Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hellraiser as a franchise can easily be described thus. 1 is pretty good, 2 is where it tumbles off the cliff (but it's still okay because it's got such a height to fall from), 3 is where it hits the ground, and 4 is where the corpse begins digging deeper underground and never stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
There's no such thing as a good Hellraiser movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The first one is a bona fide masterpiece.

I kinda like the one that is just Jacob's Ladder but with two references to the puzzle box thrown in. But it's definitely a Hellraiser in name only. I should probably watch the space one with Adam Scott this spooktober

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
The Hellraiser movie Andrew and Steve keep referring to about Lance Henriksen's video game is a fantastic good-bad movie.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Big Bob Pataki posted:

The Hellraiser movie Andrew and Steve keep referring to about Lance Henriksen's video game is a fantastic good-bad movie.

That one is also one of the most blatant "this was originally another movie" scripts because it's basically a straight up slasher but pinhead shows up sometimes. I was under the impression that someone wrote a script about VIDEO GAME MURDERS due to the explosion of MMOS in the early 2000s but then no one wanted it so they made it Hellraiser.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 6, 2018

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Lance Henriksen shooting all of his scenes wearing the same clothes he wore on the plane ride over is actually cool as hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The first two Hellraisers are legit masterpieces (I actually like 2 more than 1). 3 is really bad and dumb, but also massively entertaining because it gives Doug Bradley so much scenery to chew. Everything past that is on a spectrum from completely wretched to kinda okayish.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The atmosphere and setting on Hellraiser 1 made the movie for me. That house was so beautiful, so it was especially tragic when the killings happened inside of it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

That one is also one of the most blatant "this was originally another movie" scripts because it's basically a straight up slasher but pinhead shows up sometimes. I was under the impression that someone wrote a script about VIDEO GAME MURDERS due to the explosion of MMOS in the early 2000s but then no one wanted it so they made it Hellraiser.

I was going to say the original intent of the script probably was a casualty of Stay Alive (that Frankie Muniz movie about a killer video game) being terrible but that came out a year later so who knows really.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m not huge on Hellraiser, but it seemed like a series that really lost its meaning early in the series. In the first movie wasn’t Pinhead and the cenobites described as beyond good and evil, and it was your choice to experience what they offered? I always thought that was interesting, he didn’t care if you were good or bad, he had such sights and experiences to show you. They killed Frank because he went back on their agreement. But then he turned into an evil slasher pretty quick. Didn’t they kill the cenobites in part 2 with the intention of making that evil woman the baddie moving forward?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Thinking about it, killing off the main villain(s) and then immediately backing out of that idea is a recurring trend in horror huh

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Cenobites and Pinhead were killed in II, but I seem to recall the Pinhead persona being separated from it's human host (Capt. Eliott Spencer) and becoming a being of pure evil in the third movie. Spencer was trapped in limbo after dying and Pinhead was a representation of Spencer's id.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Marin Karin posted:

Thinking about it, killing off the main villain(s) and then immediately backing out of that idea is a recurring trend in horror huh
Pretty much. Every studio has its fingers crossed that they're going to come up with the next Freddy/Michael/Jason/whoever money tree, so you gotta have that "it's all over OR IS IT?" ending every loving time.

Gonz posted:

The Cenobites and Pinhead were killed in II, but I seem to recall the Pinhead persona being separated from it's human host (Capt. Eliott Spencer) and becoming a being of pure evil in the third movie. Spencer was trapped in limbo after dying and Pinhead was a representation of Spencer's id.
Pinhead actually dies "for reals" at the end of the fourth one, which takes place in the future. So they managed to find a way to have an ending that totally kills the bad guy, no really, we swear, and still be able to make more movies with him

The Hellraiser wiki pages are a fascinating hole to waste an afternoon in. At least three of the ten movies were spec scripts that were rewritten to be shoehorned into the franchise, and the last two were so bad that Doug Bradley actually refused to play Pinhead.

Think about that. The last two movies were so bad he didn't want to be in them, but was in the ones that weren't even Hellraiser scripts to begin with.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Pinhead in the more recent found footage-y one looks like Private Pyle in green grease paint.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm about half an hour into the latest episode and I'm liking it but holy heck this is testing my limits on how many times I can hear four new yorkers say the word dog

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

dauwgz

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Eh, not the best episode. Looking forward to the Van Helsing episode though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Its kind of impressive how Mans Best Friend somehow manages to be both “batshit crazy” but “not nearly batshit crazy” enough. Like you have the acid piss and cat eating, but as the boys mentioned it’s not nearly as violent as it feels like it should be. And despite looking like an anime mad scientist, Lance Henrikson really doesn’t do too much in the movie.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Violator posted:

Didn�t they kill the cenobites in part 2 with the intention of making that evil woman the baddie moving forward?

