Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

I don’t think nBSD is defending SELinux, but defending MAC in general which is implemented in lots of systems including other BSDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

I don’t think nBSD is defending SELinux, but defending MAC in general which is implemented in lots of systems including other BSDs

mac is selinux plus rounding errors

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

Shaggar posted:

mac is linux plus rounding errors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

openbsd may be a shitshow but holy poo poo is someone defending selinux itt

selinux is necessary and important whether you like it or not

also lol @ using any kind of on-machine firewall. do a proper security group ffs and if you have to manage physical machines just kill yourself now

he was talking about using openbsd as a network firewall, which is loving lol

herp derp just let me set up this $3,000, 1 kw xeon to handle as much traffic as a $250 embedded machine with eight cores that consumes 15w

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
a working MAC framework is table stakes to pretend your OS is secure

windows is unironically a better security posture than openbsd

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

he was talking about using openbsd as a network firewall, which is loving lol

herp derp just let me set up this $3,000, 1 kw xeon to handle as much traffic as a $250 embedded machine with eight cores that consumes 15w

i said nothing of the sort, now you're just talking trash nbsd

about 250 would cover fine hardware for the task

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Oh you're one of those idiots.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be honest, selinux *today* is much better than it was when it was released

most notably, if you can work with existing packages, then you don’t really have to do any configuration beyond maybe setting a couple of flags and maybe running restorecon (the latter of which usually fixes all of my issues)

I run a couple of servers with selinux turned up to 11 and I barely have to think about it unless I am installing something. And I have the peace of mind that root-owned processes won’t be able to mess with each other because of selinux

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

On the other hand, of course, we are hurtling towards a containerized future where selinux probably sits on the back burner forever

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a working MAC framework is table stakes to pretend your OS is secure

windows is unironically a better security posture than openbsd

orrr I can acknowledge that my os is a piece of poo poo and as a bonus never touch selinux ever

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
once all the motherboards have rogue firmware roms it won't matter

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

once all the motherboards have rogue firmware roms it won't matter

This is already a thing, and they're all owned by China, hth

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nowadays Selinux notifies you of issues and tells you exactly which commands to run to fix them. It's p deece.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

openbsd has a good starting point for its brand of security: eliminate bugs by minimalism and careful inspection

they failed to draw the really obvious conclusion "we need to drop c for something high-level and get the support of some formal verification tools" however

lot is little research projects in that direction, a bit surprising that nothing has quite made it into art least openbsd levels of mainstream

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i, for one, find it weird that nbsd's been on a good opinions streak lately

who kidnapped nbsd and replaced him

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

plot twist, nbsd is actually linus

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Nowadays Selinux notifies you of issues and tells you exactly which commands to run to fix them. It's p deece.

if it already knows the commands it should just do it itself :colbert:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

if it already knows the commands it should just do it itself :colbert:

when the issue is “program tried to do something but was blocked” you really want a human in the loop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

i said nothing of the sort, now you're just talking trash nbsd

about 250 would cover fine hardware for the task

250 will not get you a server that will do gigabit with the openbsd firewall stack, friend

not even close

remember this is single-threaded code from the early 1990s. it was written as a replacement of ipf but is somehow even slower than ipf

meanwhile embedded cores with multithreaded stacks (edit: meaning, Linux) have no trouble doing 1 MPPS or more, potentially kissing 10 gbps if jumbo frames are enabled

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 7, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

el dorito posted:

On the other hand, of course, we are hurtling towards a containerized future where selinux probably sits on the back burner forever

selinux and containers are two great tastes that taste great together. aside from simple namespacing, none of the extant container tools have any kind of security story, because it's assumed you'll use selinux to manage that problem

selinux from day one was designed to be parameterized. it's fairly straightforward to write a global policy that applies to all containers, but give each one its own set of contexts/labels for files

you really couldn't have a better fit

and you never have to worry about corner cases, because the containerized processes aren't meant to touch anything outside their labeled area, anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

openbsd has a good starting point for its brand of security: eliminate bugs by minimalism and careful inspection

cute, but stupid

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

250 will not get you a server that will do gigabit with the openbsd firewall stack, friend

not even close

remember this is single-threaded code from the early 1990s. it was written as a replacement of ipf but is somehow even slower than ipf

meanwhile embedded cores with multithreaded stacks have no trouble doing 1 MPPS or more, potentially kissing 10 gbps if jumbo frames are enabled

you can, i built one myself with 5 gb lan ports a few months ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

you can, i built one myself with 5 gb lan ports a few months ago

this just keeps getting better and better

so your envisioned niche for openbsd is building insecure edge nodes, that handle pitiful amounts of traffic, on hardware you bolted together yourself in a basement

this does indeed sound like the average use case for openbsd

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

selinux and containers are two great tastes that taste great together. aside from simple namespacing, none of the extant container tools have any kind of security story, because it's assumed you'll use selinux to manage that problem

selinux from day one was designed to be parameterized. it's fairly straightforward to write a global policy that applies to all containers, but give each one its own set of contexts/labels for files

you really couldn't have a better fit

and you never have to worry about corner cases, because the containerized processes aren't meant to touch anything outside their labeled area, anyway

great now convince my boss and whoever else controls the purse strings that selinux is a good thing to allocate an FTE to. also, files? really? this is tyool 2018. attackers accessing files is 100% not a concern

