Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PirateDentist posted:

"I didn't, but it's not like it's gonna get any more broken."

I use this constantly, people running around like the world is on fire, I'm just sitting there thinking "It can't get MORE broken, I'm gonna push this and see what happens"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

MF_James posted:

I use this constantly, people running around like the world is on fire, I'm just sitting there thinking "It can't get MORE broken, I'm gonna push this and see what happens"

It can always get worse. Doesn't mean you should run like the world's on fire all the time but at least: I'm gonna push this, it should work, but if it doesn't at most it'll be the same.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Volguus posted:

It can always get worse. Doesn't mean you should run like the world's on fire all the time but at least: I'm gonna push this, it should work, but if it doesn't at most it'll be the same.

It was a little bit of hyperbole

Obviously I'm making informed decisions and not pressing the self-destruct button. 90% of the time it's entirely possible to just restore a machine if it gets too far gone, so I'm a little more apt to hammer at things on those systems, but something where restores aren't a good option due to extra work getting $$$_Shitty_Application working again I'm a bit more careful.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

A phone call came in.

"We need you in classroom 13. A student just vomited on their computer."

Yup, puked dead center on their Chromebook. Didn't even try to turn their head. Hardly made a noise; teacher didn't even know until the kid walked up and said she didn't feel good. The teacher cleaned most of it off, but there was still stuff in between the keys and residue on the screen.

I was set to just throw it out, but the tech coach and principal wanted to pull salvageable parts from it. Keyboard & track pad/palm rest were trashed, but I pulled the rest and cleaned it with anti viral cleanser. Motherboard didn't have anything on it, but the screen and the battery had an appreciable amount of liquid on them. I'll see how they work next week.

17 years working in schools, and this is the first puked-on device I've ever encountered.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

I was set to just throw it out, but the tech coach and principal wanted to pull salvageable parts from it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

"Yeah, sorry, nothing was salvageable, the vomit got everywhere"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pyroclastic posted:

I was set to just throw it out, but the tech coach and principal wanted to pull salvageable parts from it.

I would have just handed them the screwdrivers then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlternateAccount posted:

MS is pushing the Surface line at a level of desperation that's really off-putting.
Someone in my company has been emailing all the staff that have access to them asking for feedback. Apparently "we don't use them because they are impractical for our purposes" was not the desired feedback.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

A phone call came in.

Yup, puked dead center on their Chromebook. Didn't even try to turn their head. Hardly made a noise; teacher didn't even know until the kid walked up and said she didn't feel good. The teacher cleaned most of it off, but there was still stuff in between the keys and residue on the screen.

I was set to just throw it out, but the tech coach and principal wanted to pull salvageable parts from it. Keyboard & track pad/palm rest were trashed, but I pulled the rest and cleaned it with anti viral cleanser. Motherboard didn't have anything on it, but the screen and the battery had an appreciable amount of liquid on them. I'll see how they work next week.

17 years working in schools, and this is the first puked-on device I've ever encountered.

lol why did you even agree to that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spankmeister posted:

lol why did you even agree to that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Sorry I don't have the training nor the suitable PPE to deal with biohazardous waste."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

"Sorry I don't have the training nor the suitable PPE to deal with biohazardous waste."

This is a bridge that I was taught not to cross as a union cart bitch lol

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pyroclastic posted:

A phone call came in.

Congratulations you are now also the janitor.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Renegret posted:

I'm surprised nobody's thrown it by now.

Honestly I would've done it by my 3rd day on the job

That’s more of a last day on the job thing.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

Congratulations you are now also the janitor.

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › [SPAM] FW: RE: A Puke Came In - You are now also the janitor

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

We're strapped for devices and spare parts, sadly. My principal was actually the one to do the disassembly at my direction and took the bad parts. I just put on some gloves and wiped the screen and battery down.
And we are all trained for cleanup like this, actually. Part of working in a school.

And I just heard of a fresh broken headphone jack in another Chromebook, so that motherboard might be put to use already.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pyroclastic posted:

Congrats, this is even more disgusting than my spec bucket laptop. I hope by "anti-viral clenser" you don't just mean hand sanitizer either.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Congrats, this is even more disgusting than my spec bucket laptop. I hope by "anti-viral clenser" you don't just mean hand sanitizer either.

No, I think spec bucket still "wins"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sirotan posted:

No way IMO, spec bucket still leads by a lot.

Pretty much every adult has cleaned up vomit at a few times in their life. Most people by the time they're through college have cleaned up someone else's at least once. If you have a pet or a small child it's less a matter of if you've cleaned up vomit that wasn't yours and more a question of how many times this year.

I'm sure that your story being posted on this forum has at least quadrupled the number of people on the planet who are even aware of the concept of a spec bucket. Since it's a safe bet the majority of those reading the IT threads here have a Y chromosome I'd imagine a fair number of those people weren't even aware of what a speculum was or what it might be used for until your post.

I don't know about you but I'd usually prefer familiar forms of nasty to new ones, especially ones made from multiple people. At least I know how to handle it.

I mean, presumably (god I hope) yours didn't have chunks in it but that's about the only positive as I see it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Happily I have avoided cleaning up other people's puke until now. Long may this state persist.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of reasons I don't have kids. This is definitely one of them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanatosian posted:

There are a lot of reasons I don't have kids. This is definitely one of them.

