to an alternative game for seventeen years now. Why do you think you're the guys who are going to create the silver bullet that would finally convince them to? Because you created a mod for an existing game that made it kinda play like the game they want so it started becoming popular as a novelty? I don't get it. That seems like throwing a lot of effort and money and time at a group of players who've made an identity for themselves refusing any real substitutes for what they want.

Like, good try when it comes to the game itself, Icons is better then it's getting even if it's still probably like a third tier platform fighter. But holy poo poo, you went for like the last audience that's going to move on to a new game unless it springs out fully-formed into perfection and you were never, ever going to get them.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 6, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
eSports for fighters must be really confusing for people that look from the outside in. icons may seem like an obvious "why would you make this" idea to people inside the community.. but as a (clueless) investor, seeing melee pull huge numbers for tournaments and then having icons crash and burn has got to seem like nonsense.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

In Training posted:

Ya. Watching a game be designed for the ground up for BIG TOURNAMENTS AND HIGHLY SKILLED COMPETITION is always sad/funny when it caps out at 20 people on release. Just make a good game and support the scene instead of forcing it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Zand posted:

eSports for fighters must be really confusing for people that look from the outside in. icons may seem like an obvious "why would you make this" idea to people inside the community.. but as a (clueless) investor, seeing melee pull huge numbers for tournaments and then having icons crash and burn has got to seem like nonsense.

This is pretty true. I tend to assume that any game with a completely nonsensical esports slant is being bankrolled by by old people who heard that WOW ESPORTS ARE BIG BUSINESSS THESE DAYS without any understanding that the development of something into a viable thing involves a lot more aspects than funding a flashy ill thought out tournament series.

This isn't really fighting game related, but there are tons of NBA teams straight up investing millions of dollars into developing NBA2K teams associated to their franchise, and maybe I'm just the definition of "not the target audience" but to me that's so ludicrously a bad idea that my only explanation is overeager old people with lots of money.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 6, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CRISPYBABY posted:

Ya. Watching a game be designed for the ground up for BIG TOURNAMENTS AND HIGHLY SKILLED COMPETITION is always sad/funny when it caps out at 20 people on release. Just make a good game and support the scene instead of forcing it.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

In Training posted:

I'd qualify this with "designing a new game for eSports is stupid". Like, if you are making the latest SF, Tekken, etc, eSports is important because it's a huge point of engagement/promotion for your game. But the ecosystem and excitement already exists. If you are dropping something completely new, you don't have all of that momentum behind you already, so people aren't going to give a poo poo unless your game is so good it's worth playing over something that already exists.