Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Presto posted:

Careful. Expertise counts for exactly poo poo these days. My last company had a Navy contract since forever. We were the experts. We lost the contract because another company underbid us by a couple million dollars. The bid was so low the government awarded them the contract but said they didn't think the company could do the work for the bid amount and tacked on some extra money.

Fair point, but even so I don't think the company would be like, oh no we're immediately out of business. There'd be time to see the ship sink.

Mniot posted:

It's hard to really know without actually seeing you at work, but I feel like "I'm bored" and "I'm not learning anything" are not a good combination. Why isn't this something you can fix? Two ideas:

1) You say the code quality is bad. Try out SonarQube or some other code-checker and verify that it catches some shittiness and suggests improvement. Make a proposal to your boss that you'll set up SonarQube, get it to monitor code as it comes in, and improve overall code quality by x% over the next y months. This will make it easier to onboard new developers and your company will be able to advertise that you use a code-quality tool to avoid mistakes. (This is a pretty back-end-y task since that's the stuff I like, but you could do something similar on the front. Or, like, move to React or some other popular library.)

2) A more selfish option. Find some open-source library and get it into your code-base. Now spend as much of your time as possible fixing and improving that library and pushing your changes upstream. If things are stable, repeat with some new library.

If your problem is that you're bored but also so micro-managed that you can't make up more interesting work, then that's a problem and you should leave. Maybe you should leave anyway, but I don't think you should rely on your job to just hand you interesting work. Especially if you want to make senior-level money, you should be able to find and articulate a problem to solve.

The big issue is ultimately that my company is *ridiculous* about testing absolutely every minute change (not inherently a bad thing) and we just don't have the resources to do the testing that my boss would want to do. I spent almost a year using some code analysis tool (blanking on the name right now) - we opened up a new branch in SVN for this tool explicitly, but by the time we made all the changes there was too much to test and we scrapped it, returning to the old code base and just doing our annually mandated tweaks to that codebase.

Also, I should clarify. This company is a very small company (~60 people between IT, clinical, and all the other departments). They primarily contract a code writing firm in India to do major projects - including initially writing the application. Then I just do bug fixes, smaller scale new functionality and things like that. So if I want to include some new framework, then we also need to give that to India so when we need them in the future then our projects will match.

So I guess I wouldn't say that I'm micro-managed, it's just that there's tons of red tape. I think you have a really good point about "not relying on the employer to hand you interesting work" though. I mean, whenever I do get new stuff to do (rather than bug fixing) I try to do it as well as I can while still maintaining our practices, but sometimes you can only do so much.

I think I'm going to at least start interviewing. Worst case scenario I just stay where I am :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Never not be interviewing.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Keetron posted:

That sounds stressful.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
If I had a choice I would never interview again, it sucks and job hunting sucks.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Portland Sucks posted:

That sounds stressful.

It can be at first, but then once you realize you don't care if you get the job offer or not the whole experience becomes much more chill and possibly enlightening. The questions others ask of you can be informative to larger trends or even deficiencies of your own resume. I've been taking regular interviews for a while and there are two places that if I decided I wanted to do a new thing I could call and have an offer immediately because of it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Keetron posted:

So like, keep interviewing even if you already have a job?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

SardonicTyrant posted:

So like, keep interviewing even if you already have a job?
Absolutely. Not in a "I really need this job, please hire me" but more "let's see where this goes".

The thing is that when you have been at a place for a while (very relevant to this thread), you will decrease a few things if you do not keep your interview game up. Things like network, interviewing skills and simple knowledge of what is out there in terms of job market. If you do not keep this up and the eventual downturn, right-sizing or plain bankruptcy happens, you are without options and have to start from scratch.

Now as a software developer you think yourself invulnerable to this but imagine you have been working at the same company for a while on a dead-end tech without realising it. You only find out what is current in your local hiring market by talking to those doing the hiring.
The half-life of a recruiter is only something like 12 months, so you get to know those who stick around and are worth a bit more so you connect to those and have conversations every 6 to 9 months.

Other prime benefit is interviewing skills and experience, by being relaxed about the whole process.

Disclaimer: I work as a contractor so keeping a warm network of those who are looking for developers is kinda in my job description.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Definitely agree that interviewing is way less stressful when you already have a job, rather than being unemployed and needing a job. But it still sucks, in my opinion.

