Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Improbable Lobster posted:

A Viceroy is a representative of a Monarch that rules a country, province or other state in place of the king. The Viceroy butterfly imitates the Monarch butterfly to keep predators away. It would be a fitting name for a #2. The Mighty Monarch and his Vicious Viceroy.

Also Gary has a long history of wanting to be the Viceroy, is where I was mostly coming from

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PVqj4qCzsc

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sockser posted:

Also Gary has a long history of wanting to be the Viceroy, is where I was mostly coming from
In his heart of hearts, he probably still yearns to be Jet Boy/Girl.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I guess we still don't know what's up with the bear, and I guess the slightly wonky approach to ongoing issues was just that.

Kinda doubt that Scare Bear is ever going to take off the mask tbh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Scare Bear was part of the initial Comaland dream sequence in the previous episode, while this week's Comaland is a second layer of Comaland within the first Comaland.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Heaven is Empire Strikes Back?
No, Purgatory is Barberlla

Loved that line.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

X_Toad posted:

Also, I think there was a talk of EMA level and how henchmen were included in that stuff, and I would just like to point out that Wide Wale is the only level 10 in season 6 who has henchmen : Harangutan, Think Tank, Wandering Spider and Red Death are all solo acts, and the Doom Factory is a collective of individual villains with no henchmen.

Is season 4 structured? In fact, only season 6 felt like it had a planned season-long arc/story with the Blue Morpho stuff.

Are any of those guys but Red Death actual 10s? I thought they were just folks RD had basically leased his arching rights to. Harangutang in particular is nowhere near a 10, and Think Tank seems to be more toward the start of his career than its peak.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm pretty sure Shelia calls Harangutang a 10 when they retrieve his body

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Harangutang had a Harangutank, he probably was more along the lines of the Monarch working his way up to Level 10 rather than getting there based on sheer power like Red Death probably did. He probably woulda made a better showing if he wasn't blindsided by the sheer madness that surrounds the Ventures at all times.

It's pretty clear that villain rankings are far from a measurement of sheer power and ability, but organisation, skill and dedication, and since it's the highest ranking the Guild has it's probably a pretty broad category. I imagine Dr Orpheus and the Triad would probably be considered a level 10 just for having a full on array of magical powers with no downsides, as the Outrider also likely would. (though The Alchemist and Jefferson Twilight on their own would probably be lower) And remember that it takes level 5 or 6 before you can start using real guns, the Guild's standards of aggression go pretty low. As said, we get a look at a Level 1 arching and it's somewhere between a LARP and a Nerf gun fight. That said, there's probably a lot of room for creative interpretation (likely on purpose) as it was implied previously Brock Samson was ranked lower than he really should be because of his refusal to use guns.

I think Wide Wale's subcontracted arches are probably something the Guild has precedent for, but had to have Equally Matched Aggression with the level 10 protagonist Rusty now is. And iirc there are rules and precedents for villainous team-ups, but Henchmen in particular have a different place and ranking in Guild rules and culture. (and it doesn't seem unusual nor discouraged for henchmen to graduate into villainy in their own right, as the Monarch did, but probably not the norm even for henchmen that qualify for solo villainy unless they choose it)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Remember, a delusional Vaudeville pugilist gets to be a level 1 Arch instead of being told to take a hike. And the Monarch, Gary, and enough change to ride the bus gets to be a level 3. The Guild may be the center of organized villainy in the US, but they clearly use every part of the 10 point scale and play softball super hard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We're goin full nerf on this one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I like the detail they go into on how arching levels work in the St Cloud episode. Complete with how the Guild specifically supplies weapons and equipment intended for specific levels of arching.

It makes a lot of sense considering the Guild gets most of its funding from rich people with petty grudges.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
It took me a while to find the episode in specific AND the appropriate lines, BUT

Tanks for Nuthin'

Dr. Mrs. The Monarch posted:

"You're in a lot of trouble. This wasn't just some anonymous henchmen that you could bury in your flower bed--Haranguetan was a top level nemesis."

Twenty One posted:

"So Wide Wale's Venture's primary, right? But he's seeded sub-arching rights to these other level 10s through the Guild's Fiends and Families plan--"

Haranguetan, Think Tank, Wandering Spider and everybody else that was on the list are--according to Twenty One's chart--all level 10s.

Phew.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like the detail they go into on how arching levels work in the St Cloud episode. Complete with how the Guild specifically supplies weapons and equipment intended for specific levels of arching.

It makes a lot of sense considering the Guild gets most of its funding from rich people with petty grudges.

It also makes sense considering that the Guild and their targeted protagonists only continue to exist mutually because both sides endeavor to match aggression levels between protagonists and antagonists. The GCI has Level 10 lightning guns, but if you're a level 1 arching another level 1, then you get a level 1 gun. They take care to ensure that one side may fight, but never decisively defeat, the other.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just don't find it plausible that e.g. Haraungatang, whose assets seem to be superior size and strength and a trash-filled van, is a level 10.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pope Guilty posted:

I just don't find it plausible that e.g. Haraungatang, whose assets seem to be superior size and strength and a trash-filled van, is a level 10.

