Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Next you'll say you don't want to look up penis fencing! :rolleyes:

Edit ladybugs are okay until they start pulling this poo poo

I remember one year they were swarming everywhere and it was creepy

Dixville has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Dixville posted:

They could come to my garden and pull that poo poo all they want.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dixville posted:

I would see this in the fall around my building where I worked; they would congregate on the warm sandstone.

Local farmers would release them by the tens of thousands in the spring/summer to combat aphids on their crops. I assumed that these were the end-of-season remainders.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Nuevo posted:

To keep the bedbug AUG train rolling, look up "traumatic insemination" :heysexy:

Please don't post my dating profile tia

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dixville posted:

We used to get swarming ladybugs, but we've been downgraded to boxelder bugs instead:

You can't really do anything about them; you can try squishing them (and it often takes more than one smash), but then they smell. Apparently the most reliable way to control them is to suck them up in a vacuum cleaner, but to me that sounds like you'd just wind up with a vacuum cleaner full of boxelders, and that does not sound like a definitive step in the right direction.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Florida gets lovebugs.

Mating pairs remain coupled for several days, including while flying, so they look bizarre. They also swarm.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dixville posted:

Those aren't ladybugs, those are Asian lady beetles, which are assholes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hirayuki posted:

We used to get swarming ladybugs, but we've been downgraded to boxelder bugs instead:

You can't really do anything about them; you can try squishing them (and it often takes more than one smash), but then they smell. Apparently the most reliable way to control them is to suck them up in a vacuum cleaner, but to me that sounds like you'd just wind up with a vacuum cleaner full of boxelders, and that does not sound like a definitive step in the right direction.

Get a weed dragon propane torch and have a blast.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Those aren't ladybugs, those are Asian lady beetles, which are assholes.

The thing you're linking to says they're ladybugs.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

chitoryu12 posted:

Florida gets lovebugs.

Mating pairs remain coupled for several days, including while flying, so they look bizarre. They also swarm.

I don't mind when they swarm, they are better than bees or mosquitoes in your face. The reason they are the worst bug on earth is quickly discovered if you have a car. Unless you really like to scrub bug guts off your car (and it's not easy) every couple days, your car will be disgusting for all of lovebug season. I hate those things.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Kalsco posted:

The thing you're linking to says they're ladybugs.

What people in North America have called ladybugs for the last 200 years, Coccinella septempunctatus, don't swarm indoors and don't have the white line between head and thorax. Asian ladybeetles are bad news.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Oct 7, 2018

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Ladybugs don't swarm and don't have the white line between head and thorax.

It only says to look out for a white "M" shaped marking but I'll presume it's being incredibly reductionist. Apologies.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Kalsco posted:

It only says to look out for a white "M" shaped marking but I'll presume it's being incredibly reductionist. Apologies.

You're right, it's not a great article. I was too lazy to Google for something better. My mistake!

The seven-spot ladybugs have the advantage of staying outdoors where they belong, and also of not smelling like chemical weapons.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dixville posted:

My mom used to put a bunch in our freezer over the winter so she could release them in the spring as a natural insecticide, and four year-old me was pretty devastated to discover the link between the thawing, starving bugs in my one hand and the hapless aphids in the other. The miracle of nature.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Hirayuki posted:

You can mix regular ol' dish soap with water and spray them down with that, works pretty well. The apartment I lived at before I bought my house would get them all over the back entrance in the fall since it was south-facing. I wouldn't have cared except they kept getting inside so I resorted to chemical warfare.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

You can mix regular ol' dish soap with water and spray them down with that, works pretty well. The apartment I lived at before I bought my house would get them all over the back entrance in the fall since it was south-facing. I wouldn't have cared except they kept getting inside so I resorted to chemical warfare.
That's exactly what happens to us: buncha bugs on the warm south-facing brick (and some sneaking in through the patio door when we let the dog in/out). I'll try the dish-soap trick, thanks! :tipshat:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

kill all bugs
every one

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

text me a vag pic posted:

kill all bugs
every one

Even the big ones, like bats?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Stoatbringer posted:

Even the big ones, like bats?

Silly person, bats are flying mice and many eat bugs.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

TinTower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7SqtIe5rZQ

Oh my god, the wind-up is the best part.

I'm the gnome in the red shirt.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Insect-centric diets should get more popular, it's like having all the free food you want!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Before we bought our house, we lived in a complete loving hovel of a 4plex with some really gross neighbours. Sewage backed up all the time, the bottom unit sinks overflowed when the upstairs people did their dishes, holes in the walls, and a ridiculous flour beetle infestation. They're tiny and flat and can get into any food container including tupperware and screw on lids. And you wouldn't see them in any food that was porous or cluster, like cereals. They have the worst taste of anything you can imagine, it is STRONG, and it doesn't go away. Sometimes one would get into the bed, and if you 'disturbed' it like laying on it, that same stench was released and then it was "Well now I can't sleep because it loving stinks in here". They live in the walls and you can't get rid of them. We threw out so much food thanks to those little fuckers.

I was glad to only be there for like 7 months or so, but it was hell. They ended up in out house because they cake with us when we moved, but we managed to get them under control in about 3 years with very rare incidents in the final 2. lovely little monsters. It was tempting to have the place fumigated.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

Insect-centric diets should get more popular, it's like having all the free food you want!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

had a poo poo load of milkweed bugs last year

took a picture every day for like 30 days, this year was a combination of hot as balls and not enough rain, then too much rain so no bugs

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sorry black boys only white men can handle this

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Violet_Sky posted:

Sorry black boys only white men can handle this

Well at she's upfront about it.

Trash.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

text me a vag pic posted:

kill all bugs
every one

Especially after Buenos Aires

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've seen ladybugs chowing down on dead boxelder bugs. One of our trees is infested with boxelders but there is a small but not insignificant contingent of ladybugs on the far side of the trunk who come over and drag away the dead ones.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Im the bath salts sign

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Now that it's warming up Australian bugs are starting to come out in force too. Here is one of the more common bugs we see around here being eaten by another common garden bug.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Violet_Sky posted:

Im the bath salts sign

I'm the exposed titty on the truck in your post

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Violet_Sky posted:

Im the bath salts sign

Im the shopping bag in the driver's seat

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's that the girl from Doki Doki Literature Club?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

that is the key question to ask yes

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm the implication that an exposed tiddy is the most offensive thing about that picture

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm the implication that an exposed tiddy is the most offensive thing about that picture

Yeah whatever's going on with those rims is pretty bad too.

"I'm the half naked anime chick on the side of a car with the gas flap under her exposed panties so that when you are filling the gas tank it looks like the pump handle is going into her gooch" is a bit on the nose.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The gently caress does #yolobathsalts mean? Are they talking about the drug?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He takes personal hygiene very seriously.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the feeling of floating that bath salts brings is quite euphoric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we had a random infestation of these in the spring and we couldn't have the windows closed because it would get ridiculously hot inside so we taped up/hot glued (rented apartment so reluctant to use permanent stuff) every single gap we could in the window frames and sprayed the bugs with isopropyl alcohol day in and day out

gently caress these

right now there's a giant spider on our balcony with a huge web in the corner and I want to die

it's an impressive web but the spider is too big. get out