Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hot drat !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I like it. Hope there is more Queen in the series proper.

Also, I think Tennant is doing a bit of a Bill-Nighy-in-Love-Actually impression, no?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eh. 'Sallright. I'll reserve my hype until seeing more of the cast.

Tennant definitely nails Crowley, Sheen's Aziraphale is... not really what the book brought to my mind

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hmm. Also, that’s not the pronunciation of Crowley I’ve had in my head. I’ve always heard it like Aleister Crowley (rhyming with cow-lee).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I think his name was actually Crawly for a while.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

Hmm. Also, that’s not the pronunciation of Crowley I’ve had in my head. I’ve always heard it like Aleister Crowley (rhyming with cow-lee).

Crowley rhyming with "crow" is the correct pronunciation of Aleister Crowley as well though

A vast number of people get that wrong

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phenotype posted:

It's been a while since I've read it, but I think his name was actually Crawly for a while.

Yeah, his name used to be Crawly because if I recall correctly he was the snake from Eden? And he changed it to Crowley.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, his name used to be Crawly because if I recall correctly he was the snake from Eden? And he changed it to Crowley.

Correct, because Crowley sounded more cool

I don't think the book makes even a passing reference to old Uncle Aleister

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was goddamned convinced that the actor playing Aziraphale is the same rear end in a top hat who played Moist in Going Postal. Same expression of dumb shock.

I don't actually remember much about the character in the original book (decades since I last read it) and I'm pretty sure Crowley took the leading role, so I can't exactly complain about a vibrant character being demoted to the "sissy comic relief sidekick", but still.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aziraphale in the book is pretty cool, he doesn't really mince so much as fret

Not really loving the way Sheen is playing him

When Gilliam was still attached the big rumor was Depp as Crowley and Robin Williams as Aziraphale, which I think could have been great

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

precision posted:

Aziraphale in the book is pretty cool, he doesn't really mince so much as fret

Not really loving the way Sheen is playing him

The moment they announced Sheen, I knew exactly how he’d play him, and it seems I was right.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Friends of Crowley remember he is holy, but foes say Crowley, in order to treat him foully.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
also that looks and will most likely be awesome, but I am really excited for and want to see troll bridge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hanales posted:

Friends of Crowley remember he is holy, but foes say Crowley, in order to treat him foully.

The song "Mr. Crowley" is probably most to blame

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
http://narrativia.com/watch.html?fbclid=IwAR0HXpRm1I5GHwBaddPPNy88UJpdRMnp_c0lPUUhJYBgCu5FJBM-GQwbcXY

BBC AMERICA GREENLIGHTS ORIGINAL SCRIPTED SERIES THE WATCH
New Punk Rock Thriller is Based on Sir Terry Pratchett’s “Discworld” Novels

New York – October 30, 2018 – On the heels of hit series Killing Eve and the introduction of the first female Doctor on Doctor Who, BBC AMERICA announced today the greenlight of the new original scripted series, The Watch, based on Sir Terry Pratchett’s wildly popular “Discworld” novels, which have sold more than 90 million books worldwide. The (8 x 60) series is produced by BBC Studios for BBC AMERICA. The Watch is distributed by BBC Studios.

The Watch is a punk rock thriller inspired by the legendary ‘City Watch’ subset of “Discworld” novels. This disruptive, character-driven thriller centers on Terry Pratchett’s misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness, from both the past and future in a perilous quest. Modern and inclusive, The Watch features many famous “Discworld” creations including City Watch Captain Sam Vimes, the last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin, the naïve but heroic Carrot, the mysterious Angua and the ingenious non-binary forensics expert Cheery together with Terry Pratchett’s iconic characterization of Death.

etc

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Source from another goon in the UK TV thread. Can't wait.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was looking at my bookcase last night because I'm preparing for the "what do you want for Yule?" questions from my family and it made me both sad and frustrated that all my old go-to answers in the form of "the new [author] novel would be nice" are invalid because the writers are dead. (Meaning Pratchett, Colin Dexter, and Reginald Hill. I know the latter two have been off the list for years now but I haven't been able to rustle up any replacements ever since.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
8 by 60 sounds good, when the idea was first raised I was concerned they wouldn't have the time to do something with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Source from another goon in the UK TV thread. Can't wait.

I've got it direct from Rob. It's real.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And now we wait.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
When they say 60 minutes, given its BBC America, will it be a "TV hour" of maybe 40ish minutes or actually an hour long?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What does "punk rock thriller" imply? I don't know if I'd use any of those words to describe the Watch books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

When they say 60 minutes, given its BBC America, will it be a "TV hour" of maybe 40ish minutes or actually an hour long?