Also I often have fairly regular doctor appointments between seeing a counselor and some extensive dental work, so trying to take even more "sick time" so that I can interview is a huge pain in the butt

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 12, 2018

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Sab669 posted:

Definitely agree that interviewing is way less stressful when you already have a job, rather than being unemployed and needing a job. But it still sucks, in my opinion.

Also I often have fairly regular doctor appointments between seeing a counselor and some extensive dental work, so trying to take even more "sick time" so that I can interview is a huge pain in the butt

it also gives you more freedom.

yesterday, in a job interview, someone asked me, literally, "do you know the difference between a left join, right join, inner join, outer join." He didn't ask what the difference was, he just asked if I knew it, so I decided to be literal and say "yes", in a slightly annoyed, joking manner, and we immediately moved on me babbling about the different kinds of orms. if i didn't have a job, i feel like i'd be forced to answer questions like that if i were a trained seal.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Situation at my job is getting weirder and weirder. Still can't hire anyone because we offer Greenville, South Carolina salaries for a job in Denver. I'm now the only BI Developer at my billion dollar company.

Last week, I got sat down by our Director of Data Science (boss's boss) and told that our Data Architect had "failed to handle our integration" with the $100m+ dollar company we bought, and wanted me to "please act as the architect for our data integration. Take it over completely, you are the owner of this project." The DA has been openly arguing with him for the last couple weeks over reasonable things, like "You just gave us a two week deadline on a project with 300 hours of work, for me and one developer."

So now I'm the single BI developer, and acting data architect for our highest profile project. :thunk:

edit: also shoutout to anyone else who has to conduct technical interviews.. I'm doing a dozen a week right now, and mother of god is it awkward when you interview someone claiming multiple years experience and they can't explain the most basic concepts of your language. I had a woman with three years SQL experience tell me that a "having" clause was "just like a where but more specific"

Loutre fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 23, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Loutre posted:

edit: also shoutout to anyone else who has to conduct technical interviews.. I'm doing a dozen a week right now, and mother of god is it awkward when you interview someone claiming multiple years experience and they can't explain the most basic concepts of your language. I had a woman with three years SQL experience tell me that a "having" clause was "just like a where but more specific"

I've had people with over a decade of experience fail to be able to sanely calculate the distance between two points on a 2D grid. I have to assume that there's a large body of developers out there that basically download code off the Internet that sounds like it's related to what they're trying to do, and then tweak it until the compiler/interpreter stops complaining. The ability to understand a problem and devise a solution ex nihilo just doesn't enter their worldview.

Good luck with those increased responsibilities. I hope they come with a pay bump. The paranoid in me says you may be being set up for failure. Watch out for that architect too, because they might be peeved at you.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've had people with over a decade of experience fail to be able to sanely calculate the distance between two points on a 2D grid. I have to assume that there's a large body of developers out there that basically download code off the Internet that sounds like it's related to what they're trying to do, and then tweak it until the compiler/interpreter stops complaining. The ability to understand a problem and devise a solution ex nihilo just doesn't enter their worldview.

Good luck with those increased responsibilities. I hope they come with a pay bump. The paranoid in me says you may be being set up for failure. Watch out for that architect too, because they might be peeved at you.

I'm friends with the Data Architect. He's smart, 30 years experience, and he's in a situation where he can easily just hop ship to another company. He's not taking it pettily, he's been honest about how our projects are going - after we switched he immediately gave me every piece of info he had on the project and has been openly answering all my questions.

I could be being set up to fail for sure; I reviewed the project timeline he was working off of and it was unreasonable given that he was not only the DA but the only developer on his project. The new timeline "we" agreed on for the project is theoretically reasonable, but has four or five different features that rely on the data being as we expect. I basically have a 1/5 chance of this project following estimates and being reasonable, and a 4/5 chance that we'll find out "add sales by product channel" means a separate, 40 hour project of translating Japanese data.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Back on hiring-decision chat though, I recently told my boss to give up on hiring mid and senior level developers unless they're clearly desperate. It's much easier to hire someone straight out of college for 5k~ under average, than to hire a mid or senior who knows what they're doing for 10k under.

