Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

woah. they make their own batteries. is that necessary?
folklore has it that preston tucker was shut out of the auto business because the big three interfered with his supply purchases. there's no smoking gun for this but it's not terribly implausible either. regardless, that probably entered somehow into Tesla management's decision to produce as much of their supplies as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

President Beep posted:

no matter the reason, it sounds like they were trying to get out but couldn’t. i hope it was the door design—at least then their deaths will help expose this truly stupid setup.

hi folks, it's your old pal stymie here with a little tip: don't project your desires onto the deaths of others, particularly over something as petty as a car company doing stuff you disagree with

it's a really lovely thing to do and nobody will appreciate it, especially the families of the deceased

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

hi folks, it's your old pal stymie here with a little tip: don't project your desires onto the deaths of others, particularly over something as petty as a car company doing stuff you disagree with

it's a really lovely thing to do and nobody will appreciate it, especially the families of the deceased

get a load of this internet tough guy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
thank you for sharing your thoughts, stymie.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

muckswirler posted:

the a8l is a baller rear end ride. just drove an X2 M-sport today with the best sounding H/K system I've ever heard in a stock car tho so maybe things are getting better.

you don’t drive an A8L

like a Maybach or a Rolls, you’re driven in one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

Agreed, don't project the desire to exit a burning car on people who die in burning cars.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

ok and so my question is why that instead of eg 100 200Ah cells. I’m sure there’s a reason I just kinda hope it’s not “well 18650s were cheapest on alibaba”

it's because they were cheap and readily available.

every other car manufacturer is using prismatic batteries made of cells which are flat and wide rectangles because arrays thousands of small cylinders is perhaps the absolute worst shape possible for an EV battery. the prismatic cells fit together more tightly, have less space wasted on thousands of thin cell containers, and are easier to cool.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

Agreed, don't project the desire to exit a burning car on people who die in burning cars.

fishmech, i know you enjoy being obtuse and all but the point here is that is their deaths are tragic and to wish for them to be used as a means to advance one's pet grudges is ghoulish at best

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

fishmech, i know you enjoy being obtuse and all but the point here is that is their deaths are tragic and to wish for them to be used as a means to advance one's pet grudges is ghoulish at best

agreed the pro-escaping-from-fire lobby is selfishly advancing their grudges against the very cool and good concept of not escaping

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

agreed the pro-escaping-from-fire lobby is selfishly advancing their grudges against the very cool and good concept of not escaping

okay cool, you've established you're okay with being a ghoul, so noted

as aforementioned, i'd suggest not sharing this with the loved ones of the deceased, they may be less charitable in their reactions

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Peeny Cheez posted:

Ah, now that makes sense. Emulating his idol.

telsa doesn't have a production bottleneck so much as a refractory period

Stymie posted:

thank u for being the conscience of yospos, stymie

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

it's because they were cheap and readily available.

every other car manufacturer is using prismatic batteries made of cells which are flat and wide rectangles because arrays thousands of small cylinders is perhaps the absolute worst shape possible for an EV battery. the prismatic cells fit together more tightly, have less space wasted on thousands of thin cell containers, and are easier to cool.

proving once again that doing something well isn’t nearly as good as doing it badly with good marketing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Doesn’t Elon kind of have a point about shorts tho? If they started spreading materially false and damaging claims about a car co there’d be nothing it could do. There’s no legal recourse for that :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

proving once again that doing something well isn’t nearly as good as doing it badly with good marketing

they did it because it was relatively cheap and also actually possible for them to do rather than spinning up their own battery manufacturing from scratch for the first gen roadster and model s. why they stuck with it is another matter, but probably because they already had charge controllers, cooling, and firmware that worked with a metric assload of cells

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

they did it because it was relatively cheap and also actually possible for them to do rather than spinning up their own battery manufacturing from scratch for the first gen roadster and model s. why they stuck with it is another matter, but probably because they already had charge controllers, cooling, and firmware that worked with a metric assload of cells

yeah. they didn’t have the resources to do it well so they did it badly. marketing more than made up the difference anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they did it fine tho?

like, their products had better range than any other ev on the market for a couple years. they just needed to move on from that rather than hope that their early advantage would hold

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ok so now it’s a good thing to run an ev on ecig batteries. I’m getting confused

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's fine? like, it's not specifically bad because it worked out well for them and the reasons they did it initially made sense.

now, probably they should have made a more efficient design, since they paid panasonic to run their huge battery factory and all. presumably they haven't because they've spent more time making stupid new car designs using what they know, instead of optimizing the existing ones.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it's fine? like, it's not specifically bad because it worked out well for them and the reasons they did it initially made sense.