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

aside from simple namespacing, none of the extant container tools have any kind of security story

eh? acbuild+rkt have first class support for the ACI isolator framework which supports seccomp and linux caps (in addition to playing nicely with selinux, apparmor, and pax/grsec)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rufus Ping posted:

eh? acbuild+rkt have first class support for the ACI isolator framework which supports seccomp and linux caps (in addition to playing nicely with selinux, apparmor, and pax/grsec)

docker also defaults to using caps

but seccomp and caps are weak as gently caress

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

great now convince my boss and whoever else controls the purse strings that selinux is a good thing to allocate an FTE to.

that's your job

if you want to pay me enough i can make it my job haha

also, files? really? this is tyool 2018. attackers accessing files is 100% not a concern

ok just give everyone global access to /dev/kmem and enjoy?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this just keeps getting better and better

so your envisioned niche for openbsd is building insecure edge nodes, that handle pitiful amounts of traffic, on hardware you bolted together yourself in a basement

this does indeed sound like the average use case for openbsd

wanting a less costly alternative to a juniper box or other commercially available solution and opting instead for a nice, custom system with quality hardware just saves money, it's not an inferior solution. pf works great, but by all means don't use it idfc :)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

wanting a less costly alternative to a juniper box or other commercially available solution and opting instead for a nice, custom system with quality hardware just saves money, it's not an inferior solution. pf works great, but by all means don't use it idfc :)

you are a self-parody

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you are a self-parody

i think it's funny you say this, given that pfsense is an incredibly common, robust firewall solution using inexpensive hardware; it's based on FreeBSD. yet for some reason to you this is, or openbsd an incredibly shoddy solution because it's not what you use. every time it comes up you post all this crap about poo poo that doesn't matter

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

i think it's funny you say this, given that pfsense is an incredibly common, robust firewall solution using inexpensive hardware; it's based on FreeBSD. yet for some reason to you this is an incredibly shoddy solution because it's not what you use. every time it comes up you post all this crap about poo poo that doesn't matter

freebsd is decades ahead of openbsd. we already went over this

aside from the mouthbreathing chuds who worship theo, no one would choose openbsd for an edge device

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
p.s. pfsense is extremely uncommon

this should not be surprising. it's not really a security thing. just very few network teams or small business sysadmins want to deal with the level of bullshit involved in provisioning a unix box

vendors will sell you cheap boxes with more canned functionality using dedicated hardware instead of hot, hungry x86

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. pfsense is extremely uncommon

this should not be surprising. it's not really a security thing. just very few network teams or small business sysadmins want to deal with the level of bullshit involved in provisioning a unix box

vendors will sell you cheap boxes with more canned functionality using dedicated hardware instead of hot, hungry x86

there's a bunch of nice hardware for embedded and low power consumption out that you can easily run unix on now, actually. just depends on what you want to go with. i mean, you can do some large projects with it easily, like netflix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

there's a bunch of nice hardware for embedded and low power consumption out that you can easily run unix on now, actually.

for values of unix meaning "linux," yes. embedded vendors don't spend a lot of time on porting hardware offware code to dead operating systems. even when network SoCs have netbsd support, often the network offload hardware is broken and only the switch + control plane work

pfsense relies on a single-threaded firewall so if you want to handle more than a trickle of traffic you will need a very big, hot x86 chip

those issues aside, the reason pfsense is unpopular is not that it's slow.

it's that the people who provision network equipment don't want to design and deploy a unix box for anything. that's not worth their time or money, and they'd rather have a canned solution from juniper / f5 / cisco / etc.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 7, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
the openbsd guys are aok in my book because they forked OpenSSL and are fixing the bullshit nightmare that is it’s code base.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

the openbsd guys are aok in my book because they forked OpenSSL and are fixing the bullshit nightmare that is it’s code base.

yeah that's good and cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also openssh

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pfsense relies on a single-threaded firewall so if you want to handle more than a trickle of traffic you will need a very big, hot x86 chip

those issues aside, the reason pfsense is unpopular is not that it's slow.

it's that the people who provision network equipment don't want to design and deploy a unix box for anything. that's not worth their time or money, and they'd rather have a canned solution from juniper / f5 / cisco / etc.

I think the pfSense were working on fixing firewall performance with their new Netgate funding, but they've also pushed themselves into being just another hardware vendor with a peculiar mix of software. I'd rather take a Ubiquiti box running their EdgeOS flavour of Vyatta though as it's just less poo poo (TM).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I have a couple cheap & tiny little MIPS Linux boards using a router SoC

been thinking about benchmarking them versus say my SGI Indy, I wonder how many times faster they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

building your own when you can buy a box that does the job is for college students and other poors. it is never a correct business decision