It wasn't his kid's vomit.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dogs and cats usually clean up their own

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

oh rly posted:

I am trying to get vending machines at my org for the same type of consumable equipment.

Do you have any issues with people hoarding?
Is there someone who periodically reviews what groups/users are consuming the equipment excessively?
Do you ever reload the vending machines with returned equipment?

I’m not directly involved with the ending machines except as a consumer but since we have to badge to get supplies, I imagine there is tracking going on.

Our badge system is pretty top notch so I imagine if I started grabbing kit past a certain threshold there’d be auto notifications and rejections somehow.

Reloading used gear? All the stuff is fresh in new wrapping so I doubt it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Edit:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Dogs and cats usually clean up their own

Mine sure as poo poo don’t

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Agrikk posted:

Edit:

Mine sure as poo poo don’t

I have one cat that produces most of the puke and another that cleans most of it up for me. Sort of a win-win?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I thought that was the use case for having a cat and a dog in the first place.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hello I'm calling in regards of a ticket. The ticket number is

zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero twenty-two-oh-one

*actually means 20201*

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
At this point I'm callous enough that I just interrupt those kinds of callers and say "Just the last 4 digits please, thanks!"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

The Macaroni posted:

At this point I'm callous enough that I just interrupt those kinds of callers and say "Just the last 4 digits please, thanks!"

But 0201 is not the same as 20201?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SEKCobra posted:

But 0201 is not the same as 20201?

Unless the first digit has been 2 for the past six months and you know it will continue to be 2 for another six.

But we only do that internally when speaking with fellow ticket monkies who stare at numbers for hours a day. We're crazy enough that we started an office pool to see who guess when we'd hit ticket 1,000,000

e: I was a solid 3 weeks too early.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If there's leading zeros then feel free to track them internally, but just hide them from the user for the sake of making things easy. Or use alphanumeric non-sequential ticket IDs to keep things short and sweet, like Dell service tags manage.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Renegret posted:

Unless the first digit has been 2 for the past six months and you know it will continue to be 2 for another six.
This. I also wish I could hide the leading zeros, but I'm not at that paygrade and nobody listens to me.

Seriously, at my last job I worked with a system vendor to run a background script that incremented all IDs until they started with a leading 1 or 2. I asked at this job if we could do the same and was told "No" with no reason.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We had a mini Y2K-esque scare about a year ago, it was really good.

Most of our tools and scripts were pet projects from employees who weren't professional programmers that became "official" because they were such a huge QOL improvement. Most of those also hard coded the leading 0s and assumed 6 digit ticket numbers because, at this rate we'll never hit 7 digits!

Then management rolled out ticket automation where every alert automatically generated a ticket, and the ticket was automatically closed out if it went away within 15 minutes. Suddenly we're generating 2-3 thousand tickets a day and, hey, at this rate we'll hit a 7 digits in just a few months...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

We had a mini Y2K-esque scare about a year ago, it was really good.

Most of our tools and scripts were pet projects from employees who weren't professional programmers that became "official" because they were such a huge QOL improvement. Most of those also hard coded the leading 0s and assumed 6 digit ticket numbers because, at this rate we'll never hit 7 digits!

Then management rolled out ticket automation where every alert automatically generated a ticket, and the ticket was automatically closed out if it went away within 15 minutes. Suddenly we're generating 2-3 thousand tickets a day and, hey, at this rate we'll hit a 7 digits in just a few months...

Let me guess, you also don't have the source code anymore. That will be fun. :allears:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zil posted:

Let me guess, you also don't have the source code anymore. That will be fun. :allears:

nah, most of it was excel macros. Which is not something to be proud of.

The few things that weren't excel macros were so horribly out of date that they needed a complete replacement anyway, so it turned out to be a non issue. It just caused a new wave of tools written by non-programmers to pushed out, allowing the cycle to continue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The idea of hardcoding leading zeroes into something is so loving bad on so many levels. Amazing.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

nah, most of it was excel macros. Which is not something to be proud of.

The few things that weren't excel macros were so horribly out of date that they needed a complete replacement anyway, so it turned out to be a non issue. It just caused a new wave of tools written by non-programmers to pushed out, allowing the cycle to continue.

"Well we narrowly avoided that one only by sheer luck, lets do nothing different and hope it doesn't happen again!"

Management thinking is so amazing at times.

Edit: I also heard some good news the other day, the manager who had downsized me right before Christmas last year, has themselves been downsized as of last week. The outsourcing did not go as planned and ended up costing more money. Who could have guessed that!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inspector_666 posted:

The idea of hardcoding leading zeroes into something is so loving bad on so many levels. Amazing.

The guy who's writing the current tool du jour responds to complaints about frequent crashing by saying "it wouldn't crash if you used it correctly". What is error handling??????????

I started making my own but I'm having trouble caring about this place to do any more than the bare minimum to actually finish. And what I already wrote in the past, I don't share, and nobody knows it exists :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zil posted:

"Well we narrowly avoided that one only by sheer luck, lets do nothing different and hope it doesn't happen again!"

Management thinking is so amazing at times.

It's actually worse than that. It's all unofficial and unsupported by management. We're on our own for the tools needed to do our own jobs. That also means we're testing in production! If it stops working, management doesn't care, and it's not their problem. But we're on the hook for being unable to function. Just to be clear, the ability to automate is absolutely not part of the job description and very few people are capable of it.

It's part of the terrible disconnect between my direct management and the employees they manage.