Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

i mean, i don't think so, it's pretty much just a gamble the whole time

Tried to play it with a group last night and it just wasn't fun and took forever. Animations are tiresome and abundant, too many dynamics going on, item store, just takes forever to get going and didn't feel accessible at all. Awful joycon controls

I get some/all of these ~features~ may have been in the game before, and maybe my opinion is bad & alone, but the game just sucks through and through imo

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/draggggggggggon/status/1048405776945967110?s=21

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fallom posted:

I think there's one music note puzzle that requires you do this and I hated it. I couldn't get the analog stick alternative to work reliably at all.

The one I never bothered to finish, among the many I probably didn't find, was the one that has you running downhill along the edge of the Forest Kingdom. A misstep would either land you in the abyss or at the start so trying to get back to the beginning of those notes was a pain in the rear end, so I just stopped. Another reason I hated that Kingdom, whose saving grace, as I've said before, was it's incredibly good music.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Only goons can complain about something that is optional that they enabled as "arbitrary". Try selecting "no" when Toad asks if you want bonus stars.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fight! For your kite! posted:

Last turn, Peach is within 4 spots of getting 3 stars. She loads up her fixed die, and chooses to roll a 1 to land on a bad luck space.

Hardest A.I.

I had Waluigi buy an 8 coin item when he already had a full inventory and then discarded the item he just bought

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Leal posted:

Only goons can complain about something that is optional that they enabled as "arbitrary". Try selecting "no" when Toad asks if you want bonus stars.
Wait, is that an option?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Why even want to play online? We made idiots you can play with right here!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The AI definitely needs a patch.
It also sucks at rafting. Solo Hard Mode is basically entirely luck, because the other three idiots in the boat will gently caress up all kinds of things on the way, so even S-ranks of every game won't help.

I mean, I don't expect four humans to do any better, but...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Leal posted:

What sick human being would turn bonus stars off in Mario Party? :stare:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is new Mario Party worth getting? I'd need to get another pair of joycons also but have a bunch of friends that enjoy more casual games.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Spacebump posted:

Is new Mario Party worth getting? I'd need to get another pair of joycons also but have a bunch of friends that enjoy more casual games.

If you don’t have people who want to play then don’t get it. Don’t get it if you need to spend more money either. Lots of good games coming on the Switch, PC and elsewhere (or recently came out) that are a better choice. For 60 dollars it’s priced too high in my opinion, a good deal would be 40-50 which you’ll be able to get within a month or two.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 6, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Spacebump posted:

not in my--bad--opinion, it's pretty bland/lame, and well, poo poo overall

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Wait, is that an option?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is that screenshot from the newest game?

Luck based elements are fine to have in what's supposed to be a silly party game, but the bonus stars really make it feel like nothing you do in the game matters at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean the bonus stars are based on what you do in the game. They aren’t awarded randomly

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Spacebump posted:

it's good if you have friends who like to have fun

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bonus stars help players who were doing well in the mini-games but had bad luck on the board

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

velvet milkman posted:

it's good if you have friends who like to have fun

Though this applies to most multiplayer games so it’s kind of meaningless

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean the bonus stars are based on what you do in the game. They aren’t awarded randomly
They are. Toad picks random criteria for bonus stars. Toad can even award "The player to beat most minigames" in a team match where you only played team games, so the chosen team gets 2 stars off that alone.

"The player to activate the most events" going to three players out of four is also a favourite.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

They are. Toad picks random criteria for bonus stars. Toad can even award "The player to beat most minigames" in a team match where you only played team games, so the chosen team gets 2 stars off that alone.

"The player to activate the most events" going to three players out of four is also a favourite.

If they have conditions they by definition can’t be random.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
personally I've always played with bonus stars and never lost a game of mario party thanks for listening

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you know what all the possible bonus stars are (there's usually 6 and it picks 3 randomly) you can work towards trying to fulfill the conditions if you want to.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

If they have conditions they by definition can’t be random.
I read that as there being a bunch of different criteria bonus stars, and Toad picks at random from those options. E;fb like so:

Regy Rusty posted:

(there's usually 6 and it picks 3 randomly)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

(there's usually 6 and it picks 3 randomly)
SMP Toad picks two conditions out of a hat at random.
There may be a reward for the most coins, or there may be one for sticking with an ally, or using the most items, or moving the most, or moving the least, having the most events or whatever...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

SMP Toad picks two conditions out of a hat at random.
There may be a reward for the most coins, or there may be one for sticking with an ally, or using the most items, or moving the most, or moving the least, having the most events or whatever...