now, probably they should have made a more efficient design, since they paid panasonic to run their huge battery factory and all. presumably they haven't because they've spent more time making stupid new car designs using what they know, instead of optimizing the existing ones.

why am I serious posting about car batteries. what is wrong with me

ok, so using ecig batteries is acceptable but not how the grownup auto manufacturers do it. answers me well enough I think

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you have safety concerns based on some eastern european dumbasses nuking random vape cells, keep in mind any other li-ion cell would do pretty much the same thing in those conditions

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I assumed that even Tesla would use their ecig batteries within spec, with appropriate control electronics, and from a decent supplier

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

surprisingly, that appears to be the case

they're just kinda hosed because everyone else is now on their game and making cheaper, smaller, more efficient cell layouts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
yeah it’s not really the kind of area where you can maintain a lead without being one of the top companies on the planet for that technology

like it’s one of the few reasonable basics taught in business school, if it’s not your core competency either make it so or outsource the gently caress out of it

and Tesla are idiots for thinking batteries are their core competency

(they could have made electric drivetrains their core competency and come out way ahead, possibly even with a high end boutique offering of their own, but they did not and LOL)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

their whole shtick appears to be the hubris to believe that they're the absolute masters of vertical integration, despite all evidence to the contrary

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

President Beep posted:

no matter the reason, it sounds like they were trying to get out but couldn’t. i hope it was the door design—at least then their deaths will help expose this truly stupid setup.

As much as Stymie is a horrible bag of gas that produces bad posts. I do agree that hoping these kids died a certain way is pretty awful.

Compare: "boy I sure hope it was an assault rifle that killed all those kids so that maybe there will be an assault rifle ban because of their deaths"

bad example, it won't happen because America is irrepairably broken but that's beside the point

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

got a lol most hearty out of the idea of a sentient fartcloud typing words on forums.somethingawful.com

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

eschaton posted:

like a Maybach or a Rolls, you’re driven in one

i'm pulled behind four in a global 7500. it's a quadriga chariot situation.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Ciaphas posted:

got a lol most hearty out of the idea of a sentient fartcloud typing words on forums.somethingawful.com

I enjoy ur posts all the same :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bulgakov posted:

I enjoy ur posts all the same :)

:pwn:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

gas op ban thread

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

if you have safety concerns based on some eastern european dumbasses nuking random vape cells, keep in mind any other li-ion cell would do pretty much the same thing in those conditions

I was trying to find the installation requirements for the use of lithium batteries in passenger aircraft. I think they were rather spicy compared to teslas "cram a few thousand in the chassis" approach.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 7, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

spankmeister posted:

As much as Stymie is a horrible bag of gas that produces bad posts. I do agree that hoping these kids died a certain way is pretty awful.

Compare: "boy I sure hope it was an assault rifle that killed all those kids so that maybe there will be an assault rifle ban because of their deaths"

bad example, it won't happen because America is irrepairably broken but that's beside the point

yeah, in hindsight i do agree. that was a lovely thing i said. stymie was right in their stymie way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tesla Thread: Stymie was Right

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mrmcd posted:

SOMEWHERE ATOP THE GLITTERING SPIRE OF THE NYT BUILDING

*phone rings*

"Hello?"

"Sarah. We've been trying to reach you. We have a hot scoop on a huge tech story."

"I'm outta that game now. I've told you a hundred times. I've got my cushy editorial board retirement."

"This is different. The source is.. unorthodox. It needs someone familiar with the lay of the land. Someone who can talk to the locals."

"There's plenty of tech reporters in the valley."

"Not the valley, Sarah. YOSPOS."

*line goes silent*

"Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time."

this post didn’t get enough love imo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FrozenVent posted:

this post didn’t get enough love imo

I mean: neither did you. But on the other hand, who can really fault your poor mother?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

right. the gigafactory or whatever should be making flat cells and tesla should have redesigned their battery packs at that point.

the thing is Tesla is loving amazing at the cell matching you have to do in order to make a big array of 80 100-cell bandoliers work. nobody else is anywhere close to being able to pull it off at the scale Tesla is doing. unfortunately for Tesla while the other manufacturers aren't as good at cell matching, they are extremely good at recognizing manufacturing obstacles and designing things to address those obstacles. they just built packs that don't need exact cell matching.

as an aside - you know (or should know) that you've really hosed up when BMW and VW's solutions are simpler and easier to put together.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

okay cool, you've established you're okay with being a ghoul, so noted

as aforementioned, i'd suggest not sharing this with the loved ones of the deceased, they may be less charitable in their reactions

Truly only ghouls think people burning to death don't want to burn to death. You've cracked the case. I'll be sure to not inform the families that you claim are pro being burned to death.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

whoever wins, we all lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
huh, cracks showing in the eternal stymie/fishmech/shaggar mutual non-aggression pact