Again, the Monarch just got promoted to 10 and he still just has his personal weapons, 21, and maybe some leftover Blue Morpho stuff.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Haranguetan obviously put in a lot of hours as a Big Villian.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe he and his wife were a bigger deal when they were younger?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo what is with you people and getting confused by extremely straightforward things?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Haranguetan also was more than just big and burley. He beat the poo poo out of Sgt. Hatred with ease. I'm not saying Hatred is unstoppable, but he got clowned by Haranguetan.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

axelblaze posted:

Holy poo poo what is with you people and getting confused by extremely straightforward things?

That's just TVIV in general

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Who are the real Venture Brothers anyway? We just don't know.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Maybe, if we look deep inside ourselves, we'll find that we are all Venture Brothers.

because Jonas hosed all of our moms

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Mega64 posted:

Maybe, if we look deep inside ourselves, we'll find that we are all Venture Brothers.

Perhaps the dads Jonas blackmailed were the real treasure all along.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mega64 posted:

My money on Master Billy Quizzboy being a venture too.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

I hope James Adomian comes back next season. He whips rear end

yeah dude is rad

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Who are the real Venture Brothers anyway? We just don't know.

But, what is the Venture Bros.? It's a difficult question because the Venture Bros. is impossible to describe.

Pope Guilty posted:

Did they ever actually say Haraungatang was a Level 10? From what I gathered last season, Wide Wale had arching rights, and he was farming them out. I just assumed that he was outsourcing arching duties to other Level 10s, but that's not necessarily the case, I suppose.

In any event, it seems clear that the arching level (I can't remember what it was called) doesn't follow the most obvious logic, i.e., that the more stuff and henchmen you have, the higher your rank. That holds true to a point, but at the upper echelon of villainy, it's more about attitude, dedication, and big-picture-type stuff. Hence the number of known Level 10s who are basically on their own, or who have maybe one person by their side instead of an army.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 7, 2018

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I had a thought about Coma Town and Phage. Unlike the other two, Phage hasn't influenced the landscape at all and his appearance is a mix-and-match of Rodney's Barbarella (the angel wings) and Hank's Empire Strikes Back (the AT-AT legs), much like the sled they used before the Wampa ambushed them. I wonder if he's really into a coma or if the teleporter somehow transported him in that weird landscape and he's become a part of it, influenced by the people who walks through it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

X_Toad posted:

I had a thought about Coma Town and Phage. Unlike the other two, Phage hasn't influenced the landscape at all and his appearance is a mix-and-match of Rodney's Barbarella (the angel wings) and Hank's Empire Strikes Back (the AT-AT legs), much like the sled they used before the Wampa ambushed them. I wonder if he's really into a coma or if the teleporter somehow transported him in that weird landscape and he's become a part of it, influenced by the people who walks through it.

That... is actually a good point. Hank and Action Man are in costumes from their respective movies, but they're just costumes. Phage's body is made up, as you said, of elements of both of those movies (in addition to his torso and head). I think from his dialog he's clearly Phage and not Hank's or Action Man's combined hallucination of Phage, because I don't know if either of them even know Phage.

And where did Hank get that oil can?

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

so hank is gonna turn into a multiple personality villain of some sort, probably head back to the empty venture compound

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I want at least one triad episode next season.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(and it doesn't seem unusual nor discouraged for henchmen to graduate into villainy in their own right, as the Monarch did, but probably not the norm even for henchmen that qualify for solo villainy unless they choose it)

To be honest given the attrition rate if you survive long enough as henchman you probably should get at least something.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 7, 2018

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ptkfvk posted:

so hank is gonna turn into a multiple personality villain of some sort, probably head back to the empty venture compound
I'm telling you, he will go live either with the Triad or at Colonel Gentleman's house.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

X_Toad posted:

I'm telling you, he will go live either with the Triad or at Colonel Gentleman's house.

They won't bring her back but if he slept with Triana lmao.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

Then Dean can sleep with their mail carrier

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was about to say Hank wouldn't stoop that low but conisdering how he was trying to woo those twins even though they were pinning for Dean..

Yeah...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

I was about to say Hank wouldn't stoop that low but conisdering how he was trying to woo those twins even though they were pinning for Dean..

Yeah...

Yeah, he was all "Go Team... ... b-b-b-BOOBIES!" over the twins.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Now that would be ironic. Although I'm not sure that Dean would care that much? She was his own "obsessive puppy love" over whom he had a "stroke" and he seems to have gotten over her ever since that night when he was mistaken for a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

X_Toad posted:

Now that would be ironic. Although I'm not sure that Dean would care that much? She was his own "obsessive puppy love" over whom he had a "stroke" and he seems to have gotten over her ever since that night when he was mistaken for a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

He said to dress as something spooky. Ghosts are spooky!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So what the gently caress happened to Doc Hammer? Are we gonna have to wait another six goddamn years for another season?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
We don't know. We know he had back problems and needed surgery to fix it, said surgery resulting in reduced mobility. Right now he uses a wheelchair, eventually he should be able to walk with a cane.

Nah, I think we will wait the regular 2 years and a half. Despite all of the jokes we make about the breaks, they've been pretty consistent since the end of season 4. That damned season throws every count off because of the gap in the middle of it.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

More than the show I worry that this will stop Doc from playing live music, that would be terrible.