I've seen so many straight-out-of-college guys end up amazing developers in less than 6 months, I've never seen a "mid level developer", with poor technical interviews, without some extenuating circumstances, become an amazing developer. Dunno about you guys.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 23, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Isn't a mid level developer just someone with a certain amount of experience? That's what it sounds like from the first part of your post.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

ultrafilter posted:

Isn't a mid level developer just someone with a certain amount of experience? That's what it sounds like from the first part of your post.

That's exactly what it is. And the expectation is that anyone with that level of experience can simply receive "Add column X to stored procedure Y so that the Sales team can do analysis Z", can do that. The problem is that my company has a payscale that doesn't equate with where we're hiring (Denver Tech Center).

So because we pay so low, I'm interviewing basically the worst mid-level developers, who technically have the years of experience to do it, but demonstrably don't know a god damned thing about their job.

Edit: and i don't hold it against them, we're hiring at 75% asking price for a decent dev. But I'm the one in the situation of solo developer and acting architect. I have to bring in people who I don't spent more time teaching/managing than I do directing. It's just pure poo poo all around, I don't want to be minmaxing my hiring based off of ripping people off, I want to find people who are early in their careers and help them become senior devs/supervisors or whatever they're going for. It's just a pure poo poo situation.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 23, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I dunno man, I think you're also screwed trying to underpay new hires too because they'll just leave right when they're getting good if they're that low beyond the rate. You're otherwise preying on people with, like, the lowest self-esteem in a group already plagued by a terms like "imposter syndrome." Also, you're talking about Denver versus South Carolina here. Are you in South Carolina? If so, do you really intend to be able to mentor somebody across the country like that?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I dunno man, I think you're also screwed trying to underpay new hires too because they'll just leave right when they're getting good

I mean a revolving door of new hires who leave after 1 year would have the added benefit of your onboarding process getting really polished... and Loutre's mentoring skills getting way better...

Loutre, I don't know if you're being set up to fail or if your upper management is just incompetent and unable to read the writing on the wall. But you definitely aren't being set up to succeed. Would you rather be the dev who just manages to get something barely working against all odds, or a dev whose projects are well planned and well funded, where you have a chance to do something actually high quality and superlative?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

vonnegutt posted:

I mean a revolving door of new hires who leave after 1 year would have the added benefit of your onboarding process getting really polished... and Loutre's mentoring skills getting way better...

Loutre, I don't know if you're being set up to fail or if your upper management is just incompetent and unable to read the writing on the wall. But you definitely aren't being set up to succeed. Would you rather be the dev who just manages to get something barely working against all odds, or a dev whose projects are well planned and well funded, where you have a chance to do something actually high quality and superlative?

I'd rather the latter, of course. I just don't have the option to look at other offers right now. We talked about it earlier in the thread, even with a signing bonus at a new place, I basically have to have the cash on hand to pay off my moving bonus pre-tax, which I just don't (medical bills).

But the other thing is that doing this project puts me firmly in Data Architect territory, which is the end-goal of my career. Even if they won't give me the title for it, I can highlight the project/my acting role on future applications for Architect jobs. So I'll be getting something out of it no matter what - I need something to help me bridge the gap from Senior Dev to Data Architect.

On the other thing, I don't want to be loving over juniors either, I don't set salaries. I guess I feel less bad offering a 22 year old 65k than a 35 year old 75k? On the upside, there is a rumor that my company is finally going to conduct a regional salary analysis. Our sister division, the web dev team, was originally our CIO's separate company, so when they had trouble hiring a QA person, suddenly fixing our payscale was a priority.

Edit: oh and I just like working with smart, totally new developers. I love to teach, mentoring is one of my favorite job duties, and I think I'm pretty good at it. Even if it ends up adding to my workload for a while.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 23, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Code comments like these are how you know you are working with reliable professionals

code:
// handle maillog bs
I, of course, have been tasked with copying the mail log logic to another page. That is the entirety of the documentation for the feature.

By copying I obviously mean I plan to abstract it out into functions which can be invoked everywhere it is needed instead of just blindly pasting and doubling the maintenance needed in the future.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

LLSix posted:

By copying I obviously mean I plan to abstract it out into functions which can be invoked everywhere it is needed

You monster!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LLSix posted:

Code comments like these are how you know you are working with reliable professionals

code:
// handle maillog bs
I, of course, have been tasked with copying the mail log logic to another page. That is the entirety of the documentation for the feature.