Uncertain, but likely to be 60 minutes because it's BBC. Take a look at another BBC America project and see how it was billed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah that's an odd definition of punk rock.

I reckon it's the same kind of marketing thing that's lead us to "non-binary forensics expert" cause when I think of Cheery Littlebottom that's kinda, uh, not really her thing. At least not the way I understand non-binary. Pratchett dwarves are all about the binary. They might have changed that to better fit the 2018 sensitivities and that might actually work out quite well, but I dunno it just sounds like buzzwords.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Best news all week. The watch is my favorite series by far.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phenotype posted:

What does "punk rock thriller" imply? I don't know if I'd use any of those words to describe the Watch books.

Pessimist answer: it means it's going to suck major balls in the vein of Plunkett & Macleane.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Turns out Carrot is named for his hairdo.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
There will never be a good adaptation of Pratchett's work and I would be pleased if they stopped trying.

If they really cared, it would be a "thriller with rocks in it." And Cheery Littlebottom is absolutely binary -- she is female, and proud of it!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Screaming Idiot posted:

There will never be a good adaptation of Pratchett's work and I would be pleased if they stopped trying.

If they really cared, it would be a "thriller with rocks in it." And Cheery Littlebottom is absolutely binary -- she is female, and proud of it!

On one hand, yes, but on the other hand explaining Dwarf gender roles in a visual medium could be very, very fraught. Especially for an audience not necessarily coming from a high fantasy background where dwarves always only seem to come in male and beardy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Actually I think most people's exposure to dwarfs is entirely male and beardy, that's what Pratchett's whole female dwarf thing is supposed to be parodying. Lord of the Rings, all male and beardy. Snow White, all male and beardy. I think that would actually be a really easy thing to show on screen, actually, if they start with the first appearances of Cheery as an ordinary male beardy dwarf.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Turns out Carrot is named for his hairdo.

Featuring guest star carrot top.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Actually I think most people's exposure to dwarfs is entirely male and beardy, that's what Pratchett's whole female dwarf thing is supposed to be parodying. Lord of the Rings, all male and beardy. Snow White, all male and beardy. I think that would actually be a really easy thing to show on screen, actually, if they start with the first appearances of Cheery as an ordinary male beardy dwarf.
Exactly. I mean, that was basically the setup in the book.

Come to think of it though, an ordinary male bearded dwarf who starts wearing skirts, lipstick and earrings as the show goes on is definitely going to immediately register as nonbinary or trans to most viewers. At that point you get the shitstorm from alt-righters ("EVERYTHING HAS TO HAVE A TRANS CHARACTER, PC GONE MAD"). You also get a ton of support and praise except as soon as you explain that actually, female dwarves simply look the same as male dwarves, a good bit of that is gonna turn into a shitstorm from the other side ("TAKING AWAY MY IDENTIFICATION CHARACTER, VISIBILITY"). It's gonna take a fairly delicate touch, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Exactly. I mean, that was basically the setup in the book.

Come to think of it though, an ordinary male bearded dwarf who starts wearing skirts, lipstick and earrings as the show goes on is definitely going to immediately register as nonbinary or trans to most viewers. At that point you get the shitstorm from alt-righters ("EVERYTHING HAS TO HAVE A TRANS CHARACTER, PC GONE MAD"). You also get a ton of support and praise except as soon as you explain that actually, female dwarves simply look the same as male dwarves, a good bit of that is gonna turn into a shitstorm from the other side ("TAKING AWAY MY IDENTIFICATION CHARACTER, VISIBILITY"). It's gonna take a fairly delicate touch, I think.

Yeah, I can see a lot of the trans community getting up in arms. Cheery is basically a person forced to be trans who then chooses to identify as cis. Alt-righters would go "a-HA!" at this and start calling it out as the endgame of the I'm going to stop right here because I'm out of brain bleach, but they'd already be too busy hating it for the racial mixing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"Inspired by" the City Watch

I'll believe this is actually happening when I see it, and not before; and I will be hugely disappointed when they fail to cast Tony Stamp and Reg Hollis from The Bill as Fred Colon and Nobby Nobbs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hogfather is good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah despite being slightly compacted for time Hogfather really was the only one of those adaptions that was decent. Then they let David Jason hijack the future project that was the terrible Colour Of Magic.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SirSamVimes posted:

Hogfather is good.

No

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah despite being slightly compacted for time Hogfather really was the only one of those adaptions that was decent. Then they let David Jason hijack the future project that was the terrible Colour Of Magic.

I honestly enjoyed all the adaptations. They weren’t amazing but they were good enough for a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

You take that back, Danny Blue was an amazing Mr. Teatime.