Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

extremely normal

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

infernal machines posted:

...so i paid seventy five thousand dollars for a walking potato in a tiedye t-shirt to tell me that my stereo still can't play music properly?

tbf this is the same for pretty much every car stereo manufactured after they took away tape decks. I've driven in A8Ls where there's a 1 second latency when you adjust the volume.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

the a8l is a baller rear end ride. just drove an X2 M-sport today with the best sounding H/K system I've ever heard in a stock car tho so maybe things are getting better.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
one of my old bosses had a Mini Goodwood which has the interior done by Rolls Royce, and that's honestly the most ideal car I can think of.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

FrozenVent posted:

2018 is the year of Linux on the dashboard

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

FrozenVent posted:

2018 is the year of Linux on the dashboard

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

fandom is a scary thing to happen to someone :(

(edit) becoming a fan of something i mean, in the way that guy apparently is for tesla. fandom just seems like a fuckin disease in that respect

at least if you become a fan of linux or something, the only thing you're wasting is your time

becoming a fan of something that costs sixty grand apiece, on the other hand, is something special

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ntsb-investigating-tesla-crash-fire-killed-florida-teens/story?id=55062449

Two teens died after crashing and burning in a Tesla

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
wow that sucks

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
drat sounds like they couldn't get the doors open

really loving hope that was not the product of tesla door fuckery

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it turns out they couldn't open the doors to get out I wonder if that will lead to a recall of all Teslas?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mystes posted:

If it turns out they couldn't open the doors to get out I wonder if that will lead to a recall of all Teslas?

only if the government demands it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Peeny Cheez posted:

I think he :gizz: in his khakis at the thought of possibly being noticed by Daddy Elon

hmm, the cars next to him are wet. so it's probably water that soaked into his pants crotch from the cars during the customary pre-delivery frottage session

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

really loving hope that was not the product of tesla door fuckery

no matter the reason, it sounds like they were trying to get out but couldn’t. i hope it was the door design—at least then their deaths will help expose this truly stupid setup.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

President Beep posted:

no matter the reason, it sounds like they were trying to get out but couldn’t. i hope it was the door design—at least then their deaths will help expose this truly stupid setup.

u fukken short!!! !

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

prisoner of waffles posted:

u fukken short!!! !

please stop conspiring with shaggar to heightshame me. :mad:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

hmm, the cars next to him are wet. so it's probably water that soaked into his pants crotch from the cars during the customary pre-delivery frottage session
Ah, now that makes sense. Emulating his idol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

President Beep posted:

please stop conspiring with shaggar to heightshame me. :mad:DE PLANE, BOSS! DE PLANE!
ftfy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bazingas sucked me off?????

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

quick reminder of the impact detonation of 18650 batteries

Model S has over 8000 of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgbmCSmSNY&t=119s

same video, trying to add water to an opened Cell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgbmCSmSNY&t=288s

same video, Battery Cook-off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgbmCSmSNY&t=365s

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 7, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lord, i wish i dressed that well...

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

President Beep posted:

lord, i wish i dressed that well...
I imagine that your wardrobe options are somewhat constrained

Only registered members can see post attachments!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i only made scale for that gig.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

iunno, Florida high school students that had a model s? there's a decent chance this was a net win.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

quick reminder of the impact detonation of 18650 batteries

Model S has over 8000 of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgbmCSmSNY&t=119s

same video, trying to add water to an opened Cell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgbmCSmSNY&t=288s

same video, Battery Cook-off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgbmCSmSNY&t=365s

srsly it runs on ecig batteries? lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

srsly it runs on ecig batteries? lol

this is the only good part of the car, that it runs on ecig batteries, yes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well only the ones up to about 2017 run on ecig 18650s

the later models use the gigafactory batteries, which are 2mm larger in diameter and 5mm longer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

woah. they make their own batteries. is that necessary?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Elon Musk actually invented the idea of making batteries out of lots of individual cells.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mystes posted:

Elon Musk actually invented the idea of making batteries out of lots of individual cells.

:hmmyes:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mystes posted:

wow! i mean, i knew he invented the electric car, but this just makes me revere senpai even more!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ok srs q tho why use ecig batteries. I have a hard time believing they need to sustain 80 kA from the battery pack

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they're arranged in series modules of about 100 cells, giving ~370v and about 3Ah per module, and then there are 70 or so of those modules to give about 200Ah. 200Ah * 370v ~= 75kWh from 7,000 individual cells.

each module can discharge at like, i dunno, let's say 5C for battery safety which gives us 15A per module and 1000A from the pack at maximum discharge. the fuse that the ludicrous mode teslas use is rated for 1500A so that sounds like our numbers are in the right ballpark

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 7, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

they're arranged in series modules of about 100 cells, giving ~370v and about 3Ah per module, and then there are 70 or so of those modules to give about 200Ah. 200Ah * 370v ~= 75kWh.

ok and so my question is why that instead of eg 100 200Ah cells. I’m sure there’s a reason I just kinda hope it’s not “well 18650s were cheapest on alibaba”

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ok srs q tho why use ecig batteries. I have a hard time believing they need to sustain 80 kA from the battery pack

if you stick a bunch of batteries together in series it makes a larger battery

mystes
May 31, 2006

You could call it a "battery" of batteries.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jesus Christ you don’t need to mansplain me I got a dick

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'd imagine it's some combination of economies of scale (the factories are already set up to make 18650s), packaging (easier to cram in more batteries if you build them from thousands of small units), and sheer capability (they didn't have the engineering staff to design their own cells)

it seems like it's just the transitional thing you do tbh. the first generation insight and prius both used a bank of a few hundred nimh cells wired up in series. as hybrids took off, honda and toyota developed custom battery packs that were better suited to the vehicle. tesla hasn't done that either because they think their giant pile o' cans is a better strategy, or because they still haven't got the engineering and production capability to do anything else. the fact that they did try to make their own battery but only succeeded in making the same thing but a tiny bit larger suggests to me that it's the latter.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 7, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ok and so my question is why that instead of eg 100 200Ah cells. I’m sure there’s a reason I just kinda hope it’s not “well 18650s were cheapest on alibaba”

Not on alibaba but yes, because it's cheap and deec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Oh man just wait until next year when we gonna have 2:19 on 2/19 2019

man, I'm gonna have to make it a family day extra long weekend