By copying I obviously mean I plan to abstract it out into functions which can be invoked everywhere it is needed instead of just blindly pasting and doubling the maintenance needed in the future.

Just wait until you see that at least 2 of the copy/pastes have different logic that breaks in subtle ways if you invoke a generic version.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Or how they're integrated with the source file that they're in.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Keetron posted:

Absolutely. Not in a "I really need this job, please hire me" but more "let's see where this goes".
I'll try doing this. So what do you do if you end up getting an offer? What should you say?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'll try doing this. So what do you do if you end up getting an offer? What should you say?

If you like the offer, take it. If you don't like it or simply don't want to change right now, politely decline. You dont have to provide a reason for declining the offer.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
You don't have to be sneaky, either. I tell the recruiter, "I'm totally happy with my current job, but I like to keep my options open and this sounded interesting."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

code:
/********************************************************
No Comments are necessary for this. <CTO's three letter initials>
********************************************************/

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Anybody know of a good course on Project Management, preferably non-video? Lynda is a loving shitheap. I'm desperate to add some PM knowledge to this organization, aside from my boss's alleged PMP certification.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

CPColin posted:

Anybody know of a good course on Project Management, preferably non-video? Lynda is a loving shitheap. I'm desperate to add some PM knowledge to this organization, aside from my boss's alleged PMP certification.

I'd like to know too. Been reading Rapid Development by Steve McConnell for this purpose.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lifg posted:

Steve McConnell

His other book, Software Project Survival Guide, has been important for my career growth after not knowing anything about how to run a project

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hey sweet I work on-campus and the library has both of these books on the shelf right now!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

CPColin posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6278270-the-principles-of-product-development-flow

return0
Apr 11, 2007

CPColin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming#Key_principles

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Supposedly getting an offer soon, having been interviewed and vouched for by the superstar of this team and another member who is ramping down as (basically) "the only person we know who can replace $LEAVING_TEAMMATE"-- both are former coworkers and both have been very successful.

The whole process is taking much longer than I expected. I've been warned that the HR is Not Fast.

I guess I should treat everything as just hot air until I've got an offer and not over think any part of the process.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
You should assume it will fall through; luckily you've kept on interviewing (right?).

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

return0 posted:

You should assume it will fall through;
yarp

return0 posted:

luckily you've kept on interviewing (right?).
You already know.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Looking for some feedback on my resume. I tried to inline my language and technical skills with their relevant tasks and job experience to make space for more work experience examples.

I've worked primarily in embedded devices and for family reasons have moved to an area without any companies that need embedded developers. So I'm primarily applying to remote work, most of which is CRUD and web-based it looks like which I'm happy to do. I took a semi-local job with a company that makes a CRUD app to be able to put something on my resume that's shows I can do that kind of work. Is it better off at the bottom of my job experience list since its the position I've had that involves the least responsibility and is least impressive; or if it needs to be at the top to highlight that I've done the kind of jobs I'm applying to before?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I always organize mine newest job to oldest job because I figure my more recent experience is going to be more relevant, so it should be closer to the top.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est pass t'a rendu plus fort
I have a friend who started coding as a child, was one of the best coders of his generation, made a small software company, got acquired by a large software company, ran the large company as a CEO, got fed up and went back to programming. He has 30+ years experience with software development. Now he wants to do remote consulting for ~$100/hr. The thing is, he lives (as I do) in Croatia and most of his contacts are local. There aren't many companies here that pay that much. He tried Toptal but it discriminates based on location, so someone from EE is offered less than say from US.

He's not very keen on self-promoting and networking so I'm helping with that and will take a cut for any job I find him. I work for an American IT publishing company and I'm good with the IT department, I know personally several developers in western Europe, Dubai etc, and I can finally put my LinkedIn to use, so I do have some paths forward. Still, I'd appreciate any advice before I start working on it seriously.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is Toptal good otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est pass t'a rendu plus fort
His impression from a few years ago was that it was good but required you to be a bit proactive/pushy. Just sitting and waiting didn't get you far. It depends a lot on who they connect you with but they don't interfere much and generally it works smoothly. They are probably the best outsourcing company for this kind of work ATM.