Huh I had no idea they added so many more for this one. In that case I agree it kinda sucks.

From what I'm finding on google there may be as many as 10 or more possibilities and some (like most or least traveled spaces) are directly contradictory. That's lame

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Anyone waiting for the GENKI USB C wireless Bluetooth adapter and is it too good to be true? It should be coming out in the next couple months and sounds like something I would like very much.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get jack box for your casual gamer bros

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
just had boo gently caress us straight up

he rolled like a 16 with all his allies & items, got a star, the star landed on his path, he got that one, it landed on his path AGAIN but 1 spot past his 16 spots and i was like cool he has no money this is fine, gets a shitload of coins in minigames and then rolls huge again and gets 2 more stars, one from a hidden block he landed on

then bowser activated the king bob-omb and everyone but boo got bombed

edit: then he got the most allies star

:xcom:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

just had boo gently caress us straight up

he rolled like a 16 with all his allies & items, got a star, the star landed on his path, he got that one, it landed on his path AGAIN but 1 spot past his 16 spots and i was like cool he has no money this is fine, gets a shitload of coins in minigames and then rolls huge again and gets 2 more stars, one from a hidden block he landed on

then bowser activated the king bob-omb and everyone but boo got bombed

That's Mario Party for ya.

Though it does remind me of the time where I- as Monty Mole- used a Gold Pipe to yank the star away from Peach, then immediately after hired Lakitu to steal the one she had on hand.

I had four stars at the end of the match.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Anyone waiting for the GENKI USB C wireless Bluetooth adapter and is it too good to be true? It should be coming out in the next couple months and sounds like something I would like very much.

Is this the Kickstarter thing that supposedly lets you use AirPods with low latency? It seems waaaaay too good to be true at the price they're selling so I'm gonna hold off for reviews.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kiranamos posted:

Didn't know what this was so I looked it up and the first comment was

quote:

When will Get GENKI: Bluetooth october date in October this month in October need know when will have shipping out to me in October can you tell me have it shipping out to me in October can you tell when will shipping out for me can you tell me when will shipping out for the people this month in October 2018 can you please tell when will shipping out for the people can you please tell me when will shipping out this month of October more stuff about it in October need stuff on it in October

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...medium=facebook

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can change it now in Fortnite to work more like how Splatoon does it. It lets you choose between yaw or roll gyro.

bushisms.txt posted:

That's actually a toggle setting, now. You're describing roll, which is great for handheld and sometimes pro controller, but you can switch it to yaw, which is what I have it set for my joycons.

Yeah this. Anytime I see complaints about fortnite gyro, i just assume they haven't touched it since there devs started messing with it. It's really good now. I even play with no aim assist for better accuracy, since auto aim makes it harder to lead shots.
Oh cool thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kiranamos posted:

I kinda feel like it’s basically this thing (generic thing under multiple brands) in a nicer packaging (...or just as likely, that thing is a quick preproduction copy of the Genki to beat it to market).

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nice, it's too bad you can't charge, but it's a realistic consideration in 2018

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

How is Mario party with controllers? My guest controllers are some third party ones with no motion sensors, would it be a good idea to get some more joycons for it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

japtor posted:

I kinda feel like it’s basically this thing (generic thing under multiple brands) in a nicer packaging (...or just as likely, that thing is a quick preproduction copy of the Genki to beat it to market).

If this one has a charging port, it's probably better 😮

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Polyakov posted:

How is Mario party with controllers? My guest controllers are some third party ones with no motion sensors, would it be a good idea to get some more joycons for it.

No controllers supported, one joycon per player.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Polyakov posted:

you definitely want joycons, nothing without motion is supported afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

good thing I got these new fancy switch controllers with the gyro