Yeah, but the actress made it clear she would not be returning for another movie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/binks_james/status/1047081369292165120

God that cat is so pissed off.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All the talk of Dog Cheers had me cackling but also, which episode is it where they die laughing at Kelsey Grammer falling off the stage?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

All the talk of Dog Cheers had me cackling but also, which episode is it where they die laughing at Kelsey Grammer falling off the stage?

Transformers: Age of Extinction

My favorite part of that episode is when they play the audio of his death scene later on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Has anyone done the needful and replaced the intro music with the Cheers theme yet?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
:siren:SURPRISE EPISODE:siren:

Andrew and Chris doing a Siskel and Ebert-ish preview for the rest of the year. It's good.

Less "zany" than the usual but it's interesting to hear Chris and Andrew in full on total critic mode.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lemon posted:

I'm about half an hour into the latest episode and I'm liking it but holy heck this is testing my limits on how many times I can hear four new yorkers say the word dog

At least there isn't any coffee, nor do they go on about how it's awesome

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/joshua_hollis/status/1051585207373942784

This was the best bit of the ep

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Andrew and Chris doing a Siskel and Ebert-ish preview for the rest of the year. It's good.

Less "zany" than the usual but it's interesting to hear Chris and Andrew in full on total critic mode.

I don't often get to hear internet talky people talking about Movies For Adults, at least new ones anyway. So that's nice.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I thought the Busta Rhymes Kung fu stuff was kinda a joke, but it’s real and worse than I expected now that I’ve looked up clips. Dang. What a terrible movie. I watched Halloween 4 on Shudder and thought that was bad but this is worse.

Good episode.

I also really liked the Andre the Giant impressions during Man’s Best Friend episode.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Violator posted:

I thought the Busta Rhymes Kung fu stuff was kinda a joke, but it’s real and worse than I expected now that I’ve looked up clips. Dang. What a terrible movie. I watched Halloween 4 on Shudder and thought that was bad but this is worse.

Good episode.

Yeah, for some reason I didn't think I had seen Resurrection, but sure enough, I remembered all that stuff and wnated to forget it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I also misremembererd that the kid went and saved the girl at the end. I watched this a couple years ago and was waiting for the deus-ex kid. Also, I totally thought he was in HS talking to a college girl.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Violator posted:

I also really liked the Andre the Giant impressions during Man’s Best Friend episode.

I hope no one told them about how Andre was racist too

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Struggling mightily to choose my favorite.

Possibly Justin J Case off-screen attending to disaster victims at the mortuary.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

I hope no one told them about how Andre was racist too

Wait really he was??? :(

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Joe the Strummer posted:

Well.

He was French.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Joe the Strummer posted:

Just one story I remember was when he was on a bus and he was talking to some people, just casually dropping n-bombs all over the place. Bad News Allen, who was black, asked him to stop. Andre ignored him and said it again, and Allen made the bus driver stop the bus. He got out and told Andre to get his rear end out so they could settle this. Bad News, a bronze medal Olympian in judo, prayed he wouldn't because Andre would destroy him. Andre refused to get out of the bus, and later apologized to Allen for what he said.

Andre could absolutely be a viscious prick and a horrible bully to people he didn't like, especially if they somehow threatened his "big man" status, and he definitely wasn't the most enlightened guy when it came to racial stuff. He is still roughly 87% less scummy than Hulk goddamn Hogan.

Dude was a wrestler. You can count on two hands with a couple fingers left over the amount of honestly decent people in that business. Especially in Andre's day. They men and women who do it these days are by and large way less lovely than they were back then, but they're still mostly weird carnies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Andre could be a real dick especially if his ego got bruised but considering his peers he was far from the WORST. Like, we all love Dusty but that dude was a way more overt racist and Hulkster has his pile of problems, not to mention Ultimate Warrior's whole life and Super Fly actually killing someone. Wrestlers in that era were one giant mess of scumbags in a super scummy business, even the ones who were cool have at least one story involving 'well ok yea he DID call the guy that slur but to be fair he was on a lot of coke at the time and probably didn't remember it'

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Well drat. Learned something new today. I only knew Andre from Princess Bride, so I'm pretty disappointed

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hellsing came on TV about a week or so ago and it was awful, so I'm glad the Patreon episode is rightfully kicking the poo poo out of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I know I saw Hellsing at some point, and yeah, it's pretty spot on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

I saw it in a second run theater where the projectionist had misaligned the frame. It turned into a comedy for the audience as we could see every boom mic lower as someone was about to speak.